365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dissertating And Running

+9
Schuey
Dave P
Kenny B.
dot520
Jerry
Seth Harrison
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
Michael Mitchell
13 posters

Page 6 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty Re: Dissertating And Running

Post  Kenny B. Thu May 16, 2013 10:56 am

Michael Mitchell wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:56 will happen. So did you get the inserts? You have to go back?

I have had the inserts since June 2008. I go back to get them adjusted. The next time I go is May 30. I do not want the rookies messing with me again. Smile

I get mine refurbished every year or so. I have two pair and I swear by them. 14 more days and counting for you!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty Two Pair

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu May 16, 2013 11:00 am

Yeah, I have two pair too. They cost me $250 a piece. I am using the regular ones right now for the adjusted ones are uneven (due to the first rookie mistake) and this exacerbated the problem.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu May 16, 2013 5:35 pm

Wow - expensive inserts!

I've done ART in the past - good stuff!
Just think what kind of runners we could be if we could get all the massages. and/ or other treatments that work for us on a regular basis?
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty ART Rocks

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu May 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Yes it does. I swear by it. Well, I am actually happier today than I thought I would. I ran for 30 minutes and got in 3.5 miles in. I was like, ok cool. This was before ART too. Last ten minutes were at an 8 minute pace. The last fifteen were 8:06 and below. Tomorrow, I am shooting for 56 minutes for 7 miles. I know I can do it. Also, I put in a 50 minute bike ride for good measure. I have 11 miles this week. I might run tomorrow morning to see what is going on. I might. I do know I will run at the YMCA for my run tomorrow afternoon. Gunning for 56 minutes, Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty Still Shooting For A Good Run

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri May 17, 2013 12:16 pm

So far, the calf is holding up. So far. The knot in the calf is there, but loosens up as I walk. The ART session was good. I can tell you, with ART, the results come in the days after. Will commence the run in the Sweat Tank ("Cossaboom") at 3 pm. Will start at an 8 minute pace and hold it until 56 minute mark. I will be running to Death Magnetic from Metallica. All the songs (save one..it is right at 7:45) are 8 minutes long, so 8 songs at 8 minutes a piece. I am thinking, this run will be a little hard, and then easier each run thereafter. I have an ART appointment Monday and Thursday. That should get me through this week and next week to May 30.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty OMG

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat May 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Yes, OMG. No, I do not normally use the new social vernacular, but I have to. 55:45 for 7 miles. Last two in 7:54 pace. Yeah, I am happy. Happy. The legs are good. Yeah, they were twinging, but ok. This morning, 2.15 miles in 20 minutes. I ended with 22 for the week. I can live with that. We won 5-0 today. We are 4-2-1 on the season. Gotta go.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty Sundays Are A No Go

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue May 21, 2013 9:40 am

Nope. No run on Sunday. I wanted to, but folks did not leave until 5 pm. Sigh. Ok, Monday. The run was good. Not great, but good. I had to massage the calf a couple of times, but I did it. 56 minute 7 miler. Today at 12 noon, 56 minute 7 miler. I will have to baby the calfs and soleus until May 30. I suppose I can live with that. Sigh. I have no choice. I will be running in the sweat tank (aka Cossaboom) and looks like I will be running in it tomorrow too. I have soccer practice at 6 pm, the last one of the year. It is still dicey today for severe weather "could" be affecting us. I will make the call around 5 pm, I think.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 21, 2013 10:32 am

Hooray or ART!

Sorry if I've asked this before, but do you take any mineral supplements to make up for all those you sweat out at Cossaboom? There could be a correlation between your sweat-fests and calf cramps. There are products like S-Caps and Endurolytes, but also calcium-magnesium-zinc supplements that Michele swears by after running so many years in Hotlanta.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty Supplements

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue May 21, 2013 10:48 am

No, but I make sure to drink 20-25 oz of fluids right after. Yeah Mark, I sweat a ton in that place. The sad part of it is that it is 73 degrees ( well if you believe the thermostat in the basement) but the humidity is just horrible. I run there because it is closest. With all traffic going on around the Texans branch, ( they are putting in tracks for the Metro train line), it takes forever to go and get back. I will have to suffer again this summer. Sigh.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 21, 2013 11:16 am

Well, if you haven't tried supplements, you might want to consider it -- even if only as an experiment. It might help alleviate some of the problems you have with compartment syndrome.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty Considering

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue May 21, 2013 11:18 am

Yep, I will consider it. I do take potassium from time to time...
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty Learning To Overcome

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat May 25, 2013 9:51 am

Again, I have stated and I will state before, I loathe Compartment Syndrome. I really do. The hit and miss is just agonizing. I have no idea whether I will be running for 20 minutes or 50 minutes. So far, I am ok. Dealing with it is just one of life's mysteries. Smile I ran 10 miles yesterday. You are thinking, wow. Just wow. Well, it was broken up into two parts. The first was 3.15 miles in 30 minutes. I was thinking, ok this is not too bad. It was a morning run, so I was happy. After taking our child to see Epic, then I ran a 56 minute 7 miler. Again, it was dicey, but I made it. I only had to massage the calves twice (10 seconds each). That gave me 25 miles for the week. I am thinking I will end up with 33 miles this week. Now, that is not too bad for being injured. My orthotic appointment is May 30 at 9 am, so I have that date circled on my calendar. I am just grinding it until then. My goal is to have 21-28 miles by the time I get to next Thursday. Today is a 56 minute 7 miler too with a mile warm up. I might, and stress might, run a quick 20-30 minute run this morning for we have to go to the local Chick-Fil-A for the team lunch. We won by default this morning for the opposing squad did not have enough players for a team. Being a Memorial Day weekend, I get it. Our team finished 5-2-1 for the year and I will take that. It was interesting being a coach for a sport I have no knowledge of. LOL.

Edit, I did not run Tuesday. I had a friend come in from out of town and that did that run in. I ran a 56 minute 7 miler on Wednesday at home. It was good, not great. Last 1/2 mile was dicey, but ok. Did not run Thursday, but had ART done and that helped. Since my DC will be out of town all next week, I am on my own. I am thinking ice, stretching and praying. I am keeping it at an 8 minute pace for endurance purposes only. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat May 25, 2013 3:20 pm

Gaa. Compartment syndrome sounds awful, sorry.

I am still trying to wrap my brain around how an 8-minute pace would be "for endurance only," though... I wonder if running purposefully slow -- as in, 9- or 10-minute miles, might have a beneficial effect on your compartment syndrome? Or at least not aggravate it? I have no idea if it'd help, but there may not be much harm in mixing things up experimentally.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty Explanation

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon May 27, 2013 3:24 pm

Mark B wrote:Gaa. Compartment syndrome sounds awful, sorry.

I am still trying to wrap my brain around how an 8-minute pace would be "for endurance only," though... I wonder if running purposefully slow -- as in, 9- or 10-minute miles, might have a beneficial effect on your compartment syndrome? Or at least not aggravate it? I have no idea if it'd help, but there may not be much harm in mixing things up experimentally.

Well, for me it is too slow. When I run, I want to finish. I, at times, do not enjoy it, but enjoy what it does for me. As far as the Compartment Syndrome, it rears its ugly head at 10, 9 or 8 minute pace, so I would rather go at an 8 minute pace until I am done. Going at a 10 minute pace does not do my knees well. LOL> Mixing it up, I actually do and that is my morning runs. Very rarely are they barn burners. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty Still Hanging On

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon May 27, 2013 3:30 pm

That is all I can say. I ran a 56 minute run on Saturday to give me 32 miles for the week. Sunday, I ran at home. I was bothered by all parts of my muscles, but trundled through in 55:30. Somewhat of a bright note was the last 4 miles were at a 7:54 pace. I do know the hardness of my treadmill can aggravate the Compartment Syndrome. Today. I knew I would have to leave early and run early. I ran at the YMCA. Those Procors are softer to run on. That was a relief. The run was actually ok ( although, again, all parts of my muscles were yelling at me), until the 6.5 mile mark. My Soleus started to ache badly. I mean badly. I was hanging on. I did run a 56 minute run and that gave me 14 miles for the week. Tomorrow will be at the Cossaboom branch ( another softer treadmill) at 12 noon. That will give me 24 hours for my legs to rest. I will ice them tonight and use the Stick on them. I am almost positive Wednesday's run will be at Cossaboom as well to take advantage of the softness. All points are headed toward May 30 at 9 am. That is when my inserts get adjusted. It cannot come a minute or day too soon.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon May 27, 2013 4:30 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:
Mark B wrote:Gaa. Compartment syndrome sounds awful, sorry.

Well, for me it is too slow. When I run, I want to finish. I, at times, do not enjoy it, but enjoy what it does for me. As far as the Compartment Syndrome, it rears its ugly head at 10, 9 or 8 minute pace, so I would rather go at an 8 minute pace until I am done. Going at a 10 minute pace does not do my knees well. LOL> Mixing it up, I actually do and that is my morning runs. Very rarely are they barn burners. Smile

Ah. Makes sense. Hope that insert fix helps do the job.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty Me Too

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon May 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Me too. Me too. Spent over two hours swimming with my child. I should sleep well tonight. The Soleus has eased up a lot over the past 6 hours. I hope this trend continues. I should be ok by 12 noon at Cossaboom tomorrow. It will be a sweat tank though. Smile So far, I have not had to use any GUs. Yet.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty Run Canceled

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue May 28, 2013 10:11 am

Run canceled. Sorry folks, that is the way it is. LOL. No, my soleus is just too wonkey today. I do not want to chance it. I will bike for an hour (hard) and take out my frustrations. This will give me 2 1/2 days of my soleus calming down before my next run at 4 pm on Wednesday.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty Where Ya Been Friend?

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:24 am

Wow, I have not logged in since Tuesday. Ok. LOL. Here we go. I did get 32 miles in last week. I did get my orthotics adjusted on Thursday. Thursday was not good for running. I really needed the inserts to do their job. Then Friday ( at home), Saturday ( at home), Sunday ( Lake Houston) and Monday (Texans) were all at an 8 minute pace. Things are slowly getting back to normal. I will say, however, that I am not happy with Cossaboom. I get there and the A/C is not working properly. The sewer line is backed up and the place smells. I am like, nope. Done. I head off to the Texans branch. I get the run done, but I have to take 2 hours sick time to get it all done. Come on. Really? Not sure where I will run today. It is trending like it is the Texans branch, but who knows. The first practice of t-ball was interesting. Let me say this, the first game ( we will not be there, wife and I are going on a trip to D.C., me research and she, conference) will be interesting. He plays for San Fransisco. Their mascot. I am serious. The Sponge Bobs. Oh my. I have 14 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:35 am

Could be worse.... he could play for the Crusty Crabs! (Now THAT would be a team photo to remember...)

Glad the inserts are helping... but too bad about the stinking, sweltering hellhole that is Cossaboom. Heck, in those conditions, I think just going outside and melting would be preferable. Good luck finding a new place to run.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty Change of Venue

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Yeah, Mark I know. LOL. I kinda cringed when the coach said that. LOL. Oh well. Yeah, slowly but surely I will be back. I am thinking 8 minute pace today and tomorrow, then start the trend faster. I will be running at home today. I just do not feel like going to the YMCA. It is just easier to pick my child up and get my run done at home. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty Trying To Get The Flavor Back

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:24 pm

Yesterday was a day off. Today, I had some serious progress. I can tell you I ran a 54:55 for 7 miles, but that is not the great thing. The great thing is 38:41 for the last 5 miles. Yep, 7:41 pace for the last 5. I will go a 7:41 pace tomorrow for 7 miles and maybe, just maybe 7:36 pace for Friday. That sets me up well for Saturday. We shall see. I have 21 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty Yes, I Am Back

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:55 pm

Yes, I have had two awful weeks of running. Yes, I am starting back. Yesterday, 52:53 for 7 miles under sweaty conditions. Today, I will run a 5 miler easy. Slowly coming back. I have 8 miles. Will catch you all up tomorrow.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:56 am

Wondered where you'd gotten off to. Glad to see you back!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 6 Empty Long Time Back

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:53 pm

Yeah, we went to DC for a week. It was great outdoors. Very cool. Did I run? Yes. Inside? Yes...and it was tough as nails. I think I got 21 miles that week. I did not run yesterday, but will run at 3 pm today. 53:12 is the goal point. I have to hurry for it is picture day for my son's baseball team. So it will be rush rush...
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next