365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training for a run to hell?

+5
Julie
Mrs. Schuey
Tim M
Michele "1L" Keane
Diego
9 posters

Go down

Training for a run to hell?  Empty Training for a run to hell?

Post  Diego Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:17 am

I must be mental, but I would like to train for the race on Mount Washington, NH next June. I understand one of the grades near the top is 22%. How do you train for a pure hell event where it's 7.6 miles of uphill torture?

And would a race like that actually be easier barefoot?

Jim(Diego)
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Training for a run to hell?  Empty Re: Training for a run to hell?

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:31 am

Jim - I can only tell you that I ran the Mt. Washington RR in 1985, and I was in my mid -20s, so I didn't train any different than I always trained. I did do more hill repeats. I don't remember even knowing the grade, it was mre about finishing which I did with a time that was about 10-15 min slower than my then 15K time.

Bob ran Pikes Peak last year, and I bet he can help you here.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:48 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:

Bob ran Pikes Peak last year, and I bet he can help you here.

I'm running Pikes this year, besides just logging miles and running hills my training involves lots of praying. Praying that this is just a "bucket list" race and not the actual "bucket" race.
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:53 am

jimd wrote:I must be mental, but I would like to train for the race on Mount Washington, NH next June. I understand one of the grades near the top is 22%. How do you train for a pure hell event where it's 7.6 miles of uphill torture?

Jim(Diego)

First, the barefoot part. I don't know what kind of trail it is, but would assume there would be enough small rocks and junk to make running barefoot iffy. I just picked up a pair of NB Minimus Trail shoes and love them. I know Wendy Miller has them too and is a big fan.

I'm training for Pikes and like I said, I'm logging miles for the endurance and trying to run up every hill I can find. I've also been jacking the treadmill up as high as it will go and slogging along at a 12% incline to get used to that.

If the race includes a descent, you need to practice running downhill too.
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:11 am

Jim Lentz ran Pikes as well, and I think he could help too. An incline of 22%? Holy cow! Razz
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:25 am

one of my friends ran Pikes Peak several times (the round trip). He said, do you long runs and then jump rope afterwards. I don't know, but it worked for him. He's doing it again this year, too.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:54 am

I did lots of miles at 10-15% on the treadmill leading up to Pikes Paek. Peggy once raced a half marathon and then hopped on a treadmill for a half hour at 15% for Pikes Peak.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:45 pm

jimd wrote:I must be mental, but I would like to train for the race on Mount Washington, NH next June. I understand one of the grades near the top is 22%. How do you train for a pure hell event where it's 7.6 miles of uphill torture?

Jim(Diego)

No Jim I don't think your mental I think you are as normal as any of us runners come! I don't know if you have some trails or mountains near you that would have similar terrain to train on but I'm sure that would help. The other thing that I would suggest and this would work if you are member of a gym or could join one for the training for this race that has treadmill by motion something darn the name is slipping my mind right now. But our gym has them and they go up to some crazy incline that is higher then 22% and they also do a 3% decline.

I think that would really help you and for the rest I think that I would approach the rest of the training like you do any other distance that you train for. The only difference would be changing the paces you train at. Hope that helps but I most likely I wasn't much of a help sorry about that. Oh maybe you should do what Julie said "run and then jump rope" I like that idea that sounds like it would be a pretty tough leg workout. Or how about doing some type of leg weight lifting or is that to much for you to do all at once?
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:32 am

In addition to what everyone has said: calves. Strengthen them until they're iron.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:30 am

There was an article on the Mt Washington race in Runner's World a month or two ago. You might be able to find it online.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down