365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

August Running Times Issue

5 posters

Go down

August Running Times Issue Empty August Running Times Issue

Post  Schuey Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:15 pm

If you haven' done so yet I would suggest picking up the August issue of Running Times. Besides it being an overall great issue there were two articles that really stood out and I feel I worth reading and pondering over.

1. "Decoding the Signals Getting beyond platitudes on when and when not, to listen to your body"

2. "Can't Hurry Love Why aided, quick recovery from workouts may be counterproductive"

It appears that ice baths are no longer a good thing. It's startling, but the theory makes sense, and there are a couple of interesting studies.

I could find any links to post since the issue just came out.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

August Running Times Issue Empty Re: August Running Times Issue

Post  fostever Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Right, especially ice baths all the time. Letting the body heal itself means some pain and a little swelling, but pain can mean gain that is incremental. They do mention that the ice baths serve the purpose of quick recovery especially for elites who have to run multiple races like in between qualifying races and finals. Ice on severely injured target areas (i.e. ankle sprains,) of course, speeds healing. Great article, yes, right you are!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:21 pm

As a long time believer is ice baths, I'll have to read the article before responding. Sounds interesting.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:35 pm

The #2, Jerry believes he stated before. It's on Internet somewhere. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:46 pm

Looks like this article may be a tad different, but still has the same general message - Ice baths can impede recovery.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=21202

Sorry, I don't buy it. The article focuses solely on the anti-inflammatory benefits to an ice bath, which though part of the point, does not tell the whole story. Perhaps the bigger benefit is what occurs during the warming process, when the body flushes your cold legs with new, fresh blood. Read this quote:

Once the skin is no longer in contact with the cold source, the underlying tissues warm up, causing a return of faster blood flow, which helps return the byproducts of cellular breakdown to the lymph system for efficient recycling by the body. "Ice baths don't only suppress inflammation, but help to flush harmful metabolic debris out of your muscles," says David Terry, M.D.

In other words, the ice bath triggers the exact "natural" healing process referred to in the Running Times article.

Verdict: ICE ON MY FRIENDS!

Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:52 pm

The guy who Salazar just canned, Steve Magness, is a big believer in doing ice baths the day after a hard workout. Food for thought...
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down