365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

+26
mul21
fostever
Mark B
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
GregC
Jim Lentz
Seth Harrison
jon c
Penelope
Matt W
Alex Kubacki
ChasMcG
Schuey
JohnP
Paula Sue
Kenny B.
Tom H
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Nick Morris
Natalie
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Julie
30 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 4 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:24 am

Glad you are feeling somewhat better looks like you got a decent run in and hopefully you should be set up nicely for your long run Sunday!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 4 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:34 pm

Nice to see you finally starting to get better. I hope you nail the 20M. You may want to make sure you're good and hydrated for it and hopefully maintaining the hydration during.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:13 pm

Looks like you may be finally shaking that bug...Good luck this weekend on your 20 miler!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Ah, 20 miles in this humidity....stay hydrated!!! Best of luck! Enjoy every stride!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:53 pm

I try to keep my Sunday runs in the back of my mind so they don't loom over me all weekend. I agree with the hydration advice, with the humidity you've mentioned, take plenty. Usually I take money to buy some Gatorade or water as I can't carry enough with me when it's pretty warm and humid.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:30 pm

Julie, I hope today's run went well and you're all set for a strong 20 tomorrow! Good luck in the humidity. Keep hydrated!!!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:24 pm

[img]Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 4 July92011022[/img]

Thanks everyone! I had a good 6.5 mile run except I was foolish and left my water at home. Still have the last bits of the sinus infection, why do they love to hang on so long....but I feel like the 20 miler should be OK tomorrow (aside from the t-storms in the forecast). I'm running with a friend who wants to run 18-20 and has a Garmin so I'm sure we'll make the mileage even if it's a bit slower.

Not entirely related, but my daughter got a bike for her birthday (she turns 2 on the 20th) so she and my husband are helmet shopping right now. I'm excited and hope she likes it. She sees her daddy bike to work every day so I think she has pretty good impression of biking (since of course Daddy is an awesome hero to her...he really is a good dad).

So if it all works out maybe she can bike and I can run along side her. Either way I hope to get her out a little and have fun. It's a bike with detachable training wheels. I'll put some cute pictures up later.

Edit : I took a few pictures, is there a way to just attach them or do I need to upload to Photobucket first to have the img code?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Julie, she's adorable! That hair! I love it!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:17 am

such a cute picture!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:04 pm

Very cute!

How did the 20 go?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks, I'll put more pics up later so you can actually see her. She is excited about the bike helmet.

I started running this morning and realized how humid/hot it was at 4:45 a.m. Met 2 of my friends and they said several times, it's not going to be 20 today, not wise, too hot (we were in a heat advisory already at 4 a.m. according to one of them, I'm not sure but it was 76 degrees and extremely humid). Anyway, it was pretty slow going and between that and some stomach problems, we only went 12. Yeah, really shortened. I thought about tacking a few more miles on but I didn't see the point because we were doing so much walking anyway. So sorry to report that, I don't even really feel sick any more so it wasn't that, just absolutely hot and humid and I kind of wimped out/listened to my body and friends and decided to take it easier....
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:09 pm

Julie wrote:Thanks, I'll put more pics up later so you can actually see her. She is excited about the bike helmet.

I started running this morning and realized how humid/hot it was at 4:45 a.m. Met 2 of my friends and they said several times, it's not going to be 20 today, not wise, too hot (we were in a heat advisory already at 4 a.m. according to one of them, I'm not sure but it was 76 degrees and extremely humid). Anyway, it was pretty slow going and between that and some stomach problems, we only went 12. Yeah, really shortened. I thought about tacking a few more miles on but I didn't see the point because we were doing so much walking anyway. So sorry to report that, I don't even really feel sick any more so it wasn't that, just absolutely hot and humid and I kind of wimped out/listened to my body and friends and decided to take it easier....

Yep it was a wet sauna here today. Don't blame you for cutting it short.

Love the pic of your daughter. Can't believe it wasn't too many years ago Hannah was two. Sigh....
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm really lucky here in that should I need to on an ultra hot, unrunnable day, I can split the run up between the indoor track at the gym and outside. I run there, run the track, run home. Great attempt though and hopefully you can make it up on a better day.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:14 pm

Priceless picture - thanks for sharing it! They grow up too fast... Under the circumstances, I wouldn't sweat (no pun intended) the long run. 12 miles is nothing to shake a stick at and tomorrow is the start of another week...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:28 pm

4:45am on a weekend. And I thought by 6:00am runs were early on Sunday's!

I know it was a bit warm and very humid but do you wonder why you are not able to finish a 20 if you have ramped up properly? Doing 12 out of 20 is cutting short by quite a bit. Is it hydration during the week, during the run, over training? Or is it just too hot for you period the end?

I always feel I can get the run if trained properly hydrating well and at times slowing my pace.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:38 am

I'm wondering if your body was recovered yet to do this kind of run especially in those conditions. Just put it in the book and move on. Nice picture.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:34 am

It was horribly humid. 20 would have been awful. Don't feel bad about it....move on!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:52 am

jon c wrote:
Yep it was a wet sauna here today. Don't blame you for cutting it short.

Love the pic of your daughter. Can't believe it wasn't too many years ago Hannah was two. Sigh....

Don't they just grow up fast? I know everyone tells you that, but I can't believe I gave birth almost 2 years ago. She has very strong language/verbal skills too so she just doesn't seem that young in many ways.

Natalie Wolf wrote:I'm really lucky here in that should I need to on an ultra hot, unrunnable day, I can split the run up between the indoor track at the gym and outside. I run there, run the track, run home. Great attempt though and hopefully you can make it up on a better day.

Yeah, I would be all for indoor running some days, more for the snow/ice than the heat but I forgot how miserable the heat can be.

John Kilpatrick wrote:Priceless picture - thanks for sharing it! They grow up too fast... Under the circumstances, I wouldn't sweat (no pun intended) the long run. 12 miles is nothing to shake a stick at and tomorrow is the start of another week...

Thanks!

Kenny B. wrote:4:45am on a weekend. And I thought by 6:00am runs were early on Sunday's!

I know it was a bit warm and very humid but do you wonder why you are not able to finish a 20 if you have ramped up properly? Doing 12 out of 20 is cutting short by quite a bit. Is it hydration during the week, during the run, over training? Or is it just too hot for you period the end?

I always feel I can get the run if trained properly hydrating well and at times slowing my pace.

Kenny, thank you for this....I read it before I left for my morning run and didn't have time to reply. And I thought about why I only ran 12 and how I would answer this. My biggest thought was that my friends convinced me it was too hot, why bother, do it another day because it really isn't every day we're in a heat advisory. I had really thought I'd keep with the 20 until we were about 6-8 miles in and then I figured I'd just do what I could. I have a few other things going on with health/had some tummy/abdominal pain but nothing I would normally complain about. I was not over trained by any means, on the contrary, I've taken it really easy the last 10 days with having a sinus infection and all that. I really am pretty good about hydration, too, although I didn't eat anything during my run and that would have helped.

Alex Kubacki wrote:I'm wondering if your body was recovered yet to do this kind of run especially in those conditions. Just put it in the book and move on. Nice picture.

Thanks Alex, unfortunately it looks to be a hot week and next Sunday doesn't look much better.

Peg Coover wrote:It was horribly humid. 20 would have been awful. Don't feel bad about it....move on!

Thanks Peg!

Well, I had planned just to do an easy 6 with a group I normally meet but no one showed up. I figured it was a good opportunity to just run 10 miles before my husband had to leave for work. Then I got the idea that maybe I could get Jocelyn in the jogging stroller when I got home, get more to drink/bathroom all that, and then head out for at least 5 but maybe even 10 miles with her. She normally is a little champ with 5 miles actually she asks to go for jogging stroller runs and really enjoys them now. We were still in a heat advisory and will be until tonight. When I started out this morning at 5:15 it was 76 degrees and 72% humidity. I ran 10 just under 10:00 pace average and really felt better than I did yesterday, maybe because there was a little breeze and that helped.

I got home, told my husband my idea and he thought it would be OK. I got Jocelyn a sippy cup with ice water and made sure she drank before I left, too. I took her out on the trail out and back for 5 miles, she ate a few pretzels and had some water, was talking to me, sounded just fine and happy. After 5 miles I asked her if she'd like to run more and she said yes so I told her we'd try for another 5 to make my 20. We took off again and found some more hills for the last few miles and I'm not going to pretend that I was running the whole time. I took quite a few walk breaks and checked her very frequently to make sure she wasn't getting too warm. She was fine, once I asked if she was OK and she said "no, the red button has germs on it" because I pressed the cross walk button. Then she said the cars were too loud on the road but she wasn't too hot...We made it back home, 20 miles, I'm sure the last 10 were slower than the first 10 but I'm really not concerned. The sun came out and 82 degrees 76% humidity accdg to weather dot com. It also says calm and there were only 2 mph winds earlier but it still felt better than yesterday, I am convinced.

So there is my story, I ran 20 miles on a Monday morning. I was looking at my training plan yesterday and was kind of annoyed at myself that I didn't hit my goal last wkend either (although I was sick and I know that I needed the rest) but it feels good to feel more on track now. Thanks all for the encouragement and accountability! If I didn't have to report to anyone I might not have cared so much. Jocelyn wasn't even sweaty when we got home so I think it was fine to take her out but if anyone has different jogging stroller and little kid standards, let me know, I'm open to suggestions/feed back.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:42 am

That is awesome Julie!!! What a toughie you are! Jocyln is too cute! Germs on the button!!! Hee hee! It was overcast here and felt so much better than yesterday did.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:54 pm

A true runner getting in the 20 no matter what! Great job!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:01 pm

Very nice job getting in the 20, Julie!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Julie, great job on the 20! What focus and determination you demonstrated - and to top it off did the hotter half of it pushing the jogging stroller. Way to go!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:52 pm

I may run in 100 plus heat index, but never have with a jogging stroller. Your daughter seems to have an edge to her too! Smile I agree that it is not as humid as yesterday but still plenty of moisture in the air.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:36 pm

Very impressive. One thing I'd caution on is to take the next few days very easy. I did a 20 miler with a jogging stroller once, and was sore for much longer than usual. It may have just been me, but it seemed to have used different muscles.

Anyway, very nice job. The thought of doing that now makes me weak and queasy.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Great job with the 20 Julie. That shows a lot of mental toughness.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next