365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

+26
mul21
fostever
Mark B
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
GregC
Jim Lentz
Seth Harrison
jon c
Penelope
Matt W
Alex Kubacki
ChasMcG
Schuey
JohnP
Paula Sue
Kenny B.
Tom H
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Nick Morris
Natalie
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Julie
30 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 12 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:59 am

Julie, way to nail the MP miles run. You are ready to clean out at the race. Like everyone else has said about the last 12 you were not tapered and did this during peak training. That was the point. I'm sure now the early miles of the marathon will feel real easy to you. Great job.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 12 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:15 am

Julie wrote:Thanks all.

Rested today, will try the rolling pin. I guess I'll skip speed work for the week since there are only so many runs I can do at the end of the week.

I guess I will see how it feels in the morning and either rest again or just do a few easy miles.

Good call...Good luck!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:29 pm

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 12 Rollingpin

I've been using the rolling pin, and of course little miss learn by example had to try, too.

Knee feels OK, just a little sore to touch. New shoes and will run easy in the a.m.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:53 pm

Awe! How adorable!

Good thing I didn't suggest a piece of PVC pipe (which I've done as well since I could get it in the plant I used to work at).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Like mother, like daughter Smile

Good luck on your run tomorrow morning. Remember to take it easy and don't try to push it even if it feels ok.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:43 pm

Another great picture! They still try to imitate you at age 9 FYI. Guess that phase won't end at least for a little bit longer. Hope the knee heals up nicely. Training is tough on us! If we can adapt, it makes us stronger.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 pm

Julie great long run and MP miles. Let me let you in on a little secret I have a very very hard time nailing MP runs in training. I don't think I had one training cycle were I hit my MP pace for more then 5 miles on a long run.

I can remember have the same thoughts as you how in the hell am I going to run x pace for 26.2 miles when I can't do it on a training run?

So here is what I learned and what you have to keep in mind:

1. Even though you get your mind ready for these runs it's still a training run and you are not nearly as pumped for it as you will be on race day.

2. You are not tapered you are doing this run on tired legs and lots of miles from past weeks of training, so the effect and the effort is that much harder.

3. Goes with number 2 and 1 come race day your body will be rested and tapered and the mind will be focused to go and trusted me the effort will feel that much easier.

What these long runs at MP will do for you is prepare you for what it will feel like late in the race let's say after 20 miles. Now since you know what it feels like and you know that you can push through and get the run done you will be able to draw on that on race day. When you are in the late miles and you feel tired and the legs are heavy and you feel you can't do it. You can draw on this past weekends experience and you will be familiar with it and you will be able to push through and get it done.

Again great job Julie and don't get down on yourself over this run. Like I said and believe me I have never had a good MP run durning my training cycles. You are doing great just keep at it and believe that when race day comes you will be ready to handle the task at hand.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:31 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Awe! How adorable!

Good thing I didn't suggest a piece of PVC pipe (which I've done as well since I could get it in the plant I used to work at).

Ha, yeah no PVC pipes around here. She and our kitten were both excited to see the rolling pin. Thanks for the advice!

Nick Morris wrote:Like mother, like daughter Smile

Good luck on your run tomorrow morning. Remember to take it easy and don't try to push it even if it feels ok.

Thanks Nick!

jon c wrote:Another great picture! They still try to imitate you at age 9 FYI. Guess that phase won't end at least for a little bit longer. Hope the knee heals up nicely. Training is tough on us! If we can adapt, it makes us stronger.

Thanks Jon, yeah I don't think it ends. I reminded my mom of a bunch of phrases/values she taught us growing up last week. She didn't know I was listening...just good stuff, first you work, then you play, anything worth doing is worth doing right, all those hard-working mom phrases. Very Happy

Schuey wrote:
What these long runs at MP will do for you is prepare you for what it will feel like late in the race let's say after 20 miles. Now since you know what it feels like and you know that you can push through and get the run done you will be able to draw on that on race day. When you are in the late miles and you feel tired and the legs are heavy and you feel you can't do it. You can draw on this past weekends experience and you will be familiar with it and you will be able to push through and get it done.

Again great job Julie and don't get down on yourself over this run. Like I said and believe me I have never had a good MP run durning my training cycles. You are doing great just keep at it and believe that when race day comes you will be ready to handle the task at hand.

Thanks much, Martin! So you think that running 17 miles with just 14 of them at MP since they are on un-tapered legs and body, would help me feel how I will at the last 14 miles of the race not the first 14? I hope so. I am hoping everything comes together on race day.

This morning I ran about 6 miles with the jogging stroller, pretty easy pace. I felt a few twinges in my knee, hard to explain but like it feels a little loose. I stretched really well after the run and will be icing here in a minute.

Still not sure what I'm doing the rest of the week, maybe do another easy run tomorrow depending upon how everything feels. This is definitely not the worst injury I've gotten. The first few blocks I could feel in and then off and on a couple of times the last couple of miles but really nothing all that bad. Then again I want to heal up completely before race day in just 4.5 weeks.

I'm really hoping to have a good week next week before I start my taper.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Trying to catch up here, Julie. You've had an excellent training period and your paced long run was good. The resulting knee pain is a little intimidating. I'd think IT Band (like Michele) if it were on the outside of your knee. But what you are describing is on the inside and sounds more like an over-use injury trying to raise it's ugly head. There's a ligament on the inside that can become irritated. Ice is definitely the answer...along with an anti-inflamatory like Ibuprofen or Naprosen (Aleve). Are you running on a road with a pretty sizable crown? Sometimes that can cause the problem too. If so, either try to run in the middle (I hope you're in the country or on a lightly trafficed road), or go against the rules and switch sides every mile for now. Usually it's 'run back on the same side you run out on' but you need the change up a little sooner. It's like switching directions when running on the track oval...keeps you from being 'lopsided'.

Since your training has gone so well, if the pain continues your best bet is to get to a sports orthopedic doc and/or PT. Also, if you have a pool at your disposal, pool running will help too. That's where I hope to be in about 3 weeks!
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Paula Sue,

Thank you very much for your input. I was looking at a diagram of the knee the other evening and my best guess is that is a ligament especially since it's something I can move with my fingers, not just a general sore spot. It is a tendon or ligament or something like that, something specific.

I typically run mostly on side streets so some of them do have a crown or camber and I usually end up as far left as I can although there isn't much traffic when I run at 5-something most mornings.

I think I need to remember that ibuprofen could actually help since I tend to think of it as a pain masker and I generally avoid it just because too much can irritate my stomach. I have been icing, stretching, using the rolling pin again today.

I could stay off the side streets and do more sidewalk running if you think that would help. I could do trails too but they're too gravely to use the stroller on and I don't feel safe running on them when it's dark out so that makes it pretty rare that I could use them.

I think I'll do another easy run tomorrow, stick with the ice and ibuprofen and hope things improve.

edit - one of my running friends is a PT so I feel pretty comfortable asking her for knee/injury advice, too.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:34 pm

Julie wrote:my best guess is that is a ligament especially since it's something I can move with my fingers, not just a general sore spot.

My guess as well...

Julie wrote:...do more sidewalk running if you think that would help. I could do trails too but they're too gravely to use the stroller on and I don't feel safe running on them when it's dark out so that makes it pretty rare that I could use them.

Trails or even golf course cart paths (early in the morning) would probably be best. I'd stay away from cement side walks. That could give you other issues because the surface is so hard.
Julie wrote:I think I'll do another easy run tomorrow, stick with the ice and ibuprofen and hope things improve.

Due to stomach issues, make sure you take ibuprofen, naproxene or any other anti-inflamatory with some food...cracker, yogurt, milk, etc. Anti-inflams just take out the inflamation. They really aren't pain relievers. On the other hand, Tylenol (acetaminophen) is a pain reliever and does mask pain.
Julie wrote:edit - one of my running friends is a PT so I feel pretty comfortable asking her for knee/injury advice, too.

Definitely time to have a visit with her!
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:35 pm

That picture is too cute! You have a heck of a training partner there. Take care of that knee - I'm hoping it is going to do really nice things for you in the near future!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:32 am

Nice picture Julie. How were the new running shoes?
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:23 am

Thanks John and Alex.

New shoes felt good. I ran this morning 7 mi GA, just felt a few tweaks but nothing really big. I do feel improved from earlier this week and will continue the ice and ibuprofen. I saw my PT friend and she thought it might be my meniscus and suggested I do quad strengthening.

I think I'll keep taking it easy the rest of the week and then hope to get back on track with my training program next week which is the last week before tapering. This has all gone so fast, it's hard to believe it's almost fall and we're gearing up for fall marathons (or tapering for them).
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:54 am

Sorry to hear about knee. Seems you are able to run through it but just continue to work the solution. About a month ago I had some inside knee pain and I could not for my life figure out what it was. I looked at what changed in the 1-2 weeks the pain was there and one was my orthodics being refurbished and feeling slightly off the other was I incorporated a new abs exercises where you stand and take cables and pull them across your body. What this does it put a bit of a strain on my knees. So I stopped that and got my orthodics fixed all in the same week and since then no issues.

Point is look to see what you might have done different and eliminate one thing at a time because it may have nothing to do with a running injury!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks Kenny, I was thinking and I wonder if it might have been the yard work after my long run since I know I wasn't wearing the best shoes and did a lot of bending picking up tree branches and twigs. Plausible? Or pulling my little girl around in her wagon since I'm probably bending down a little pulling that? I don't know but it doesn't really seem worse when I run than when I walk so maybe it's not from running.

I really wanted a semi-long run midweek and that didn't happen and since I have 17 for Sunday I think it might be coming up too soon to try to do a 10-11 miler tomorrow. Maybe do 8 or something, just see how it feels. I really want to get back into running. It's already affecting my mood as I've been kind of blah all week.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:40 pm

Great running! I have a feeling you're going to be ready to PR this one. I hope your knee feels better. Good that you're almost there as far as the training, and I bet the reduced running in the taper will help it out a lot. I agree with Paula Sue. Ice, ice, ice, and more ice. And aleve. Hopefully it'll go away quickly for you, and it's good that you have your friend that's a PT. Keep up the great work!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:23 pm

Julie, the pictures you post are awesome, it's so funny to see your daughter mimic you. About your knee, it's possible that your brain is just playing with you. You are in the toughest time of the program, right before taper. I think taper can heal almost all minor issues so hopefully you can push it next week as you want to. But you sound aware enough to realize if something does seem serious. It would be good to have your friend look at it, hopefully it is nothing.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:03 am

Julie wrote:Thanks Kenny, I was thinking and I wonder if it might have been the yard work after my long run since I know I wasn't wearing the best shoes and did a lot of bending picking up tree branches and twigs. Plausible? Or pulling my little girl around in her wagon since I'm probably bending down a little pulling that? I don't know but it doesn't really seem worse when I run than when I walk so maybe it's not from running.

I really wanted a semi-long run midweek and that didn't happen and since I have 17 for Sunday I think it might be coming up too soon to try to do a 10-11 miler tomorrow. Maybe do 8 or something, just see how it feels. I really want to get back into running. It's already affecting my mood as I've been kind of blah all week.

Yes, you never know what little thing could have triggered the knee to become inflammed. I think that you are taking the right approach with taking things easy. I know it was a week that you ar enot too happy about, but you have stilll been able to get workouts in and maintain fitness. You will be fine in a little bit and probably be rested up just enough to rock it at Appleton.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:24 am

So what did you end up running this morning Julie? How'd the knee hold up?
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:59 am

Thanks Kathy, John, Nick, and Alex,

Just quick because I gotta take the kitten to the vet but I just did 6 miles with the jogging stroller. Funny thing is my right knee feels fine and now my left knee feels sore in the same spot. But it wasn't anything that was making me feel like I needed to stop. My legs felt pretty heavy and slow going uphill but it was also a little headwind with the jogging stroller and that does add some pretty good drag.

tomorrow I'll do 6 or so and then aim for 17 on Sunday if everything holds up. Still hoping for a solid week next week and then I've looked at the last 3 weeks and they seem pretty reasonable since it's the start of tapering.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:33 pm

6 GA today felt pretty good, mild knee soreness during the run and some specific pain in both knees off and on today at work.

Tomorrow 17 miler with a friend.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:46 pm

You're so close to taper and the magic healing power it has, just back off enough to get there! Can you wear an ice bag at work? I use an ankle wrap around a plastic bag of ice just to reduce any swelling after a hard run, it works pretty well though I'm not sure about the knee.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:59 am

Thanks John! I can't wear ice bag at work, but I only work one day/week so I can the rest of the week. I think it's partly my body breaking down from all the training and party being hyper aware of my little soreness and pains in anticipation of the marathon.

Ran 17 miles this morning with a friend, 60-some degrees, 97% humidity so felt a bit warmer than I thought it would. I could feel a little dull pain in my knees but nothing that really slowed me down although this run was quite a bit slower than last weekend being just a regular long run.

Tomorrow will be a rest day and hopefully do some more healing with the knee and everything else.

1 more long run, a 20 next Sunday and then it's taper time! I'm getting excited. Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:52 am

Nice job getting in the 17 miler with mild discomfort in the knee Julie. I hope it continues to heal. Nail that last 20, and than let the magic taper do its work!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next