365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

+26
mul21
fostever
Mark B
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
GregC
Jim Lentz
Seth Harrison
jon c
Penelope
Matt W
Alex Kubacki
ChasMcG
Schuey
JohnP
Paula Sue
Kenny B.
Tom H
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Nick Morris
Natalie
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Julie
30 posters

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 13 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  jon c Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:08 pm

Yes, it is nice to know that the hardest part of the journey is coming to an end. Hopefully the remaining time will be that of improving, healing, and refining your focus for the race itself. Hope the knee will continue to improve.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 13 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:40 pm

jon c wrote:Yes, it is nice to know that the hardest part of the journey is coming to an end. Hopefully the remaining time will be that of improving, healing, and refining your focus for the race itself. Hope the knee will continue to improve.

+1

Just be careful - great job on getting the 17 done. I guess your family has been through this before, but do they realize the craziness that is about to ensue over the next few weeks as you begin to taper bounce?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:01 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Just be careful - great job on getting the 17 done. I guess your family has been through this before, but do they realize the craziness that is about to ensue over the next few weeks as you begin to taper bounce?
I'm looking forward to Julie's craziness as she goes through taper!
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:34 am

Great job on the 17 Julie. You're just about there.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:26 am

A little knee pain is nothing to worry about. Wink
Any ambitious plans for the 20?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:26 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:Nice job getting in the 17 miler with mild discomfort in the knee Julie. I hope it continues to heal. Nail that last 20, and than let the magic taper do its work!

Thanks Seth! I think a rest day today helped, too.

jon c wrote:Yes, it is nice to know that the hardest part of the journey is coming to an end. Hopefully the remaining time will be that of improving, healing, and refining your focus for the race itself. Hope the knee will continue to improve.

Thanks Jon!

John Kilpatrick wrote:

+1

Just be careful - great job on getting the 17 done. I guess your family has been through this before, but do they realize the craziness that is about to ensue over the next few weeks as you begin to taper bounce?

Well, they have been warned. Laughing I'll be crazy and want to run more and complain about not running enough and blah blah blah need to run to burn off all this stress but I hope to put all that energy into some good fall cleaning and outside work. We'll see.

JohnP wrote:
John Kilpatrick wrote:Just be careful - great job on getting the 17 done. I guess your family has been through this before, but do they realize the craziness that is about to ensue over the next few weeks as you begin to taper bounce?
I'm looking forward to Julie's craziness as she goes through taper!

Thanks John! How many toenail posts can a person make? Smile

Alex Kubacki wrote:Great job on the 17 Julie. You're just about there.

Thanks Alex, you too! Looking forward to seeing how your race goes, too.

Mike MacLellan wrote:A little knee pain is nothing to worry about. Wink
Any ambitious plans for the 20?

Thanks Mike, well, to run it...no time goal for the 20, I'd like to be pain free and really figure out some good eating Thurs-Sat so I don't have any bathroom problems but I think it should be OK.

Today's a rest day, feels good, tomorrow I believe 5 mile recovery with 5 x 100m. 2 10 mile workouts this week before the 20...should be a good week.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Sounds like you have a good running week planned, Julie.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:13 pm

I am glad to hear that the knee pain is starting to go away. If you can make it through this week ok, taper will help heal it up. Be careful with your last big week. Put the milage in, but do it safely...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:30 pm

Looking good as always Jules!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:05 am

Thanks Jim, Nick, and Peg

I will keep being careful, yesterday's day off felt good and then today I ran about 7 miles recovery pace and then 6x100m strides at the end. Tomorrow is speed work 1200m x 4? with 10 miles total so hopefully I'm up for the challenge. Still iced and ibuprofened after today's run. It didn't hurt really during the run after the first few blocks but sore after it was done.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:52 pm

Julie wrote:Thanks Jim, Nick, and Peg

I will keep being careful, yesterday's day off felt good and then today I ran about 7 miles recovery pace and then 6x100m strides at the end. Tomorrow is speed work 1200m x 4? with 10 miles total so hopefully I'm up for the challenge. Still iced and ibuprofened after today's run. It didn't hurt really during the run after the first few blocks but sore after it was done.

Sounds like the Is (ice and ibuprofen) are a good perscription.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:22 am

It's probably late now, but I would make sure you monitor yourself closely during the speed work. If you feel anything I'd shut it down and just run easy.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:57 am

Nick - yeah, the ibuprofen is helping and I need to get better about remembering to ice but it's helping.

Alex, thanks, yeah I did my speed work out this morning but was being careful and trying to listen to my body.

Today was 10 miles total with 1200m x 4 with 2 min. recovery jog between. I don't have my watch too close by right now but it was each split was between 6:00 and 6:20 so pretty close to my goal. It's humid out there, 93% , 73 dew point, 75 degrees. I was thinking, this workout is at 5K pace but I can't imagine running a 5K in this weather.

I was being careful and my knee felt pretty good. After the 2nd 1200 it was a little sore and then the last couple of miles were pretty slow, combination of the humidity and just some general soreness no real sharp pain anywhere. I did take ibuprofen this a.m. before I ran.

tomorrow I'm taking a rest day and then hope for 10 miles on Friday just med-long pace. Getting ready to taper!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:51 am

Coming into taper, I would be surprised if some 5k speedwork (especially 1200s!) didn't make you a bit sore. Enjoy your 48hrs of rest!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Woo hoo!! Taper is right around the corner! You'll be one of the first on here with the MADNESS...

Nice workout this morning Cool
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:40 am

Great interval workout in those conditions Julie. You should be seeing that light at the end of the tunnel.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:43 am

Good job! I can't imagine doing any speedwork with my marathon training--all these miles are starting to feel like a lot! I'm impressed you can keep it up!!!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:06 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Coming into taper, I would be surprised if some 5k speedwork (especially 1200s!) didn't make you a bit sore. Enjoy your 48hrs of rest!

Thanks Mike! You make one day off sound like 2 days. Very Happy

Nick Morris wrote:Woo hoo!! Taper is right around the corner! You'll be one of the first on here with the MADNESS...

Nice workout this morning Cool

Yeah maybe I can surpass your post count while I taper! Shocked

Alex Kubacki wrote:Great interval workout in those conditions Julie. You should be seeing that light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks Alex, yes, my training program is more filled in than not. Hard to believe it's coming to a close.

Peg Coover wrote:Good job! I can't imagine doing any speedwork with my marathon training--all these miles are starting to feel like a lot! I'm impressed you can keep it up!!!

Thanks Peg! Well, like I said, we'll see how it pays off on race day but the half marathon repeats I did a few months ago have definitely gotten easier and I do feel like I've pushed myself this training cycle and as long as my knees are fine on race day I think I've done all I could. Now to keep praying for good weather on race day.

Rest day today, will run 10 GA tomorrow.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:42 pm

Enjoy the 10 GA miles tomorrow, Julie.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Sounds like your knee is holding up okay, which is good. Your runs are looking pretty solid as well. Best of luck on the 20 this weekend, too. Almost there! And you have all of us to share in your taper madness Smile
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:46 pm

Good luck with your 10 miler...and with catching my post count Razz
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:47 am

Jim Lentz wrote:Enjoy the 10 GA miles tomorrow, Julie.

Thanks Jim.

Penelope wrote:Sounds like your knee is holding up okay, which is good. Your runs are looking pretty solid as well. Best of luck on the 20 this weekend, too. Almost there! And you have all of us to share in your taper madness Smile

Thanks Kathy! Yeah it will be fun to taper, in a way.

Nick Morris wrote:Good luck with your 10 miler...and with catching my post count Razz

Thanks Nick! I guess I could keep chipping away at my yard work instead of posting here.

10 mile GA was not good. My knee started hurting around mile 4 and I almost stopped at mile 6 (I did a 6 mile loop then a 4 mile and was at home at mile 6) but decided to just go for 10 because I didn't think it would really get worse. Mile 8 left meniscus, I believe, was quite painful and I walked up a small hill then, took more walking breaks the last 2 miles to get me home.

Now I am wondering what to do with my 20 miler on Sunday. I am not running through that much pain just to say I did a 3rd 20 miler this cycle. I know it would look good on paper but I don't want to be limping through my last 10 miles of the marathon, either. Tomorrow is supposed to be 4 miles recovery, thinking about just resting instead then playing it by ear Sunday.

I hate to cut out a key run but I hate even more to just make things worse. I feel like I am otherwise in very good shape, for me, and can still have a good marathon if I am not injured in 3 weeks. If my knee hurts this badly in 3 weeks then I am not going for a PR, I will try to get another state but that's about all I can hope for if I'm messing with an injury.

Any ideas or advice, especially re: Sunday's scheduled 20?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:01 am

Sounds to me like your "listen to what your body tells you" approach is the way to go. If you feel up to it, go ahead and do it, if not or if your knee starts complaining along the way, don't be afraid to bail as you really have already put the training in. You ultimately will not lose much of anything fitness wise, but you could potentially put yourself out of a race. As always, my opinion only.

That being said, hope the knee will resolve before the race especially.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks Jon,

I just asked a friend I run with and she said take 2 days off and see how it is Monday. The single days haven't done the trick yet so we'll see what 2 days do. It seems to take more discipline to not run than to run. Bring on the frozen peas and ibuprofen.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:20 pm

I agree that a little time away from running is in order.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next