365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bayshore Marathon Big PR

+10
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
amyjoann
fostever
Peg Coover
Michael Enright
Alex Kubacki
Mark B
ounce
carleenp
14 posters

Go down

Bayshore Marathon Big PR Empty Bayshore Marathon Big PR

Post  carleenp Mon May 28, 2012 9:29 pm

Short version: Awesome race! Old PR 4:46:05, new PR 4:28:48

Long version: Bayshore was a number of firsts for me. This was the first marathon training I have done injury free, other than for a freak cut on my foot that I don't really count as a running injury. It also was the first where I felt like my legs were truly fresh from the taper and I itching to run. Before I always still felt a bit sore going into my race. Finally, it was my first marathon where I felt strong the whole way through.

I felt like I had pretty good training for this one. I experimented a bit and did my long runs on a 10-12 day schedule in order to have more recovery and get in more medium long runs. I think that worked well for me except for when I had to take a week off and then it put them too far apart. At the end I was back on a pretty normal weekly schedule because of that.

The race day turned out perfect in terms of weather. The course is also exactly what I like. Generally flat, but with a fair amount of small rolls built in. Only a couple were enough for me to call them small hills. Most were just slight inclines and declines that didn't affect pace more than a few seconds. I like how that breaks things up in terms of muscle use and it keeps things interesting.

I was going for 4:30:00 but thought that was a lofty goal. I had trained more for 4:35:00, but when most of my pace runs ended up at a bit faster pace than that and when I had a good test pace run at the IL half between my two twenty milers, I decided to try for a 10:15 pace and see what happened.

I hovered around that pace the whole way, with a few 10:06 miles where I think they happened to be more downhill than up and one around 10:25 that was the only real hill of sorts on the course (although I still wouldn't call it a hill). At the half I felt great and thought, "well maybe I will get my goal." At 15 I thought "I probably have this." At 20 I thought "I got it and maybe I can get 4:28:00 range." I didn't really feel tired until mile 25, which is totally new for me. I normally drag those last 6. From 25 to 26, I just held on and still pulled out my pace and kicked it in at the end for the 4:28:48. Needless to say I am thrilled with that!

Here are my Garmin splits if anyone is interested: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/182189451

I feel good after, although my quads are killing me and my second toe on each foot is swollen. I guess there was more downhill in those little rolling inclines than I am used to.

I registered for the Portland, OR marathon in the fall. Not sure what my goal will be for that. I plan to play with doing some speed work other than pace runs for the first time in training for that one.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Bayshore Marathon Big PR Empty Re: Bayshore Marathon Big PR

Post  ounce Mon May 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Way to go, Carleen! 18 minute PR is really great. Glad everything came together for you. So, adding some miles for the sorta long runs seemed to be a big thing, second to being injury free?

You were the model of consistency with 18 of the 26 miles in a 10:something-teen pace (meaning 10:13-10:19 laps). Pretty remarkable. cheers
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon May 28, 2012 11:27 pm

That's fantastic, Carleen! To be able to feel solid all the way up to Mile 25, and then be able to push through that last mile and score a great PR, is a testament to your training approach. As you get ready for Portland, I don't know that you'd want to change anything. Just the continuing fitness improvements and lack of injury could mean even better times this fall.

Congratulations!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue May 29, 2012 7:29 am

Awesome job Carleen. That's a monster PR. I don't know how I didn't see you on the bus. Congrats again.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue May 29, 2012 7:44 am

Congrats on the huge PR! Nice job keeping at that pace the whole way. Hope you don't have any more cuts!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue May 29, 2012 7:57 am

Wow Carleen! Way to go! That's exactly how I want to feel in my next marathon! You nailed it!

Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue May 29, 2012 11:18 am

Thanks everyone!

ounce wrote:Way to go, Carleen! 18 minute PR is really great. Glad everything came together for you. So, adding some miles for the sorta long runs seemed to be a big thing, second to being injury free?

I think those were the two biggest factors. I did more sort of long runs than before, with half of those being pace runs and the other just extra miles at a slow pace. Then, the lack of injury meant that I could run very consistently which before I would usually miss some time due to injury. The 10-12 day "week" allowed for a lot of that, but I think I could get the same all in a regular week now because the extra training seems to have helped me also recover faster from long runs. I also think the test 13.1 pace run between my two 20s was huge for me. That I felt good during it when it was sandwiched between 2 20's, told me that I was being reasonable with my goal and gave me confidence.

Mark B wrote:That's fantastic, Carleen! To be able to feel solid all the way up to Mile 25, and then be able to push through that last mile and score a great PR, is a testament to your training approach. As you get ready for Portland, I don't know that you'd want to change anything. Just the continuing fitness improvements and lack of injury could mean even better times this fall.

I think that is the plan except I might mix in some other speed work other than all pace runs. But not too much since it will be fairly new for me. I also probably can't fit my 10 day "week" in as well as I did before, but I plan to keep up the extra sort of long runs (done at a slow pace) even in a standard week. I think I get a lot from those and they don't tend to tax me all that much so it is easy enough for me to do that. I am going to play around with training schedules later this week.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue May 29, 2012 11:25 am

Nice solid pacing and overall race. Congrats on the PR, hope the North Peak brew was as tasty as it was for me.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Tue May 29, 2012 12:18 pm

great job! you certainely trained well and were prepared.Recover and good luck on the next one
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue May 29, 2012 12:26 pm

That's perfect pacing. Congratulations on the big PR!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue May 29, 2012 1:20 pm

First off, Congratulations - well done and well executed. Those splits are tremendous, and it looks like you really had things dialed in. I'll be honest that I'm betting that being injury free had a lot to do with how well you ran and executed this race. I know with myself, if I can make it to race day with only little niggles here and there, my confidence is tremendous.

Careful adding in some speed and do it slowly as to make sure this injury free trend is maintained. It sounds like you've learned to really listen to your body, so I know this fall, you will be ready for another PR.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue May 29, 2012 2:16 pm

Great job! Smart pacing and I'm glad everything came together for a great PR!

Quads are supposed to be sore after a marathon, aren't they? Mine always are...congrats and enjoy the next few days of recovery.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Tue May 29, 2012 2:40 pm

It looks as if you really earned this with intelligent training and good pacing (both lessons for me). An 18-minute improvement and beating 4:30 (easily) must be very satisfying.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Wow! Those splits are pretty dam steady! What a great job you did and a huge huge PR. Congratulations.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue May 29, 2012 3:52 pm

WOO-HOO!!!! Congrats on a massive PR!
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/