365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garmin 'moving time'

+5
Mike MacLellan
Schuey
Nick Morris
Admin
Tim C
9 posters

Go down

Garmin 'moving time' Empty Garmin 'moving time'

Post  Tim C Tue May 15, 2012 11:39 am

Anyone understand garmins' 'moving' time vs actual time? Mine is always off, even when I ran a 1/2 marathon a couple of weeks ago and never even slowed down for water. No stopping at all and moving time was about 50 seconds less than actual time. What gives???
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Posts : 588
Points : 5690
Join date : 2011-07-06
Age : 66
Location : Orange County, CA

Back to top Go down

Garmin 'moving time' Empty Re: Garmin 'moving time'

Post  Admin Tue May 15, 2012 11:40 am

Could be lost signal hiccups.

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 5733
Join date : 2011-06-14

Back to top Go down

Garmin 'moving time' Empty Re: Garmin 'moving time'

Post  Nick Morris Tue May 15, 2012 11:47 am

Mr MattM wrote:Could be lost signal hiccups.

Very true, plus my 305 is normally off by about 12ft. That may play into it as well...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 13830
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 42
Location : Madison, WI

Back to top Go down

Garmin 'moving time' Empty Re: Garmin 'moving time'

Post  Schuey Tue May 15, 2012 12:19 pm

Good question Tim C, I was just wondering the something just yesterday.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2172
Points : 7364
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 51
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

Back to top Go down

Garmin 'moving time' Empty Re: Garmin 'moving time'

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue May 15, 2012 12:30 pm

That's a metric on their computer software, right? Not on the actual device? I have the same weirdness with WKO+. Between Garmin Training Center's moving time, the device's time, and the 2 times WKO+ spits out, I just go by the device time and ignore the rest.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3191
Points : 9638
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 35
Location : Arlington, VA

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Garmin 'moving time' Empty Re: Garmin 'moving time'

Post  Martin VW Tue May 15, 2012 12:45 pm

Maybe a related question is, should we be using moving time for something? It must serve some purpose if Garmin's engineers track it.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Posts : 299
Points : 4590
Join date : 2011-06-16

Back to top Go down

Garmin 'moving time' Empty Re: Garmin 'moving time'

Post  Schuey Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 pm

Martin VW wrote:Maybe a related question is, should we be using moving time for something? It must serve some purpose if Garmin's engineers track it.

Well I think the actually purpose they put it in is if you stop your watch or have it on auto pause. Which I can get with that, you can see what your moving time was vs. stoping or auto pause going on.

The problem that I have came into which I also think Tim C might be experiencing also is that even with auto pause off and with every hitting the stop button during a run the moving time is always different then time. That to me is were I shake my head and don't understand what the feature is for or why the moving time is different.

Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2172
Points : 7364
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 51
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

Back to top Go down

Garmin 'moving time' Empty Re: Garmin 'moving time'

Post  Martin VW Tue May 15, 2012 1:50 pm

Schuey wrote: The problem that I have came into which I also think Tim C might be experiencing also is that even with auto pause off and with every hitting the stop button during a run the moving time is always different then time. That to me is were I shake my head and don't understand what the feature is for or why the moving time is different.


Yup, I'm with you. But, unless we believe it serves a purpose in our training, is it just an idle curiosity thing? Smile

Maybe it's for triathletes? Dunno.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Posts : 299
Points : 4590
Join date : 2011-06-16

Back to top Go down

Garmin 'moving time' Empty Re: Garmin 'moving time'

Post  Schuey Tue May 15, 2012 2:23 pm

Martin VW wrote:
Schuey wrote: The problem that I have came into which I also think Tim C might be experiencing also is that even with auto pause off and with every hitting the stop button during a run the moving time is always different then time. That to me is were I shake my head and don't understand what the feature is for or why the moving time is different.


Yup, I'm with you. But, unless we believe it serves a purpose in our training, is it just an idle curiosity thing? Smile

Maybe it's for triathletes? Dunno.

I agree with you there I have no clue of it's purpose for training other then being able to distinguish between total time out on a workout and how much of that time was spend training. I think you hit on the head for me it's just an idle curiosity thing, I just see that darn thing in Garmin connect and have tried to figure out why the time is different.

Maybe it was another added feature for Garmin to justify the price. Haha Basketball Basketball Basketball lol!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2172
Points : 7364
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 51
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

Back to top Go down

Garmin 'moving time' Empty Re: Garmin 'moving time'

Post  Jerry Tue May 15, 2012 2:33 pm

Schuey wrote:
Martin VW wrote:
Schuey wrote: The problem that I have came into which I also think Tim C might be experiencing also is that even with auto pause off and with every hitting the stop button during a run the moving time is always different then time. That to me is were I shake my head and don't understand what the feature is for or why the moving time is different.


Yup, I'm with you. But, unless we believe it serves a purpose in our training, is it just an idle curiosity thing? Smile

Maybe it's for triathletes? Dunno.

I agree with you there I have no clue of it's purpose for training other then being able to distinguish between total time out on a workout and how much of that time was spend training. I think you hit on the head for me it's just an idle curiosity thing, I just see that darn thing in Garmin connect and have tried to figure out why the time is different.

Maybe it was another added feature for Garmin to justify the price. Haha Basketball Basketball Basketball lol!

Some non-runner MBA designed the feature. Approval
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2712
Points : 1006095
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Where I'm Loved

Back to top Go down

Garmin 'moving time' Empty Re: Garmin 'moving time'

Post  Tim C Tue May 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Yup, wierd. It's always about a minute less than total time, whether there are any stops at all or not. I have noticed that the time on the device matches the total time on Garmin connect, not the moving time, so I'll just ignore moving time. <shrug>
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Posts : 588
Points : 5690
Join date : 2011-07-06
Age : 66
Location : Orange County, CA

Back to top Go down

Garmin 'moving time' Empty Re: Garmin 'moving time'

Post  carleenp Tue May 15, 2012 7:07 pm

This is what Garmin says about it:


Moving Time

Garmin Connect calculates Moving Time by removing the amount of time when the user is stopped. This is helpful for customers who upload activities with a Garmin device that either don't have AutoPause or have AutoPause turned off. For those who have AutoPause turned on or hit the Stop and Start button in the middle of an activity, the Moving Time should be very close or equal to Time.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Posts : 530
Points : 5177
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 55
Location : Shorewood, IL

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Garmin 'moving time' Empty Re: Garmin 'moving time'

Post  Tom H Tue May 15, 2012 9:15 pm

I've wondered about this one for quite a while as most splits differ between moving time and time even though there is no break taken. Hmmm, I wonder, if you are swinging your watch arm back at the same speed you are moving forward and this coincides with the time that the Garmin is capturing data, does it think you are standing still scratch ?
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Posts : 564
Points : 5139
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 64
Location : Fremont, SF Bay Area

Back to top Go down

Garmin 'moving time' Empty Re: Garmin 'moving time'

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum