365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boston Hotels?!

+3
mountandog
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
7 posters

Go down

Boston Hotels?! Empty Boston Hotels?!

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:22 pm

Yikes, I know, I'm way behind. But, there's a catch! I'll likely have a car at my disposal. Which means, theoretically, I don't have to be "in it all." Nor do I need to. I just want to make sure I get to the starting line early enough to have my usual pre-marathon routine of standing in line for the porta-potty for an hour while pretending to stretch.

So, any hotel recommendations? And is it possible to get driven and dropped off at the starting line (not parking, just dropping off)? Don't want to break the bank, but it's not my bank, so a little splurging is okay.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Boston Hotels?! Empty Re: Boston Hotels?!

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Ok, if you stay downtown, you do not need a car at all since you can get to any downtown hotel (Back Bay, Fanueil Hall/Gov't Center, Downtown Crossing) by taking the subway (the "T" as it is called). You then take a bus to Hopkinton from the common - easy! The Buckminster is one of the lesser expensive hotels and is right on the course in Kenmore Square, but it may be full already. I'd check there website and also Marathon Tours as they often have hotel rooms available. Any thing in Back Bay or Downtown would be the closest and also the priciest. Most want a minimum of 2-3 nights. I'd be careful about staying in Revere or near the Airport or in Braintree - not because they are unsafe, but a pain to navigate to/from if you do not know the area. Even Cambridge can be a hassle if you are not familiar with the city.

Now, if you stay in the outskirts of town - Brookline, Newton, Natick, Framingham, etc. - then you will need a car to get to/from your hotel and to the start/finish. You can easily get dropped off (or have someone park) at the Hopkinton State Park and then take the shuttle from there to the start area. Spectators can take that shuttle as well so they can see the start, and then take the shuttle back to the car and drive into the city. Since I grew up in Natick (miles 9-12), I have often stayed at my parents house and had my Mom take me to Hopkinton in this manner (I now go to a friend's who lives in Hopkinton the night before). Of course, my Mom knows all the crazy NE backroads. I believe; however, that GregC stayed in Framingham one year and had someone drop him off at the start.

For a first timer, I would so recommend staying in the city since it is not only a great city, but everything is easily accessible by T or on foot and the atmosphere is electric. Of course, I'm sure my Mom would love visitors Wink
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:11 pm

hardest part is the Hopkinton to Boston stretch. I recommend a car but they'll probably require you to use your legs.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Yikes, I know, I'm way behind. But, there's a catch! I'll likely have a car at my disposal. Which means, theoretically, I don't have to be "in it all." Nor do I need to. I just want to make sure I get to the starting line early enough to have my usual pre-marathon routine of standing in line for the porta-potty for an hour while pretending to stretch.

So, any hotel recommendations? And is it possible to get driven and dropped off at the starting line (not parking, just dropping off)? Don't want to break the bank, but it's not my bank, so a little splurging is okay.
Get online and check it out. The prices get jacked through the roof on the days preceeding the race and day of. I stayed in braintree last year and took the train in then caught the shuttle out. I was by my lonesome so the price was right, but it was a lot of traveling. Thought I would walk to the train station but it tuned out to be about 3-4 miles, whew. On race day took a cab to the train(10 minute ride) for about $10.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:23 pm

Could a few of our Boston Marathon runners start a thread called "Boston for Dummies" to lay out what to do for folks going up there for the first time as far as getting to the start line, staying where, etc, please?

I'd like to earn a BQ, sometime and with a Boston thread, I'd know what to do. Much obliged.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote: I believe; however, that GregC stayed in Framingham one year and had someone drop him off at the start.

Indeed! Last time I went to Boston,we stayed at the Sheraton in Framingham. It was an easy drive to the starting line (about 20 minutes I think) and the hotel even had a shuttle bus that went to the starting line, but I got in late the night before the race so I missed signing up for it. The hotel itself was nice and was about $100 a night (the rooms were huge). So I stayed there pre-race and then Monday night we stayed downtown Boston which was nice because it's fun to be in the center of everything after the race. The hotel availability is a little easier on Monday night as opposed to the weekend leading up to the race. I got a really good deal by just checking hotwire every once in a while.

The Buckminster hotel is also a reasonably priced hotel that is about a mile from the finish line. That's where I'm staying this year for the entire time...but I have an entourage this year.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:07 pm

If I were you, young and single, I would sleep in the car outside Wesley with my bib hung on the window. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:06 pm

actually we book the Park Plaza hotel downtown thru Golden Adventures travel. Not the cheapest ($250 a night or so) but I split with a buddy. Walk to convention center, they provide private bus to Hopkinton with toilets ON BOARD for $25 -- no brainer there. You can even prearrange a dinner at Maggiano's and a massage for after. And when the race is over and you've made it thru the corral, you are only 100 meters from your hotel and a shower. Awesome!! You have the downtown buzz, near good restaurants, etc.

Tell Diane Golden I sent you!!
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:00 pm

I checked and the Buckminster still has rooms available. Again, not the swankiest of downtown hotels, but worth the modest price and a great location. (And G$ will be there).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Jerry wrote:If I were you, young and single, I would sleep in the car outside Wesley with my bib hung on the window. lol!
Wellesley Jerry, Wellesley. I think Wesley may be a community college or a transient hotel, not sure which one. Probably on bad side of town so not a good idea. lol
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:56 am

fostever wrote:
Jerry wrote:If I were you, young and single, I would sleep in the car outside Wesley with my bib hung on the window. lol!
Wellesley Jerry, Wellesley. I think Wesley may be a community college or a transient hotel, not sure which one. Probably on bad side of town so not a good idea. lol

That's a shame. Jerry may have to run Boston again. scratch
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:27 pm

JERRY - you had better get the spelling of Wellesley right or I'll have to make you run faster the next time we meet up - this from a Wellesley Woman.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:JERRY - you had better get the spelling of Wellesley right or I'll have to make you run faster the next time we meet up - this from a Wellesley Woman.

Oops, I will have to work on the pronunciation too. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down