365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to the Future

+21
Gobbles
Michael Enright
fostever
mul21
Liz R
KathyK
Alex Kubacki
Chris M
Dave-O
Schuey
ounce
Seth Harrison
Mark B
John Kilpatrick
Julie
Mike MacLellan
Peg Coover
JohnP
Kenny B.
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
25 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Back to the Future - Page 4 Empty Re: Back to the Future

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:47 pm

Nice 20 Michele! Enjoy your cutback week. Smile
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:48 pm

So Michele, are you still around? (Atlanta?)

Are you coaching an ATC 10K training group?

I'm going to be coaching an ATC in training group in PTC.

See you in Boston?

Steven
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Gobbles wrote:So Michele, are you still around? (Atlanta?)

Are you coaching an ATC 10K training group?

I'm going to be coaching an ATC in training group in PTC.

See you in Boston?

Steven

Still around until the first week of June. I am coaching a Peachtree group in Alpharetta - sharing the duties with another ATC guy I train with a lot since he is travelling most weekends in May, but will be here in June. Works out for the two of us. You running this weekend at Publix? Might see you then, but most definitely in Boston.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Nothing major to report except that it is already hot here. Made myself do a Hal style tempo run in the heat yesterday afternoon - the radio said it was 81F, but my car said it was 89F. It didn't feel as bad as 89F, so I'll split the difference and take 85F. It is supposed to be warm for the next few days which will make Sunday's half Marathon a definite MP effort at best. I'm guessing it will be in the high 70s by the finish, and I feel bad for those marathoners. The weather was the same the first year of the race (2007) and it was a miserable death march for me in the last couple of miles. I was really well trained and all signs pointed to a 3:25-3:28 race, but with the heat, I started and finished with the 3:50 pacers. I swear it took me months to recover. Guess if I keep training 1-2X per week in the late afternoon heat, it could help me for Beantown.

I'm finally going to get some PT for my "dead butt" syndrome. It's been flaring up a bit as of late. Maybe I can learn the right exercises and stretches to just MAKE.IT.GO.AWAY.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:50 pm

I hear you on the heat - I don't mind running in it by late summer, but
I'm not ready for it yet. By the time I get the green light to run
again, I'm sure it will be full-fledged nastiness. For having no such intentions, that was a really good 20 miler. What is the PT that you are referring to out of curiousity? Good luck with it and hope the next (5?) weeks fly by!

And, I think your nuts Wink

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:46 am

Thanks for the chuckle, John. As for the "PT", I've had this nagging/chronic glute/hammie thing for years, and last year some PTs gave a seminar regarding what they called "Dead Butt syndrome" which described exactly what my issue is. I do some of the exercises they should in the seminar, and they do help, but I can never get it to quite go away. So I made an appointment to see them and get some more in depth stretches/exercises/whatever to just get it to go away.

Decided with my coach to train through the Publix Georgia Half on Sunday primarily due to the weather and Boston. So I did a 15 miler this morning with the first 12 averaging around 8:55 and the last three miles in 8:33, 8:26, and 8:10 respectively. Felt good, but now I'm starving, so it looks like an early lunch.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:53 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Thanks for the chuckle, John. As for the "PT", I've had this nagging/chronic glute/hammie thing for years, and last year some PTs gave a seminar regarding what they called "Dead Butt syndrome" which described exactly what my issue is. I do some of the exercises they should in the seminar, and they do help, but I can never get it to quite go away. So I made an appointment to see them and get some more in depth stretches/exercises/whatever to just get it to go away.

Decided with my coach to train through the Publix Georgia Half on Sunday primarily due to the weather and Boston. So I did a 15 miler this morning with the first 12 averaging around 8:55 and the last three miles in 8:33, 8:26, and 8:10 respectively. Felt good, but now I'm starving, so it looks like an early lunch.

I hear you about the butt/hammie think, yours sounds worst than mind but it's weird how it comes and goes. I mind I don't do a whole lot different with the stretches/foam roller but I'll go through periods were I don't feel it at all and than out of no were there it is. Funny thing is that it doesn't really bother/hurt while running but I do know that it most likely is messing up my stride and tires my muscles. Oh well what can one do? Let me know how that appointment goes and if it helps?

Great job on your run this morning. Last few days have a been good but such a struggle running in such warm temps and humidity for this time of the year. Body is not use to it!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:21 pm

The RD of the Publix Half tomorrow has sent out 4 emails regarding the weather and high temperatures for tomorrow - absolutely amazing, but as it looks right now, he is right to be a little concerned especially for the slower half and marathon runners. It is supposed to be 56F with 90% humidity at the start tomorrow and 66F with 88% humidity by 9 am. Good call between my coach and I to call it a training run. I already feel for the marathoners at it is predicted to be over 70F by 10 am with dropping humidity - dropping to 70% that is. I'm betting on a warm Boston this year - need to schedule more runs in the afternoon over the next few weeks.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:10 pm

I think I am going to make a similar decision as you did. A hilly half marathon tomorrow but it will be 61 - 70 degrees during the race and I thnk I may turn it into an MP run. We don't have the humidity you do but the blazing sun and lack of acclimation would take a lot out in a HMP run. While I want it to be cool weather, I know Boston is a go no matter what so the weather there is not stressing me at all. However, it would mean a one shot to qualify for 2013 in the fall.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Ok, I know my coach is trying to kill me, but despite the heat and humidity (it seemed to actually let up around half way), I managed to run a very evenly paced half marathon today and I surprised myself with this result:

Michele Keane #5138
Sandy Springs, GA

Distance HALF MAR
Clock Time 1:44:27
Chip Time 1:44:04
Overall Place 641 / 9040
Gender Place 130 / 5045
Division Place 1 / 274
8Mile 1:03:12
Divtotal 282
Sextotal 5135
Pace 7:57

I must say that I am absolutely shocked as I never expected in a billion years to place that high or to actually win my AG in such a big race. Last year the winner of the 50-54 group ran 1:32 (but I know her to be hurt), and well this year, this year was just mine. It makes my really dead legs (and they truly are!) feel about as good as I can expect. Maybe all these ups and downs this past few weeks are beginning to pay off.

Here are my splits from my Garmin. You can see where I used the elevation to my advantage.

Split Time Distance
1 08:07.4 1
2 07:44.8 1
3 07:54.5 1
4 08:11.3 1
5 07:43.5 1
6 07:56.3 1
7 07:57.5 1
8 07:45.7 1
9 07:40.0 1
10 08:18.5 1
11 07:51.3 1
12 08:16.0 1
13 07:58.3 1
14 :43.2 0.12
Summary 44:08.1 13.12

Hopefully Michael (mountaindog) and Stephen (gobbles) can attest to the fact that it was indeed quite warm already at the start with temps in the low-mid 60s and humidity around 85%. As the temps rose and the sun came out, the humidity actually dropped and it was quite apparent to me. I'm very pleased with the race even though I was 4 min slower than last year because I ran about as evenly as I could and on pretty (really) dead legs. I didn't even die on the last long hill (mile 11.4 to 12).

Now off to play tennis (seriously - if I don't play my team will forfeit. Do you think I might be dead later on today???)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:25 pm

Frickin' awesome. Congrats!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:34 pm

Great job, Michele!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:22 pm

1st in your age group, top 3% of women, and you were not even trying. Sheesh. awesome job. You and your coach should re-evaluate your Boston goal. it's way too easy for you.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:59 am

JohnP wrote:1st in your age group, top 3% of women, and you were not even trying. Sheesh. awesome job. You and your coach should re-evaluate your Boston goal. it's way too easy for you.

Easy - not on your life! I felt every step of the race. Thanks John and good job on your race yesterday.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:11 am

It's still awfully good, though. At least, you won't have to worry about a warm Boston race, since you're already acclimated.

How was the effort on the tennis game?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:41 am

ounce wrote:It's still awfully good, though. At least, you won't have to worry about a warm Boston race, since you're already acclimated.

How was the effort on the tennis game?

We lost, but my partner was a 67 yr old woman (whom I love and is generally a very good player), we played 30 yr olds, and it was awfully hot (85F). She wilted in the heat and I was tired, but we hung in there until she had to retire (just too hot and I wasn't going to push her!).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:28 pm

You are a warrior! First a fabulous half marathon age group win, then tennis! Against 30 year olds, yet. Amazing!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Congrats again on the win. That's phenominal.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:14 am

I thought about you yesterday Michele...
On my way home from work, I put in a CD that my daughter compiled and gave to me the day I moved her to college.
On the day I moved her to school, we drove separate vehicles so she could have her car on campus, but she wanted us to feel connected during the 3.5 hour trip. So she compiled 3 CDs of music from our past: music I'd introduced her to, songs we sang as duets using wooden spoons or curling irons as microphones, songs from her teeny bopper years, sound tracks from movies we'd seen together, sound tracks from Broadway shows we'd seen together, music from the indy bands she introduce to me, etc. She made a set for me, and anther for her. She gave them to me after we gassed up both vehicles. We pushed 'play' at the same time, and listened to the same songs the entire journey. I did a good deal of crying as I listened and sang along to the songs from our past, and cherished the memories associated with the music.

Anyway, I put in the first of those CDs yesterday and remembered that day with a smile. Emily is now 26, so it's been a while. I know your daughter will be going off to school in the fall, and you are about to face all the feelings I did that day. It's quite a journey!

Enough of my sentimental ramblings....how's the recovery from your AG winning half marathon going?
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:34 am

Kathy - your post brought tears to my eyes, but what a fantastic idea! My daughter is a music guru, so I'm going to have her put together a play list or CDs of our favorites - similar to what your daughter did. I can already hear the Aaron Carter and that "1985" song along with AC/DC, Queen, Meet Virginia (Train) and some bits from the Phantom and Avenue Q. With my husband having been in California most of these last 4 yrs, it will be tough for me when she is gone. I realize that we (she and I) have become a lot closer especially since she really is an "adult" and we can have "adult" conversations, but she is still my little girl. She is so very ready for college, but I'm not sure I'm ready yet.

Recovery has been tough as the legs have been pretty tired all week, but that was the idea. Ran my last long run this morning - 21 miles - in the rain (just misty showers) and the milder temps (65F). It started to really rain around 19. 5 miles which made the last couple of miles a pretty wet slog. Legs are tired, but I'm glad that I got it in as I have to build a Habitat house tomorrow.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Yeah, I thought you might enjoy that, Michele. I remembered that your hubby has been away for a long time. I was a single mom during Emily's middle school and high school years, so our situations were sort of similar in that there was not a SO in daily life and activities.

I was also thinking about how seeing one's child go off to school is sort of like toeing the start line in a marathon. You don't know exactly what's going to happen, but you have to trust the training. Or in the case of seeing your child leave to go to college, you have to trust the parenting!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:37 am

Nice job on the 21M.

Do you know the Worcester, MA area at all? Just noticed they've introduced a full marathon in June to go with a Half they usually have. Should be interesting. Worcester is pretty hilly.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:27 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Nice job on the 21M.

Do you know the Worcester, MA area at all? Just noticed they've introduced a full marathon in June to go with a Half they usually have. Should be interesting. Worcester is pretty hilly.

Not that well, Alex, but I did run a few races in the area when I lived there. There was a 5 miler held in January sponsored by some Wallpaper store back in the day, and it was pretty flat. For the most part, though, I'm guessing you're right about the hills. Unless you run on I290, you have to go up and down. Last spring, we went to WPI and Holy Cross for college visits and I ran around downtown - hilly.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:41 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Kathy - your post brought tears to my eyes

Yeah, me too. That is really cool. Good job on the running Michele (consistently good as usual) and you are a cool person for doing the Habitat for Humanity thing. Hats off!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:35 pm

A bit silent in the blog department this past week or so. Last tougher week before taper which really began yesterday with an easy 5 miler and continued today with another. Ran my "long" run of the week on Wednesday morning beginning at 4:30 am. Ran what seemed like a billion, but was really only "8" 2 mile loops in my hilly neighborhood for a total of 16 miles. Started early as I had to be somewhere by 8 am, and you never know what the day might bring after that. Needless to say I was pretty slow the first hour averaging around 9:15-9:20 miles, but I then managed to pick it up and the average over the last hour was 8:50 - so all in all a decent run. It was also only around 60F, so pretty cool with low humidity and the pollen doesn't seem to bother me much in the morning.

Headed to DC tomorrow for the Cherry Blossom 10 miler on Sunday morning. Looks like the weather could be as cool as 49F at the start - better bring my hat and mittens. Rolling Eyes I'm looking forward to it, and I hope not to put too much pressure on myself as part of the ATC Mixed Masters team. We have two stud runners (those that mad the Running Times Masters of the Year article) and then little old me. I know I'm capable of 1:18 or better, but I sure would like to be int he 1:15-1:16 range. The course is flat by my standards which might actually make that harder than you think.

Then it is pretty much on to the real taper!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next