365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to the Future

+21
Gobbles
Michael Enright
fostever
mul21
Liz R
KathyK
Alex Kubacki
Chris M
Dave-O
Schuey
ounce
Seth Harrison
Mark B
John Kilpatrick
Julie
Mike MacLellan
Peg Coover
JohnP
Kenny B.
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
25 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Back to the Future - Page 5 Empty Re: Back to the Future

Post  Gobbles Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:09 pm

Michele:
Good Luck in DC!

Speaking of studs, Did you see this on Jeanne Daprano? (She is on the ATC Masters Track team, and a very active member of the PTCRC)
http://usatf.org/News/Daprano-named-USATF-Athlete-of-the-Week.aspx
3 AG WRs & 1 AG USR in one weekend; not bad for 75, eh?
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks for the link, Stephen. I had not seen that, but I do know her and honestly, our masters track runners are quite the studly bunch!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Ok, last 2 wks before Boston and everything is just about right on track since I ran an easy 5 miler this morning with tired legs and was surprised at the "pace". I'm only beginning to freak just a little bit, so I'm glad that I'm headed to Cleveland for the Easter break to sign off on all the work we had done, receive new furniture, and meet the moving truck with my husband's stuff from CA. I also hope to get in a solid 12-13 miler with my old running group in the Metropark on Saturday morning, but that will be dependent on the moving truck and when it arrives.

Cherry Blossom went well on Sunday. I was very pleased with my overall time: 1:13:18 or a 7:20 pace for 10 miles, but I was not happy with my execution. I ran with an ATC teammate for the first 4.5 miles and we got sucked out very fast (7:04) and I paid for it with the last couple of miles that were 7:29 and 7:25 respectively. I didn't have much left for the last half mile which was a small, but longish uphill. Guess I'll just have to run it again next year. It was nice to catch up with Kevin and meet Vivian (finally) for the first time. I had not been in DC since my daughter was 12, so that was fun too, even if I didn't really do anything touristy at all.

Repost of last week:

Mon - 11 miles total done as 4 x 2 mile repeats @ 7:45 pace with 800 m in between
Tues - 6 recovery miles with striders
Wed - 16 miles easy (9:04 ave pace) Did this starting at 4:15 am and felt a little like Ounce. First hour the body was still sleeping, but then I woke up and the last hour was at 8:45 pace.
Thurs - 5 easy miles + striders followed by a tennis match
Fri - 5 easy miles
Sat - Travel day and no time for a run (usually do a shake out, but no time as I had to get up to set up for habitat Day 2 and catch a plane to DC. Nice dinner with Kevin and Vivian.
Sun - Cherry Blossom 10 Miler in 1:13:18 (7:20 pace). Pleased with the time, not the execution. Warm up of 1.5 miles, jogged back to hotel. Teammate has a little issue after the race, so I was glad I was still there. Kevin, Jody (training friend from Atlanta) and I had a fun lunch, then Jody and I spent hours at Reagan Nat'l waiting to get back to the ATL. Guess that is what the SkyLounge is for

WTD: 54 miles YTD: 598
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:44 pm

I am so envious of your pace! Way to go Michele!!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:04 pm

Peg Coover wrote:I am so envious of your pace! Way to go Michele!!
Me too! But in addition to being envious, I'm inspired!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:36 pm

You've been very quiet during your taper, Michele...hope all is well!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:26 pm

Michele is too experienced to get taper madness. She just goes into zen mode and disappears for 3 weeks Smile
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Hey Michele, where are you?

Are you going to the ATC Coaches Meeting on Thursday?

I know you're out early on Monday night, but wanted to say hi in Boston.

We (Peachtree City Running Club People, many of us are also ATC members) are meeting for dinner on Saturday, if nothing comes together with the clan here.

Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:31 am

She's in Taper Sadness. Cutting back until Monday makes for a sad girl.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:09 pm

Ok, I'm here just very busy with trying to get work done in between Easter Break trip to Cleveland and Boston trip. Stephen - to answer your question, I will not be at the coaches meeting on Thursday night as we (my daughter, her friend, and I) will be leaving for Boston then. My daughter and her friend (and me) will be going to "Accepted" student's day at Boston Univ. (BU) on Friday which was/is fortuitous since I had to be in the city anyway. Lots of logistics with family, etc. that I'm trying to deal with regarding the weekend (and why I normally do not run races/marathons in New England). Everyone wants a piece of me, and I just want to shut down in a hotel and veg out before the race. Makes for a stressful weekend that shouldn't be stressful. The least stressful part of my weekend might be the first 20 miles on Monday Rolling Eyes

I decided to stay until Tuesday morning so I could spend some time with Judy and others after the race. My daughter and her friend leave on Sunday and will stay at her house on Sunday night; therefore, she will only be home one night alone (Monday). I know that she is 18.5 yrs old, but she still lives under my roof, and I don't like to leave her alone for too much time.

On the running front, yes, I am still running although I'm not going to get in the prescribed "4" today. Just too much work and I have a doctor's appointment for some women's issues that I keep putting off. It is a real beotch getting old. The good news is that I was complimented by two people today who said I did not look nearly old enough to have a senior in high school, and I knew neither of them.

So I hope to stop by the food court after the hockey play-off game on Saturday afternoon if that is still the plan (guess I need to check that). I guess I'll also have to check into after race plans. I know Judy and I are set to meet a friend at Cheers (tradition as we did it in 2007 and 2009), but that is all I have time to think about right now.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:41 am

Glad to see all is well (although very busy!)

Yes, it IS a be-otch getting old. Nearly every day now I discover new and different ways that my body is reminding me it's turning into an older woman with all of the hormone issues and old lady skin and hot flashes and weight-gain-for-no-damn -good-reason that go along with it. Really attractive....NOT Ugh.

I'll be in the Atlanta area (Peachtree City) from April 30 through May 6, I may need to give my sister and her family some alone time, so if you are still around by then, I may take you up on your offer to get together.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:50 am

Have a good time Monday Michele.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:08 pm

Hope you had a good flight and have a peachy (or should that be 'a beany') race!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:45 pm

Have a good time in Boston, I hope the race goes well and you stay cool enough.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:28 pm

So right now the weahter forecast for Boston is about as bad as it could get (well I suppose it could be over 90F rather than simply 87F!). At this point, I have a qualifying time for next year that is -14 from the time I need, so I'm covered. With a 2013 BQ time of 4 hrs for a F50-54, I should be able to register on Day 3 which should guarantee me a spot.

Talked to my coach this morning and we set up three battle plans for Monday based on the weather forecast. First and foremost, I drop out at 12.5 miles and run to my parents house - get in a solid longish run and be happy for it. 2nd Option, run to the Woodland T Station (15-16 miles), get in a solid long run and walk off happy. 3rd option, run very slowly with my friend Judy who has had a tough couple of months with the death of her mom and some injuries - might take us 5+ hrs, but who cares. The last marathon that I "raced" in 85F heat was the initial ING Georgia Marathon in 2007. Of course, there was no Gatorade and they ran out of water, but it was still freakin hot. It took me several months to recover. It was in the low 80s at Boston in 2004 where it took me 4 hrs and 15 min, same for Madison in 2006 where I walked/ran the last 10K with a friend who was having some issues and I didn't want to leave him. I guess you never know as that is what New England weather is like. An although I've run in a bit of warm weather already, 65F and partly sunny is not 87F and sunny, hilly, and dry as predicted.

Like I said, I'm lucky in that I can bail and not worry about running another BQ. Of course, I'm a bit bummed already as I have been training pretty hard this Spring and it is tough to do that in vain. Unfortunately, with prom, graduation, moving, etc. in the next two months, running another race to "use" that training isn't possible. If Monday becomes a nice long run, then it really isn't lost completely if I take it easy over the next month as I'll have a good base to go into NYC training with this summer.

If anyone does read this, salt tablets should be fine for anyone to take, and yes, sleeves and a hat are usually cooler than no shirt. I guess I'll just pretend I'm in Death Valley again as I once ran 10 miles there in 113F weather. It was a 10 min pace, but hey, it was still 113F!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:08 pm

Really a great post, Michele, it's good you have various options. It will be tough for you to do a 5, but it might really help her, that's a tough call. I also ran that Georgia marathon, and packed some salt tabs (SUCCEED) this time. It's been so cool here (in the 30s, 40s) in the morning, there is no heat acclimation. I feel, and relate, to your thoughts of all this hard training for this but we've been there, done that. For me, I've got to finish this race so I can wear the jacket. I should see you at some point during the weekend.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:38 am

My ulimate goal is simply to finish - upright and smiling!

I can tell you all that my 6-hr marathon friend was the happiest of all of us after the Georgia Marathon back in 2007. She knew her limitations, knew that she is a 6-hr marathoner, and never strayed from that mindset or position. She even called us twice to let us know that she was more than fine. We need to use her wisdom here.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:48 pm

gratz on your upright finish, Michele!

Back to the Future - Page 5 1078438882
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:54 pm

Nice work out there in tough conditions, Michele! Congrats.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:11 pm

Way to go Michele! Looking forward to hearing about your day!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:01 pm

I must admit that it was a tough day but it was also easier than I expected it to be. I guess there is a lot to be said for trusting ones training and having a plan. I was too fast in the first 5K which made me mad but I slowed and regrouped early. It really helped to walk through all the water stops until mile 24. I know the breaks were slower over the hills but I just kept it steady and believed. When I made it to mile 24 I knew I was okay. At that point I tried to get under 4 but just missed.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:16 pm

Good job, Michele! Enjoy the recovery and celebration!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:25 pm

Great job Michele! Can't wait to read more about your day.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Nice race, Michele! Seriously, I checked out everyone's times while in the car back to the hotel and you ran a DAMN good race. Great job.

My mom thanks you profusely for the tip about parking downtown!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:31 pm

You are quite welcome, Mike!

Some interesting statistics regarding yesterday:

My Placements in 2012's race with a time of 4:00:11:

Overall: 8678 Last year's 8678th finisher ran a time of 3:33:36

Women: 2465 Last years's 2465th women ran a time of 3:38:14

AG: 77 Last year's 77th women in the 50-54 AG ran a time of 3:42:49 (this year the same woman
ran 5:28:28)

My Placements in 2009's race with a time of 3:59:21:

Overall: 15,526

Women: 5374

AG: 675

Just kind of sums it all up! Working on a real report.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next