365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ITB again, any thoughts?

+4
ounce
Nick Morris
charles.moman
Jeff F
8 posters

Go down

ITB again, any thoughts? Empty ITB again, any thoughts?

Post  Jeff F Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:25 pm

When I first started running in early 2006 I experienced ITB issues and over a year of stretching and improving core strength it went away. Now it is recurring and I am frustrated. Earlier this year after completing 3 marathons and 2 ultras I took two weeks off; in my first two runs after the rest I developed ITB in my left leg. I took another week off and really didn't do anything else and when I started running again it was gone. After running a trail marathon in early December I ran a week later with no issues and then took two weeks off. Again, when I started running I experienced ITB issues after only two miles. I began rolling and stretching but I continue to experience pain within the first two miles. Looking back to earlier this year I took a week off and it went away. I plan on doing that again along with rolling and stretching. Any other thoughts besides not taking two weeks off again?
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

ITB again, any thoughts? Empty Re: ITB again, any thoughts?

Post  charles.moman Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Imagine that you are younger? Embarassed
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:01 pm

If this is something that comes and goes, it may be a mechanical issue. If you haven't, you should have your stride analyzed to see if there are any mechanical flaws that may be causing the ITB pain.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:45 pm

Try different shoes? Seriously.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Strengthen the muscles around it, too.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:21 pm

Strengthen the gluteus medius and maximus. The medius is ignored by many. Also, when you are foam rolling also roll the tensor fascia late or TFL. Google TFL so you can see where it is. This is another area that is ignored. The ITB is a strong band and is hard to stretch. But, the TFL is a muscle and can be manipulated more. You could also try some yoga stretch's like the pigeon. Good luck.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:38 am

Thanks everyone for your advice...I know the strengthening is probably the key.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:57 am

I second Randy's advice. I have similar issues that crop up when I get lazy and don't stretch or strengthen enough. I constantly work my TFL and glutes to stay ahead.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:59 pm

When I had ITB problems, heavy duty massage did a lot for me. My physical therapist was able to get in there and work things better than the foam roller could. It hurt like hell, but a few massage sessions, combined with some strength training, had me fixed in a matter of weeks.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:12 am

Thought I would post an update to document the results. I focused on massage, rolling, strengthening and stretching. Probably not as religiously as I should have due to my work schedule. My massage therapist told me to roll diagonally across the ITB which seems to have helped. Saturday was my first pain free run; did 3.25 miles. This a.m. I did 4 miles in the field house without any pain. Now I can map out a plan to train for the Illinois half marathon.

Thanks for all of your advice!
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:18 pm

Jeff F wrote:Thought I would post an update to document the results. I focused on massage, rolling, strengthening and stretching. Probably not as religiously as I should have due to my work schedule. My massage therapist told me to roll diagonally across the ITB which seems to have helped. Saturday was my first pain free run; did 3.25 miles. This a.m. I did 4 miles in the field house without any pain. Now I can map out a plan to train for the Illinois half marathon.

Thanks for all of your advice!

That is good to hear Jeff. Remember to continue to stretch, roll, and strengthen Even if you are running pain free. Once you start increasing your workload, the symptoms may come back.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down