365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some random thoughts

+11
amyjoann
KathyK
Paula Sue
Mark B
Colleen
mountandog
Seth Harrison
Martin VW
carleenp
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
15 posters

Go down

Some random thoughts Empty Some random thoughts

Post  Jerry Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:38 am

Here is my response to a friend on a small running email list if I ran Boston on Monday yesterday.

--------

No, I didn't. Thanks for asking.

For years, I corresponded with runners online, some I have met in person in races, others I haven't. But we have known each others for years that we understand each other in details like inside jokes, training patterns and issues such as I almost never ran a marathon without potty stop.

For years, we have tracked each other for big races like Chicago, NYC and Boston. People have tracked me for my first sub 3 attempt, my half pr race and congratulated me in private even before I posted official report. When I BQ'd in Houston 2009, I wrote my shortest race report before we checked out hotel, 3:19:41. They instantly knew what it meant.

Yesterday was a different day. As we tracked and realized several of them would be at the finish line around the explosion time, nervousness started mounting. I made several phone calls, but none reached anyone. Those are runners I never met in person. Luckily, none was affected physically.

I was planning to run Boston 2014. The 8 years old died waiting for his dad finishing saddened me the most. I was there 2009 just to have fun and celebrate my two years hard training. I was greeted by my wife and daughter on heart break hill. I stopped and took time to take pictures etc. I can't imagine the suffering the dad William Richard is having.

I always thought the saddest running tragedy was Ryan Shay's death in 2008 Olympic Trial marathon. While Ryan was pursuing an outside chance for Olympics, while his wife, an elite runner too, was waiting for that "surprise", she got a total different one.

The 8 years old boy, Martin Richard's death trumped the Shay tragedy.

On my way home yesterday, I was thinking, even though I didn't plan my daughter to Boston next with me, if she had any worry, I might need to rethink my plan. So far, she took it well. Good to be a kid.

But Boston marathon has changed forever. I was actually watching the interview last night on CNN.

http://piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/15/fred-treseler-on-the-boston-marathon-for-certain-the-boston-marathon-has-been-changed-forever/?iref=allsearch

Then today, I read this blog,

www.logicoflongdistance.com/2013/04/a-bomb-is-opposite-of-marathon.html

Not sure what I tried to convey except some random thoughts. I do wear my Boston shirt and jacket to work today. A friend in China told me he would run today in his Adidas Boston today and I thanked him for that.

Peace!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Some random thoughts Empty Re: Some random thoughts

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:48 am

Jerry - first time that I have started to tear up since I returned. I am definitely beginning to process. You summed it all up. Thank you my friend.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:45 am

Very well said Jerry.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks, Jerry. It's tragic on so many different levels. I mentioned earlier that I don't think they were targeting Boston as a marathon, but as a sporting event conducted on a global scale. Still, they can't screen spectators at a marathon as they can at a stadium.

Not only is the Boston Marathon never going to be the same, but the city of Boston as well. One thing that characterized it is it's such an open city, in part, I believe, due to its place in history. How much that will change, I don't know.

I hope you do come in for the event next year, as planned.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:50 pm

Thank you for this Jerry, and thank you again for your call after the marathon. It was incredibly thoughtful of you to reach out to me, and it meant more than I can say.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:16 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:Thank you for this Jerry, and thank you again for your call after the marathon. It was incredibly thoughtful of you to reach out to me, and it meant more than I can say.

ditto Jerry. Your call was a big boost.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Colleen Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:57 pm

Well said, Jerry. We're a community of runners who have become friends through the years, whether we've met in person or not, and when I came back from dinner that evening and heard the news, my first thoughts were of our friends who were running.
Colleen
Colleen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:03 pm

Well said, Jerry. Thanks.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Your random thoughts were right on target. We are such a family of virtual runners. Monday I panicked because I hadn't been on any of the running forums for so long. Relief came as I found information from everyone I knew. While our friends who were running Boston recover from this emotional tragedy they witnessed, we unite to support them as well as each other. Each post demonstrates that sincere support. Most important, don't take your eye from the goal. Don't let these villains take away your spirit or they win.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Yes...totally on target. Thanks for posting Jerry.
I have not met any of my friends in this wonderful community in person. But I consider you all my friends just the same. I sent prayers of thanks that all of my friends (that I've never actually met in person...) running Boston were all safe.

KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Martin VW wrote:Thanks, Jerry. It's tragic on so many different levels. I mentioned earlier that I don't think they were targeting Boston as a marathon, but as a sporting event conducted on a global scale. Still, they can't screen spectators at a marathon as they can at a stadium.

Not only is the Boston Marathon never going to be the same, but the city of Boston as well. One thing that characterized it is it's such an open city, in part, I believe, due to its place in history. How much that will change, I don't know.

I hope you do come in for the event next year, as planned.

I am going.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Well said Jerry, I was also very concerned for all my virtual friends I have never met but follow also. All of you that were there, have a lot of healing to do,it will take time and the support of all your families. I wish you the best and you are all in my prayers, evil will not win, we will continue to run and support the communities that are devasted right now.
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:38 pm

You hit it right on the head, my friend. In fact, Dave-O is the only V-Teamer/365er that I have met in person, but Monday still hit me pretty hard. You all are family to me, even if I have never met you.

My goal is still to qualify and run Boston, but now I add another log to the fire that fuels my motivation to qualify and run the race. The Boston Marathon is now changed forever.

Thank you for your random thoughts!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cushing Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:05 am

Great thoughts Jerry. You really summed up how I feel as well.
Monday night my 11 year old son got out of his bed and gave me a hug and while crying said, "I so glad you weren't in Boston Dad!" But feeling like I know some of you, I was glad I could check up on those that were in Boston and make sure they were alright.
Ken Cushing
Ken Cushing

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:58 am

Hey Jerry, maybe we can finally meet up at Boston 2014? I pray so.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:14 am

Well said Jerry. We're planning to run Boston next year too. See you there buddy.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down