365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

75th Running of the Manchester Road Race

5 posters

Go down

75th Running of the Manchester Road Race Empty 75th Running of the Manchester Road Race

Post  Michael Enright Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:24 pm

It was a beautiful day (sunny and about 40 degrees) for the 75th running of the Thanksgiving Day road race in Manchester, CT. Amby Burfoot (who ran this race for the 49th straight year) and 15,000 of his closest friends ran the 4.75 mile loop, which includes a mile-long climb of a couple hundred feet in the second mile.
This race is a circus, and is hard to run fast, and the hill helps to keep my time down. I always run it in 36:xx, and this year was no different, finishing at 36:31. A bit slower than last year, when I was in better shape, but not much (less than 30 seconds difference). I could have run it a little faster, but unless I'm going to break 35:00 (and I'm not!), I just don't feel like it - this race is too crazy. I'll keep running it as long as my daughter wants to run it. I drove her and 4 friends, and they ran dressed as candy canes, and handed out candy to little kids among the spectators. All in all, a good time. This year's race also commemorated the breaking of the gender barrier - the woman who did that years ago, defying the AAU, ran the race again today, and even wore the same outfit she did that day! Wow. You go girl! Also, a 91 year old woman ran it yet again. This race has it all!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

75th Running of the Manchester Road Race Empty Re: 75th Running of the Manchester Road Race

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:28 pm

It looks like a fun race and a nice holiday tradition Michael. Probably not a race to worry about your fastest times. Your daughter and her friends certainly got into the spirit. Happy Thanksgiving!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

75th Running of the Manchester Road Race Empty Re: 75th Running of the Manchester Road Race

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:31 pm

That sounds like a great race and a great way to enjoy the holiday with family - thanks for sharing it!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:13 am

Great job, Michael. I ran this ran once back in the mid 1980s and all I remember was/is the hill. Congrats!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:46 pm

Nice job, Michael. I agree, you've got to run a race if your daughter is. Congrats on a fine run.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down