365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NYCM: The View From the Third Wave

+16
Michael Enright
Julie
Diego
Matt W
nkrichards
Dave Wolfe
Jim Lentz
Vivian
John Kilpatrick
Mark B
mountandog
Randy E
Sara Jane
Michele "1L" Keane
Seth Harrison
Natalie
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NYCM: The View From the Third Wave Empty NYCM: The View From the Third Wave

Post  Natalie Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:31 pm

When I ran the New York City Marathon in 2007, there were no wave starts. There were 38,5xx finishers and it took a long time to cross the starting mat. But, I'll take that over the wave start any day -- at least from my perspective as a third wave starter.

There is another thread that talks about the possibility of a two day event. With the wave starts, the third wave starts an hour after the first wave. 10:40 vs 9:40. Arriving at Fort Wadsworth on Staten Island, it is clear that we are not the first arrivals. The port-a-potties, which seem plentiful, are already disgusting and out of toilet paper and hand sanitizer. We are the stepchildren of the marathon. When we are called into our corrals, there are pacers, but they are all bunched together... there is no longer any organizational system to get us in our proper corral or lined up with the pacers according to our projected finish time. It is a mass entrance from one location. At least in the Blue Corral.

As four years ago, we are herded to the start. The stands are empty of spectators except for one lone roof-top bus. The emotion is still there, however, when Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York" plays from the loudspeakers. I had read though, that there was to be a live singer at the start. I wondered if we missed him, or if he was only live for the early start...

Brooklyn is still filled with rabid fans. But they were fewer after an hour. I cannot say that the fans carried me through, since I got the distinct feeling that there were fewer of them then I remembered. There are amazingly enthusiastic bands and entertainment every mile or less and I definitely enjoyed them. But, I noticed a difference. And, I'll say it again... bathrooms are disgusting. Beyond disgusting. There are a lot of them, but how many is enough for a race to accommodate 47,000 runners?

There are drink stations every mile, which means, as SJ so accurately described it to me later, that you are practically running on cups for a large portion of every mile.

Do I love New York? I do. Would I run the New York City Marathon again? Not if I knew I would be in the Third Wave. Not a chance.

And, on top of everything, because of the late start (10:40) and the time change, by the time I met my family, it was, indeed, dark.

PS: I still stand by my record of perfect marathon weather through ten marathons. Cool
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

NYCM: The View From the Third Wave Empty Re: NYCM: The View From the Third Wave

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:38 pm

I can relate to your frustration in having such a lousy starting position Natalie, but for slightly different reasons. When I ran NY in 2007, I also was also towards the rear. First of all, having to hang around Ft. Wadsworth for all that extra time is anything but fun. What was toughest for me was that I spent 16 miles, just until the bridge, weaving and squeezing past slower runners who started ahead of me. I didn't have any porta-potty issues, so I didn't have to deal with what you did. I also found the crowd support to be fantastic throughout. That said, I came away also bummed about having such a crappy starting position. It really does make a difference.
Now, how about the rest of your race report???
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:01 pm

Sorry you had to deal with that stuff, Natalie, but if it makes you feel any better there were tons of cups on the roaad when I went through as well.

I hope the actual running went better than the rest of your report Wink I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet you. Next time, I hope.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:00 pm

And I was running on those cups in the SECOND wave! I honestly think a water stop every mile is too much. It's convenient, yes. But the chaos comes way too often.

Way to stick it out. I agree with your assessments. We don't even need to get into the post-race logistics! NYRR does a great job in so many ways, the race is just so huge.

Nonetheless, it's another one in the books! Wish I would have seen you, though!
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:10 pm

Natalie,
Sorry the experience was not the best for you. Sounds like some changes need to be made. Every runner should have a great memorable experience.
Regardless, congrats on another marathon.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:52 pm

The run actually sucked for me, so overall, I just didn't enjoy it this year. It's entirely possible that I wasn't able to focus my attention on enjoying it because I was also so focused on getting elected. Bad timing, for sure! But we loved "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying." Our seats were the best... thanks Sara Jane! And Sarah's weekend was a success because we ran smack into the Occupy Wall Street encampment when we went to the 9/11 Memorial on Monday. Not to mention seeing Daniel Radcliffe...

I think it's time to add another year to the lottery. If you can wait four for guaranteed entry, what's one more year? I'd prefer a field about 10,000 smaller...

In a race this size, I can understand the water stops mile. Otherwise, they would be completely overloaded if they were every other mile, which is how often I took water. But, it does make for an icky run.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:55 pm

Wow Natalie,

What a bummer. When you consider the time, effort, enthusiasm and cost to run this, how disappointing. I have never run NYC (but am considering it - but you give me second thoughts) but ran BOS a couple of time and DC, w/o those issues. I am lucky enough to be further up but can certainly sense the lack of continuity for those further back. I like the big races, but I really love the small ones. Yes crowd support is smaller, but its real because they are there to support YOU.

Sorry for your disappointment.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:46 pm

Yipes. I can't even imagine running in a race with 47,000 runners.... and the idea of having two-thirds of them already through the course (and porta-potties) is less than appealing. I'm surprised you didn't come home with bits of Gu packets stuck to the bottom of your shoes.

It's too bad that the experience was so altogether unpleasant. I hope it works out better next time.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:12 am

Mark B wrote: I'm surprised you didn't come home with bits of Gu packets stuck to the bottom of your shoes.

It's too bad that the experience was so altogether unpleasant. I hope it works out better next time.

My shoes are gross! They are in a plastic bag and I'm not sure I want to take them out. I would possibly consider running NY again (for a charity), but I might have to fudge on my predicted finish time. If I knew I was going to be in the third wave again -- even with what I thought was a reasonable, mid-pack goal of 4:28 -- I wouldn't do it.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:38 am

I would of never thought it would be that bad to start a big race like that with a later starting time. That is a total bummer. I did a triathlon with about 2700 people and I thought that was ridiculously huge! Can't even imagine the type of numbers you are talking about. That porta-potty situation sounds awful and certainly is not fair to not have the same conditions for everyone. I still think it is pretty cool that a)you got elected and b)you actually got to run the New York marathon though.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:29 pm

Yikes, what a terrible race experience. How much difference a couple of waves makes. It doesn't even seem like we were in the same race.

But, congratulations on winning the most important race, Councilwoman! Now, that is impressive!
Vivian
Vivian

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:00 pm

Too bad it wasn't a better experience.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:39 am

I've been thinking about your comments for a few days and think many of them are valid. I had GI issues and the port-a-johns were . . . enough said.

I think the race has gotten too big. A final thought about the 3rd wave -- I felt it wasn't possible to to make it to the meet-up after the race.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:15 pm

Dave Wolfe wrote:I've been thinking about your comments for a few days and think many of them are valid. I had GI issues and the port-a-johns were . . . enough said.

I think the race has gotten too big. A final thought about the 3rd wave -- I felt it wasn't possible to to make it to the meet-up after the race.

Yes, absolutely. I really wanted to go to the meet-up, and that was also a factor that presented itself as stress during the race. I knew I'd be late and I was afraid I'd miss it (which I did). It takes so long just to leave after the race that getting to the meetup was impossible. My family would have killed me and I would have been asleep on my feet. Don't forget, we also had the time change to contend with.

As for the port-a-johns, well, I ran with six tampons in my pockets, so I had no choice but to go in them. Also... enough said. Embarassed
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:01 pm

Sorry to hear that it wasn't the experience you were hoping for. It would have been a tough run mentally under those conditions...I admire you for sticking it out.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:34 pm

I'm sorry the race wasn't what you were hoping for. Marathons are tough enough as it is without all the extra inconvenience. Congrats on fighting through it and earning another finisher's medal.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:52 pm

Yikes Natalie, running on cups, having folks urinate on you(which ought to be a felony--for exposure and littering and assault), and missing out on the crowd support while being stuck behind other walkers in running disguises sound terrible.

Can you give me any reasons why a NYC newbie like me should ever run this race?

Congrats on the council victory--what district or burrough?
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Diego wrote:

Because you would be in Wave 1, most likely on the top of the bridge, and ahead of all the cups and most of the crazies.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Diego wrote:

Because you would be in Wave 1, most likely on the top of the bridge, and ahead of all the cups and most of the crazies.

Yes! That's my reason too and you should DO IT DIEGO! I was lucky enough to be on the top of the bridge and I saw at least 10 men urinating off the side of the bridge. Can someone please explain that to me? There are tons of opportunities to go while we are being herded to the start. I think they read about other people doing it and then think it's ok for them to do it too. Can you imagine a woman just squatting down on the pavement? Seriously guys!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:54 pm

Natalie, sorry that was not a good race...I'm glad you shared, though, it gives the rest of us something to think about when we're planning our NY marathon. I'm thinking maybe Wineglass. Anyway, I'm sorry it wasn't well organized for 3rd wavers. Congratulations on another marathon, though, and congrats on another great weather race!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:50 pm

Natalie wrote:
Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Diego wrote:

Yes! That's my reason too and you should DO IT DIEGO! I was lucky enough to be on the top of the bridge and I saw at least 10 men urinating off the side of the bridge. Can someone please explain that to me? There are tons of opportunities to go while we are being herded to the start. I think they read about other people doing it and then think it's ok for them to do it too. Can you imagine a woman just squatting down on the pavement? Seriously guys!
Oh, peeing off the bridge would be GREAT! Sounds like a must!
Seriously, I'm a little too shy for that.
Glad you got through this one, sorry the third wave was gross, and a belated congrats on your election!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:50 pm

Congratulation on another New York, Natalie!

I understand your frustration. I don't like point to point race, not to mention a mega one. This adds tremendous stress, which is why I very hesitate to run New York or Boston again besides they are hilly.

That's why I went to New York and Boston just for fun. What is weird is the weather is always perfect. When I went to Chicago, perfect place to pursue time, ........ twice. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Jerry wrote:When I went to Chicago, perfect place to pursue time, ........ twice. lol!

Maybe it's time for me to start thinking about Chicago again. I haven't run it since 2005, but then I wouldn't want to blow my perfect weather streak!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Natalie wrote:
Jerry wrote:When I went to Chicago, perfect place to pursue time, ........ twice. lol!

Maybe it's time for me to start thinking about Chicago again. I haven't run it since 2005, but then I wouldn't want to blow my perfect weather streak!

I almost said if you go, I will. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:Now, how about the rest of your race report???
Yeah, where's the rest of your report toots? ... I jest. ... I see it now.
Natalie wrote:There are drink stations every mile, which means, as SJ so accurately described it to me later, that you are practically running on cups for a large portion of every mile.
You gave me a good laugh with this. I wondered: 'what's all this talk about cups?' Then I remembered, ... I too ran on cups. And I was well ahead of you guys. By the time you came through it must have been a veritable sea of cups. Perhaps it's time for the assembly to rise when you enter council chambers and remark in unison: Hail Natalie, Queen of Cups!
Natalie wrote:I was lucky enough to be on the top of the bridge and I saw at least 10 men urinating off the side of the bridge.
Thanks for this. I was warned about it, but wasn't sure it was true. Now I see it was good advice to stay toward the center of the bridge if you're running below.
Natalie wrote:I really wanted to go to the meet-up, and that was also a factor that presented itself as stress during the race. I knew I'd be late and I was afraid I'd miss it (which I did). It takes so long just to leave after the race that getting to the meetup was impossible. My family would have killed me and I would have been asleep on my feet.
We'll take you unconditionally, asleep on your feet or otherwise, any day.

Postscript: Don't even THINK about Chicago -- You'd risk your perfect weather record.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next