365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post Run Muscle Twitch...

+12
Stephanie
Dave-O
ChasMcG
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Schuey
sir digby
Paula Sue
Kenny B.
charles.moman
John Kilpatrick
Nick Morris
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Post Run Muscle Twitch... - Page 2 Empty Re: Post Run Muscle Twitch...

Post  Stephanie Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:08 pm

Schuey wrote:We found it at a Apothecary place here in Chicago. But here is the link to Ancient Minerals website:
http://www.ancient-
minerals.com/products/magnesium-lotion/?gclid=CJCD3Kybn6oCFUPBKgodkEN45w
As for the Epsom Salt I still use the same old Epsom Salt that I have always bought. We get that from Costco here, which is a wholesale warehouse type of place. Which is great because we buy in bulk for very very cheap compared to what it cost in a store.
Ooooo Costco... awesome! I'll go there for sure... what section would it be in? The pharmacy?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Stephanie O wrote:
Schuey wrote:We found it at a Apothecary place here in Chicago. But here is the link to Ancient Minerals website:
As for the Epsom Salt I still use the same old Epsom Salt that I have always bought. We get that from Costco here, which is a wholesale warehouse type of place. Which is great because we buy in bulk for very very cheap compared to what it cost in a store.
Ooooo Costco... awesome! I'll go there for sure... what section would it be in? The pharmacy?

Yep should be over by the pharmacy section with all the other vitamins and etc. The brand they carry at our Costco is Swan comes with 3 4Lb bags for I think under 8.00. Totally worth the price.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  sir digby Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:18 pm

On a serious note I have the same thing after long runs, hard workouts and really bad post marathon, I don't think it's anything to worry about.
sir digby
sir digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:03 am

Schuey wrote:Yep should be over by the pharmacy section with all the other vitamins and etc. The brand they carry at our Costco is Swan comes with 3 4Lb bags for I think under 8.00. Totally worth the price.
Perfect! Thanks for your help!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:59 am

Stephanie O wrote:
Schuey wrote:Yep should be over by the pharmacy section with all the other vitamins and etc. The brand they carry at our Costco is Swan comes with 3 4Lb bags for I think under 8.00. Totally worth the price.
Perfect! Thanks for your help!

3 4lb bags, not sure if you buy supplement or naval orange. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post Run Muscle Twitch... - Page 2 Empty Exact Issue

Post  givings Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks for the post. I have had this issue and it has gown worse over the last few years (M/50). After any long (2+ hr) run or just a really hard one, my calfs may twitch for quite a while. This makes it a little difficult to sleep or nap and may end in bad cramps. Yesterday after 2 1/2 hours in 80 degree weather and 80% humidity, it just would not stop. I take Magnesium, Calcium and Possasium. The best preventive I seem to have is cutting out the coffee and loading up on supplements/salt and foods such as Spinach.

I will try the epsom and maybe the topicals. Here's a list of food sources of Magnesium, Calcium, and Potassium.

World's Healthiest Foods ranked as quality sources of
magnesium
FoodServingCalsAmountDVNutrientWorld's
Size(mg)(%)DensityHealthiest
Foods Rating
Swiss Chard1 cup, cooked35150.537.619.4excellent
Spinach1 cup, cooked41.4156.639.117excellent

potassium
Foods Rating
Swiss Chard1 cup, cooked35960.7527.414.1excellent
Mushrooms - Crimini5 oz-wt, raw31.2635.0318.110.5excellent
Spinach1 cup, cooked41.4838.82410.4excellent

calcium
Foods Rating
Turnip Greens1 cup, cooked28.8197.2819.712.3excellent
Thyme2 tsp7.752.925.312.3very good
Oregano2 tsp9.557.495.710.8very good
Spinach1 cup, cooked41.4244.824.510.6excellent
Collard Greens1 cup, cooked49.426626.69.7excellent

givings

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:43 am

givings wrote:Thanks for the post. I have had this issue and it has gown worse over the last few years (M/50). After any long (2+ hr) run or just a really hard one, my calfs may twitch for quite a while. This makes it a little difficult to sleep or nap and may end in bad cramps. Yesterday after 2 1/2 hours in 80 degree weather and 80% humidity, it just would not stop. I take Magnesium, Calcium and Possasium. The best preventive I seem to have is cutting out the coffee and loading up on supplements/salt and foods such as Spinach.

I will try the epsom and maybe the topicals. Here's a list of food sources of Magnesium, Calcium, and Potassium.

magnesium
Foods Rating
Swiss Chard1 cup, cooked35150.537.619.4excellent
Spinach1 cup, cooked41.4156.639.117excellent

potassium
Foods Rating
Swiss Chard1 cup, cooked35960.7527.414.1excellent
Mushrooms - Crimini5 oz-wt, raw31.2635.0318.110.5excellent
Spinach1 cup, cooked41.4838.82410.4excellent

calcium
Foods Rating
Turnip Greens1 cup, cooked28.8197.2819.712.3excellent
Thyme2 tsp7.752.925.312.3very good
Oregano2 tsp9.557.495.710.8very good
Spinach1 cup, cooked41.4244.824.510.6excellent
Collard Greens1 cup, cooked49.426626.69.7excellent

I am currently taking vitamin D supplements. So far, it seems to have helped a little. But I have still have twitching. I have only been taking them for a month, so I am hoping that the longer I take them the better it gets.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:07 pm

My husband and I get them all the time after we run. I think it's funny i say my legs are still running ,it doesn't hurt but it's real wierd I;ve had it happened for years not all the time it just has to be a longish run or a fast one ,easy runs don't affect it
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:47 pm

Schuey wrote:
Stephanie O wrote:
Schuey wrote:Think that one of the common reasons for twitching/spasms could be from dehydration or low levels of such minerals like potassium, magnesium and calcium. Most people are deficient in magnesium, that is why I'm a big fan of epsom salt baths. I also started using an Epsom Lotion and then this weekend I found a new product by Ancient Mineral which makes a Magnesium oil which contains 560mg per tsp and a lotion which contains 185gm per tsp.

The thing with magnesium is that it is hard for the body to absorb it orally. The best way for the body to absorb magnesium is by warm bath or topical application. Also with the oil and lotion I will use that after taking a epsom salt bath or warm shower because that helps opens the pores which allows for even more to be absorb.
Schuey, where did you get this magnesium lotion & oil from? A natural food store? Not sure if I could get it where I live but it's worth a shot. Also, do you or any others know where you can get larger amounts of epsom salts for cheaper prices? Our nearby drugstore carries an ok sized bag but it doesn't last all that long for the amount of epsom I should be putting in the bath for recovery.

We found it at a Apothecary place here in Chicago. But here is the link to Ancient Minerals website:

Hopefully you can find a place near by you that sells it or you can google it to find a place by you.

Costco's not a store?
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2