365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Presque Isle Half Marathon, Erie, PA

+13
Jim Lentz
Paula Sue
Diego
T Miller
John Kilpatrick
Jeff F
Alex Kubacki
fostever
Randy E
Matt W
Kenny B.
Peg Coover
Michele "1L" Keane
17 posters

Go down

Presque Isle Half Marathon, Erie, PA Empty Presque Isle Half Marathon, Erie, PA

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:18 am

Quick recap: This is a half marathon that encompasses one loop around Presque Isle - a peninsula that juts out into the lake from Erie, PA. I've run this race several times so I know it well, and it generally attracts runners from all over northern Ohio, PA, and western NY state. There are generally a lot of summer people like myself as well. The course is pretty easy with just enough roll to keep it from being pancake flat and an equal mix of sun and shade. Since it was almost 75F at the start, the shade would be welcomed.

Because of the hear/humidity/dewpoint and the fact that I ran the Boilermaker 15K the previous Sunday, I did not wear my Garmin so I have no idea what my splits were/are. I tried to be conservative in the beginning and when the miles got hot (sun) from about 7.5 to almost 11, I made sure to walk through every water stop (like in a marathon) taking two cups of water or one water and one Heed, and making sure I got the fluids. Although my 365 Competitors singlet is might fine, it probably did not want to be that drenched so quickly!

At mile 11, the shade returns and I tried to just hold on in the heat. I had passed three women who passed me back at the water stop at mile 10.5, but I quickly caught them back and held them off through the finish. Even with mile 12 seemingly endless as you can see the finish almost the entire way (final mile is the flattest and on a bike path along the lake), I was able to finish pretty strong and cross the line in 1:47:09 Official - good for 1st in my AG, 11th overall, and 3rd Master overall.

After I crossed the line, I immediately veered to the right and went straight into the lake, and weird of weird, it felt great to be in Lake Erie!

I looked up my last couple of year's worth of runs at Presque Isle and was pleased to see that despite the heat and humidity (it was 83F at the finish and went up from there), I ran one of my faster times over the course. I guess it pays to have learned how to run in the heat after all these years.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Presque Isle Half Marathon, Erie, PA Empty Re: Presque Isle Half Marathon, Erie, PA

Post  Peg Coover Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:21 am

That is an awesome race Michele! Amazing!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Presque Isle Half Marathon, Erie, PA Empty Re: Presque Isle Half Marathon, Erie, PA

Post  Kenny B. Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:50 am

Ok someone had a kick ass race. 1st in AG 11th overall is fantastic. Must have been so nice jumping in the lake after.

Seeing the finish line from a mile out is tough mentally. Kind of got focus on right before so it never comes into your sight.

What a wonderful race CONGRATS!

PS: Thanks for sporting the singlet. Send me pics if you get them!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:08 am

Nice job Michele. That was an impressive performance in the heat. Your experience and toughness paid off for you.

Keep up the great running!
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:33 am

Awesome job Michele. Way to go!!!!
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:38 am

Nice race and congats on the AG win. Nutt'in wrong with Lake Erie Crying or Very sad
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:03 am

Great job Michele especially in those conditions. Congrats on the AG win.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Sorry, Kenny - no pictures from this race that I know of - in fact I never even saw a photographer on the course. It is still a small race in its mentality which is why I like it so much. The Erie Running Club is a great organization.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:53 pm

Michele, great race! Thanks for sharing.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:12 pm

Presque Isle Half Marathon, Erie, PA 424776184

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Way to go Michele and congrats on the AG win!
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:20 pm

Somebody already mentioned this onePresque Isle Half Marathon, Erie, PA 666742919 .

Nice work 'L' and way to kick it.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:24 pm

Nice run, Michele...and hardware to boot! Congratulations on the AG and Masters placements...well done!
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:01 pm

Wow, congratulations on taking 1st pace in your AG, Michele.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:04 pm

This is a great time and AG win, Michele!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:59 pm

What can I say other then congrats again for another awesome race and AG win! I want to be like you Michele, I think I just found myself a new hero! You are on Flame
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:00 pm

Fantastic! 1st place in your AG is a win.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:20 pm

1st in your AG is nice, but I bet that plunge in the lake felt even better.

Reminds me of the final leg at DWD. Presque Isle Half Marathon, Erie, PA 235134252
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down