365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Tim M on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:54 pm

This is a list of vegetables in the culinary sense.

1. Celery
2. Carrot
3. Cucumber
4. Cabbage
5. Chickpea

I have Celery as #1 because it is good with Peanut Butter. Cabbage is just ahead of the Chickpea because I like Coleslaw better than hummus.
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

Posts : 414
Points : 3462
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : 5280

View user profile http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Oh brother!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 12596
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 38
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Tim M on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:21 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:Oh brother!!

Yes, that's the point. How many Top 5 Lists do we need? Seriously?
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

Posts : 414
Points : 3462
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : 5280

View user profile http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:24 pm

@Tim M wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:Oh brother!!

Yes, that's the point. How many Top 5 Lists do we need? Seriously?

5??
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 12596
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 38
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:40 pm

@Tim M wrote:This is a list of vegetables in the culinary sense.

1. Celery
2. Carrot
3. Cucumber
4. Cabbage
5. Chickpea

I have Celery as #1 because it is good with Peanut Butter. Cabbage is just ahead of the Chickpea because I like Coleslaw better than hummus.

Can opener for beer? Oh wait, we're talking vegetables....hmmmmm.... scratch
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1125
Points : 4443
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 42
Location : Valparaiso, IN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Schuey on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:45 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:
@Tim M wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:Oh brother!!

Yes, that's the point. How many Top 5 Lists do we need? Seriously?

5??

I don't know as many as possible?

Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2172
Points : 6130
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 48
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  ChasMcG on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:08 pm

I haven't even been able to post Top 5 favorite sex positions yet!


Sad
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Posts : 478
Points : 3514
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 43
Location : Colorado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Admin on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:09 pm

@ChasMcG wrote:I haven't even been able to post Top 5 favorite sex positions yet!


Sad

What if we narrowed it down to your Favorite 5 Top Positions?

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 4499
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  ChasMcG on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:17 pm

@Mr MattM wrote:
@ChasMcG wrote:I haven't even been able to post Top 5 favorite sex positions yet!


Sad

What if we narrowed it down to your Favorite 5 Top Positions?

Cowgirl.....backwards cowgirl.....

tongue
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Posts : 478
Points : 3514
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 43
Location : Colorado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:04 pm

@Tim M wrote:This is a list of vegetables in the culinary sense.

1. Celery
2. Carrot
3. Cucumber
4. Cabbage
5. Chickpea

I have Celery as #1 because it is good with Peanut Butter. Cabbage is just ahead of the Chickpea because I like Coleslaw better than hummus.

Chickpeas are legumes, but that's beside the point.

Chard
Cilantro (yeah, it's an herb, but if we're allowed to use legumes...)
Corn (yeah, it's a grain/grass, but see above...)
Carrot
Coffee (shhhh)
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3191
Points : 8404
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 32
Location : Arlington, VA

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Admin on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:14 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:
@Tim M wrote:This is a list of vegetables in the culinary sense.

1. Celery
2. Carrot
3. Cucumber
4. Cabbage
5. Chickpea

I have Celery as #1 because it is good with Peanut Butter. Cabbage is just ahead of the Chickpea because I like Coleslaw better than hummus.

Chickpeas are legumes, but that's beside the point.

Chard
Cilantro (yeah, it's an herb, but if we're allowed to use legumes...)
Corn (yeah, it's a grain/grass, but see above...)
Carrot
Coffee (shhhh)

Note that Tim's list was qualified with the phrase 'in a culinary sense'. In that context, chickpeas are a vegetable. Not unlike the tomato, which for culinary purposes is a vegetable... but scientifically is a fruit.

EDIT: Cilantro won't cut it, but corn is a culinary vegetable.

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 4499
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Tim M on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:19 pm

@Mr MattM wrote:
@Mike MacLellan wrote:
@Tim M wrote:This is a list of vegetables in the culinary sense.

1. Celery
2. Carrot
3. Cucumber
4. Cabbage
5. Chickpea

I have Celery as #1 because it is good with Peanut Butter. Cabbage is just ahead of the Chickpea because I like Coleslaw better than hummus.

Chickpeas are legumes, but that's beside the point.

Chard
Cilantro (yeah, it's an herb, but if we're allowed to use legumes...)
Corn (yeah, it's a grain/grass, but see above...)
Carrot
Coffee (shhhh)

Note that Tim's list was qualified with the phrase 'in a culinary sense'. In that context, chickpeas are a vegetable. Not unlike the tomato, which for culinary purposes is a vegetable... but scientifically is a fruit.

EDIT: Cilantro won't cut it, but corn is a culinary vegetable.

Matt, you are mostly correct. According to Wiki, corn is a cereal and not a culinary vegetable. Otherwise, it would have been in my list. Very Happy
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

Posts : 414
Points : 3462
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : 5280

View user profile http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Admin on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:24 pm

@Tim M wrote:Matt, you are mostly correct. According to Wiki, corn is a cereal and not a culinary vegetable. Otherwise, it would have been in my list. Very Happy

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_corn_a_grain_or_a_vegetable

Corn seed is actually a vegetable, a grain, and a fruit.
Corn seed is a vegetable because it is harvested for eating. (Usually sweet corn when grain is harvested at the milk stage.)
Corn seed is a grain because it is a dry seed of a grass species. (Usually field corn when harvested after the grain is relatively dry.)
Corn seed is a fruit because that is the botanical definition.
More details follow.
Corn (Zea mays) is sometimes called a vegetable grain. Corn is a monocotyledon with only one seed leaf like grasses. The easily identified "grains" (or cereal plants/grasses) such as wheat, oats, and barley are also monocots. A grain is defined as the harvested dry seeds or fruit of a cereal grass, or the term can refer to the cereal grasses collectively.
Field corn that is harvested when the seeds are dry would thus be considered a grain. Sweet corn when harvested before maturity is usually considered a vegetable. It is grown to be eaten fresh as a tender vegetable rather than as a dried grain suitable for grinding into flour or meal. A vegetable is defined as a plant cultivated for an edible part or parts such as roots, stems, leaves, flowers, or seeds/fruit.
If you want to be very precise, all cereal grains could be called vegetables, but by convention we separate the cereal grains from the rest of the "vegetables" such as peas, lettuce, potatoes, cabbage, etc.

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 4499
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Tim M on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:27 pm

@Mr MattM wrote:
@Tim M wrote:Matt, you are mostly correct. According to Wiki, corn is a cereal and not a culinary vegetable. Otherwise, it would have been in my list. Very Happy

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_corn_a_grain_or_a_vegetable

Corn seed is actually a vegetable, a grain, and a fruit.
Corn seed is a vegetable because it is harvested for eating. (Usually sweet corn when grain is harvested at the milk stage.)
Corn seed is a grain because it is a dry seed of a grass species. (Usually field corn when harvested after the grain is relatively dry.)
Corn seed is a fruit because that is the botanical definition.
More details follow.
Corn (Zea mays) is sometimes called a vegetable grain. Corn is a monocotyledon with only one seed leaf like grasses. The easily identified "grains" (or cereal plants/grasses) such as wheat, oats, and barley are also monocots. A grain is defined as the harvested dry seeds or fruit of a cereal grass, or the term can refer to the cereal grasses collectively.
Field corn that is harvested when the seeds are dry would thus be considered a grain. Sweet corn when harvested before maturity is usually considered a vegetable. It is grown to be eaten fresh as a tender vegetable rather than as a dried grain suitable for grinding into flour or meal. A vegetable is defined as a plant cultivated for an edible part or parts such as roots, stems, leaves, flowers, or seeds/fruit.
If you want to be very precise, all cereal grains could be called vegetables, but by convention we separate the cereal grains from the rest of the "vegetables" such as peas, lettuce, potatoes, cabbage, etc.

I went off this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_culinary_vegetables
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

Posts : 414
Points : 3462
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : 5280

View user profile http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  ChasMcG on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:28 pm

I thought corn was a steel since it's intact coming out. lol!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Posts : 478
Points : 3514
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 43
Location : Colorado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:51 am

@ChasMcG wrote:I thought corn was a steel since it's intact coming out. lol!


Really???
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 12596
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 38
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Diego on Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:05 am

In Tennessee, corn is a national treasure, especially if you have ever heard 'Rocky Top'.

It's an animal, vegetable, and a mineral. It's breakfast, lunch and dinner. More importantly, given 120 minutes of distillation, one could re-tie this thread into the beer and spirits thread. clown drunken clown drunken


And then we could stop with the 5 favorite threads for awhile. Sleep Rolling Eyes
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Posts : 599
Points : 3790
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 56
Location : Maine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum