365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

+4
Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Nick Morris
Tim M
8 posters

Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Tim M Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:54 pm

This is a list of vegetables in the culinary sense.

1. Celery
2. Carrot
3. Cucumber
4. Cabbage
5. Chickpea

I have Celery as #1 because it is good with Peanut Butter. Cabbage is just ahead of the Chickpea because I like Coleslaw better than hummus.
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:57 pm

Oh brother!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C" Empty Re: Top 5 Vegetables Starting With the Letter "C"

Post  Tim M Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:21 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Oh brother!!

Yes, that's the point. How many Top 5 Lists do we need? Seriously?
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Tim M wrote:

5??
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:40 pm

Tim M wrote:This is a list of vegetables in the culinary sense.

1. Celery
2. Carrot
3. Cucumber
4. Cabbage
5. Chickpea

I have Celery as #1 because it is good with Peanut Butter. Cabbage is just ahead of the Chickpea because I like Coleslaw better than hummus.

Can opener for beer? Oh wait, we're talking vegetables....hmmmmm.... scratch
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:45 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Tim M wrote:

5??

I don't know as many as possible?

Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:08 pm

I haven't even been able to post Top 5 favorite sex positions yet!

Sad
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:09 pm

ChasMcG wrote:I haven't even been able to post Top 5 favorite sex positions yet!

Sad

What if we narrowed it down to your Favorite 5 Top Positions?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:17 pm

Mr MattM wrote:
ChasMcG wrote:I haven't even been able to post Top 5 favorite sex positions yet!

Sad

What if we narrowed it down to your Favorite 5 Top Positions?

Cowgirl.....backwards cowgirl.....

tongue
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:04 am

1. Celery
2. Carrot
3. Cucumber
4. Cabbage
5. Chickpea

Chickpeas are legumes, but that's beside the point.

Chard
Cilantro (yeah, it's an herb, but if we're allowed to use legumes...)
Corn (yeah, it's a grain/grass, but see above...)
Carrot
Coffee (shhhh)
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:14 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:

1. Celery
2. Carrot
3. Cucumber
4. Cabbage
5. Chickpea

Chard
Carrot
Coffee (shhhh)

Note that Tim's list was qualified with the phrase 'in a culinary sense'. In that context, chickpeas are a vegetable. Not unlike the tomato, which for culinary purposes is a vegetable... but scientifically is a fruit.

EDIT: Cilantro won't cut it, but corn is a culinary vegetable.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:19 am

Mr MattM wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:

1. Celery
2. Carrot
3. Cucumber
4. Cabbage
5. Chickpea

Chard
Carrot
Coffee (shhhh)

Note that Tim's list was qualified with the phrase 'in a culinary sense'. In that context, chickpeas are a vegetable. Not unlike the tomato, which for culinary purposes is a vegetable... but scientifically is a fruit.

EDIT: Cilantro won't cut it, but corn is a culinary vegetable.

Matt, you are mostly correct. According to Wiki, corn is a cereal and not a culinary vegetable. Otherwise, it would have been in my list. Very Happy
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:24 am

Tim M wrote:Matt, you are mostly correct. According to Wiki, corn is a cereal and not a culinary vegetable. Otherwise, it would have been in my list. Very Happy

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_corn_a_grain_or_a_vegetable

Corn seed is actually a vegetable, a grain, and a fruit.
Corn seed is a vegetable because it is harvested for eating. (Usually sweet corn when grain is harvested at the milk stage.)
Corn seed is a grain because it is a dry seed of a grass species. (Usually field corn when harvested after the grain is relatively dry.)
Corn seed is a fruit because that is the botanical definition.
More details follow.
Corn (Zea mays) is sometimes called a vegetable grain. Corn is a monocotyledon with only one seed leaf like grasses. The easily identified "grains" (or cereal plants/grasses) such as wheat, oats, and barley are also monocots. A grain is defined as the harvested dry seeds or fruit of a cereal grass, or the term can refer to the cereal grasses collectively.
Field corn that is harvested when the seeds are dry would thus be considered a grain. Sweet corn when harvested before maturity is usually considered a vegetable. It is grown to be eaten fresh as a tender vegetable rather than as a dried grain suitable for grinding into flour or meal. A vegetable is defined as a plant cultivated for an edible part or parts such as roots, stems, leaves, flowers, or seeds/fruit.
If you want to be very precise, all cereal grains could be called vegetables, but by convention we separate the cereal grains from the rest of the "vegetables" such as peas, lettuce, potatoes, cabbage, etc.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:27 am

Mr MattM wrote:
Tim M wrote:Matt, you are mostly correct. According to Wiki, corn is a cereal and not a culinary vegetable. Otherwise, it would have been in my list. Very Happy

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_corn_a_grain_or_a_vegetable

Corn seed is actually a vegetable, a grain, and a fruit.
Corn seed is a vegetable because it is harvested for eating. (Usually sweet corn when grain is harvested at the milk stage.)
Corn seed is a grain because it is a dry seed of a grass species. (Usually field corn when harvested after the grain is relatively dry.)
Corn seed is a fruit because that is the botanical definition.
More details follow.
Corn (Zea mays) is sometimes called a vegetable grain. Corn is a monocotyledon with only one seed leaf like grasses. The easily identified "grains" (or cereal plants/grasses) such as wheat, oats, and barley are also monocots. A grain is defined as the harvested dry seeds or fruit of a cereal grass, or the term can refer to the cereal grasses collectively.
Field corn that is harvested when the seeds are dry would thus be considered a grain. Sweet corn when harvested before maturity is usually considered a vegetable. It is grown to be eaten fresh as a tender vegetable rather than as a dried grain suitable for grinding into flour or meal. A vegetable is defined as a plant cultivated for an edible part or parts such as roots, stems, leaves, flowers, or seeds/fruit.
If you want to be very precise, all cereal grains could be called vegetables, but by convention we separate the cereal grains from the rest of the "vegetables" such as peas, lettuce, potatoes, cabbage, etc.

I went off this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_culinary_vegetables
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:28 am

I thought corn was a steel since it's intact coming out. lol!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:51 am

ChasMcG wrote:I thought corn was a steel since it's intact coming out. lol!

Really???
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:05 am

In Tennessee, corn is a national treasure, especially if you have ever heard 'Rocky Top'.

It's an animal, vegetable, and a mineral. It's breakfast, lunch and dinner. More importantly, given 120 minutes of distillation, one could re-tie this thread into the beer and spirits thread. clown drunken clown drunken

And then we could stop with the 5 favorite threads for awhile. Sleep Rolling Eyes
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down