365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting over in Maine

+23
ChasMcG
Penelope
Dave-O
Chris M
JohnP
John Kilpatrick
Natalie
healdgator
Peg Coover
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
Scott C
Matt W
mul21
Mike MacLellan
Jerry
Max M
Kenny B.
Mrs. Schuey
Schuey
Seth Harrison
KBFitz
Diego
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Starting over in Maine Empty Starting over in Maine

Post  Diego Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks for the invite to the new digs! Diego has left the building. JimD has returned in his place.

Plans for this blog are pretty simple. Just run and see where it leads me.

Upcoming marathons:

St. John's New Brunswick August 14--first marathon in almost 2 years--cool vacation spot where I hope to re-qualify for Boston.
Portland Maine Marathon October 2
MDI Bar Harbor Marathon October 16

If I recover from those, then the Manchester NH marathon in November is the next stop.

No time goals right now.

I comfortably ran 50 miles along the Cherry Creek path in Denver(ACSM) two weeks ago before I was befelled by a nasty URI from my son.

Did you know that there are genes that keep people from being physically active--that sucks!! They call them the "couch potato genes".

We survived the Maine winter. Who knew you could have 20 straight days of rain in May and a golf ball sized hail storm last week? Even crusty Mainers were on edge.

New favorite beer and it's not even close. Zoe from the Maine Beer Company. You can't buy it except in a restaurant or occasional market--it's nano brewed.

I also tried at least 20 beers at the Yard House Pub in Denver since the Rockies weren't in town and there was nothing else to do downtown.

Emme turns 3 in a few weeks and Christian used his 6 months of karate to block a stupid 5 year old's punches at T-ball practice. Who knew? Amazing!

I think he and I will see Green Lantern tomorrow--my favorite superhero when I was little.

Running plans: Now that I'm beginning to feel better, I'm going to go with the moderate intensity every day running plan. Every run will be a fartlek run with varying intervals. One day may be 200's. Another may be 600-1200's. And others may be lots of 100's. Hills are included in almost all my runs anyway. Once I finish my first Canadian marathon, I may fine tune things with tempos and MP runs, but I just want it fun for right now.

Cheers.

Jim

I should eventually have a new avatar--but hopefully you can read the strip.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Starting over in Maine Empty Re: Starting over in Maine

Post  KBFitz Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Hey, it's JimmieD! Welcome aboard xDiego. Now all we gotta do is get Mardi on board and we'll have a quorum. Coolio! Cool

Aren't all Mainers crusty ... or at least crustaceany?

Last edited by KBFitz on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:26 pm

That's a lot of marathons in a short period of time Jim, but seeing how you just knocked out a comfortable 50, it looks like you're conditioned for it.
What kind of beer is Zoe? I'm always good for a discussion on micro and craft brews.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Yeah Jim has joined the party!! Going to love reading your blog, always have. I always seem to learn a lot from you and I have missed that the past year!

lol! at the couch potato gene line!

Happy early Birthday to Emme and good to see the money used for karate for Christian has paid off.

Green Lantern was always one of my favorites as a kid along with Silver Surfer. Lisa just doesn't understand, I told it's a boy thing!

Hope you get the BQ so we can meet up in Boston this coming Spring!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:31 pm

Hi there JimD! Is Fight Doc hanging out with Diego? If so, I'll keep calling you JimD...I like it, it has a nice ring to it!

I'm glad you survived the Maine winter...it had to be tough, however, I bet it's beautiful there now! Smile The beer tastings sound nice! You have to love it when you find a nice local beer.

I'm glad you like the new digs, we all do too! What's nice about the new iTeam is that Diego is hanging out with all of the past cliques....there are a lot of great new people around and it's going to be nice to form new memories! Very Happy Very Happy
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:31 pm

Looking forward to the blog and seeing how you fair with those marathons. Comfortable 50? Ok, what are you eating?
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:What kind of beer is Zoe? I'm always good for a discussion on micro and craft brews.

+1 ! bounce bounce
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Max M Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:56 pm

Nice to see you back Jim!
Max M
Max M

https://picasaweb.google.com/maxmmb/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:43 pm

How to pronounce D in jimd? study
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Jerry, I think it's the past tense of Jim. Jimmed. Wink

I envy the nonchalance with which you mentioned a 50 mile run. If I can dig a little bit: what kind of pace do you keep during that run, compared to, say, a typical LSD?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:22 pm

I'm relatively certain he meant he ran 50 miles in a week and then got a cold.

But anyway, we definitely need more details on the beer!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 pm

mul21 wrote:I'm relatively certain he meant he ran 50 miles in a week and then got a cold.

...Oh. Laughing
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:36 am

Yeah 50 miles in a week. Comrades doesn't happen for a few more years.

Here's the info on Zoe--7.2% alcohol and 16oz bottles dark amber.
Here's some reviews.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20681/54522

Somebody on youtube also did a tasting.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:36 am

Hi Diego! Jim D!!

It's good to have you on the boards again. I hope you continue to recover and feel stronger as you run more and more. Good luck with upcoming training/racing.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:16 am

jimd wrote:Yeah 50 miles in a week. Comrades doesn't happen for a few more years.

Here's the info on Zoe--7.2% alcohol and 16oz bottles dark amber.
Here's some reviews.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20681/54522

Somebody on youtube also did a tasting.

I prefer colorful drink in a martini class maybe an umbrella or two with a cherry! But hey that's me. drunken
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott C Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Doc - glad you found your way here. It was great to see you last month. And thanks for lunch, it was the best part of the trip to Maine!
Scott C
Scott C

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:54 pm

Hey, Jim. So after a Maine winter, are you yet enjoying a Maine summer? It should be way better than a Tennessee one.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:47 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Hey, Jim. So after a Maine winter, are you yet enjoying a Maine summer? It should be way better than a Tennessee one.

Girl, you are not kidding. A mini-twister tore some shingles off our roof and took down two trees in our yard and many others back in Tennessee. Only God knows when our house will sell.

Let's see. 95 -99 in TN vs. 65 here. Tough choice. cheers
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:01 am

Hi Jim

Best wishes on your training! I thought you meant you ran a 50 milers a few weeks ago and sounded so nonchalant. I hope you get your BQ this fall and get registered in time. One of my friends is 10 minutes under her time needed but still doesn't know if she'll get in. Enjoy the good training weather! One of my friends is in ME and the snow last winter just sounded brutal.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:07 am

I guess I am officially a New Englander. I like Guster, a local group that is quite underrated. I watched most of the Bruins Stanley Cup games and will soon attend some Portland Sea Dogs(Red Sox farm team) games with our kids. I'm counting the days until the Red Sox add another banner for Boston. What a hot team!! I also have discovered Maine beer as I mentioned last time, fish brought in from the coast each day, and red hot dogs.

On the running front, I am finally over this cold--2.5 weeks. I have never not been able to run with a cold, but the runs I tried with this thing were equivalent to trying to run while sucking through a straw.

Today was awesome. My first run since breaking the ankle where I was able to hold a sub 8 minute pace for ten miles over rolling hills and not feel like I worked too hard.

My wife finished her book--a retelling of the Canterbury Tales using kids with psionic powers. There's no reason why she shouldn't finally get a book published. She's getting her web page up and running with it soon, too.

Jim(Diego)

Oh yeah, you know how high schools usually have a last name that starts with the first letter of the school name(e.g. Valley Vikings).
I think Colby College should be called the Crustaceans instead of the Mules. I wouldn't want to be called a Mule. Crustaceans are feisty and taste good.

Finally--new science--they are using lobster shells to create golf balls for use on cruise ships(very green and cool idea).
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:11 am

Scott C wrote:Doc - glad you found your way here. It was great to see you last month. And thanks for lunch, it was the best part of the trip to Maine!

You're welcome. I'm glad you were able to suffer your way to the finish line, and I hope it didn't rain too much on you.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:10 am

mul21 wrote:

Yes, please! All the beer details in the first post made me smile!

Kenny B. wrote:

I prefer colorful drink in a martini class maybe an umbrella or two with a cherry! But hey that's me. drunken

That's funny Kenny! I tease my husband because he likes cosmopolitans! I always thought the martini glass was cool but I can't sip them--I'm too used to beer and therefore drink them too fast---------that spells trouble!

Good luck JimD!!!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:16 am

Peg Coover wrote:
mul21 wrote:

Yes, please! All the beer details in the first post made me smile!

Kenny B. wrote:

That's funny Kenny! I tease my husband because he likes cosmopolitans! I always thought the martini glass was cool but I can't sip them--I'm too used to beer and therefore drink them too fast---------that spells trouble!

Good luck JimD!!!

Your hubby must be a good man. I love cosoms. My wife makes fun of me also. bounce drunken
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:02 pm

I think my running will finally kick in this week. It must--I only have about 6 weeks until my marathon.

We have a great new radiostation up here that I love-- KCLZ in Portland. They play new artists in our area(207) and the local New England area. The music fits my tastes well.

Here's a sample: The Last Crusade by the Sam Roberts Band: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CDoQtwIwBg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dh4VDwK_QDVo&ei=p6cITrLmMuLc0QGOu60s&usg=AFQjCNEk4us2BMD-u_ScIBCCK89n02HYqA

If you're not dancing to this song, you're dead.

One of our friends from LV bought a golf club up here in Maine(only open in the summers months) and we went up to Lucerne(outside Bangor) to meet them, have dinner and play some golf--my first round in 4 years. Thank God my 5 year old son was with me in the cart. The levity between the two of us kept the edge off my pitiful play.

Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:36 pm

I hope your running really kicks in for your 6 week training cycle leading to the next marathon.

Funny you mention golf. I've been meaning to get out on the links, but I have a feeling my game (which is nothing to write home about anyway) would provide levity on its own. Hopefully you get a chance to redeem yourself now that you've had a chance to shake off the rust.

Good luck in kicking your training in gear.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next