365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Belmar 5 mile curse has been lifted

+7
Julie
John Kilpatrick
Michael Enright
Jim Lentz
Pete B
fostever
Kenny B.
11 posters

Go down

Belmar 5 mile curse has been lifted Empty Belmar 5 mile curse has been lifted

Post  Kenny B. Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:57 am

The Belmar 5 curse has been lifted. I have run this race 4 years in a row pretty much consistent times never really doing well vs. other 5 mile races including George Sheehan race 3 weeks earlier.

Weather: Typical July 8:30 am start 73 degrees with 90% humidity and all sun. Winds heading 5-10mph north west which was felt a bit during mile 3 and parts of 4.

Goal A: Sub 35
Goal B: NEW PR sub 35:13
Goal C: Set Course record and go sub 36

Parking was a bitch today had to walk about a mile to the start but that is because I got there only 30 min to spare.

Mile 1: I ran this mile perfectly coming in at 6:58 split. Legs were feeling very good I was keeping to a quick and short stride feeling I would lengthen as I progressed. This seemed to help keep my HR down.

Mile 2: started to feel the humidity and heat and lost some time here 7:03 split but was still in contention of sub 35.

Mile 3: This was a tough mile it was headed not only in a headwind but the sun was directly beating down on the front of my body. I ran behind someone for most of it but lost time here clocking 7:09. At this point I felt sub 35 was out of the question. And now I was just running to maintain some type of decent time.

Mile 4: The wheels felt good but the heart was giving out I just did not seem to have the stamina during this mile to maintain 7 min mile. I consciously slowed down to wear I felt mile 5 would be somewhat strong. Clocked 7:16.

Mile 5: Honestly at the start of mile 5 I figured PR was gone and now I am just holding on for sub 36. But mile 5 consisted of some shade and eventually heading away from the sun with a no wind at our face. I suddenly felt a second wind and was clocking 7 min pace. At this point I was passing a few people and the last .35 miles I felt like I had a strong sprint in me. I hit 5:19 at my fastest point and clocked a stellar 6:48 pace.

The last .5 mile heads straight so you can see the finish line banners it looks close but it ain't. As I got closer I looked at my watch and say 34:13 34:30 and then pushing it with all I got as I saw the time ahead it said 35:08 09 11 and just could not get there for a new pr.

Hit the finish line at 35:16 (unofficial). Missed PR by 3-4 seconds but set a new course record by 1:28.

Overall this was a great race for me and felt quite successful considering the history of my times (see below) and the weather. I have no doubt in cooler weather low 34's are mine. I hit my watch off a few seconds after crossing make sure I get a good photo finish with my new TEAM365 Singlet.

Tomorrow 12 miles and Tuesday starts official 14-19 week multi-marathon training with a new blog. Now that is exciting.

Belmar 5 mile curse has been lifted Untitl13
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Belmar 5 mile curse has been lifted Empty Re: Belmar 5 mile curse has been lifted

Post  fostever Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:27 am

Nice improvement. Hard to set PR's in the heat so great solid performance, Kenny. Way to go!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Belmar 5 mile curse has been lifted Empty Re: Belmar 5 mile curse has been lifted

Post  Pete B Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:54 am

Nice course PR - maybe that mile walk to the start really helped!
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:51 pm

Nice job on the race, Kenny.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Nice!

Curse B Gone!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks for the report and congrats!!! Where did that last mile come from? That is a solid improvement from the previous years - I know it took a lot of work to get there. Great job. cheers

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:37 pm

Great race! Congratulations on the course PR! Looking forward to your new blog.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:07 pm

A great strong finish! Well run Kenny.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:20 pm

YAY Kenny! So happy for you!!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:24 am

Great job Kenny in that humidity.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:02 am

Nice finish, Kenny - wish I had that in me yesterday! The curse is gone now - so on to that crazy marathon training. Can't wait to follow along.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:19 am

Thanks everyone! I just looked up the OFFICIAL TIME: 35:15 missed a new PR by 3 seconds. I certainly think I had it in me to make up that 3 seconds somewhere. Just starting my kick a bit earlier would have made the difference. I will remember that next time!

Belmar 5 mile curse has been lifted Untitl14
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down