365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Belmar 5k Race

4 posters

Go down

Belmar 5k Race  Empty Belmar 5k Race

Post  Kenny B. Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:29 pm

My official PR is 20:13 or something during colder months. Unofficial is 19:55 which I computed on a mismeasured course. With the summer heat and humidity I was not sure if I can break into the 19's.

Annual 5k Belmar Chase Run at the beach! I got to say it was one of the most exciting 5k race I have run as they did a GREAT job especially the finish line chute had a big race feel to it. Actually a big turn out I think over 700 people and a few past Olympians participated. I guess they are connected as it is a race for charity.

8:30am start it was 75 degrees 98% humidity. NO joke muggy soggy. My shorts were already soaked as we just stand their toeing the line.

I did a mile warm up some a few quick strides and it felt like breathing though oatmeal.

I figured I'd try to run around 6:30's splits and see what happens.

Mile 1: Headed south for about mile before we go around the lake. Pace was around 6:35 when I hit the first split. But, I was already feeling the weather beating down on me.

Mile 2: I lost some ground here around 6:50 pace and this was semi intentional because I knew if I did not slow down I would not have anything left for mile 3.

Mile 3: Sun came out which did not help and we were headed back north to the finish line. I knew sub 20 was not in the cards at all so goal was now sub 21. I started to pass a few people and ran a 6:45 split.

.1 : I really cranked it up here ran around 5:40 pace and past another handful of runners and beat out 2 of them just to the line.

As I ran the 100m through the chute it was cool as spectators lined up along side. Gave it the big feel race that is typically missed on small town races.

Overall 20:46. Missed an AG grade award as I came in 4th! Not my best time but it is in the top 3 or 4 and considering my best times have been in cooler weather months I think this was a success.

When I crossed line exhausted and crouched over all of sudden I felt ice cold water poured all over my head and back. It was AWESOME. Volunteer took it upon herself to cool my sweaty smell ass off.

Spoke to some runners after the race they all seemed to have run a good 30 seconds slower than usual. Winning time by the way was in the 14's! A few guys!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Belmar 5k Race  Empty Re: Belmar 5k Race

Post  Michael Enright Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:20 pm

Sounds like a great event, Kenny, and you certainly ran it well, given the conditions. I can vouch for the humidity yesterday morning - I was up early and checking on it, and it was easily 70 or higher dew point - not good race weather!!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:25 pm

Congratulations Kenny, nice job on a warmer day.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:28 pm

Congrats on a nice race, Kenny!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life