365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's all about the base

5 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

It's all about the base - Page 2 Empty Re: It's all about the base

Post  nkrichards Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:47 pm

Absolutely awesome run this morning.

Up early for MBF Lower Body Burn and a quick breakfast then I headed out to pick up Janice.  She asked me to join her for a long run and wanted to try a new route.  It was forecast to be VERY WINDY.  I was not looking forward to the run.  We drove to the Lake Billy Chinook observatory and parked.  I often bike the overlook road.  We planned to run it.  Relatively flat and awesome views when the weather is nice.  We planned our run so that we would be running into the wind the first half and have a nice tailwind on the way back to the car.  Just as we were taking off the winds calmed significantly and the sun came out.   Laughing  I won't say it wasn't windy but it was a very comfortable wind and the views lived up to their reputation.  We did have to cross two cattle guards...twice...and Janice needed to steady herself on my arm but it only slowed us a couple seconds.

9 miles @11:21 HR 147/162 Cad 159
This was an awesome pace for Janice!  We had such a fun time together..

I've run a lot of miles in the last 4 days.  Tomorrow will be MBF Core and then we're headed out for a long drive to pick up parts for the farm.  

Rest day from running...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:03 pm

nkrichards wrote:Easy day as promised.  MBF Dynamic recovery.  I absolutely love this workout.  Easy but effective dynamic stretching.

I was tempted to head out for an easy 3 miler.  I knew better but...  Fortunately the wind was absolutely howling so I stayed inside like a good girl.

I need to remember to rest...

Happy to read that you did rest on Sunday and that you know your pace target for sub-140 bpm. I would be very pleased to know the range, too.

Do you realize that neither of us has had any running related injuries in a while? I think we are getting better at whoaing

10 miles ought to be a good effort. I hope the weather cooperates.

ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:53 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Easy day as promised.  MBF Dynamic recovery.  I absolutely love this workout.  Easy but effective dynamic stretching.

I was tempted to head out for an easy 3 miler.  I knew better but...  Fortunately the wind was absolutely howling so I stayed inside like a good girl.

Happy to read that you did rest on Sunday and that you know your pace target for sub-140 bpm.  I would be very pleased to know the range, too.

Do you realize that neither of us has had any running related injuries in a while? I think we are getting better at whoaing

10 miles ought to be a good effort.  I hope the weather cooperates.

You bring up a very good point Doug.  I think we're both learning to listen to our bodies and maybe act our age.  Maybe.

So we did get in our MBF core workout on Tuesday before heading out on our parts run.  6 1/2 hour drive...ugh.  I packed a lunch and snacks as we didn't want to take the time or risk of stopping to eat.  I struggle to sit still for that long.  It was especially tough after our 9 mile run on Monday.  It was a great run and we both pushed the pace a bit but my legs were not happy when I woke up Tuesday morning.  And then I asked them to sit in a car!

Wednesday MBF Upper Body in the morning.  Easy run in the afternoon.  It got late and I got busy.

5 miles @ 11:14 143/157 Cad 159

I pushed the pace a bit harder than I intended in miles 3 and 4 and my HR responded as expected.

Thursday MBF Core this morning.  Wasn't feeling great so I modified and took it easy.

I had a scratchy throat when I went to bed last night and it's a bit more sore this morning.  A bad cold (not COVID) has been working it's way through Kevin's family.  I thought I had been able to avoid catching it but now I'm not so sure.  If it does get worse it's really going to mess up my plans to run in the 10 mile event with Janice on Sunday.  Downing an Emergen-C as I type.

And I just heard that Brooks is discontinuing their Ravenna line.  I've been in Ravennas since 2010 when they first came out.  That's the shoe that they put me in when I was recovering from Plantar Fasciitis.  We've been through 11 updates together.  They recommend transitioning into their Launch GTS 8.  I have one more pair of Ravennas in the closet.  I think it would be a good time to make a point of visiting the running store and getting a proper fitting.  I don't like change when things are working.  Hope this doesn't mess up my streak of no running injuries.  Shocked

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:29 pm

I did make it out on Thursday afternoon for a short run.

3 miles @ 10:55 139/153 Cad 161

Much faster pace than planned!  I did manage to keep the HR <140 but only because it was a short run.  Had I gone my normal 5 miles it would have been in the 140s. These paces are starting to feel so much easier that I often don't realize how fast I'm going.  I do think that I need to try and keep my easy runs at <140 HR or as close as I can...even when they are longer.  And I'm not anywhere near BQ pace at that HR (10:15ish).  I don't want to screw up this "running slower" experiment but I'm itching to try some faster running.  

I messaged Dr. B and he suggested I schedule a virtual appointment to discuss my running plans.  I thought I should touch base with him before jumping in with a coach and I'm not scheduled to see him in person until mid-summer.

I almost forgot the most important topic this morning.  I'm downing another dose of Emergen-C as I type.  I definitely have a bit of a bug.  The scratchy throat is slightly better but I have a bit of a stuffy nose and discomfort in my ears (my ears are what always seems to indicate that something isn't quite right).  I don't feel worse than I did yesterday.  I felt better after getting outdoors for my short run yesterday...it was a gorgeous day.  And my symptoms were less noticeable after my MBF workout this morning.

Planning to run later today if I'm still feeling OK.  Still planning to "race" on Sunday as long as I don't get any sicker.  I may suggest that I drive to the event rather than carpool with Janice and her husband as I don't want to pass this on to them.  I think running will be safe enough but being in the car together might not be a good plan.  Not concerned about COVID...but I don't want to pass it on even if it is just a cold.

Long list of chores today...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:18 pm

So Friday was MBF Total Body Burn (weights).  As mentioned previously I've got a bit of a cold and I'm hoping/planning to participate in an in-person event on Sunday so I'm trying not to overdo it this week.  I did head out for an afternoon easy effort run.

5 miles @ 11:40 HR 140/151 Cad 159

1. 11:19 HR 130/141 Cad 160
  2. 11:26 HR 142/151 Cad 161
  3. 11:32 HR 144/151 Cad 159
  4. 11:54 HR 143/149 Cad 159
  5. 12:09 HR 141/151 Cad 158

Mark and I have an ongoing discussion about MAF testing in his blog.  Based on his suggestion that I set my watch so that all I can see is my current HR (I think Doug was alluding to this tactic in a previous post as well) and then slow down to keep in in the desired range I tried something...  

I started out like I normally do and was seeing my typical HR drift even though I was trying to ease off a bit.  Then when I had about 2 miles to go I thought heck...why not give it a try...  So I switched my watch to the HR screen and left it there for the remainder of the run.  My goal HR was 140.  You can see that it took significant slowing of the pace...and time/distance before my HR dropped back to the goal of 140. This was complicated by the fact that my route has some rolling hills and even though I tried to slow my HR increased on the hills.  Only option would have been to walk and I wasn't willing to do that...yet.  Mark's suggestion that I do the actual test on the school track is a good one and I think it's going to be necessary in order to get an accurate test.

Interesting experiment...complicated by hills and my cold.  (My RHR has been up slightly the last few days and I am congested so activity is a bit harder than normal.)

I was exhausted last night so went to bed early and slept well.  Woke up with some congestion but it cleared up a bit during/after our Saturday morning workout.  MBF Power Ignite (strength and cardio).  I don't plan to run today but may walk down to get the paper.  It's a mile round trip and I think a brisk walk and some time outdoors will feel good.

Janice and I have decided not to carpool to the Dam Run in the morning.  I don't want to risk giving her my cold before she sees her grandkids next week.  Her husband is planning on doing the 5K so he was/is going to drive and I'll meet them there.  We'll be pretty safe running outdoors.  If I'm feeling worse in the morning I may back out...we'll see.  I also have the option to run it as a race or slow down and run it as a pacer for Janice...or anything in between.

Edited to add:  I did walk down to get the paper.  Just for fun I started my Vivosport watch.  I started at the field as I had to take something out for Marty so got a bit more distance than planned.

1.25 miles @ 16:36 HR 102/118

I was using my watch with the wrist HR data not my running HR strap so the data isn't perfectly comparable.  The only really interesting data is the fact that my HR was very steady right at around 100 until I headed up the hill.  It quickly went up to 118 and then dropped just as quickly as I turned around and headed back down the hill.  The "hill" is only 25' high.  It's at the end of the gravel where the pavement starts and the road turns.  Interesting and fun little experiment.  

Still stuffy but not terrible...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:08 pm

Well the Dam Run is in the books.

9.9 miles @ 10:57  HR 145/172 Cad 161

Ran this with Janice this morning.  Janice was disappointed that it was a short 10.   Laughing  Very small in-person event.  Janice said several times that I should run my race and not stay with her but it was on a remote country road and she was by far the slowest runner.  (I might have been able to hold on to the runners in front of us.)  I just didn't feel comfortable leaving her on her own so I stuck with her.  I used my cold as my excuse as I could tell she felt bad.  Anyway...she ran a fantastic race.  She has never run even close to that pace for that distance.  I had to push her hard the last couple miles to get us in under an 11:00 pace but she rose to the challenge.  We finished on the track and once I get her there I finished fast.  It was really a fun run.  

Pretty interesting run.  No water or fuel.  It was chilly so I didn't get thirsty but would have used water and fuel if available.  Pleased with my HR.  The averages are high because of the last couple faster miles and the fast finish but there was minimal HR drift for the bulk of the miles.

Per their social media posts...we put our dam shoes on and ran.   Running Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:22 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Happy to read that you did rest on Sunday and that you know your pace target for sub-140 bpm.  I would be very pleased to know the range, too.

10 miles ought to be a good effort.  I hope the weather cooperates.

You bring up a very good point Doug.  I think we're both learning to listen to our bodies and maybe act our age.  Maybe.

So we did get in our MBF core workout on Tuesday before heading out on our parts run.  6 1/2 hour drive...ugh.  I packed a lunch and snacks as we didn't want to take the time or risk of stopping to eat.  I struggle to sit still for that long.  It was especially tough after our 9 mile run on Monday.  It was a great run and we both pushed the pace a bit but my legs were not happy when I woke up Tuesday morning.  And then I asked them to sit in a car!

Wednesday MBF Upper Body in the morning.  Easy run in the afternoon.  It got late and I got busy.

5 miles @ 11:14 143/157 Cad 159

I pushed the pace a bit harder than I intended in miles 3 and 4 and my HR responded as expected.

Thursday MBF Core this morning.  Wasn't feeling great so I modified and took it easy.

I had a scratchy throat when I went to bed last night and it's a bit more sore this morning.  A bad cold (not COVID) has been working it's way through Kevin's family.  I thought I had been able to avoid catching it but now I'm not so sure.  If it does get worse it's really going to mess up my plans to run in the 10 mile event with Janice on Sunday.  Downing an Emergen-C as I type.

And I just heard that Brooks is discontinuing their Ravenna line.  I've been in Ravennas since 2010 when they first came out.  That's the shoe that they put me in when I was recovering from Plantar Fasciitis.  We've been through 11 updates together.  They recommend transitioning into their Launch GTS 8.  I have one more pair of Ravennas in the closet.  I think it would be a good time to make a point of visiting the running store and getting a proper fitting.  I don't like change when things are working.  Hope this doesn't mess up my streak of no running injuries.  Shocked

And life goes on...
Hope your cold was vanquished by the Emergen-C. 

Regarding the Ravenna, you might check out Runningwarehouse.com.  I pretty much get all my shoes there, except like you, when a model is discontinued or my feet change.
It's all about the base - Page 2 BRV11W2-1
Clearance!
Brooks Ravenna 11 Women's Shoes Majolica/Navy/Desert
$84.95 $110.00*

When Saucony comes out with a new Kinvara, that means runningwarehouse.com is putting the old model on sale...much like now with your Ravenna.  Plus, the clearance price will go lower, as they have fewer in stock. Amazon might have them on sale or not.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:38 pm

nkrichards wrote:I did make it out on Thursday afternoon for a short run.

3 miles @ 10:55 139/153 Cad 161

Much faster pace than planned!  I did manage to keep the HR <140 but only because it was a short run.  Had I gone my normal 5 miles it would have been in the 140s. These paces are starting to feel so much easier that I often don't realize how fast I'm going.  I do think that I need to try and keep my easy runs at <140 HR or as close as I can...even when they are longer.  And I'm not anywhere near BQ pace at that HR (10:15ish).  I don't want to screw up this "running slower" experiment but I'm itching to try some faster running.  

I messaged Dr. B and he suggested I schedule a virtual appointment to discuss my running plans.  I thought I should touch base with him before jumping in with a coach and I'm not scheduled to see him in person until mid-summer.

I almost forgot the most important topic this morning.  I'm downing another dose of Emergen-C as I type.  I definitely have a bit of a bug.  The scratchy throat is slightly better but I have a bit of a stuffy nose and discomfort in my ears (my ears are what always seems to indicate that something isn't quite right).  I don't feel worse than I did yesterday.  I felt better after getting outdoors for my short run yesterday...it was a gorgeous day.  And my symptoms were less noticeable after my MBF workout this morning.

Planning to run later today if I'm still feeling OK.  Still planning to "race" on Sunday as long as I don't get any sicker.  I may suggest that I drive to the event rather than carpool with Janice and her husband as I don't want to pass this on to them.  I think running will be safe enough but being in the car together might not be a good plan.  Not concerned about COVID...but I don't want to pass it on even if it is just a cold.

Long list of chores today...
How is your RHR reacting to your cold?  Just curious.

Your HR versus your pace is showing progress, as you pointed out.  Yet, scratch that itch!  If you feel the need to go, then GO!  It's not going to screw up your experiment.  Heck, it might even help it out by making your heart to not get too comfortable.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:01 pm

nkrichards wrote:So Friday was MBF Total Body Burn (weights).  As mentioned previously I've got a bit of a cold and I'm hoping/planning to participate in an in-person event on Sunday so I'm trying not to overdo it this week.  I did head out for an afternoon easy effort run.

Mark and I have an ongoing discussion about MAF testing in his blog.  Based on his suggestion that I set my watch so that all I can see is my current HR (I think Doug was alluding to this tactic in a previous post as well) and then slow down to keep in in the desired range I tried something...  

I started out like I normally do and was seeing my typical HR drift even though I was trying to ease off a bit.  Then when I had about 2 miles to go I thought heck...why not give it a try...  So I switched my watch to the HR screen and left it there for the remainder of the run.  My goal HR was 140.  You can see that it took significant slowing of the pace...and time/distance before my HR dropped back to the goal of 140. This was complicated by the fact that my route has some rolling hills and even though I tried to slow my HR increased on the hills.  Only option would have been to walk and I wasn't willing to do that...yet.  Mark's suggestion that I do the actual test on the school track is a good one and I think it's going to be necessary in order to get an accurate test.

Interesting experiment...complicated by hills and my cold.  (My RHR has been up slightly the last few days and I am congested so activity is a bit harder than normal.)

I was exhausted last night so went to bed early and slept well.  Woke up with some congestion but it cleared up a bit during/after our Saturday morning workout.  MBF Power Ignite (strength and cardio).  I don't plan to run today but may walk down to get the paper.  It's a mile round trip and I think a brisk walk and some time outdoors will feel good.

Janice and I have decided not to carpool to the Dam Run in the morning.  I don't want to risk giving her my cold before she sees her grandkids next week.  Her husband is planning on doing the 5K so he was/is going to drive and I'll meet them there.  We'll be pretty safe running outdoors.  If I'm feeling worse in the morning I may back out...we'll see.  I also have the option to run it as a race or slow down and run it as a pacer for Janice...or anything in between.

Edited to add:  I did walk down to get the paper.  Just for fun I started my Vivosport watch.  I started at the field as I had to take something out for Marty so got a bit more distance than planned.

1.25 miles @ 16:36 HR 102/118

I was using my watch with the wrist HR data not my running HR strap so the data isn't perfectly comparable.  The only really interesting data is the fact that my HR was very steady right at around 100 until I headed up the hill.  It quickly went up to 118 and then dropped just as quickly as I turned around and headed back down the hill.  The "hill" is only 25' high.  It's at the end of the gravel where the pavement starts and the road turns.  Interesting and fun little experiment.  

Still stuffy but not terrible...
I think you can be flexible on that 140 on a non-flat surface.  Run the 5 at a comfortable pace or effort.  Then compare the HR on your other 5 mile runs on the same route and see what is average.  So if your hilly mile is usually +3 bpm over a not-as-hilly mile, then you know you're doing fine.  

Did this run make you tired?  Or were you getting tired from mile 3 to the end?  Cadence was within the margin of error (+/-3 spm).  I noticed your mile 1 split was the LOWEST, which for me is normal, but new for me to see this coming from you.  

IMO, you have to take topography into account for bpm.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:12 pm

nkrichards wrote:Well the Dam Run is in the books.

Ran this with Janice this morning.  Janice was disappointed that it was a short 10.   Laughing  Very small in-person event.  Janice said several times that I should run my race and not stay with her but it was on a remote country road and she was by far the slowest runner.  (I might have been able to hold on to the runners in front of us.)  I just didn't feel comfortable leaving her on her own so I stuck with her.  I used my cold as my excuse as I could tell she felt bad.  Anyway...she ran a fantastic race.  She has never run even close to that pace for that distance.  I had to push her hard the last couple miles to get us in under an 11:00 pace but she rose to the challenge.  We finished on the track and once I get her there I finished fast.  It was really a fun run.  

Pretty interesting run.  No water or fuel.  It was chilly so I didn't get thirsty but would have used water and fuel if available.  Pleased with my HR.  The averages are high because of the last couple faster miles and the fast finish but there was minimal HR drift for the bulk of the miles.

Per their social media posts...we put our dam shoes on and ran.   Running Running
DAM!!  That's a right impressive run for 145 bpm, especially since the last couple of miles were more exerted.  Good that you stuck with her.  I wouldn't have been so nice...I would've stopped until you ran on and left me.

Approval
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:32 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Well the Dam Run is in the books.

DAM!!  That's a right impressive run for 145 bpm, especially since the last couple of miles were more exerted.  Good that you stuck with her.  I wouldn't have been so nice...I would've stopped until you ran on and left me.

Approval
The Dam Run was a fun one.  I'm pleased with the outcome and very glad I decided to stick with Janice...but also curious how the run would have gone if I'd run it on my own.  With my cold being a factor it's probably best that I didn't run to hard.

So...lots of comments to reply to and I don't want to make this post to looooog.  Let's just say that playing with the HR vs pace has been fun.  I agree that incline is a HUGE factor.  I can see a definite improvement in HR as the same pace on the same 5 mile route over the course of the last few months and that's encouraging.  I still wonder if I'm running slow enough to get the benefits they (Hadd , Mafftone, and others) talk about...  I'm hoping that it's the rolling hills that keep my HR slightly higher and that I'm still in an appropriate range to make the desired adaptations.

Friday's run for comparison.  Switched to HR screen for last two miles.

Monday  Same route...kept the watch on HR screen entire run.  Run felt like an easy effort.
5 miles @ 11:37 HR 138/149 Cad 158

1. 11:16 HR 133/142 Cad 158
  2. 11:30 HR 140/146 Cad 159
  3. 11:32 HR 140/148 Cad 158
  4. 11:50 HR 140/148 Cad 158
  5. 11:53 HR 139/149 Cad 157

Tuesday Same route...put watch back on normal screen w/pace but checked HR occasionally.  I had done a leg workout in the morning and my legs were whining he entire time but the breathing felt pretty easy.
5 miles @ 11:16 HR 133/163 Cad 159

1. 11:18 HR 125/138 Cad 161
  2. 11:28 HR 134/163 Cad 161
  3. 11:24 HR 133/142 Cad 158
  4. 11:11 HR 136/146 Cad 158
  5. 11:01 HR 138/147 Cad 160

This makes absolutely no sense.  I think the one thing that is shows is that there are lots of outside influences and it's impossible to compare one run to the next.  I have no idea why the HR on the Tuesday run was so low.  It almost makes me wonder if the HR strap was functioning correctly.  There is a very odd spike during mile two.  I'll try to post the graph.  

Life is hectic.  We're back in the fields but only for a few days as snow is in the prediction so we're trying to work as may hours as possible.  Natalie headed to Florida this morning for a business trip and left all 5 kids home.   What a Face  Kevin is pretty good with them but needs to work some.  Her parents are helping a bit but I'm going to have to help as well. 

Ultreya... It's all about the base - Page 2 C4959f10
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:21 pm

Couple things from earlier posts that I forgot to respond to Doug.

• Thanks for the tip about discounted shoes...I did stock up on discounted Ravenna 10s as I didn't like the 11s.  I still have a couple 10s kicking around including one brand new pair.  I'm not sure what they have transitioned into Launch 8 GTS.  It's been a very long time since I've been fitted so it's probably a good idea.
  • RHR...it's been a couple points higher since I got the sniffles.  Normally around 48.  Around 50 or 51 the last few days.  I had a rough night last night and noticed that it was 60 this morning.   What a Face  Decided it was time for a rest day...after we did our strength workout of course.  Very Happy
  • In response to your question about whether or not I was feeling tired as my pace slowed during my 5 mile runs that I was using HR data rather than pace while running.  No...I wasn't feeling tired...I just slowed to try and keep my HR close to the goal of 140.

We're keeping up on our morning workouts.  Doing some of our old favorites this week and plan to start a new program next week.

Wednesday I got stuck in the tractor till 4:00 and barely had time to get my run in before dark.  Last day before the storm hit so I didn't want to miss it.  So I ran with Fast Freddy!

5 miles @ 10:18 HR 148/159 Cad 164

1. 10:50 HR 140/150 Cad 161
  2. 10:34 HR 146/153 Cad 164
  3. 10:05 HR 149/159 Cad 164
  4. 10:04 HR 153/158 Cad 165
  5.   9:52 HR 153/159 Cad 166

I'll take it!!  I was pooped afterward.

My cold seemed a bit worse last night.  And it snowed all day today.  It's a dry snow and we don't have much accumulation but it still seemed like a good day for a rest day from running.

Weather isn't conducive to running for a few days...and I'm helping Kevin with the boys while Natalie is out of town...and Marty and I have plans for the weekend.  I actually think a bit of a rest is in order.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:54 pm

My cold symptoms are on the increase.   What a Face  Woke up feeling pretty miserable Thursday morning...slight improvement today.

We have kept up with our morning strength workouts but no running since Wednesday.  We ended up with 5-6" of light fluffy snow with more predicted.  We didn't get as much as we had hoped...especially in the mountains.  And it's COLD!  11 degrees this morning...guess that's better than single digits.  If I felt better I would bundle up and put on my shoes with screws and run but I'm thinking that the fact my cold is hanging on and actually getting worse is an indication that I need to give it a rest.  Hopefully the indoor workouts we're doing will keep me from losing to much fitness.

Roads aren't safe so we cancelled a planned trip to the coast on Sunday/Monday.  I'm getting cabin fever.

We had the boys for dinner on Thursday...boy can they eat mashed potatoes.   Shocked  Natalie's parents took them last night but Kevin and the twins had dinner with us.  Natalie is scheduled to fly home on Sunday...hope her flights aren't delayed.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:46 pm

Cold seems a bit better this morning but I'm continuing to take Emergen-C.  It's a bit warmer but still not predicted to get above freezing today and it's overcast.  Chomping at the bit to get outside and run but I'm going to try and resist for one more day.

We did a stretching workout this morning and it was a deep stretch that got into some areas that I don't usually get into.  Shocked 

Cabin fever is intensifying...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:03 pm

Cabin fever got the better of me.  No I didn't run.  I sent a message to Luke Humphrey requesting coaching services.   What a Face Running Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:00 pm

Tuesday Up early for upper body burn.  It warmed up and the snow is melting but it's made for a sloppy mess around home and on the gravel road.  My cold is pretty much better as well.  I decided to drive to town to run even though Janice is out of town.  They plowed the multi-use trail that we often run on.  It was a gorgeous run.

5.5 miles @11:21 HR 144/158 Cadence 158

Pretty happy with that HR considering the elevation gain in the 2nd mile.  I was wondering how things would go after not running since last Wednesday.  Pleasantly surprised and pleased.  I think our morning workouts helped limit the loss of fitness.

Wednesday Started the day with core circuit.  Still sloppy here and I enjoyed my run on the Willow Creek multi-use trail yesterday so I headed back.  I did chose an option with less elevation change today.

5.5 miles @10:21 HR 151/172 Cadence 162

1. 10:59 HR 132/143 Cad 162
  2. 10:46 HR 145/151 Cad 162
  3. 10:29 HR 154/159 Cad 161
  4. 10:07 HR 158/163 Cad 161
  5.   9:45 HR 163/169 Cad 162
  6. @9:31 HR 166/172 Cad 162

Turned this into a progression run.  HR is high but pace was up so that was to be expected even though I avoided the hills a bit.  Nice cadence.

Just for conversations sake I'll mention that I was running on my own in an area outside of my normal "safe zone" where I have friends and neighbors watching out for me both yesterday and today.  I did run past the hospital and the clinic yesterday.   Wink  I told Marty where I was going and when I would be back.  He didn't seem concerned.  Maybe I can comfortably spread my wings a bit now that it's been nearly 6 years since my cardiac event.

Oh...I did contact Luke Humphrey Running.  Melissa is reviewing my training...  Shocked  What have I gotten myself into?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:48 pm

Thursday Started the day with Full Body Burn.  Busy morning and the time was slipping away.  I headed out to get in an easy run before the next storm hit.  To late... What a Face...sleet arrived early in the run.

4.0 @ 10:55 HR 144/157 Cad 159

I was short time and stressed.  The sleet didn't help.  Started out way to quickly.  The weather improved as I got into the run and I settled into a more appropriate pace but it was to late to rescue the HR.  Kept the run a bit shorter than planned.

Friday Power Ignite to start the day.  Janice and I planned a relatively early run as we both had conflicts starting at noon.  She invited Nailon.  I got to the park and prepared to take off but it was ICY and very slick.  I texted Janice to warn her and waited a few minutes.  It improved a bit.  I altered my route slightly to avoid the slick sidewalks and kept to the sanded edges of the road and headed cautiously up the hill.  By the time I navigated the hill and caught up with Janice and Nailon at the corner it was much better.  We planned on 8 miles which would be Nailon's longest run ever.

8.25 @ 11:51 HR 141/156 Cad 159

Very slow and slightly frustrating pace.  Nailon really struggled.  I snuck in a couple slightly quicker segments but stayed with the group most of the time.  I'm going to have to figure out how to make these group runs work for me.  That may just mean changing my attitude and running slow.

Showered and packed lunch and then Marty and I headed out to make a parts run.  7 1/2 hours later we were back home.  I was stiff and sore, exhausted and had an upset stomach.  I don't do well when I get out of my routine.

Saturday This morning did not help as we were up at 3:00am to take Kevin and family to the airport for a trip to Cabo.  We have fresh snow so I'm not sure what I'll do today.

Is it nap time?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:28 pm

Was feeling pretty miserable on Saturday after our long drive on Friday and a very short night sleep.  I finally drank a couple glasses of water and felt much better.  Headed out for an easy effort run on the Willow Creek Trail before a late lunch.

5.5 miles @11:23 HR 139/148 Cad 157

Pretty pleased with this run.  I was a bit tight at the start but felt much better after the run.  I did a much better job of keeping the pace/effort at an easy level.

Finished the day with a dynamic recovery workout (stretching).

Sunday was a family day.  We drove over the mountain to have tea and a muffin with my Mom and then picked up Marty's Mom and headed up to Ridgefield Washington to have lunch with Marty's aunt and uncle.  It was a nice day but I was exhausted by the time we returned home.  I've spent entirely to much time in the car the last few days!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:17 pm

I did it.  I jumped in with both feet and signed up for coaching services.    affraidbounce Running pale Running Sweaty  Running Dead  I'm excited but nervous.

Monday Lower Body Burn followed by a warmer but very windy run.

5.0 @ 10:54 HR 148/162 Cadence 158

I did not manage this run well at all.  Started way to quickly and the run affects were worst during the second half.  HR reflect that.

Tuesday Core Circuit and another windy run.

5.0 @ 11:41 HR 137/160 Cadence 157

Much better job of managing the effort today which is reflected in both pace and HR

Did I mention that I signed up for coaching services?  What have I gotten myself into? Shocked
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:23 pm

What have I gotten myself into?  I heard back from my coach, Melissa, with comments on my run before I got my shoes off.   Shocked  I can't get away with anything now that my Garmin Connect account is linked to Final Surge and she has access.  

Wednesday MBFA Upper Body Burn.  It was a gorgeous day so I decided to do an unplanned long run (I'm not on a training schedule yet.)  I even chose a new route with more hills than my usual route.

9.0 @ 11:23 HR 143/164 Cad 158

I was very pleased with this run.  Not super fast but well paced.  It was a mental challenge...hills.

Thursday MBFA Core Circuit.  Janice and I had planned a longer run on the road overlooking Lake Billy Chinook.  I was a bit nervous after my long run yesterday.  But it was windy and Janice had new orthotics so we decided to just do 6.2.  At the turn around Janice admitted that she was starting to feel a blister.  At mile 4.34 we walked a bit and she decided I should run ahead and bring the car back. So...

4.34 @ 11:44 HR 140/153 Cad 158
1.4   @ 10:50 HR 150/156 Cad 161

Janice's foot did not look good.  The red spot was huge!  Fortunately it hadn't filled with fluid yet and she got it elevated and iced quickly.  It's feeling/looking a bit better today and she's been in contact with the podiatrist.

So this coaching thing...  So far Melissa has just commented on my longer run on Wednesday.  She posted an easy run for me on Friday just so I could see how the coaching was going to work.  We had a long conversation on the phone yesterday after my run.  We talked about some of my concerns and more about my long term goals.  I'm almost afraid to admit out loud that my long term goal is to run another BQ marathon.  She was very encouraging...I guess that's what coaches are supposed to do.  She actually mentioned that I had done a good job building my base in 2020.  The plan is to ease into a more strict training plan.  The first segment will concentrate on building my speed with a 5K or preferably a 10K in June/July if we can find a good in person local race.  We'll then spend a few weeks concentrating on preparing for the Bridge of the Gods Half on August 15th (race that Janice and I were registered for in 2020).  At that point we'll either chose a late fall goal half or marathon depending on how I'm feeling.

Here we go...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:26 pm

What have I gotten myself into?  I heard back from my coach, Melissa, with comments on my run before I got my shoes off.   Shocked  I can't get away with anything now that my Garmin Connect account is linked to Final Surge and she has access.  

Wednesday MBFA Upper Body Burn.  It was a gorgeous day so I decided to do an unplanned long run (I'm not on a training schedule yet.)  I even chose a new route with more hills than my usual route.

I was very pleased with this run.  Not super fast but well paced.  It was a mental challenge...hills.

Thursday MBFA Core Circuit.  Janice and I had planned a longer run on the road overlooking Lake Billy Chinook.  I was a bit nervous after my long run yesterday.  But it was windy and Janice had new orthotics so we decided to just do 6.2.  At the turn around Janice admitted that she was starting to feel a blister.  At mile 4.34 we walked a bit and she decided I should run ahead and bring the car back. So...

Janice's foot did not look good.  The red spot was huge!  Fortunately it hadn't filled with fluid yet and she got it elevated and iced quickly.  It's feeling/looking a bit better today and she's been in contact with the podiatrist.

So this coaching thing...  So far Melissa has just commented on my longer run on Wednesday.  She posted an easy run for me on Friday just so I could see how the coaching was going to work.  We had a long conversation on the phone yesterday after my run.  We talked about some of my concerns and more about my long term goals.  I'm almost afraid to admit out loud that my long term goal is to run another BQ marathon.  She was very encouraging...I guess that's what coaches are supposed to do.  She actually mentioned that I had done a good job building my base in 2020.  The plan is to ease into a more strict training plan.  The first segment will concentrate on building my speed with a 5K or preferably a 10K in June/July if we can find a good in person local race.  We'll then spend a few weeks concentrating on preparing for the Bridge of the Gods Half on August 15th (race that Janice and I were registered for in 2020).  At that point we'll either chose a late fall goal half or marathon depending on how I'm feeling.

Here we go...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:26 pm

So this coaching thing...  So far Melissa has commented on my longer run on Wednesday and she posted an easy run for me on Friday just so I could see how the coaching was going to work.  We had a long conversation on the phone yesterday after my run.  We talked about some of my concerns and more about my long term goals.  I'm almost afraid to admit out loud that my long term goal is to run another BQ marathon.  She was very encouraging...I guess that's what coaches are supposed to do.  She actually mentioned that I had done a good job building my base in 2020.  The plan is to ease into a more strict training plan.  The first segment will concentrate on building my speed with a 5K or preferably a 10K in June/July if we can find a good in person local race.  We'll then spend a few weeks concentrating on preparing for the Bridge of the Gods Half on August 15th (race that Janice and I were registered for in 2020).  At that point we'll either chose a late fall goal half or marathon depending on how I'm feeling.

Here we go...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:43 pm

Friday MBFA Full Body Burn and a rest day from running.  

Saturday MBFA Power Ignite.  A 5 mile easy run was on the plan but I ran into Janice and Nailon at the park so we finished our runs together.  It turned into a 7 mile run but I did keep it at an easy pace.

7 miles @ 11:56 HR 142/154 Cad 158

I was afraid coach Melissa would scold me but her comment was "Bonus miles.  Awesome Pace."   Laughing

Sunday MBFA Dynamic Recovery  Worked on our taxes as farmers have to file by March 1st.  Marty and I loaded up the horse and mule and headed out for a ride after lunch.  The trail Marty chose had more snow...and ice...than he expected and it turned out to be a pretty short ride.  But it was still a nice afternoon.

Monday MBFA Lower Body Burn  5 mile easy run was planned.  Today was hectic!  I was short time.  I was distracted.  We all know what happens in that situation.  Yup started out to fast and my HR soared.  I thought about the need to start easy but as usual couldn't deliver.  

5 miles @ 11:38 HR 145/160 Cad 158

I mentioned to Melissa that is often a problem for me.  No scolding...just a reminder that I need to ease into the first couple miles and that easy runs should be...easy.  

Hoping I can settle down tomorrow and complete my assigned 6 miles at the recommended easy pace...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:42 pm

nkrichards wrote:Cabin fever got the better of me.  No I didn't run.  I sent a message to Luke Humphrey requesting coaching services.   What a Face Running Running
Haha!  That'll teach that cabin fever to mess with YOU!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:59 pm

So what DID you tell Melissa that your goals were?  I'd go ahead and tell her about Boston.  I'm sure she's still trying to figure out what kind of Energizer Bunny she has as a new client. 

Did Janice adequately get her orthotics adjusted?  I guess the orthotic is hinged at the ankle?  

I will go back and check out the splits, but I wanted to at least let you know that you're not just typing to pad your Post count.  I did notice a double posting on one of them. Shocked

Glad that you finally shook that cold.

Oh, I have a climate and plumbing question for you.  How do y'all insulate the water pipes from freezing and what material are the water pipes made out of?  Lots of copper and PCV is making way for PEX and another kind.  If I was building a home or similar, I'd insulate it as if I was living in South Dakota.  I kinda feel we will have a couple more Winter Storms like we had attack on Valentines Day, before I croak.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next