365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Base, Base, Base...Tempos and Long Runs

3 posters

Go down

Base, Base, Base...Tempos and Long Runs Empty Base, Base, Base...Tempos and Long Runs

Post  Ben Z Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:30 pm

To me this is what most of training should boil down to while keeping your risk of injury low. Strides/hill sprints, core strengthening and proper recovery as well.

I really liked Jimmy Grabow's response to the RT interview this week. Jimmy is the guy who just debuted in the marathon running 2:12. He was basically an unknown before the Trials. Oh yeah, he also works a 40 hour/week job.

From the interview:

RT: What did your marathon build-up look like?

JG: When I was gearing up for the marathon, there was really no need to do any intervals. Most of my training was just tempo and long runs. I did a couple of 28-mile runs during my build-up, and those were long. I’ve always run my mileage at a pretty quick pace, usually at sub-6:00 pace. I’ve really worked on trying to get my proper recovery right and really take care of my body. I get more sleep, eat a better diet, take more vitamins, do more core work. Stuff like that.

RT: What kind of mileage did you run over the last few months?

JG: We did a lot of weeks at 120-130 or so. This past fall I ran a couple of races as workouts, but nothing spectacular. Those were just to break off the rust and break off the monotony of training. We had a down week every four weeks or so, dropping it back down to 80, just to make sure I was getting enough recovery and to make sure I wasn’t running myself to death. We would do our long run and a tempo run as workouts every week.

Link to the full interview: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=25090&cm_mmc=Twitter-_-RT-_-Content-Runners-_-Grabow&PageNum=1
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Base, Base, Base...Tempos and Long Runs Empty Re: Base, Base, Base...Tempos and Long Runs

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:41 pm

I agree with your summary, Ben. Granted I'm still in my infancy of endurance training and still have a lot of base to develop before I plateau, that sounds exactly like my last full training cycle, which I consider to be extremely successful.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Base, Base, Base...Tempos and Long Runs Empty Re: Base, Base, Base...Tempos and Long Runs

Post  Diego Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:26 pm

If he had thrown in 5-7 miles of VO2 max stuff or >V02max each week, I bet he could have run sub 2:10 because tempo runs and mileage alone do not push your lactate threshold high enough.

Maybe he did cruise intervals at 3k-5k pace and strides?
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down