365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sliding toward my goals...

5 posters

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Sliding toward my goals... - Page 13 Empty Re: Sliding toward my goals...

Post  ounce Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:48 pm

I'll get to you.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:56 pm

Struggling to find time to post.  Mom spent a couple days with us.  We currently have the three boys and are helping Emma with the twins.  She is watching them at their home.  It's a team effort to allow Kevin and Natalie some time together without kids.  Natalie was pretty disappointed when a trip that she had earned through Beachbody was cancelled due to COVID.

Marty and I have done well with our Liift4 workouts this week.  We had to change around the days but got our workouts in on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.  Love this program but it's challenging!

Running:

• Monday I made it home from my errands in time to run but the grandkids arrived before I could get dressed and out the door.  It was to close to dusk when they went home.
  • Tuesday 7 miles @ 11:51 HR 146/161 Cadence 157 SL .86  Ran with Janice.  She struggled a bit but I still enjoy my runs with her.
  • Wednesday 5 miles @ 11:05 HR 143/157 Cad 162 SL .92
  • Thursday 5 miles @ 9:55 HR 151/167 Cad 163 SL .99
  • Friday 3 miles @ 12:06 HR 144/160 Cad 158 SL .84

Struggling to slow down and run at the pace that I need to for continued base training.  That said I was pretty pleased that I was able to pull off 5 miles at under a 10 minute pace on Thursday.  It did take a lot out of me though...and then the Friday Liift4 workout was legs.  My Friday run as definitely a recovery effort and my HR reflects the need to slow down and be cautious.

No training today.  If the boys go home early enough I may try to fit in another recovery effort run on Sunday and also a stretching workout.  But I'm not going to worry if it ends up being another rest day.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:50 pm

I was able to get a run in after the boys headed home today.

3 miles @ 11:48 HR 139/152 Cad 161 SL .85
Much better recovery effort run than my attempt on Friday.  HR is still a bit high for a run that short at that pace but it is what it is.

Finished the evening with a deep stretching workout.

I'm finding the holiday season quite stressful.  Not sure how much the holidays are to blame and how much of it is just life.  Nothing terrible but I'm feeling stressed and my HR reflects that.  I know there is a problem and I know how I want to feel but I just don't.  Running helps.

I did enjoy the time we spent with family this weekend.  We had the three boys from Friday lunch until Sunday lunch.  We went out in the forest to cut our Christmas tree and stopped on the way home for cocoa and cookies.  The boys filled the wood room for me and worked on a woodworking project in the shop that Marty is helping the kids with for Christmas.  We watched Christmas movies and decorated the tree.  I helped Emma with the twins for a bit each morning so she could have a break.  Gary and the girls came down this morning to help make our traditional Christmas swags.  Marty and I will spend time with our Mom's on Tuesday as we deliver them to family graves.  

I/we have a lot to be thankful for.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:56 pm

nkrichards wrote:Turkey Trot 5K in the books.

3.1 @ 9:00 27:56 HR 159/174 Cadence 166 SL 1.08 Elevation gain 134/loss 134

1. 8:50 HR 152/164 Cad 166 SL 1.09 Elevation gain 26/loss 68
  2. 9:08 HR 159/162 Cad 166 SL 1.06 Elevation gain 45/loss 52
  3. 9:03 HR 166/172 Cad 167 SL 1.07 Elevation gain 59/loss 13
  4. @8:26 HR 168/174 Cad 168 SL 1.08 Elevation gain 3/loss 0

Natalie has been leading a group through a running program.  There were 400 people signed up throughout the country.  You do a workout indoors and also a short run while listening to the coach.  The longest run was only 20 minutes and I don't run with ear phones so I didn't sign up.  Natalie invited me this morning anyway.  We (there were 6 locals that weren't busy this morning) met at the park at 8:00.  It was 30 degrees and the trail was frosty...we were nervous it might be slippery.  Everyone was hesitant and embarrassed to start so I finally took off. Natalie and Brandie were right behind.  They passed me at about the half mile mark.  Natalie gradually pulled ahead and Brandie stayed between us.  I'll admit that I was very discouraged that they both finished faster than I did.  Natalie had talked all morning about the fact that I was a runner and would beat them all.  But they are both in their late 30s and have been runners off and on.

When I got home I dug out the stats from my virtual 5K on July 26th

3.1 @ 8:54 27:46 HR 159/174 Cadence 164 SL 1.10 Elevation gain 98/loss128

1. 8:54 HR 150/162 Cad 164 SL 1.10 Net downhill
  2. 9:02 HR 160/165 Cad 164 SL 1.09
  3. 8:51 HR 166/169 Cad 165 SL 1.10
  4. @8:26 HR 171/169 

I wasn't able to pull up the elevation for the individual splits and the cadence and SL for the finish were messed up but the data is still useful.  

So...yes, I was slightly slower today but boy not much and the course today was more difficult...and potentially slippery.  I have to remind myself that in July I had been doing some faster interval training and I have only been doing slower running...and not as many total miles...the past few weeks.  So I am going to take pride in my run today!  Running Running Running cheers

I'll add a bit to my very short discussion on my RHR and stress reduction(??).  

As I mentioned my weekly average RHR is right in there at 47-48.  Occasionally 49.  It does pop up to the low 50's for just one day at times.  Sometimes I can figure out why but not always.  The way my watch calculates it is confusing.  It doesn't look at my HR while sleeping...which is lower.  It tries to pull out the rate "when you are awake, relaxed, and resting."

Stress...where do I begin.  The stress level that my watch records hasn't been particularly useful.  It uses a metric called Heart Rate Variability to measure stress throughout the day and then displays the average.  It's been in the range Garmin considers low.  It is higher when I exercise but the theory is that the resting HRV improves so that is an overall benefit.  Kind of like training at a higher HR to reduce your RHR I guess.

I'll be honest here...I'm still struggling to control the stresses in my life.  Some days I do pretty well.  Other days not so much.  And it does make me nervous...which doesn't help.  I'm trying not to let things bother me...I'm not very good at that...

Off to eat turkey with both families...don't tell Kate Brown...there will be 14 of us.  Shocked   Just Kevin's family alone is over the 6 person limit.  We see all of them every day so it makes no sense to stay home today...
I agree on the comparison of the 2 5K's.  Shall we say you retained the interval training from way back in July?  Yes, I think we shall.  Good effort on the effort and on not falling down.  Seems like Natalie was getting all to watch you, while she skeedaddled!  Suspect

I don't have any comment on the stresses because I have mine and you have yours, which we handle to varying degrees.

I told the governor, today.  Good thing she didn't care.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:14 pm

nkrichards wrote:I decided that I'd just walk down and get the paper after lunch on Saturday.  It's a mile round trip.  I was still pretty tired but wanted/needed to move a bit.  I got busy and it got dark and cold so I didn't make it...

Sunday was COLD but sunny and calm.  It looked gorgeous out there.  Marty was off riding mules with his hunting buddies so my schedule was pretty open till lunch.  I waited as long as I could and then dressed warm and headed out.  The goal was to keep the pace slow enough to get the miles in without overdoing it...I still needed to recover a bit from a tough week.  I needed Janice for a pacer but she was out of town.

7 miles @ 11:50 HR 146/158 Cadence 157 SL .86
Happy with the effort and the results.  It was a gorgeous day.  I had a view of the mountains.  The sun was shining.  It wasn't windy.  This run was nothing special when you look at the stats but it was a run that reminded me why I love running.

Marty and I were up early for Liift4 Chest and Triceps this morning.  It was a tough one.  These Liift4 workouts are definitely hard enough that they are affecting my ability to run long/hard but that's OK during this time in my training...and I could choose lighter weights if I wasn't so stubborn.  It's windy and nasty outside this morning and I have a Zoom call in a bit.  Maybe a very short recovery type run this afternoon if it works.

And life goes on...
Looks like classic cardiac creep, comparing Saturday's 3 against this day's 7. 

Good luck on your program...I'd probably pick heavier, too.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:58 pm

Thanks for the input Doug.  I appreciate the time.  There is benefit in just writing in my blog but another view helps.

Very hectic day!

Liift4 Chest and Triceps this morning.  Wasn't sure I was going to find time for a run but I did.

5 miles @ 11:42 HR 140/157 Cad 162 SL .85
It was sunny when I drove home from the bank but by the time I got my run clothes on and headed down the road the fog was starting to move in.  Marty called about the time I turned around to make sure I was OK.  I still had a decent amount of visibility but it was pretty well gone by the time I made it home.  I think he was pretty worried. Ooops.  Not a bad run.

We're heading over the mountain in the morning to spend the day delivering swags with our Mom.  We plan to split up and go our separate ways so we can get home before it gets to late.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:33 am

nkrichards wrote:Thanks for the input Doug.  I appreciate the time.  There is benefit in just writing in my blog but another view helps.

Very hectic day!

Liift4 Chest and Triceps this morning.  Wasn't sure I was going to find time for a run but I did.

It was sunny when I drove home from the bank but by the time I got my run clothes on and headed down the road the fog was starting to move in.  Marty called about the time I turned around to make sure I was OK.  I still had a decent amount of visibility but it was pretty well gone by the time I made it home.  I think he was pretty worried. Ooops.  Not a bad run.

We're heading over the mountain in the morning to spend the day delivering swags with our Mom.  We plan to split up and go our separate ways so we can get home before it gets to late.

Having fog sweep in or develop during the middle of a run is one of the cooler/freakier things I've experienced. One minute, it's fine, the next minute .... *poof!* ... where'd everything go? Looks like a good run, though.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:20 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Thanks for the input Doug.  I appreciate the time.  There is benefit in just writing in my blog but another view helps.

Very hectic day!

Having fog sweep in or develop during the middle of a run is one of the cooler/freakier things I've experienced. One minute, it's fine, the next minute .... *poof!* ... where'd everything go? Looks like a good run, though.
It actually was a really fun run...except for the fact that I caused Marty to worry.  Had it been on a trail it would have been really awesome.  It was just on the roads that I walk out the door and run on so I had to really be cautious when a vehicle approached.  I just slowed and stepped to the side a bit further than normal until I was sure they saw me.  The fun part was that I saw several of the regulars...mostly walkers...during the run.  We chuckled about the sun disappearing so quickly.  I have a wonderful neighborhood full of individuals who are friendly and that I would totally trust to contact help if I "went splat on the pavement" as Doug would say.  

Marty and I got up REALLY early yesterday so that we could get our Liift4 workout in.  Back and Biceps with very challenging set of hiit to finish up the workout.

The drive over the mountain was really good considering that it's mid-December.  We split up as planned and visited with our Moms while delivering the swags.  I helped Mom with some banking and we had time to grab a take out burger at her favorite place...childhood memories of Deas Burgers.  And we even drove to the west side of Portland and stopped for a quick visit with Katie.  It was a very long but good day.

Weather is not great today and I am absolutely swamped with chores.  Today is a scheduled Liift4 rest day.  We'll see if I can squeeze a run in...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:53 pm

I definitely did NOT have time to run today.  But I ran anyway.  I figured that I spent all day yesterday doing family stuff and that I deserved one hour today for myself.  I still got a lot of my farm office work caught up...not completely but I made good progress.  The family can just accept it if my holiday preparations aren't perfect and/or slightly late.  

5 miles @ 10:55 HR 146/160 Cad 161 SL .92
I was slightly stressed when I took off.  HR actually isn't to bad considering the pace.  I just struggle to slow down and run easy when I'm busy.  Still not a terrible result and it's miles which is the goal this winter.

So Doug...it appears that James Tucker has proven that he can run at a very high cadence and maintain a low HR.  I did laugh when he admitted that he was still on Metoprolol though.   Laughing  That's cheating!  186 is an impressive cadence that's for sure.  And he maintained that average for 13.1 miles.  Shocked  I'm now at the point where running at 160-162 cadence is very doable.  I do sometimes lose concentration and realize that I'm starting to fall off the pier but I'm usually able to climb back on.  
The question now is...

• Should I just continue to run at 160-162 and work on getting my HR down a bit lower?
  • Should I dig out the gnome and crank it up and see if I can get into the high 160s?

My goal this winter is to maintain/improve my base and be prepared to run more miles next spring...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:51 am

Pardon me for scanning your posts, but I was looking for 3 things that you wrote about, this month.

1.  did you call the sheriff on the dog?
2.  Anything to report on Emma's appt in Portland?
3.  Is Abby out of the dog house?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:43 pm

nkrichards wrote:Between my Zoom call and technical difficulties when trying to do payroll on Monday I didn't make it out for my recovery run.  Oh well.

Tuesday  Liift4 Back and Biceps including a Hiit segment towards the end.
5 miles @ 11:05 HR 153/166 Cad 160 SL .91
I was determined to get a run in on Tuesday.  It was COLD and I had an appointment so had to run in the morning.  I dressed well.  It was sunny and calm.  I ran into a couple frosty sections where the sun hadn't hit the road yet.  It was actually a perfect day for a run...until a dog ran across the road and bit me!  Shocked  Ran behind me and nailed my left hamstring.  Fortunately I had my long pants on so it didn't break the skin.  The owner was apologetic.  I should have taken a photo of the dogs, the owner, and all the cars that stopped (dogs were still in the middle of the road) but I was flustered and already late for my appointment.  Once the adrenaline wore off it started to hurt a bit more.  It did leave a mark but didn't break the skin.  I should...and may still...contact the sheriff office and let the dog control person know.  It might help if he had a talk with the owner and checked on the status of the dogs rabies shots.  Marty says I should carry pepper spray but I hate that idea..takes the fun out of running.  And I'm not sure I could get it out and ready to spray in time to do any good anyway.

Back to the run...it was faster than it should have been and the HR was higher than expected (before the dog bit) even when you take the faster pace into consideration.  I need to take a deep breath and try to slow down.

Today was a Liift4 rest day.  It's miserable looking outside...freezing fog.  Hopefully I'll get a run in this afternoon.
That dog certainly added some spice to your entry!  Being a city boy, I probably would've done a lot of cussing and attorney threatening.  I don't know if your thought is..."but I have to LIVE with these people, Doug!!"  I don't know if it'd be worth you and Marty going over to the man's house and have a calm discussion about a certain ass whoopin' that would occur, should it occur again.  Maybe a folding police baton or some aroma intensive dog treats.  Something to get the nose's attention.  Just might make a new friend.

By the way, what are you doing runnin' so durn fast?!?!? Wink 

Everybody loves it when payroll comes out on time.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:48 pm

nkrichards wrote:Well this in interesting...

I'll re-post Tuesday's stats as they are part of the analysis

Tues 5 miles @11:05 HR 153/166 Cad 160 SL .91 (dog bite in mile 4)

Wed 5 miles @11:23 HR 146/160 Cad 159 SL .89

Thur 5 miles @11:39 HR 140/157 Cad 160 SL .87

I mentioned earlier that during my Tuesday run...even before the dog bite...my HR was higher than I expected.  Partially explained by the pace but higher than normal even for that pace.

I slowed a bit on Wednesday and the HR responded as expected but was still a bit high for that pace.

I've been sitting around working in the office in the mornings due to the freezing temperatures and as a result have been drinking more coffee.  I wondered if that may be part of the cause so I just had my usual amount of coffee on Thursday.  The HR was better.  Unfortunately I also slowed my pace even more so I'm not sure if it was the caffeine or the pace affecting my HR...or both.  

Interesting but not really alarming.

Marty and I are on track with our Liift4 program.  Wednesday was a rest day.  Thursday was shoulders and this morning was leg day but it was Hiit with no weights.  

I occasionally have trouble with vertigo and it's been acting up this week.  I make sure I don't do things like flip turns in the pool because I know that will cause it to act up.  Not sure what the cause is/was this time.  It hasn't been a problem when I run but it's affected my ability to do the Liift4 workouts especially this morning.  The level changes set it off and the room starts to spin.  I was able to slow down and modify the moves.  I got the leg work in but it wasn't as cardio as it should have been.  Hopefully it will resolve itself in a few days.

I got a book called "The Lazy Man's Guide to (ultra) Marathon Running" by Professor Sky Pelletier Waterpeace.  It was a gag gift but it is actually kind of interesting.  I'm not at all interested in his Easy Does It method of training but he does have some really interesting stuff in there about the Keto diet and some supplements that he recommends.  Unregulated supplements make me nervous so I'm not considering trying spirulina but he recommends dark chocolate daily and I can get on board with that.  Wink  It's a fun read and I may be able to pick out a few ideas that I'm interested in trying.

Freezing fog again this morning...
So, I went back in your blog to the weekend before Thanksgiving to see if the 3 you copied make any sense to the 4 before your 3.

Thursday Up early for a lower body workout.
7 miles @ 12:09 HR 148/159 Cadence 158 SL .84 
Friday Cardio workout this morning.
5 miles @ 11:23 HR 140/166 Cadence 160 SL .89
Saturday Unilateral Strength.  Natalie started a plank challenge this week.  Sliding toward my goals... - Page 13 Fresse
5 miles @ 11:43 133/150 Cadence 158 SL .87
Sunday Stretching workout today...and plank challenge.
3 miles @ 10:58 HR 149/164 Cadence 164 SL
Monday Nov 23
5 miles @ 10:50 HR 144/160 Cadence 161 SL 

You could be on to something regarding the coffee.  What about the cold?  Do you have runs where the coffee is normal, but it's cold and could the heart increase its rate to get the body warm?  Additionally, do the individual splits or the graph shows a HR spike, sooner, in the first mile then it plateaus for the rest of the run?

Maybe, Nancy, (now don't get spooked) stress?  I am working my way through your blog, so maybe runs in the past couple of weeks have settled down regarding HR.  Don't stress.  Be an auditor and audit yourself.  I have another idea, but will hold back until I get current on your blog.

There IS evidence that you're right on the increase in HR on these 3 most recent runs.  I would review the Liift workouts you did on each of the 7 runs, the type, and exertion.  I saw where you're doing a Monday workout with X, Tuesday is Y, etc.  Maybe a tweaking of the runs for a Liift day of a particular type.  Maybe cap your HR, regardless of pace.  Maybe lighten the weights, one day, and run without the cap.  Maybe cap one week and Liift 100%, then reverse the following week.

'Maybe' seems to be a dominant word in this post. scratch
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:32 pm

ounce wrote:Pardon me for scanning your posts, but I was looking for 3 things that you wrote about, this month.

1.  did you call the sheriff on the dog?
2.  Anything to report on Emma's appt in Portland?
3.  Is Abby out of the dog house?
Figured I better respond to each of your posts individually so I didn't end up with something to lengthy and have it disappear into thin air.

1.  I did not call the sheriff.  I should have done it right then but I didn't have time and it didn't seem right later on.  No...we are not going to confront the owners ourselves...that's the sheriff's job.  All the sheriff would do is remind them of their responsibility unless I can provide a photo or witness that will confirm that the dog was on public property and not under control.  On Marty's advice...actually was more like insistence...I carried my pepper spray for several days but the dogs never came out or even barked. 
  2. Emma had her surgery just before Thanksgiving.  They cut out the bone growth and shaved the bone to make sure they got it all.  They still insist it isn't cancer but are baffled that it keeps growing back.  They thought that when they zapped it in Bend several months ago that it was done and gone but nope.   So they/we are hopeful that this takes care of it.  I got an update from Emma yesterday...a photo.  It's broken.  They told her there was a high risk of breaking as it healed and sure enough.  It isn't a full break...more like a crack and splinter.  She is back in a boot.  Poor kid.  Funny story.  Emma does not do well when she comes out of anesthetic.  They often have to put her back under and let her come out very slowly.  Shannon warned the doctors at OHSU in Portland and they said "no problem, we deal with this all the time with PTSD patients".  I guess they have a special cocktail that they give them and it worked well for Emma.  Now we know.
  3. Abby is still in the dog house.  She did get her phone back and is pretty much doing everything like normal but she is not allowed to stay home alone...or with her sisters.  She has to have an adult there.  And she has started counseling.  We still don't know what she did but it must have been pretty serious.

Next post...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:35 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Between my Zoom call and technical difficulties when trying to do payroll on Monday I didn't make it out for my recovery run.  Oh well.

Tuesday  Liift4 Back and Biceps including a Hiit segment towards the end.
5 miles @ 11:05 HR 153/166 Cad 160 SL .91
I was determined to get a run in on Tuesday.  It was COLD and I had an appointment so had to run in the morning.  I dressed well.  It was sunny and calm.  I ran into a couple frosty sections where the sun hadn't hit the road yet.  It was actually a perfect day for a run...until a dog ran across the road and bit me!  Shocked  Ran behind me and nailed my left hamstring.  Fortunately I had my long pants on so it didn't break the skin.  The owner was apologetic.  I should have taken a photo of the dogs, the owner, and all the cars that stopped (dogs were still in the middle of the road) but I was flustered and already late for my appointment.  Once the adrenaline wore off it started to hurt a bit more.  It did leave a mark but didn't break the skin.  I should...and may still...contact the sheriff office and let the dog control person know.  It might help if he had a talk with the owner and checked on the status of the dogs rabies shots.  Marty says I should carry pepper spray but I hate that idea..takes the fun out of running.  And I'm not sure I could get it out and ready to spray in time to do any good anyway.

Back to the run...it was faster than it should have been and the HR was higher than expected (before the dog bit) even when you take the faster pace into consideration.  I need to take a deep breath and try to slow down.

Today was a Liift4 rest day.  It's miserable looking outside...freezing fog.  Hopefully I'll get a run in this afternoon.
That dog certainly added some spice to your entry!  Being a city boy, I probably would've done a lot of cussing and attorney threatening.  I don't know if your thought is..."but I have to LIVE with these people, Doug!!"  I don't know if it'd be worth you and Marty going over to the man's house and have a calm discussion about a certain ass whoopin' that would occur, should it occur again.  Maybe a folding police baton or some aroma intensive dog treats.  Something to get the nose's attention.  Just might make a new friend.

By the way, what are you doing runnin' so durn fast?!?!? Wink 

Everybody loves it when payroll comes out on time.
I answered the dog questions in the previous post.

I don't have an answer for your pace question other than to say it's not in the plan.  I am supposed to be learning to complete low HR runs and fast running does not accomplish that goal.   Shocked

Yes, payroll is one of my more important jobs and the crew does appreciate it when it's done timely.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:46 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Well this in interesting...

I mentioned earlier that during my Tuesday run...even before the dog bite...my HR was higher than I expected.  Partially explained by the pace but higher than normal even for that pace.

I slowed a bit on Wednesday and the HR responded as expected but was still a bit high for that pace.

I've been sitting around working in the office in the mornings due to the freezing temperatures and as a result have been drinking more coffee.  I wondered if that may be part of the cause so I just had my usual amount of coffee on Thursday.  The HR was better.  Unfortunately I also slowed my pace even more so I'm not sure if it was the caffeine or the pace affecting my HR...or both.  

Interesting but not really alarming.

Marty and I are on track with our Liift4 program.  Wednesday was a rest day.  Thursday was shoulders and this morning was leg day but it was Hiit with no weights.  

I occasionally have trouble with vertigo and it's been acting up this week.  I make sure I don't do things like flip turns in the pool because I know that will cause it to act up.  Not sure what the cause is/was this time.  It hasn't been a problem when I run but it's affected my ability to do the Liift4 workouts especially this morning.  The level changes set it off and the room starts to spin.  I was able to slow down and modify the moves.  I got the leg work in but it wasn't as cardio as it should have been.  Hopefully it will resolve itself in a few days.

I got a book called "The Lazy Man's Guide to (ultra) Marathon Running" by Professor Sky Pelletier Waterpeace.  It was a gag gift but it is actually kind of interesting.  I'm not at all interested in his Easy Does It method of training but he does have some really interesting stuff in there about the Keto diet and some supplements that he recommends.  Unregulated supplements make me nervous so I'm not considering trying spirulina but he recommends dark chocolate daily and I can get on board with that.  Wink  It's a fun read and I may be able to pick out a few ideas that I'm interested in trying.

Freezing fog again this morning...
So, I went back in your blog to the weekend before Thanksgiving to see if the 3 you copied make any sense to the 4 before your 3.

Thursday Up early for a lower body workout.
7 miles @ 12:09 HR 148/159 Cadence 158 SL .84 
Friday Cardio workout this morning.
5 miles @ 11:23 HR 140/166 Cadence 160 SL .89
Saturday Unilateral Strength.  Natalie started a plank challenge this week.  Sliding toward my goals... - Page 13 Fresse
5 miles @ 11:43 133/150 Cadence 158 SL .87
Sunday Stretching workout today...and plank challenge.
3 miles @ 10:58 HR 149/164 Cadence 164 SL
Monday Nov 23
5 miles @ 10:50 HR 144/160 Cadence 161 SL 

You could be on to something regarding the coffee.  What about the cold?  Do you have runs where the coffee is normal, but it's cold and could the heart increase its rate to get the body warm?  Additionally, do the individual splits or the graph shows a HR spike, sooner, in the first mile then it plateaus for the rest of the run?

Maybe, Nancy, (now don't get spooked) stress?  I am working my way through your blog, so maybe runs in the past couple of weeks have settled down regarding HR.  Don't stress.  Be an auditor and audit yourself.  I have another idea, but will hold back until I get current on your blog.

There IS evidence that you're right on the increase in HR on these 3 most recent runs.  I would review the Liift workouts you did on each of the 7 runs, the type, and exertion.  I saw where you're doing a Monday workout with X, Tuesday is Y, etc.  Maybe a tweaking of the runs for a Liift day of a particular type.  Maybe cap your HR, regardless of pace.  Maybe lighten the weights, one day, and run without the cap.  Maybe cap one week and Liift 100%, then reverse the following week.

'Maybe' seems to be a dominant word in this post. scratch
This is a tough post to address as I just don't know.  I am sure that stress is a factor.  I'm trying to deal with the causes but it's tough.  I don't want to make worrying about stress an additional stressor.

But I don't think stress is the only cause.  

• I have been struggling to complete true easy effort recovery type runs.  I have noticed that when I'm in a hurry for whatever reason or when I'm up on jiggle about something totally unrelated to running I tend to start out to quickly and struggle to slow down.
  • And I've been struggling to dress appropriately.  If I dress to warm...or not warm enough...I do think it affects my HR as my body tries to either cool itself or stay warm.  The weather has been so variable that it's been tough to figure out what to wear.
  • I do think that my Liift4 workouts may be affecting my runs but other than curiosity I don't really care.  This time of year I think the Liift4 workouts are as valuable as my runs so I want to put forth a good effort even if they do affect my runs.
  • There is some HR drift in there.  And also the occasional HR spike early in the run but not in every run.
  • I do think that the additional caffeine does have an affect.

I'm not overly concerned and not sure that I could figure out the actual cause in each individual run.  It's more curiosity than anything else.  And the fact that I'm trying to make an effort to learn to run at a lower HR.  I'm not going to stress over it!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:00 pm

Now for the post of my run today.

Liift4 Shoulders today with some Hiit mixed in.

I waited till after lunch to run when the wind was projected to die down a bit.

5 miles @ 10:29 HR 144/162 Cad 164 SL .93
Well look at that!  I decided to concentrate on cadence today and not worry about HR.  As expected the pace and HR was a bit high but the HR was appropriate for the pace.  I am pleased with the cadence.  I maintained 164 in each and every mile!  But I did have to concentrate.

Okay...this is interesting.  My Garmin tracks Ground Contact Time Balance  Every single run I've done since I started looking at that stat in March has shown that I spend a larger percentage of time on my right foot.  It averages about 49(left)-51(right).  That is until yesterday.  It registered 50.3-49.7.  I figured it was a fluke.  Then today it registered 50.0-50.0.  I have not changed anything that I am aware of.  It's not a bad thing...it's actually a good thing...but boy am I curious.  I will say that my Mom often commented as I was growing up that I had a tendency to "flip" my left foot when I walked.  And the PT noticed once that my left and right side are definitely not symmetrical.  

More questions...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:40 pm

Okay...this is interesting.  My Garmin tracks Ground Contact Time Balance  Every single run I've done since I started looking at that stat in March has shown that I spend a larger percentage of time on my right foot.  It averages about 49(left)-51(right).  That is until yesterday.  It registered 50.3-49.7.  I figured it was a fluke.  Then today it registered 50.0-50.0.  I have not changed anything that I am aware of.  It's not a bad thing...it's actually a good thing...but boy am I curious.  I will say that my Mom often commented as I was growing up that I had a tendency to "flip" my left foot when I walked.  And the PT noticed once that my left and right side are definitely not symmetrical.  

More questions...

OK...never mind.  My ground contact time is back to my normal...longer contact on the right side.   Question

Friday Liift4 legs...all hiit.
5 miles @ 11:45 HR 138/153 Cad 157 SL .87  I had to slow the cadence to get the HR to a lower more acceptable level for an easy run.

Saturday Liift4 Chest & Triceps
7 miles @ 11:51 HR 144/160 Cad 159 SL .86  Run with Janice and Nailon joined us for the last half.  I snuck in a but more distance and a hill before I joined Janice.  Nice social run.

Sunday After my run on Saturday we loaded up 6 of the grandkids and headed to a VRBO in Sunriver.  We had planned on a visit to the Observatory, Nature Center, swim pool, and sledding and snowmen but everything was closed due to CIVID and it rained so snow activities were not an option either.  I was able to pick up 3 disguise kits and an Origami kit before we packed up.  We paired up the cousins and they dressed each other up and then we let them dress us.  Lots of laughs.  The Origami occupied them a lot longer than expected so that was good.  We did take the 3 boys to the Nature Center for a very quick look at the Birds of Prey that were outside.  Fun times/memories.  We headed home after breakfast on Monday.

Monday I had time for a run later in the afternoon.  It was windy and kept blowing me off the road.  What a Face
5 miles @11:18 HR 141/151 Cad 158 SL .90 I was so stiff at the start and so frustrated with the wind that I almost stopped and walked home during the first mile.  Glad I stuck with it as I actually felt pretty good by the end of the run.

Tuesday Up early for Liift4 Back/Biceps.  We're trying to squeeze our Liift4 workouts in around or other activities so that we stay on track.  So far so good.  Lots of things on my to-do list today.  If I make good progress I'll head out for a run this afternoon.

To cloudy to see the planets last night.  Sad
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:02 pm

Pardon me for going back in time a bit to address your vertigo thing. My vertigo thing (or dizziness in bed) occurs to me when my salt intake is much less than normal. It first happened in 2007 and occurs only on low salt intake. Like last night.

In 2007, I accidentally found a cure by being a bit hungry and ate a handful of potato chips. This morning, I had a bit of peanut butter. Cured and cured.

On your running, what if you ran 1 week for cadence and the next week for HR? No specific reason why, but just to mix it up and see what happens or doesn't happen.

Sorry your weather and your clothing choices are not melding, yet. You'll have longer time to adapt than I will. Good luck!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:04 am

Nancy, y'all have a really nice Christmas.  Guess you'll find out if you're only getting carrot seed in your stocking. Suspect
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:44 pm

ounce wrote:Nancy, y'all have a really nice Christmas.  Guess you'll find out if you're only getting carrot seed in your stocking. Suspect
Thanks for the Christmas wishes Doug.  I think I've mentioned here that I've struggled to get into the Christmas spirit this year.  We don't exchange gifts much this year preferring to do things and create memories instead.  We have done that successfully this year.  I got a great gift this morning.  I'm sitting at Natalie's house enjoying a cup of tea while the twins are napping and the family is enjoying time in the snow.  Some quiet time to de-stress...just want I needed.

There are a few loose ends to tie up here related to questions and comments from earlier in the post.

• Ground contact time is definitely back to normal...for me...heavy on the right side.  No idea what caused the two back to back runs that were different.
  • Vertigo...mine is the loose rocks in the head version.  I had a pretty severe case several years ago and was diagnosed by a doctor.  It flares up when I bump my head or move in certain ways.  After it flared up I remembered a slight head bump that I'm sure was what triggered it this time.  My symptoms are very similar to my motion sickness symptoms.  I'm still having very very minor symptoms but it's improving.
  • HR and stress.  My resting HR is now showing the telltale signs of stress that I haven't been able to control.  As I mentioned I've struggled to deal with the holiday stress along with my normal life stresses.  The good news is that I've recorded a couple lower...for me...runs this week.  My RHR is still high but I think that will fall with time if I'm conscious of relaxing and taking some time for me.  Fortunately running helps.
  • I like the suggestion that I concentrate on either a lower HR or increased cadence.  I obviously can't achieve both during the same run at this point in my training.  I'm not sure what block of time I need to pick before changing focus.  I don't think individual runs will accomplish my goal.  Alternating weeks might work well.  Or I may choose to work on one or the other for a few weeks and really feel like I've adapted before changing focus.  It makes more sense to work on low HR base miles this time of year when the weather often doesn't cooperate and the roads are sometimes slick.  I can save the cadence and faster stuff for spring time.

Updates on my runs.

Tuesday I did make good progress on my chore list and so I went for a run.
5 miles @ 11:26 HR 137/154 Cad 159 SL .88  Full disclosure on this run.  I got a rock in my shoe and stopped briefly at mile 1.25 to remove it.  Might have given my HR average a bit of help.  Even so I was happy with this run.  

Wednesday Liift 4 Shoulders and a run.
5 miles @ 11:27 HR 138/149 Cad 157 SL .89  Nice HR and no pause.  Smile  I did slow my cadence but you can't have everything I guess.

Thursday Liift4 Legs before driving over the mountain to spend a few minutes with my Mom and then bring Marty's Mom home with us.

Friday Merry Christmas  santa Rest/family time.

I have time to listen to a running podcast while I enjoy my cup of tea...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:53 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Nancy, y'all have a really nice Christmas.  Guess you'll find out if you're only getting carrot seed in your stocking. Suspect
Thanks for the Christmas wishes Doug.  I think I've mentioned here that I've struggled to get into the Christmas spirit this year.  We don't exchange gifts much this year preferring to do things and create memories instead.  We have done that successfully this year.  I got a great gift this morning.  I'm sitting at Natalie's house enjoying a cup of tea while the twins are napping and the family is enjoying time in the snow.  Some quiet time to de-stress...just want I needed.

There are a few loose ends to tie up here related to questions and comments from earlier in the post.

• Ground contact time is definitely back to normal...for me...heavy on the right side.  No idea what caused the two back to back runs that were different.
  • Vertigo...mine is the loose rocks in the head version.  I had a pretty severe case several years ago and was diagnosed by a doctor.  It flares up when I bump my head or move in certain ways.  After it flared up I remembered a slight head bump that I'm sure was what triggered it this time.  My symptoms are very similar to my motion sickness symptoms.  I'm still having very very minor symptoms but it's improving.
  • HR and stress.  My resting HR is now showing the telltale signs of stress that I haven't been able to control.  As I mentioned I've struggled to deal with the holiday stress along with my normal life stresses.  The good news is that I've recorded a couple lower...for me...runs this week.  My RHR is still high but I think that will fall with time if I'm conscious of relaxing and taking some time for me.  Fortunately running helps.
  • I like the suggestion that I concentrate on either a lower HR or increased cadence.  I obviously can't achieve both during the same run at this point in my training.  I'm not sure what block of time I need to pick before changing focus.  I don't think individual runs will accomplish my goal.  Alternating weeks might work well.  Or I may choose to work on one or the other for a few weeks and really feel like I've adapted before changing focus.  It makes more sense to work on low HR base miles this time of year when the weather often doesn't cooperate and the roads are sometimes slick.  I can save the cadence and faster stuff for spring time.

Updates on my runs.

Tuesday I did make good progress on my chore list and so I went for a run.
5 miles @ 11:26 HR 137/154 Cad 159 SL .88  Full disclosure on this run.  I got a rock in my shoe and stopped briefly at mile 1.25 to remove it.  Might have given my HR average a bit of help.  Even so I was happy with this run.  

Wednesday Liift 4 Shoulders and a run.
5 miles @ 11:27 HR 138/149 Cad 157 SL .89  Nice HR and no pause.  Smile  I did slow my cadence but you can't have everything I guess.

Thursday Liift4 Legs before driving over the mountain to spend a few minutes with my Mom and then bring Marty's Mom home with us.

Friday Merry Christmas  santa Rest/family time.

I have time to listen to a running podcast while I enjoy my cup of tea...
Doing nothing is usually quite nice.  It could be something to try again and again over the next week to see if a New Years resolution could be successful, especially when it's not the growing season.  Doing nothing is all it's cracked up to be.  It could be your Great Stress Reliever of 2021.  Become a healthy kind of lazier.

Loose rocks, eh?  Good you know how to correct, when the rocks get loose. 

Regarding HR and Stress, refer to paragraph 1.
Frustration

Maybe total up your weekly time on running, Liifting, and non-at home volunteering type duties so you can see where you should fit in 4 hours, once a week, of Tea time that is separate from your coffee time each morning.  I think you need to be better at achieving nothing. 

In fact, I shall reprimand you for working too much and sentence you to the 4 hour Tea time, once a week..  You can do anything you want during that 4 hours that is nothing.

Tuesday and Wednesday were good runs, but your on probation, now.

Good luck.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:43 pm

Well I put together a very nice run this morning.

7 miles @ 10:29 HR 146/165 Cad 159 SL .99

1. 10:44 HR 129/143 Cad 160
  2. 10:49 HR 143/148 Cad 160
  3. 10:34 HR 146/153 Cad 159
  4. 10:32 HR 148 156 Cad 157
  5. 10:36 HR 150/157 Cad 158
  6. 10:20 HR 150/157 Cad 158
  7.   9:52 HR 154/165 Cad 161

I often start a bit fast a slow considerably during the second mile.  I was able to hold my pace this morning so stopped worrying about HR and decided to see if I could maintain/build as the run progressed.  I had a bit of cadence drop but the pace progressed nicely.  HR drift was evident and I pushed pretty hard at the end for a nice finish.  Walked about half a mile to cool down but didn't record that as part of the run.  Very happy with this effort including the HR and cadence.

Doug, I agree that rest and relaxation needs to have a higher priority in my training/life.  Even with all the cooking and family stress of the holidays I managed to find a bit of time to relax.  Not sure if the successful run this morning was the result of that relaxation time, a couple days off, or the half a glass of chardonnay I had with dinner last night...  Maybe I should experiment with all three options more often.

Looking forward to putting together some goals and a plan to reach them.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:39 pm

nkrichards wrote:Well I put together a very nice run this morning.

I often start a bit fast a slow considerably during the second mile.  I was able to hold my pace this morning so stopped worrying about HR and decided to see if I could maintain/build as the run progressed.  I had a bit of cadence drop but the pace progressed nicely.  HR drift was evident and I pushed pretty hard at the end for a nice finish.  Walked about half a mile to cool down but didn't record that as part of the run.  Very happy with this effort including the HR and cadence.

Doug, I agree that rest and relaxation needs to have a higher priority in my training/life.  Even with all the cooking and family stress of the holidays I managed to find a bit of time to relax.  Not sure if the successful run this morning was the result of that relaxation time, a couple days off, or the half a glass of chardonnay I had with dinner last night...  Maybe I should experiment with all three options more often.

I think that's a beautiful run! Yes, you do start fast out of the gate, but you settle in for the 2nd mile, too, so that's normal for you. I have no science to back me up but, cadence was steady and drift was inconsequential, ESPECIALLY since your pace was decreasing. Really nice.

I just bring to your attention what I see from a long way away. There's curvature of the earth to deal with, so I may not see it accurately and 2,100 miles or so.

A pure couple of days off for 4 weeks might be worth the experiment. You may want to refer to it as your Stress Reduction Running and Liift plan. No plan is worthwhile, if it results in more stress.

ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:44 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Well I put together a very nice run this morning.

I think that's a beautiful run!  Yes, you do start fast out of the gate, but you settle in for the 2nd mile, too, so that's normal for you.  I have no science to back me up but, cadence was steady and drift was inconsequential, ESPECIALLY since your pace was decreasing.  Really nice.

I just bring to your attention what I see from a long way away.  There's curvature of the earth to deal with, so I may not see it accurately and 2,100 miles or so.  

A pure couple of days off for 4 weeks might be worth the experiment.  You may want to refer to it as your Stress Reduction Running and Liift plan.  No plan is worthwhile, if it results in more stress.

You can see pretty well from half way across the country.  I do think that rest and recovery days/time are going to have to be an important part of my plan moving forward.

The goal for today was a recovery effort run after my MIL went home.  I wasn't as successful as I had hoped but considering that it got pretty late in the day and I'd eaten recently it will just have to do.

5 miles @ 11:40 HR 139/153 Cad 160 SL .89  I won't bother to post the splits but I will admit that I had to consciously slow down the last couple miles to keep this in the easy effort category.

Finished the week with 27 miles of which 20 were at or near an easy pace.  RHR is settling down a bit but has a ways to go.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:42 am

I think you need to slowly work on training to attempt a Boston to see if your body, mind, and life's other activities can be slowly stirred into your life. Now is not the time to add the rigors of Boston training.

Whatever your timeline for Boston, add a year. Boston will still be around and mind & body will be more compliant. Dare I suspect that Miche1e will still be running them, when you go again.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next