365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 40 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  ounce Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:57 pm

I didn't workout at all, this morning.  In fact, I went to bed early to catch up on yesterday morning's lost sleep.  I woke up about 15 minutes past where I should have to get to the gym.  So, I slept another couple of hours.

My arm was still limber and had full range.  The bruising or swelling had expanded up and down the arm.  Now, it's halfway up the upper arm and 2/3rds down the forearm (3 fingers from the wrist).  I'm not concerned.  It looks bad, but in two weeks, it will look much better.  Well, checking out a picture of Popeye, it doesn't look like his forearm.

Term Limits? - Page 40 9k=
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:34 pm

Went off to the gym, this morning.  Not a whole lot to do at a gym, when you can't do what I've been doing and am running in the morning.  I couldn't do any planks because the bruise had occupied some space on my ulna bone, mid-forearm. 

However, I did work on my squats.  A week ago, I worked on them because all of the little muscles in the hip were tight and I wasn't able to squat low enough.  I've worked a couple of times in the past week and today, I gotten much lower.  Not quite as low as the person in the photo, but about 3/4ths of the way.  Before a week ago, about 1/2 way.

Term Limits? - Page 40 Images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTBUy05Rd0uFc1_BrqX1iYadI1ZSBRtp0aB9g&usqp=CAU
I'd like to be able again to squat low enough to check the bottom row of a shelf at the grocery store.

Did some other stuff, even restarted lunges!  But I was done in 30 minutes.

The left arm's swelling has slowed and I was able to carry grocery bags without pain.  About 17 pounds or so on that hand.  I think it'll still be 2 weeks before it's back to baseline.

Tomorrow will be running.  Something between 4 and 7 miles.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm

ounce wrote:I enjoyed being a trainer and had I talked to the trainers at TCU about the cocky football players, they probably would've said that doesn't happen and I would've seriously considered getting a scholarship, even though science wasn't my forte.  I liked the medical aspect, which I've continued to keep curious about.

And you're spot on about high school reunions.

-30-

This morning it was another 80 degree morning.  In an effort to extend the length of the pier during a long run, I decided to reduce the cadence from 164 to 160.

7 miles, 1:40:32, 14:21 pace, 137 avg bpm, 161 max bpm, 153 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length.
1.  14:36, 119 bpm, 159 spm, 69 sl
2.  13:57, 130 bpm, 160 spm, 73 sl
3.  13:57, 139 bpm, 159 spm, 73 sl
4.  13:58, 141 bpm, 153 spm, 75 sl
5.  14:33, 146 bpm, 151 spm, 72 sl
6.  14:43, 143 bpm, 146 spm, 75 sl
7.  14:43, 144 bpm, 147 spm, 73 sl

HR zones
zone 4  144-161 bpm
zone 3  126-143 bpm
zone 2  108-125 bpm

Term Limits? - Page 40 GeT5giNeUrmVwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Term Limits? - Page 40 A5Nc4VdOAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
A 3.29 mile pier.  The red dots after was due to going under a railroad trestle.  So the pace slowed on the way up.  You'll note the HR was higher than past runs at 164 cadence.  Why? you ask.  Well, I figure my heart had had it too easy for too long.  Running longer at a ~160 cadence caused the heart to work harder and at a higher HR.  That's fine.  The overall run wasn't too bad, except when I fell at mile 6.5.  Received a big bobo on that.

I was fearful that 160 would be too slow a cadence to return to 164 in the Fall, but I think it'll be fine, now that I've done it once.

On the medical front, the return trip today caused 2 injuries that won't affect running.

The first one (keep in mind I'm on blood thinners) occurred as I brushed by a rose bush.  Ten minutes later, I noticed my right ring finger had a trail of blood running to the tip.  Evidently, I hit a thorn.  The bleeding didn't stop for an hour, including the 30 minutes after the run.

The second one at mile 6.5 was a fall that I wasn't expecting.  I guess a couple of long weeds grabbed my shoe, as I stepped up off the street to a sidewalk, over a strip of grass.  I fell onto my upper, left forearm (the fleshy part) and my torso rolled my forearm against the sidewalk.  Annnnnnd what does a runner do, once no major injury has occurred?  STOP THE WATCH!  cyclops

I have never seen a bruise blow up as fast as this one.  But it had very minimal bleeding, which was a surprise.  My rolling my torso over the forearm was like a rolling pin on biscuit dough.  There was zero bruising on the bones and my forearm looks like Popeye's.  I could post a picture taken about 30 minutes after the incident.

I think I'll not do any weight lifting, this week, with the arms.  Back in February, when I had the gigantic bruise, I had worked out the day before I checked in the hospital.  Even though it's different, it has my respect.

Thanks for reading.

ounce wrote:I didn't workout at all, this morning.  In fact, I went to bed early to catch up on yesterday morning's lost sleep.  I woke up about 15 minutes past where I should have to get to the gym.  So, I slept another couple of hours.

My arm was still limber and had full range.  The bruising or swelling had expanded up and down the arm.  Now, it's halfway up the upper arm and 2/3rds down the forearm (3 fingers from the wrist).  I'm not concerned.  It looks bad, but in two weeks, it will look much better.  Well, checking out a picture of Popeye, it doesn't look like his forearm.

Term Limits? - Page 40 9k=

ounce wrote:Went off to the gym, this morning.  Not a whole lot to do at a gym, when you can't do what I've been doing and am running in the morning.  I couldn't do any planks because the bruise had occupied some space on my ulna bone, mid-forearm. 

However, I did work on my squats.  A week ago, I worked on them because all of the little muscles in the hip were tight and I wasn't able to squat low enough.  I've worked a couple of times in the past week and today, I gotten much lower.  Not quite as low as the person in the photo, but about 3/4ths of the way.  Before a week ago, about 1/2 way.

Term Limits? - Page 40 Images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTBUy05Rd0uFc1_BrqX1iYadI1ZSBRtp0aB9g&usqp=CAU
I'd like to be able again to squat low enough to check the bottom row of a shelf at the grocery store.

Did some other stuff, even restarted lunges!  But I was done in 30 minutes.

The left arm's swelling has slowed and I was able to carry grocery bags without pain.  About 17 pounds or so on that hand.  I think it'll still be 2 weeks before it's back to baseline.

Tomorrow will be running.  Something between 4 and 7 miles.
Wait...WHAT...didn't we talk about being careful?  We're going to have to lock you into a padded room!  (It looks like you had a nice run going and a nice long pier.)

I didn't have nearly as much trouble as you when I was on my anti-platelet.  Mine was Brilinta...I wonder if it causes less bleeding/bruising issues.  I know it was EXPENSIVE.  

It does sound like you're OK though.  And it was good to hear that you're being cautious about using the injured limb for a few days.

I think working on the squats is a good plan.  Dr. Beckerman has a test.  You have to stand in the center of the room and sit down.  You are not allowed to let any part of you body touch the floor except your feet and your butt.  Then you have to stand up...same rules.  You loose one point for each body part that touches...hand, knee etc.  You can't touch the floor OR put your hands on your knees to pull you up.  It's not easy.  Hint...spread your feet into a wide stance.  He also has a track around the clinic.  He times how far you can walk in a set time.  And then he repeats these tests on a regular basis.  I was excused from testing. Very Happy

Now...please be careful on your run tomorrow!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:46 pm

I'll post the picture that's about 30 minutes, post fall.  The blood in the photo is all of the blood lost.  Much less than that durn rose bush.  I just KNEW I was going to be flowing blood like that 'bubblin' crude' in Jed Clampett's shot.

I take a Plavix and aspirin cocktail.  It's not that they are 'anti-platelet' or destroys the platelets so they don't clot.  More that the platelets are coated in Teflon, so they don't clump together.

I will be careful.  And I will use Dr. Beckerman's test as my goal squat function.  Thanks, Nancy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:55 pm

Term Limits? - Page 40 20200710
Looks like an avocado under my skin!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:40 pm

ounce wrote:Term Limits? - Page 40 20200710
Looks like an avocado under my skin!
OUCH!

Hope this mornings run went well.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:20 pm

Well, the run didn't go as planned.  1.55 miles instead of 4 or 5.  Cadence was dropping shortly after mile 1.  The outside parts of my thighs were beginning to whine.  I had nothing to lose. 

But, my arm bobo has become familiar territory, now.  The area that was the epicenter (see the above photo) has become hard, like that hematoma under the shoulder blade back in February, but smaller.  Additionally, blood had pooled on the underside of my arm and is about 14" long.  Both symptoms are indicative of leakage/not clotting of blood.  I figure the pooling happened while I was sleeping.  Gravity does things like that.

So.

So, I'm going to do what the doc did in February.  Stop the Plavix and aspirin in order to give the platelets a chance to clot and not do a whole lot of anything for a week.

This is sort of frustrating, but this 2nd instance has told me to not take aspiring after an injury of some sort.  This time, the Plavix and aspirin have stopped after 3 days, whereas February was 6 days.  That'll help.

y'all have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:37 pm

ounce wrote:Well, the run didn't go as planned.  1.55 miles instead of 4 or 5.  Cadence was dropping shortly after mile 1.  The outside parts of my thighs were beginning to whine.  I had nothing to lose. 

But, my arm bobo has become familiar territory, now.  The area that was the epicenter (see the above photo) has become hard, like that hematoma under the shoulder blade back in February, but smaller.  Additionally, blood had pooled on the underside of my arm and is about 14" long.  Both symptoms are indicative of leakage/not clotting of blood.  I figure the pooling happened while I was sleeping.  Gravity does things like that.

So.

So, I'm going to do what the doc did in February.  Stop the Plavix and aspirin in order to give the platelets a chance to clot and not do a whole lot of anything for a week.

This is sort of frustrating, but this 2nd instance has told me to not take aspiring after an injury of some sort.  This time, the Plavix and aspirin have stopped after 3 days, whereas February was 6 days.  That'll help.

y'all have a good weekend.
I'm thinking that the decision to take it easy for a few days and stop the Plavix and aspirin for a couple days is good given the fact that is what the doctor ordered last time.  That said I think it may be important that he know that you're prone to this sort of thing sooner rather than later.  Maybe he'll reconsider your dosage or choice of drugs.  Maybe just a phone call to inform him would be adequate.  Does he have a workable messaging system?  I can privately message Dr. B and get a response from either him personally or his nurse very quickly.

You're in a totally different boat than I am as I don't have a stent.  I was able to stop Brilinta after 12 months if I remember correctly.  I will have to continue with the aspirin for life.  What's the recommendation in your case?  I know that having a stent makes clotting a more significant issue.

Take it easy and enjoy the rest.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:05 pm

In March, he saw my bruise and he was willing to d/c the Plavix because there was data suggesting that 6 months was long enough after a stent. We decided to wait until August or September to d/c it.

Since I'm 11 months next week for the stent, he might d/c it now. I think the aspirin is the culprit.

I can say, this evening, the hematoma area is looser at the base. So, the platelets are doing their job and the cleanup has begun.

The lower arm bruise is a little longer. The swelling at the wrist has increased a bit, but i expect that to 'flatten' so to speak.

ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:32 pm

ounce wrote:In March, he saw my bruise and he was willing to d/c the Plavix because there was data suggesting that 6 months was long enough after a stent.  We decided to wait until August or September to d/c it.

Since I'm 11 months next week for the stent, he might d/c it now.  I think the aspirin is the culprit.

I can say, this evening, the hematoma area is looser at the base.  So, the platelets are doing their job and the cleanup has begun.  

The lower arm bruise is a little longer.  The swelling at the wrist has increased a bit, but i expect that to 'flatten' so to speak.

Sounds like you and the doctor are pretty much in agreement...

Glad to hear that you're seeing some improvement.

Take care...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:37 am

The knot that is the hematoma is there and will be for a while, but is movable to some degree. Akin to how movable the kneecap is when standing up. And, like the kneecap, is not movable in another position.

The Cleanup Dept is hard at work cleaning up the broad and purple bruise. Its process is definitely FIFO and lightens an area first, rather than cleaning the entire area before moving on. So there are different teams doing cleaning.

The sheetrock dept has patched, taped, and floated the small laceration. Now it needs to be textured and painted.

The swelling at the wrist has increased a bit, day over day, and the bruising has passed the wrist and is now about 2 fingers width down the top of the hand. I'm not concerned. I still have full and painless range of motion, although planks are not possible due to a hurtful bruise along the mid-point of the ulna, but not on the bone.

Tune in tomorrow for another episode of This Old House.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:09 pm

ounce wrote:The knot that is the hematoma is there and will be for a while, but is movable to some degree.  Akin to how movable the kneecap is when standing up.  And, like the kneecap, is not movable in another position.  

The Cleanup Dept is hard at work cleaning up the broad and purple bruise.  Its process is definitely FIFO and lightens an area first, rather than cleaning the entire area before moving on.  So there are different teams doing cleaning.

The sheetrock dept has patched, taped, and floated the small laceration.  Now it needs to be textured and painted.

The swelling at the wrist has increased a bit, day over day, and the bruising has passed the wrist and is now about 2 fingers width down the top of the hand.  I'm not concerned.  I still have full and painless range of motion, although planks are not possible due to a hurtful bruise along the mid-point of the ulna, but not on the bone.

Tune in tomorrow for another episode of This Old House.
Interesting narrative...

Good to hear that the remodel is progressing nicely.

Even more pleased to hear that you seem to be taking it easy during the recovery process.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:39 pm

I was going to run on Thursday, but I overslept the alarm.  This morning, then, I wanted to run 4 miles, but only could do 2 miles.  It was 80 degrees.

Before the run, I was curious if a loss of hemoglobin would cause me to feel as if I had just donated whole blood, like it did in February.  Since the hematoma on my arm is much smaller than the one below my shoulder blade, it was not as bad.  Actually, the lungs exerted more effort than the heart.  The legs were groggy, since it's the first run in 10 days.  I was headed to do 3 miles, when shortly after 1 mile, the legs wanted to go home.  Okay.

The bruise, swelling, and the hematoma are getting better.  I can also feel the edge of the hematoma and a little under it, due to the skin being looser.  The hematoma is 4 finger widths long by 3 fingers wide.  The shoulder blade hematoma was 5" x 8".

I'll post the splits later.  Thanks for coming by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:39 pm

ounce wrote:I was going to run on Thursday, but I overslept the alarm.  This morning, then, I wanted to run 4 miles, but only could do 2 miles.  It was 80 degrees.

Before the run, I was curious if a loss of hemoglobin would cause me to feel as if I had just donated whole blood, like it did in February.  Since the hematoma on my arm is much smaller than the one below my shoulder blade, it was not as bad.  Actually, the lungs exerted more effort than the heart.  The legs were groggy, since it's the first run in 10 days.  I was headed to do 3 miles, when shortly after 1 mile, the legs wanted to go home.  Okay.

The bruise, swelling, and the hematoma are getting better.  I can also feel the edge of the hematoma and a little under it, due to the skin being looser.  The hematoma is 4 finger widths long by 3 fingers wide.  The shoulder blade hematoma was 5" x 8".

I'll post the splits later.  Thanks for coming by.
2 was a good start on your way to recovery.  Better safe than sorry.

Good to hear you're continuing to heal.

Take care and enjoy the rest of the weekend.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:44 pm

Are you close enough to the storm to be affected much?  Stay safe.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:00 pm

Hurricane Hanna made landfall this afternoon as a category 1 storm w/90 mph winds in south Texas, between Corpus Christi and Brownsville or 250 miles south of Houston, as the car flies.

We ARE getting effects (20 mph sustained & rain bands of 2"-3" of rain between now and Monday). But easy for the drains and bayous to handle. Coastal areas are seeing higher tides and 6'-8' waves, instead of 2-3', and 35 mph winds.

A wet couple of days is all. Hanna is the earliest 'H' named storm ever, as was the a few of the others.
But we should be pretty safe from tropical storms for the next 10 days due to Saharan dust coming from....the Saharan Desert!

Houston's hurricane season typically peaks mid-september, as long as the first Fall front comes by the autumnal equinox.

Thanks, ma'am.

-------

https://i-team.forumotion.com/viewtopic.php?t=3379
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40