365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 39 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  ounce Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:17 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Thanks, but I think Cruise Control Caroline would get bored with my pace.  But it was a nifty run. 

It makes me wonder what else different can I do.  The heart is clearly under challenged. 

Losing weight would help, but sugar is presently addictive.  But the fudge tastes good!  Sidebar--I tweaked the B for butter fudge by adding 2 more tablespoons of butter in order to make it less crumbly.  It was less crumbly, but it durn near melts in your mouth.  So, I can't leave it in the car.  So I'll probably make another batch, this month.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I might resurrect 880 run x 440 rest cycle. Or maybe run 4 miles faster.

Today, I went to 24 Hour to work out with weights.  I would've gone last week, but I was having troubles with their app, which is used to check in, now.  Make a reservation, show them your phone at check-in, wipe the weights down with a cleaner.  You have 1 hour to work out, then they close the facility for 30 minutes for a cleaning.

I wasn't able to hit all of the machines I wanted to, but I hit most of them.  It wasn't crowded at 5 a.m., but about 80% of the usual population.  I probably had lost 30-50% strength.  This workout, I basically worked with lighter weights to get the body used to the motions again.  No point in hurting on the 1st day.

Nancy, to your water question.  I will drop a bottle off the night before, somewhere, but that's only during the Summer.  Once I am able to do 7 miles, I'll pass a water fountain at Memorial Park and won't need to carry a bottle.  Additionally, when I run 7+ miles, my route always includes at least 1 water fountain, intentionally.

Bulletin:  The weather forecast is a dew point of 46 in the morning, or so.  In June, too!  Bizarre-o.
Good to see that you're now able to venture back to the gym.  I'm convinced that core/strength training is very beneficial to successful run training.  

I don't have the option to run by a water fountain.  Sad  As much as I dislike carrying a hand held water bottle that may be my best option...I dislike the water belts even more.  For some reason I don't mind setting up an aid station and looping by the house every 4-5 miles during a long run but that doesn't work as well when I'm running intervals.
ounce wrote:I woke up this morning and immediately checked the temp.  81 degrees with a dew point of 78. Sad   The front hadn't passed through yet.

Today's plan was to do the run 880 & recover 440.  81 degrees was going to make it interesting, to say the least.  I stepped out into the thick air and immediately reconsidered the run.  But in the minute or so it took to get to the start line, a strong north wind began.  There was no drop in temperature, however, dry air was on the way.  And if you can't run in dry air, running with a 10-15 mph breeze is almost as good for dissipating mugginess.

When I finished the run, I checked the temps  78 degrees with a dew point of 56.
Interested to see how the run went this morning...
My laptop sometimes crashes with no warning, so I stopped typing and hit 'send' so I wouldn't have to re-type it.  Reminds me of those bygone days using Lotus 1-2-3 and constantly Saving the spreadsheet because the power blinks off and you don't want to lose the data.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:18 pm

ounce wrote:I woke up this morning and immediately checked the temp.  81 degrees with a dew point of 78. Sad   The front hadn't passed through yet.

Today's plan was to do the run 880 & recover 440.  81 degrees was going to make it interesting, to say the least.  I stepped out into the thick air and immediately reconsidered the run.  But in the minute or so it took to get to the start line, a strong north wind began.  There was no drop in temperature, however, dry air was on the way.  And if you can't run in dry air, running with a 10-15 mph breeze is almost as good for dissipating mugginess.

When I finished the run, I checked the temps  78 degrees with a dew point of 56.  The drier air is supposed to stay until Saturday, but it will still be in the 90's. Yesterday during the funeral, the heat index was 111 degrees.  98 degrees with a dew point of 74 degrees.

Anywho, I set out to run the intervals with a goal of 5-880s.  I had to stop during the 4th because my legs were getting tired.  Really tired.  That's okay.  I imagine I should've stopped at 3, but I had to stretch.  Same result.

I walked and ran 2.5 miles total.  I mostly walked the recovery 440.  Always have.
1.  12:07 pace, 127 bpm, 137 max
2.  12:17 pace, 133 bpm, 137 max
3.  12:02 pace, 135 bpm, 140 max
4.  12:09 pace (0.24 miles), 130 bpm, 138 max

Walking 440s recorded an average HR of between 103-111 bpm. 

I didn't perceive my pace to be any faster than the time shows.  So, that's the story and I will hope, hope, hope that the dew point is in the 50's again on Friday.  Thanks for reading.
Good to hear that the breeze blew in the cooler air.  Hope it sticks around for your Friday run.

Looks like decent splits.  You struggled a bit in the second interval but you it doesn't appear that you started to fast and fell off the pace as the third was back up there and the 4th was right in there.  I figure that those small differences are often the result of a lack of concentration on my part rather than a lack of ability.  Very nice effort...and I don't think it was a bad decision to push yourself and do that 4th interval.

So questions.

1. I don't remember what paces you were hitting when you did these earlier...and is this your first attempt post cardiac event?
  2. Where do you do these?  Road? Track? Is each split under the same/similar conditions?  (You obviously aren't walking back to the start as your run is a half mile and your walk only a quarter mile.)
  3. Any warm up or cool down included in this run?

Take it easy the rest of the day and tomorrow.  If you're anything like me you'll feel that first fast effort for a couple days.

Nice job...way to push yourself.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:49 am

nkrichards wrote:

When I finished the run, I checked the temps  78 degrees with a dew point of 56.  The drier air is supposed to stay until Saturday, but it will still be in the 90's. Yesterday during the funeral, the heat index was 111 degrees.  98 degrees with a dew point of 74 degrees.

Anywho, I set out to run the intervals with a goal of 5-880s.  I had to stop during the 4th because my legs were getting tired.  Really tired.  That's okay.  I imagine I should've stopped at 3, but I had to stretch.  Same result.

I walked and ran 2.5 miles total.  I mostly walked the recovery 440.  Always have.

I didn't perceive my pace to be any faster than the time shows.  So, that's the story and I will hope, hope, hope that the dew point is in the 50's again on Friday.  Thanks for reading.
Good to hear that the breeze blew in the cooler air.  Hope it sticks around for your Friday run.

Looks like decent splits.  You struggled a bit in the second interval but you it doesn't appear that you started to fast and fell off the pace as the third was back up there and the 4th was right in there.  I figure that those small differences are often the result of a lack of concentration on my part rather than a lack of ability.  Very nice effort...and I don't think it was a bad decision to push yourself and do that 4th interval.

So questions.

1. I don't remember what paces you were hitting when you did these earlier...and is this your first attempt post cardiac event?
  2. Where do you do these?  Road? Track? Is each split under the same/similar conditions?  (You obviously aren't walking back to the start as your run is a half mile and your walk only a quarter mile.)

Take it easy the rest of the day and tomorrow.  If you're anything like me you'll feel that first fast effort for a couple days.

Thank you, Nancy, for your comments.

Below is the pace and cadence for it.  I want it to be a visual showing of the run.  Each vertical line is a split.  I ran the first split long because I didn't hear the beeps.
Term Limits? - Page 39 A91Ohk8hI6X0AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:13 am

nkrichards wrote:

So questions.

So answers.
1.  I don't know the last time I did these.  I will have to look and get back to you.
2.  I run these on the same route I do all of my runs.  It's an out and back, but I'll run farther out, so my last 880 gives me a good 440 or longer to cool down.
3.  No warm up.  I'm a slow bullet out of the barrel.

-30-

Thursday, I went to workout and it went well, although I added weight except for biceps.  My right tricep was tired, afterwards, and I worked on keeping it stretched throughout the day.  It was fun and I'm looking forward to going all the time.  Just trying to figure out the timing on going on a running day.

The legs were not hurting as a result of Wednesdays intervals.  Then again, I pretty much didn't do any leg work, except leg lifts.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:03 am

THIS morning, it was 72 degrees with a dew point of 60 degrees.  This don't happen in June (poor grammar Shocked ).  It felt nice and there was an east breeze, too.  The air wasn't cool, but it was dry.

So, 4 or 5 miles?  5 miles would be a stretch, but it's cooler and that might offset the extra mile.

5 miles, 1:04:53, 12:57 pace, 138 avg bpm, 158 max bpm, 161 avg cadence, 0.77 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 13:05, 2nd half pace 12:49
1.  13:39, 112 bpm, 136 Max, 163 spm, 73 sl
2.  12:46, 139 bpm, 156 Max, 163 spm, 77 sl
3.  12:57, 148 bpm, 158 Max, 162 spm, 78 sl
4.  12:54, 147 bpm, 156 Max, 157 spm, 79 sl
5.  12:33, 146 bpm, 155 Max, 162 spm, 80 sl

HR zones
Term Limits? - Page 39 IiwrUsvkHyIsK1LL5B8iLCtSy+QfIiwrUsvkHyIsK1LL5B8iLCtSy+QelhAi0kL4EWkpdAC8lLoIXkJdBC8hJoIXkJtJC8BFr+B8qnNxUg4S7AAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Zone 4   144-158
Zone 3   126-143
Zone 2   108-125
Zone 1      0-107

Term Limits? - Page 39 W8wamGyrRQN1QAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Humidity level makes a difference.  Cadence will tell you that my mile 4 time was pretty amazing in the light of the visual representation of it.  When my cadence returned to normal at 4.5, it was due to having an overall pace of 13:01 and wanting to get a sub-13 overall.  The last quarter mile was difficult, but I was in no danger of anything bad.

So, yay me! 

HR was up there and remained up there, but it was one of those runs on one of those rarer, lower humidity days.  One thing was odd was I was at 151 during the mile 4 and shortly after I was at 140.  So, Nancy, take a look at this one section of the HR graph.  Seeing the 11 bpm drop happened many times over the run.  The elapsed time from the higher spike to its lower bottom is about 1 minute.  The dashed vertical lines are miles 2, 3, and 4.  Interesting, no?

Term Limits? - Page 39 FjfdgGPUtQ9Ibgf4LyN6qxM01jfxeCYreWyn3IKAfpnPETY3+RWfeMHyujRxvkwc3s0EQ9xpBZoOgNI4m5o7Gm1AWfxiK7tNTtg3NYOyva46eDBObRM34sBNugZwWKnhBCCLEwFD0hhBBiYSh6QgghxML8f31EzdMOlbZ7AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Monday, back to regular humidity and 6 miles.  13.5 miles for this week.

Y'all have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:40 am

ounce wrote:

So questions.

So answers.
1.  I don't know the last time I did these.  I will have to look and get back to you.
2.  I run these on the same route I do all of my runs.  It's an out and back, but I'll run farther out, so my last 880 gives me a good 440 or longer to cool down.
3.  No warm up.  I'm a slow bullet out of the barrel.

-30-

Thursday, I went to workout and it went well, although I added weight except for biceps.  My right tricep was tired, afterwards, and I worked on keeping it stretched throughout the day.  It was fun and I'm looking forward to going all the time.  Just trying to figure out the timing on going on a running day.

The legs were not hurting as a result of Wednesdays intervals.  Then again, I pretty much didn't do any leg work, except leg lifts.
I'd be curious to know what your previous splits were on your interval runs and then how these compare.  My first attempt at an interval run after time off from speed work was pretty slow but it came back quickly.  I do think running fast is different and we need to practice it to become efficient.

Have fun and don't push to hard yet...
ounce wrote:THIS morning, it was 72 degrees with a dew point of 60 degrees.  This don't happen in June (poor grammar Shocked ).  It felt nice and there was an east breeze, too.  The air wasn't cool, but it was dry.

So, 4 or 5 miles?  5 miles would be a stretch, but it's cooler and that might offset the extra mile.

5 miles, 1:04:53, 12:57 pace, 138 avg bpm, 158 max bpm, 161 avg cadence, 0.77 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 13:05, 2nd half pace 12:49
1.  13:39, 112 bpm, 136 Max, 163 spm, 73 sl
2.  12:46, 139 bpm, 156 Max, 163 spm, 77 sl
3.  12:57, 148 bpm, 158 Max, 162 spm, 78 sl
4.  12:54, 147 bpm, 156 Max, 157 spm, 79 sl
5.  12:33, 146 bpm, 155 Max, 162 spm, 80 sl

HR zones
Term Limits? - Page 39 IiwrUsvkHyIsK1LL5B8iLCtSy+QfIiwrUsvkHyIsK1LL5B8iLCtSy+QelhAi0kL4EWkpdAC8lLoIXkJdBC8hJoIXkJtJC8BFr+B8qnNxUg4S7AAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Zone 4   144-158
Zone 3   126-143
Zone 2   108-125
Zone 1      0-107

Term Limits? - Page 39 W8wamGyrRQN1QAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Humidity level makes a difference.  Cadence will tell you that my mile 4 time was pretty amazing in the light of the visual representation of it.  When my cadence returned to normal at 4.5, it was due to having an overall pace of 13:01 and wanting to get a sub-13 overall.  The last quarter mile was difficult, but I was in no danger of anything bad.

So, yay me! 

HR was up there and remained up there, but it was one of those runs on one of those rarer, lower humidity days.  One thing was odd was I was at 151 during the mile 4 and shortly after I was at 140.  So, Nancy, take a look at this one section of the HR graph.  Seeing the 11 bpm drop happened many times over the run.  The elapsed time from the higher spike to its lower bottom is about 1 minute.  The dashed vertical lines are miles 2, 3, and 4.  Interesting, no?

Term Limits? - Page 39 FjfdgGPUtQ9Ibgf4LyN6qxM01jfxeCYreWyn3IKAfpnPETY3+RWfeMHyujRxvkwc3s0EQ9xpBZoOgNI4m5o7Gm1AWfxiK7tNTtg3NYOyva46eDBObRM34sBNugZwWKnhBCCLEwFD0hhBBiYSh6QgghxML8f31EzdMOlbZ7AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Monday, back to regular humidity and 6 miles.  13.5 miles for this week.

Y'all have a good weekend.
Yes, Yay for you!  It's always nice to finish a run faster than you started it.  And a sub 13 run is the bonus for that extra effort at the end.   cheers

Not a low HR run for you but it is worth noting that once your HR hit it's peak in mile 3 you were able to maintain/increase the pace without seeing a further increase in HR.

I also see a fair bit of fluctuation in my HR during a run.  Sometimes it can be explained by tackling a hill, sometimes I can slow it down by concentrating on my breathing and calming myself even though I maintain the pace, sometimes I don't have any explanation...and then sometimes I wonder if it's the HR monitor and/or the timing of the recording of the HR that is distorting the figures.  I don't worry much about it and look more at the overall trend.

Nice week.  Enjoy your weekend.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:48 pm

It ought to take me a while to produce the same splits when temp and dew point are 78 degrees.

My schedule has changed to where I will only be able to run and lift from T-Fr. As a result, I will do some body weight exercises on Mondays.

I failed to mention the HR didn't feel all that high. However, the last mile breathing was 1 breath, every 2 strides. (Exhale to exhale.)
Don't know, Nancy, but I take a half stride to exhale. Seems like I just blow it out...a disgruntled exhale sorta like.
I don't mind it, I guess it's just my way.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:47 pm

ounce wrote:It ought to take me a while to produce the same splits when temp and dew point are 78 degrees.

My schedule has changed to where I will only be able to run and lift from T-Fr.  As a result, I will do some body weight exercises on Mondays.

I failed to mention the HR didn't feel all that high.  However, the last mile breathing was 1 breath, every 2 strides.  (Exhale to exhale.)
Don't know, Nancy, but I take a half stride to exhale.  Seems like I just blow it out...a disgruntled exhale sorta like.
I don't mind it, I guess it's just my way.
I wouldn't worry to much about splits at this point...especially given the weather conditions.  I do think a bit of faster running helps us run more efficiently.  They also say it's a good way to remind your body to keep the cadence up.

I think we all have our signature running/breathing styles.  I personally don't think any of them are wrong.  Just different maybe.

You should be able to find lots of good body weight exercises to keep you challenged on Mondays!

Running Sweaty Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:18 pm

Hope you're just busy and not suffering from either the heat or COVID.   What a Face
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:29 pm

nkrichards wrote:Hope you're just busy and not suffering from either the heat or COVID.   What a Face
Ding!  Been trying to get here before I had too many to report.  Finding the hour has been tough.  Even now, I should be doing something else, but oh well.

Sooooo, in the past 2 weeks, I have ran 3 times out of 4 attempts, but worked out 4 out of 4 times.

Tuesday, June 16----  Around 72 degrees
6 miles, 1:22:39, 13:45 pace, 132 avg bpm, 151 max bpm, 159 avg cadence, 0.74 m avg stride length
1.  13:39, 135 bpm, 162 spm, 72 sl
2.  13:24, 129 bpm, 161 spm, 75 sl
3.  13:28, 132 bpm, 162 spm, 74 sl
4.  13:59, 135 bpm, 159 spm, 73 sl
5.  14:01, 137 bpm, 155 spm, 73 sl
6.  14:01, 141 bpm, 153 spm, 75 sl

Term Limits? - Page 39 A+MCxOdU0SzIwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
Zone 3 126 bpm - 143 bpm

Annnnnd any guess how the cadence went????
Term Limits? - Page 39 B4oz8VUtOoY1AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:49 pm

Friday, June 19---- 72 degrees
5 miles, 1:09:20, 13:51 pace, 126 avg bpm, 151 max bpm, 155 avg cadence, 0.74 m avg stride length
1.  13:36, 115 bpm, 159 spm, 73 sl
2.  13:14, 129 bpm, 161 spm, 75 sl
3.  13:51, 135 bpm, 155 spm, 74 sl
4.  14:05, 125 bpm, 152 spm, 75 sl
5.  14:27, 128 bpm, 147 spm, 74 sl

HR zones
Term Limits? - Page 39 AbcHWkBq0GseAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Zones
3.  126 - 143
2.  108 - 125

Term Limits? - Page 39 HwFmeVN1OY7VAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Boy, I remember THIS run.
So, if you stand up and put your hands against the side of your thighs, THIS is where it ached on both sides the whole run.  I had gone to the gym on Wednesday and Thursday.  Guess it was the abductor machine.  Oh, well.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:22 pm

Tuesday, June 23---- 76 degrees
6 miles, 1:26:48, 14:27 pace, 139 avg bpm, 164 max bpm, 155 spm, 72 sl
1.  14:13, 111 bpm, 163 spm, 68 sl
2.  13:30, 134 bpm, 161 spm, 73 sl
3.  14:15, 148 bpm, 153 spm, 75 sl
4.  15:01, 146 bpm, 151 spm, 72 sl
5.  14:42, 148 bpm,  garmin died.
6.  15:01, 145 bpm,

HR Zones

Term Limits? - Page 39 A+KYAICHNI0EAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
4.  144-161 bpm

Term Limits? - Page 39 OdPV3p+9ZI8AAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Boy, what THIS a bust.  I don't even remember why I went so slow at such a high (for me lately) HR.  Maybe it's a good thing that I don't remember.

Anywho, I did not run on Friday, the 26th, because radar was showing rain about to occur....but it didn't.  Why?  Houston had the Saharan dust roll in on Thursday at altitudes of 1,000' to 10,000'.  Weather radar at 4:45 a.m. showed moderate rains that would rain on my run.  So, I went back to bed.  When I got up, the ground wasn't wet and the rain was headed northeast.

Come to find out that the dryness of the layer of dust was under the rain and absorbed the rain.  First time that I've ever heard of that.  Want to see what a dust layer does for sunrise and sunsets?

Term Limits? - Page 39 PIFWZMXTWJGEBL44PKUUAUNC7I
Makes for great photos.
But other times of the day....
Term Limits? - Page 39 Ap_20178602593772

We have more coming this weekend.  Tomorrow, 6 miles.
I'm caught up!  Thank you for your understanding.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:12 pm

Good to hear you're well and still running...and working out!

You're getting some longer runs in.  Very Happy Love seeing your cadence graphics.  Impressed with your HR...even the one you think is high

Impressive dust photos.  

Keep running and stay safe.

Thanks for checking in.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:00 pm

Much obliged, Nancy.

But I think I figured out why my HR went high, then decreased later in the run.  The idea came up during this morning's 7 mile run.  "7?" you say.  Yeah, 7 miles.  It's a very logical reason, not related to running.  More like surviving.

You see, a prior 6 mile run left me fairly dehydrated by the end of the run.  Annnnnnd it was 81 degrees, this morning, with a heat index of 87-90 degrees. 

So when I run 6 miles, I turn around at mile 3 or so.  It's only a little more than a half mile to a water fountain at Memorial Park, if it was working due to the virus (could've been shut off).  And if I'm tired at 6 miles, I could stop.  If not, keep going to 7.

So, my HR went high when I could maintain a 160+ cadence, then after I was under 160, my heart didn't have to work as hard and the HR went down.

7 miles, 1:44:08, 14:51 pace, 138 avg bpm, 157 max bpm, 149 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length
1.  14:09, 123 bpm, 161 spm, 71 sl
2.  13:50, 140 bpm, 158 spm, 74 sl
3.  14:39, 146 bpm, 148 spm, 74 sl
4.  14:39, 144 bpm, 148 spm, 74 sl
5.  15:55, 139 bpm, 143 spm, 73 sl
6.  15:16, 137 bpm, 142 spm, 74 sl
7.  15:33, 137 bpm, 142 spm, 71 sl

HR zones
Term Limits? - Page 39 9UuIRuerAnSrZ1lXXW61VRWxwnZIGWtgnRrC1lZVNZldD1s4LIi3dpK1nWmW9vOf900WZFubSvritOtxrI6SMiykBXp1g6y5lVtdelWqawuErKdZTXESFawBlk3D8jKBN+ihABkZYJvUUIAsjLBtyghAFmZ4FuUEICsTPAtSghAVib4FiUEkG4FbICsgA2QFbABsgI2QFbABsgK2ABZARv+B2k4UuLiaryKAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
zone 4 144 - 157 bpm
zone 3 126 - 143 bpm

Term Limits? - Page 39 B+ZWTG1rFyeUAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

81 degrees and humid makes for not a fun time.  That little increase in cadence before mile 4 was the result of the water break at Memorial Park.  Never had a problem, but it sure was slow going.  And I have until Autumn with these temperatures.

Sure couldn't tell that I was coming off a week's rest from running.  Thanks for stopping by, again.

<--- I notice we have 'like' 'dislike' buttons to press, now.  My, my.  What $30 buys these days.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:27 am

ounce wrote:Much obliged, Nancy.

But I think I figured out why my HR went high, then decreased later in the run.  The idea came up during this morning's 7 mile run.  "7?" you say.  Yeah, 7 miles.  It's a very logical reason, not related to running.  More like surviving.

You see, a prior 6 mile run left me fairly dehydrated by the end of the run.  Annnnnnd it was 81 degrees, this morning, with a heat index of 87-90 degrees. 

So when I run 6 miles, I turn around at mile 3 or so.  It's only a little more than a half mile to a water fountain at Memorial Park, if it was working due to the virus (could've been shut off).  And if I'm tired at 6 miles, I could stop.  If not, keep going to 7.

So, my HR went high when I could maintain a 160+ cadence, then after I was under 160, my heart didn't have to work as hard and the HR went down.

7 miles, 1:44:08, 14:51 pace, 138 avg bpm, 157 max bpm, 149 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length
1.  14:09, 123 bpm, 161 spm, 71 sl
2.  13:50, 140 bpm, 158 spm, 74 sl
3.  14:39, 146 bpm, 148 spm, 74 sl
4.  14:39, 144 bpm, 148 spm, 74 sl
5.  15:55, 139 bpm, 143 spm, 73 sl
6.  15:16, 137 bpm, 142 spm, 74 sl
7.  15:33, 137 bpm, 142 spm, 71 sl

HR zones
Term Limits? - Page 39 9UuIRuerAnSrZ1lXXW61VRWxwnZIGWtgnRrC1lZVNZldD1s4LIi3dpK1nWmW9vOf900WZFubSvritOtxrI6SMiykBXp1g6y5lVtdelWqawuErKdZTXESFawBlk3D8jKBN+ihABkZYJvUUIAsjLBtyghAFmZ4FuUEICsTPAtSghAVib4FiUEkG4FbICsgA2QFbABsgI2QFbABsgK2ABZARv+B2k4UuLiaryKAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
zone 4 144 - 157 bpm
zone 3 126 - 143 bpm

Term Limits? - Page 39 B+ZWTG1rFyeUAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

81 degrees and humid makes for not a fun time.  That little increase in cadence before mile 4 was the result of the water break at Memorial Park.  Never had a problem, but it sure was slow going.  And I have until Autumn with these temperatures.

Sure couldn't tell that I was coming off a week's rest from running.  Thanks for stopping by, again.

<--- I notice we have 'like' 'dislike' buttons to press, now.  My, my.  What $30 buys these days.
7!  Nice especially considering the weather conditions.  I'm impressed.  I've been slowing down for my ""hot" runs but after reading the conditions you are running in I'm grateful that my definition of hot is direct sun with temps of 70+ but low humidity. Not sure that would even qualify as a warm run for you.

I can definitely see the correlation between HR and Cadence as the run continues.

I did notice the like/dislike buttons...interesting.

How are the visits to the gym going?  Any COVID restriction changes given the increase in case numbers?  Governor Brown has chastised us and made masks mandatory now.

Take care out there and don't let yourself get dehydrated!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:46 pm

As far as your 'choice' weather conditions, if there was a north wind along with it then I might could handle it.

As far as the gym, you may have noticed that Texas, Florida, Arizona, and California are fighting for the lead and Houston is supposed to be the new epicenter.  Well, we've masked up, now.  I don't see why people think their freedoms are being trampled on by wearing a mask.  Oh, well.  With all of the increase in positivity %, I'm really surprised they haven't closed the gym.  But bars and beaches seem to be the culprit on increase in cases, plus half of the new positives are people under 40.

Working out is still fun.  They only allow X number of people for an hour, then close for 30 minutes of cleaning, then open for an hour, etc.  I think it's 20 people an hour, which for a gym the size I'm at, that's not a lot of people.  So, I can hit all the machines I want, but may have to swap around the order.  I haven't recovered back to pre-covid baseline, but I'm getting there.  The goal is still a full pull up in 3 years.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:26 am

Thursday was the 2nd back to the back to back gym workouts.  I forgot my mask, so I went home to get it.  That sliced 20 minutes off my workout time, but that's okay.

I was more curious about how the Wed & Thurs workouts would affect this morning's run.  It affected it last week.

I belong to a mailing list of a German company that sells pull up bars, bands, and other stuff like that.  They usually have a good story or entry about doing pull ups.  Yesterday was no different.  In fact, it's going to change how I workout with weights.  I've known that if you want muscles to show, then you lift weights concentrically.  If you want the strength, then you lift weights eccentrically.  But this article took another tact.

https://www.pullup-dip.com/how-to-do-your-first-pull-up

It said, if you want to strengthen then do 3 sets of 6 with heavier weights, than if you do (and I do) 3 sets of 12 with lighter weights.  And for strengthening, you rest 3-5 minutes between sets.  Since what I can lift to what I weigh is about 1:4.5, getting stronger is imperative.

I don't do many of the weights routines mentioned, but I will use them to vary what I'm doing so different muscle groups will get some of the love.

-30-

Alrighty, today was to be a 4-6 mile run, depending on how I thought the run would go with the temps.  It was 79 degrees, this morning.  81 on Tuesday with a breeze.  I could actually tell the 2 degree difference.  The air just wasn't as thick.  I was going to find out how the weights were going to affect the run.  Oddly enough, I was not too concerned about maintaining the cadence, just to make the run look better.  I guess I surrendered the run to the conditions and just hoped to finish.  As it turned out, the gnome was off for a good deal of the run.

7 miles, 1:47:11, 15:17 pace, 126 avg bpm, 136 max bpm, 145 avg cadence, 0.72 m avg stride length
1.  14:35, 120 bpm, 159 spm, 69 sl
2.  14:47, 124 bpm, 147 spm, 74 sl
3.  15:23, 126 bpm, 144 spm, 74 sl
4.  15:12, 126 bpm, 144 spm, 74 sl
5.  15:59, 126 bpm, 140 spm, 73 sl
6.  15:38, 127 bpm, 143 spm, 72 sl
7.  15:32, 130 bpm, 142 spm, 71 sl

HR zones
Term Limits? - Page 39 WM089noMWa9twAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
zone 3  126 - 136 bpm
zone 2  108 - 125 bpm

Term Limits? - Page 39 AdiIxbOl3ky6AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

I don't know how much of y'alls runs you do with your mouth closed, but at 164 cadence, it's open all the time.  However at 14x cadence, my mouth is closed most of the time.

I am attributing the cadence and the pace on doing weights on Wednesday and Thursday.  That doesn't explain a similar cadence and pace on Tuesday's run...on 3 day's rest.  Today, I didn't have much whining, like I did last Friday.

Now, I can't say that today's run was fun or easy because it really wasn't.  But as I passed the 2 mile, 2.5 mile, and 3 mile turnarounds, my closed mouth told me I could get to the water fountain at Memorial Park without much effort.

Today's run was 3 minutes slower than Tuesday's run, which isn't a big deal to me.  I'm just trying to clock some time on my feet in the Summer.  I kinda figure to take a page from Nancy's schedule and just see how long it takes for my running body to adjust (get faster) to my weights body's activities.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:00 am

Yesterday, it was 79 degrees.  The goal was 7 miles, again, and hoping to run a 'longer pier' at 164.

6.46 miles, 1:37:38, 15:00 pace, 128 avg bpm, 151 max bpm, 149 avg cadence, 0.72 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 14:30, 2nd half pace 15:30
1.  14:37, 117 bpm, 161 spm, 69 sl
2.  14:09, 130 bpm, 159 spm, 72 sl
3.  14:48, 137 bpm, 148 spm, 74 sl
4.  15:19, 133 bpm, 149 spm, 72 sl
5.  15:30, 127 bpm, 143 spm, 72 sl
6.  15:50 pace, 127 bpm, 143 spm, 72 sl

HR zones
Term Limits? - Page 39 WG6dAT88cCRtgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
zone 4 144-151
zone 3 126-143
zone 2 108-125

Term Limits? - Page 39 H8u1qOAdvXbjAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Ah, that last mile.  I found out that as long as I'm going, I can finish.  But have a shoestring get loose requiring a stop to re-tie it and it's difficult to re-start.

The overall average HR is a bit deceiving, as I stopped for the water and to pee during mile 4.  When I re-started after the water break, my HR was at 96 bpm.  So, the first 3 miles are accurate because I never stopped.

But the run wasn't all lost.  I DID have a longer pier.  THAT was a goal.

However, I have to weigh always running 7's for attaining a longer pier, thereby, greater endurance versus changing it up so my only source for, and gauge of, improvement is not more green dots.  So, I'll probably run 4 on Friday.  I'd like to run 2.5 miles as the pier.

-30-

This morning, I went to the gym.  Fewer people are showing up, these days.  Today was around 17 people.  Back in mid-June, it was probably 25.  Makes it easier to justify staying with 10,000 cases in Texas reported yesterday.

I increased the weight and decreased the reps, today.  Reps are now 3 of 6-8 with a little more weight, from 3 of 10-12.  I also worked on doing no weight squats.  The muscles attached to the hip bones are tight and/or underworked.  That particular goal is to be able to go all the way down, then stand up.  To start, I grabbed onto a leg of a, best described as, beefed up A-frame that looks like a kids swing set, but much, much sturdier.  For example, a 5 feet long boxing bag is attached to it. 

Enjoyed it.  Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:45 am

Gym again.  Increased weights on a couple of machines to try to get to the 6 rep max amount, while still maintaining correct form.  Correct form = less injuries.

Also, doing fewer reps means I have more time!  There are a couple of people at the gym that do pull ups as part of their workout.  So I watch what other machines they do and determine if I can include that into my routine or substitute it on a different day.

When I watch 2 specific people doing pull ups, I'm like, 'this might take longer than 3 years.'  But that's 3 years down the road and I can do a lot in that time span.  Much of what I learned on the earlier linked website is what they do or a variation of such.

Running tomorrow.  Today, we have a heat index of 105-110 ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND it's national ice cream month!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:51 pm

ounce wrote:Yesterday, it was 79 degrees.  The goal was 7 miles, again, and hoping to run a 'longer pier' at 164.

6.46 miles, 1:37:38, 15:00 pace, 128 avg bpm, 151 max bpm, 149 avg cadence, 0.72 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 14:30, 2nd half pace 15:30
1.  14:37, 117 bpm, 161 spm, 69 sl
2.  14:09, 130 bpm, 159 spm, 72 sl
3.  14:48, 137 bpm, 148 spm, 74 sl
4.  15:19, 133 bpm, 149 spm, 72 sl
5.  15:30, 127 bpm, 143 spm, 72 sl
6.  15:50 pace, 127 bpm, 143 spm, 72 sl

HR zones
Term Limits? - Page 39 WG6dAT88cCRtgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
zone 4 144-151
zone 3 126-143
zone 2 108-125

Term Limits? - Page 39 H8u1qOAdvXbjAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Ah, that last mile.  I found out that as long as I'm going, I can finish.  But have a shoestring get loose requiring a stop to re-tie it and it's difficult to re-start.

The overall average HR is a bit deceiving, as I stopped for the water and to pee during mile 4.  When I re-started after the water break, my HR was at 96 bpm.  So, the first 3 miles are accurate because I never stopped.

But the run wasn't all lost.  I DID have a longer pier.  THAT was a goal.

However, I have to weigh always running 7's for attaining a longer pier, thereby, greater endurance versus changing it up so my only source for, and gauge of, improvement is not more green dots.  So, I'll probably run 4 on Friday.  I'd like to run 2.5 miles as the pier.

-30-

This morning, I went to the gym.  Fewer people are showing up, these days.  Today was around 17 people.  Back in mid-June, it was probably 25.  Makes it easier to justify staying with 10,000 cases in Texas reported yesterday.

I increased the weight and decreased the reps, today.  Reps are now 3 of 6-8 with a little more weight, from 3 of 10-12.  I also worked on doing no weight squats.  The muscles attached to the hip bones are tight and/or underworked.  That particular goal is to be able to go all the way down, then stand up.  To start, I grabbed onto a leg of a, best described as, beefed up A-frame that looks like a kids swing set, but much, much sturdier.  For example, a 5 feet long boxing bag is attached to it. 

Enjoyed it.  Thanks for stopping by.
I love your pier analogy.  I can picture in my mind exactly what your graph is showing.

And I get you about stopping and then getting started again.  That's why I try never to take a walking break until I'm finished.  I may jog just as slow as I would if I were walking but once I change to a walk I really struggle to get going.  

I think the hip tightness you're describing is tight hip flexors.  When Sara was coaching us she often had us working on our hip flexors...and trying to wake up our glutes!  You might try google some stretches that would improve your flexibility in that area.

Nice run in those conditions BTW.
ounce wrote:Gym again.  Increased weights on a couple of machines to try to get to the 6 rep max amount, while still maintaining correct form.  Correct form = less injuries.

Also, doing fewer reps means I have more time!  There are a couple of people at the gym that do pull ups as part of their workout.  So I watch what other machines they do and determine if I can include that into my routine or substitute it on a different day.

When I watch 2 specific people doing pull ups, I'm like, 'this might take longer than 3 years.'  But that's 3 years down the road and I can do a lot in that time span.  Much of what I learned on the earlier linked website is what they do or a variation of such.

Running tomorrow.  Today, we have a heat index of 105-110 ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND it's national ice cream month!
Glad the gym is still an option for you.  I can't do a pull up.  I don't think I ever could.  I looked at our video link and we do many of those exercises.  And I've done pull ups with a band like it shows.  I could probably work my way up to doing a pull up but I'm not sure that it's a priority for me.  Good luck!

National Ice Cream Month.  Woohoo.  I made plans to meet Katie at the ice cream shop on July 14th when I drive over for my appointment with Dr. B.  I'll have to figure out a way to share some ice cream with Mom as well. 

Sorry I haven't dropped in more often...I enjoy following your progress. 

Stay safe in the heat...and stay away from those COVID bugs!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:18 pm

Thanks, Nancy.  Yes, the hip flexors are something that I stretch at the gym.  I don't stretch or warm up before a run.  I just walk the short distance (maybe 0.05 miles) to my start line and go.  I have been known to stretch before a run in the teens and it's just the hip flexors.

Just in the past year have I really enjoyed weights and it's all because I came up with a non-running related goal.  The dreaded pull up.  My arch enemy in elementary school.  I could only do 1 my entire elementary school career.  And I think the teacher felt sorry for me on that 1.  It was a weight thing because of a love for my mom's cooking and to do my job of finishing off some food items because there wasn't enough for a serving of leftovers.  And I hated PE.

If I had to do it over again, I'd do track & field.  Try to do cross country, but I didn't have that skinny kid physique, but could have done well.  Not too many that would do cross country and shotput/discus.

When I was researching exercises for the pull up, the primary muscles used are the biceps and the lats.  It said that you need big biceps to do a pull up.  Big biceps, eh?  Do I have to?  DURN the luck!

When I can do a bicep curl of Miche1e's weight (125 lbs or so), I'll announce it.  I have quite a ways to go.  Maybe in a year.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:06 pm

ounce wrote:Thanks, Nancy.  Yes, the hip flexors are something that I stretch at the gym.  I don't stretch or warm up before a run.  I just walk the short distance (maybe 0.05 miles) to my start line and go.  I have been known to stretch before a run in the teens and it's just the hip flexors.

Just in the past year have I really enjoyed weights and it's all because I came up with a non-running related goal.  The dreaded pull up.  My arch enemy in elementary school.  I could only do 1 my entire elementary school career.  And I think the teacher felt sorry for me on that 1.  It was a weight thing because of a love for my mom's cooking and to do my job of finishing off some food items because there wasn't enough for a serving of leftovers.  And I hated PE.

If I had to do it over again, I'd do track & field.  Try to do cross country, but I didn't have that skinny kid physique, but could have done well.  Not too many that would do cross country and shotput/discus.

When I was researching exercises for the pull up, the primary muscles used are the biceps and the lats.  It said that you need big biceps to do a pull up.  Big biceps, eh?  Do I have to?  DURN the luck!

When I can do a bicep curl of Miche1e's weight (125 lbs or so), I'll announce it.  I have quite a ways to go.  Maybe in a year.
I did go out for track & field.  I was a state placer in shot put...the smallest girl on the podium.  Razz I was required to run in at least one event each week.  I chose the 880 which was the longest event available to girls at the time.  I came in 2nd to last once.  Every other time I was last. I also played volley ball.  If we didn't play sports we had to go home and work on the farm.  It was more fun to socialize with my friends even if I had to run.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:41 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Thanks, Nancy.  Yes, the hip flexors are something that I stretch at the gym.  I don't stretch or warm up before a run.  I just walk the short distance (maybe 0.05 miles) to my start line and go.  I have been known to stretch before a run in the teens and it's just the hip flexors.

I did go out for track & field.  I was a state placer in shot put...the smallest girl on the podium.  Razz I was required to run in at least one event each week.  I chose the 880 which was the longest event available to girls at the time.  I came in 2nd to last once.  Every other time I was last. I also played volley ball.  If we didn't play sports we had to go home and work on the farm.  It was more fun to socialize with my friends even if I had to run.
I was a trainer and Head Trainer for my junior and senior years.  7 letters.  3 in track, 2 in bball, and 2 in football.  Could've gotten a scholarship, too, but with the cocky way high school football players were, college could only be worse.  So, I didn't pursue it.

-30-

Another 80 degree morning, here in the Bayou City.  I decided to run 4 miles, just to see if I could maybe do it a little faster and the pier a little longer.  164 cadence.

4 miles, 57:25, 14:19, 134 avg bpm, 154 max bpm, 155 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length
1.  14:12, 120 bpm, 161 spm, 71 sl
2.  13:39, 135 bpm, 158 spm, 75 sl
3.  14:47, 137 bpm, 151 spm, 75 sl
4.  14:40, 142 bpm, 149 spm, 72 sl

HR zones
Term Limits? - Page 39 CQTX04yq4BQAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

HR zones
Zone 4 144-154 bpm
zone 3 126-143 bpm
zone 2 108-125 bpm

Term Limits? - Page 39 1IyDa7fR+ffAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Well, I did better.  I thought I carried the 164 cadence closer to mile 2, but it would appear I was wrong.  A shorter distance helps on thick air days.  I had no muscle soreness from being at the gym, this week.

10.4 miles for the week.  Y'all have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:33 am

Sounds like in your position as a trainer you got the social benefits of high school sports.  I think that's what high school sports should be all about.  And I agree that some of those high school athletes especially football players on the varsity level can be pretty cocky...along with the cheerleaders.  It's funny how they acted the same at the 10 year reunion but as we all age those cocky jocks are overweight and divorced just like the nerds.

I've been running in the "heat" more than ever before this summer but I'm still amazed that you're able to run in the heat/humidity in your area.   Shocked  Pace and cadence aren't really important in those conditions.  It's more about time on your feet and staying safe. 

Glad you're enjoying the gym and aren't to sore to run.  

Carry on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:43 pm

I enjoyed being a trainer and had I talked to the trainers at TCU about the cocky football players, they probably would've said that doesn't happen and I would've seriously considered getting a scholarship, even though science wasn't my forte.  I liked the medical aspect, which I've continued to keep curious about.

And you're spot on about high school reunions.

-30-

This morning it was another 80 degree morning.  In an effort to extend the length of the pier during a long run, I decided to reduce the cadence from 164 to 160.

7 miles, 1:40:32, 14:21 pace, 137 avg bpm, 161 max bpm, 153 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length.
1.  14:36, 119 bpm, 159 spm, 69 sl
2.  13:57, 130 bpm, 160 spm, 73 sl
3.  13:57, 139 bpm, 159 spm, 73 sl
4.  13:58, 141 bpm, 153 spm, 75 sl
5.  14:33, 146 bpm, 151 spm, 72 sl
6.  14:43, 143 bpm, 146 spm, 75 sl
7.  14:43, 144 bpm, 147 spm, 73 sl

HR zones
zone 4  144-161 bpm
zone 3  126-143 bpm
zone 2  108-125 bpm

Term Limits? - Page 39 GeT5giNeUrmVwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Term Limits? - Page 39 A5Nc4VdOAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
A 3.29 mile pier.  The red dots after was due to going under a railroad trestle.  So the pace slowed on the way up.  You'll note the HR was higher than past runs at 164 cadence.  Why? you ask.  Well, I figure my heart had had it too easy for too long.  Running longer at a ~160 cadence caused the heart to work harder and at a higher HR.  That's fine.  The overall run wasn't too bad, except when I fell at mile 6.5.  Received a big bobo on that.

I was fearful that 160 would be too slow a cadence to return to 164 in the Fall, but I think it'll be fine, now that I've done it once.

On the medical front, the return trip today caused 2 injuries that won't affect running.

The first one (keep in mind I'm on blood thinners) occurred as I brushed by a rose bush.  Ten minutes later, I noticed my right ring finger had a trail of blood running to the tip.  Evidently, I hit a thorn.  The bleeding didn't stop for an hour, including the 30 minutes after the run.

The second one at mile 6.5 was a fall that I wasn't expecting.  I guess a couple of long weeds grabbed my shoe, as I stepped up off the street to a sidewalk, over a strip of grass.  I fell onto my upper, left forearm (the fleshy part) and my torso rolled my forearm against the sidewalk.  Annnnnnd what does a runner do, once no major injury has occurred?  STOP THE WATCH!  cyclops

I have never seen a bruise blow up as fast as this one.  But it had very minimal bleeding, which was a surprise.  My rolling my torso over the forearm was like a rolling pin on biscuit dough.  There was zero bruising on the bones and my forearm looks like Popeye's.  I could post a picture taken about 30 minutes after the incident.

I think I'll not do any weight lifting, this week, with the arms.  Back in February, when I had the gigantic bruise, I had worked out the day before I checked in the hospital.  Even though it's different, it has my respect.

Thanks for reading.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next