365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails for Two

+5
They call me MISTER Fluff
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
9 posters

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Trails for Two - Page 35 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:14 pm

Low HR Run: 2.28 miles with Alita

Weather: Partly cloudy, pleasant and breezy. 67° Gear: Topos, T, shorts.

Out for an after-work run with Alita. We walked more than usual in the warmup (I wasn't feeling peppy) but cruised at a nice 11:22 pace in the second mile. My HR is coming up more slowly than before and holding more steady. I'm hopeful that it means my mitochondria are starting to wake up again.

Two miles was just about right for today.

Average HR for entire run: 112

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:06 pm

Barefoot run: 3.32 miles

Weather: Overcast, cool, breezy. Mid-50s. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T.

I squeezed in a run at lunch today and my feet were itching to frolic naked (or is that nekkid?) in the streets of Vancouver. 

The run went well. I got a couple of fun looks and only one stupid attempt at humor ("You forgot your SHOES!"), so it was solid. I tended to run a bit faster than I'd intended, with a higher heart rate, but not as fast as I have been doing gat lunch. 

Average HR for entire run: 135. Walked last 5 minutes

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:26 pm

Trail Run: 5.31 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, a brief shower, but nice. 57° Gear: Topo Fli-lytes, shorts, T. (chilled at first but warmed up)

We were going to hit the greenway, but it looked packed again, so we went ot the woods. Much less crowded, but we had a couple of obnoxious dog owners ignoring the leash rule. Sigh. The run itself was good, and Alita made it up more hills than pretty much ever before. Nicely done!

My Garmin is doing weird things now. Even with the battery change in the strap, it was giving me weird HR data -- like 75 bpm and falling going uphill? Hm. No. I'm washing the strap and resetting the device. Hope that helps. 

Walked first and last 5 minutes

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:08 pm

Mark B wrote:Trail Run: 5.31 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, a brief shower, but nice. 57° Gear: Topo Fli-lytes, shorts, T. (chilled at first but warmed up)

We were going to hit the greenway, but it looked packed again, so we went ot the woods. Much less crowded, but we had a couple of obnoxious dog owners ignoring the leash rule. Sigh. The run itself was good, and Alita made it up more hills than pretty much ever before. Nicely done!

My Garmin is doing weird things now. Even with the battery change in the strap, it was giving me weird HR data -- like 75 bpm and falling going uphill? Hm. No. I'm washing the strap and resetting the device. Hope that helps. 

Are you still using your old 305?  I finally gave up on mine.  I had it refurbished once but the battery wouldn't hold a charge long enough for a marathon.  My HR strap still seemed to be working OK.  Love my new 920!  The HR strap is much more comfortable.  I'm still getting used to all the features and probably won't ever fully utilize them but it's providing the data that I need/want.

Sounds like Alita is making good progress...you'll be struggling to keep up soon. Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:53 pm

nkrichards wrote:

Are you still using your old 305?  I finally gave up on mine.  I had it refurbished once but the battery wouldn't hold a charge long enough for a marathon.  My HR strap still seemed to be working OK.  Love my new 920!  The HR strap is much more comfortable.  I'm still getting used to all the features and probably won't ever fully utilize them but it's providing the data that I need/want.

Sounds like Alita is making good progress...you'll be struggling to keep up soon. Running
FINALLY, your 305 is acting like my old 305 and present 220.  (Psst...getting a new strap won't help long term, but go ahead and get one just on the faint hope that it's because it's a Texas thang.)

With regard to the 'leash rules,' are you saying the dogs didn't have their pets on a leash and their pets were being obnoxious?  

Alita will cause the struggling and she'll speed off, pretending not to hear Mark's request to slow down.  "Did you say something, dear?  Did you say, 'Mow, 'em down?'"
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:56 pm

nkrichards wrote:

I am still using the ol' 305. I got one of those brand new softer straps a while back, and it's much nicer. But this latest glitch has me scratching my head. I swapped out the battery and it didn't fix it. Perhaps the receiver in the 305 itself is starting to get wonky? I don't know.

The upside is, we have TWO of the little buggers. I got one for Alita years ago, but she decided to not use it -- watching numbers does weird things to her psyche -- so I've been using them both. I switched to the one I'm using now when the other one's battery started losing its charge (I think), so if this unit craps out, I may be out of luck.

Alita is making good progress. And while I'm faster than her running, she can leave me in the dust walking. 

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

FINALLY, your 305 is acting like my old 305 and present 220.  (Psst...getting a new strap won't help long term, but go ahead and get one just on the faint hope that it's because it's a Texas thang.)

With regard to the 'leash rules,' are you saying the dogs didn't have their pets on a leash and their pets were being obnoxious?  

Alita will cause the struggling and she'll speed off, pretending not to hear Mark's request to slow down.  "Did you say something, dear?  Did you say, 'Mow, 'em down?'"

The leash issue was that the dogs were supposed to have their owners on leash. Several owners were walking around untethered, and they got smug and/or lippy when that was pointed out to them. Perhaps we should have brought it up with the dogs. Would have had a better response.

It's a serious thing in that park, since it's a multi use trail with mountain bikers, walkers, runners and horses. A couple of horse riders were thrown a year or two ago due to dogs. One had a broken back, the other a concussion that knocked her out. The dog owners responsible took off without rendering assistance, of course. People. Ugh.

Mow 'em down, indeed. 

Anyway, I'm hoping a hard reset will help on the 305. The GPS still works fine, and the battery holds up, so we'll see. I'd rather keep an eye on the HR, but maybe not so much as to plunk down several hundred bucks for the privilege. Especially with a kid who needs driving lessons... and a college education before too long.

Money

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 04, 2018 10:45 pm

Barefoot Run: 2.4 miles with Alita

Weather: Clear and nice. 64° Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T.

Out for a post-work barefoot jaunt with Alita. She's able to handle a bit over two miles now before her feet start feeling too tender. Making great progress. The route we're taking is more varied than my old laps around the block routine, so it's a nice exercise. Got a good reaction from a little kid asking Daddy why we weren't wearing shoes. "Because it's fun," he said. :-)

Switched Garmins to see if the error is in the strap or the unit. It looks to be a strap thing. My HR was elevated on the device for about 7 minutes, then it settled down. Unlike last time, my HR did not plummet after a while. So... well, I have no idea. Guess I'll keep trying it.

Walked about 5 minutes after. Average HR for entire run: 123

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun May 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Low HR Run: 6 miles with Alita

Weather: Sunny and surprisingly warm. 74° Gear: Topos, shorts, T (shed for last couple of miles)

We decided to go for pavement today rather than trails and ran in the Salmon Creek Greenway as we begin to gently ramp up the weekend distance. We didn't expect that it'd be so warm and sunny when we were doing it. We were able to tank up on water at the turnaround point, but otherwise ran without fluids. It meant we had to take a few walking breaks along the way to keep the effort level even.

It was so warm that we even stripped off our shirts for the last couple of miles. It felt so nice with a breeze on the skin, though the glare was probably pretty significant. ;-)

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 129

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon May 07, 2018 11:46 am

Pleased that your Garmin got with the program, at least for the time being.

As far as the glare, it'll teach people to bring their sunglasses or go shirtless as a defensive step.

Ultreya fannies!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon May 07, 2018 12:03 pm

Looks like you and Alita have both done some nice runs lately.  It appears that you're in training mode again. Very Happy

Enjoy the weather...on the days that it's nice...  It's typical Spring here.  Lovely one day and horrendous the next!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 09, 2018 11:20 pm

ounce wrote:Pleased that your Garmin got with the program, at least for the time being.

As far as the glare, it'll teach people to bring their sunglasses or go shirtless as a defensive step.

Ultreya fannies!

Yep! Those new Garmins are spendy. I'll put it off as long as possible. As far as the glare goes, nobody seemed blinded or shocked, so that was nice.

nkrichards wrote:Looks like you and Alita have both done some nice runs lately.  It appears that you're in training mode again. Very Happy

Enjoy the weather...on the days that it's nice...  It's typical Spring here.  Lovely one day and horrendous the next!

We are training. I'm using Hal's intermediate half marathon program for the long run buildup for the 25K we're doing in July. It's not a perfect fit, but it'll do. 

We're still working on getting our midweek runs going, but we're trying. 

Weather has been pretty nice here lately. A little rain, but just enough to allow me to not start up the sprinklers yet.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 09, 2018 11:20 pm

Low HR Run: 2.4 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, mild. 64° Gear: Topos, shorts, T.

Out for an after-work run with Alita. We kept it short and relaxed. My HR strap seems to be behaving now, and I think the lower HR workouts are starting to have an impact. We also stopped a couple of times just to enjoy the evening.

Walked first 6, last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 111

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun May 13, 2018 3:25 pm

Single track adventure with Alita: 5.07 miles

Weather: Sunny and warm. Gear: Terraventures, shorts, T, hat. Carried nuun in handheld.

Out for a Mother's Day ramble with Alita in our neighborhood forest park, and we amped up the interest by diving off the main trails and spending most of the time exploring some very nice single track through the woods. Our knees are still tingling from close encounters with stinging nettles, but that was the only downside. We had a lot of fun and managed to avoid the hordes of people out for a Mother's Day walk. 

I didn't pay attention to pace - you couldn't really go fast on some of those narrow trails - but my HR was right where it should be to get the maximum benefit out of the run.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 127

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon May 14, 2018 11:15 am

Mark B wrote:Single track adventure with Alita: 5.07 miles

Weather: Sunny and warm. Gear: Terraventures, shorts, T, hat. Carried nuun in handheld.

Out for a Mother's Day ramble with Alita in our neighborhood forest park, and we amped up the interest by diving off the main trails and spending most of the time exploring some very nice single track through the woods. Our knees are still tingling from close encounters with stinging nettles, but that was the only downside. We had a lot of fun and managed to avoid the hordes of people out for a Mother's Day walk. 

I didn't pay attention to pace - you couldn't really go fast on some of those narrow trails - but my HR was right where it should be to get the maximum benefit out of the run.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 127

Sounds like the perfect way to spend Mother's Day and a great training run for Mt. Hood...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed May 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Mark - must be something in the name.

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2018/05/30-years-sub-300-marathons-despite-setback-boston-mark-cucuzzella-looking-extend-epic-streak/
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed May 16, 2018 10:48 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Mark - must be something in the name.

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2018/05/30-years-sub-300-marathons-despite-setback-boston-mark-cucuzzella-looking-extend-epic-streak/

Interesting...talk about coincidences...Mark...Maffetone...barefoot...running sandals

It's eerily funny!  And he's obviously successful.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 16, 2018 11:50 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Mark - must be something in the name.

Nancy wrote:Interesting...talk about coincidences...Mark...Maffetone...barefoot...running sandals

It's eerily funny!  And he's obviously successful.

This is my kind of guy! Though I wish I had the biomechanics to be able to run that fast, even once! 

Cool that he uses Maffetone's principles, AND runs barefoot. This stuff works, folks! Honest! Approval

Last edited by Mark B on Wed May 16, 2018 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 16, 2018 11:50 pm

Easy run with Alita: 3.37 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild. 63° Gear: Topos, shorts, T.

Out for an after-work run with Alita, still trying to make it a habit. This was a good run. It felt easy and comfortable at the beginning, and I noticed we kept pressing the pace as we progressed. Our last mile was the fastest of the run. It wasn't entirely a low HR run, but that's okay.

Walked first 7 minutes, last 5. Average HR for entire run: 126

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 17, 2018 10:52 pm

Barefoot run: 1.7 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, 61° Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T.

Out for a barefoot jaunt with Alita on a variety of surfaces, broadening our feet's sensory diet. We kept the pace easy, though we goosed it in the last 50 yards or so, dropping down to a sub-9 pace, briefly. That was fun.

Didn't walk before or after. Average HR for entire run: 131

--

Also walked 3 miles at lunch today. The river is seriously swollen with snowmelt, and part of the riverside path I take was under water. Luckily, it was right at my turnaround point.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun May 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Trail Run: 7.47 miles with Alita

Weather: Partly cloudy, mild. 56-64° Gear: Terraventures, shorts, T, hat, handheld with nuun. Took half a larabar 1 hour in.

Slowly ramping up the weekend miles, and focusing on the less-used side trails to avoid horses, dogs, people. Much more pleasant that way, though there remain more than a few stinging nettles out there to zap you. Alita also got scratched up a bit on a berry vine. Still, it beats the crowds, and the trail surface is much more pleasant.

The single track trails slow us down a bit, but that's okay. Time on feet is what really matters at this point.

Walked first and last 5 minutes or so. Average HR for entire run: 126

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun May 20, 2018 10:39 pm

Looks like you're progressing nicely.  I'm betting those single track trails are just what you need to prepare for Mt. Hood.

We've had nice weather with some powerful thunderstorms mixed in just for fun.  Have they made it over your way?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun May 20, 2018 11:05 pm

nkrichards wrote:Looks like you're progressing nicely.  I'm betting those single track trails are just what you need to prepare for Mt. Hood.

We've had nice weather with some powerful thunderstorms mixed in just for fun.  Have they made it over your way?

No thunderstorms, unfortunately. They're fun to be around. We experienced some Midwest ones a few years ago, and nothing else has compared since.

We're making progress on the long runs. Today's run was half the distance of our race. The single track offers lots of roots, which is great practice for running mindfully, which will be very helpful on parts of that course at Mount Hood. The roots there are sneaky and dangerous. affraid

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 25, 2018 9:56 am

Slightly derailed this week, due to science project madness, work chaos, a tweaked ankle (Alita) and tetanus-shot requiring big toe puncture wound (me), so we haven't had the chance/ability to run since Sunday. We both have done some walking, though. We'll test things out this weekend. Should be better.

So, the puncture wound. Doing the science project out on the patio, I wasn't wearing shoes and apparently came across a piece of old grill brush that was had gotten caught between the pavers on our patio. The metal splinter was 3/8 inch long and hurt like the dickens when I realized somehting was there and yanked it out the next morning. I was amazed at how long it was. It barely bled at all. I consulted with the doc, and they said get a tetanus booster. It's fine now, but sheesh.

We think Alita tweaked her inner ankle on a root last Sunday, though there wasn't a big injury moment, just a near trip. She's been icing it, and hopefully that'll help it resolve quickly.

Safe to say, we're not planning on winning this 25K. We just want to be able to enjoy it.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat May 26, 2018 10:14 am

Mark B wrote:Slightly derailed this week, due to science project madness, work chaos, a tweaked ankle (Alita) and tetanus-shot requiring big toe puncture wound (me), so we haven't had the chance/ability to run since Sunday. We both have done some walking, though. We'll test things out this weekend. Should be better.

So, the puncture wound. Doing the science project out on the patio, I wasn't wearing shoes and apparently came across a piece of old grill brush that was had gotten caught between the pavers on our patio. The metal splinter was 3/8 inch long and hurt like the dickens when I realized somehting was there and yanked it out the next morning. I was amazed at how long it was. It barely bled at all. I consulted with the doc, and they said get a tetanus booster. It's fine now, but sheesh.

We think Alita tweaked her inner ankle on a root last Sunday, though there wasn't a big injury moment, just a near trip. She's been icing it, and hopefully that'll help it resolve quickly.

Safe to say, we're not planning on winning this 25K. We just want to be able to enjoy it.

Life does sometimes get in the way doesn't it.

Why am I not surprised that your injury happened while you were barefoot? Laughing

Hope you're both back on the trails and feeling better this weekend. 

Enjoying an event...as opposed to winning it...is a very good goal.  One which I'm trying to embrace as well.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun May 27, 2018 5:29 pm

Trail Run: 8.6 miles with Alita

Weather: Sunny and pleasant in the shade. 70° Gear: Terraventures, shorts, T, handheld with nuun. 1.5 larabars

We'd meant to get started a little earlier but got sidetracked, so I guess it makes sense that we ran almost exclusively on primitive side trails rather than the main routes through the park. It's quieter, with fewer people - though more stinging nettle. Still, it's totally worth it. It's beautiful in there, and the trails are quite nice.

We stopped and refilled bottles and took fuel after the first hour, then had a smaller snack about an hour later. That helps keep things moving on an even keel.

Average HR for entire run: 125

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next