365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Comes Next

+17
mul21
JohnP
Schuey
nkrichards
Jerry
Michael Enright
Nick Morris
dot520
charles.moman
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
wendy_miller
T Miller
Julie
ounce
Mark B
21 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

What Comes Next  - Page 16 Empty Re: What Comes Next

Post  Nick Morris Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:17 pm

Good run Mark...way to get it in. Hopefully the longer days will help us all get in more weeknight runs. Good luck with your 20 miler...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:46 pm

Julie wrote:I hope the 20 miler goes well.

I'm sorry to read about your parents...I so dread the day I lose my mom; she and I are very close.  My uncle passed away at age 50 (dad's bro.). Life is so fragile.

True that, Julie. And thanks for the thoughts. I hope you and your mom have many more years together. Smile

Nick Morris wrote:Good run Mark...way to get it in.  Hopefully the longer days will help us all get in more weeknight runs.  Good luck with your 20 miler...

Thanks, Nick. I'm more than a week away from that first 20 - I get to do a lazy 10 tomorrow - but I'm looking forward to getting those long runs going. After I hit 20 on the roads, and when weather permits, my plan is to take those long runs to the trails.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:01 am

Sure glad I don't have to worry about the rain as much as you do...not sure I'd get in nearly as many miles if I had to run in the rain.  The weather definitely has been interesting this year.  I'm just glad we haven't had the extreme cold and snow that other areas have been dealing with. 

Looks like your increasing your mileage...enjoy that 20 miler this week.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:50 pm

nkrichards wrote:Sure glad I don't have to worry about the rain as much as you do...not sure I'd get in nearly as many miles if I had to run in the rain.  The weather definitely has been interesting this year.  I'm just glad we haven't had the extreme cold and snow that other areas have been dealing with. 

Looks like your increasing your mileage...enjoy that 20 miler this week.

Hi, Nancy! Thanks for the good wishes, but that 20-miler is actually NEXT week. (And a good thing, too, when you see how well my 8-mile stepback run went today.)

We have heavy rain showers passing through the area today. I managed to avoid rain today, which was nice, though a dark cloud was on an intercept course in the last half mile of my run. As I was doing my cool-down stretches, the sky opened up.

Of course, there are benefits of rain...

What Comes Next  - Page 16 17818510

An old farmhouse has been growing daffodils for years. Every year, they put up a sign, 50 cents per dozen. I think they collect it all by honor system, with a Mason jar on the back porch. Pretty neat.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:51 pm

Low HR Run: 8 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy/sunny, kinda windy. 51 degrees. Gear: Altras, T, shorts, jacket (stowed when wind was at back). Fuel: Tool Gu at turnaround. Nuun in handheld.

I debated 8 or 10 miles and decided on 8 for time reasons (and because the training plan I'm sort of following suggests it). Glad I did. My legs felt heavy and sluggish throughout, and I never really got into a good rhythm. I plugged along, though, and my pace was actually not too horrible. So that's not bad.

I also got that nice photo of daffodils. And moved a recently killed squirrel out of the middle of the road so it didn't get pancaked.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 134
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:43 am

Sounds like it was a good thing that this week was a step back week...good luck on the 20 next week.  Smile 

Glad you're enjoying the daffodils.  Mom's (in Sandy) are in full bloom.  We have a few early crocus bulbs blooming but the daffodils are barely breaking ground.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:42 pm

Thanks, Nancy!

The crocuses in our neighbor's yard are a riot of color right now. Very pretty. And a welcome change.

To all those living to the east of us: Take heart -- spring will find you.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:44 pm

Walk: About 4 miles

Weather: Gorgeous! Sunny, cool, breezy. 48 degrees.

I finally got a Tuesday without impingement on my lunchtime (or craptastic weather), just as we have one of the prettiest pre-spring days of the year. Bright sun, cool temperatures, crisp breeze. Wild horses couldn't keep me in the office today.

I headed out on my longest possible lunchtime route, out along the Columbia River (sparkling in the sunlight) and down to the edge of the old Kaiser Shipyards, which are still bustling with activity nearly 70 years after they stopped churning out liberty ships and baby flattops in World War II.

I had a tailwind on the way, which got me out of my jacket after a mile or so, and I was moving so well when I turned back into the wind that I kept it off. I got up to a decent clip, so avoiding overheating in my work clothes was a good thing. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:12 pm

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles

Weather: Sunny, frosty. 33 degrees. Gear: Bare feet, tights, T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves. Fuel: Grape Nuts and coffee for breakfast. Nothing during run.

A beautiful frosty morning. I slightly overdressed to shunt excess heat to my toes and headed out for a bunch of laps around the block. I felt out of synch at first until I turned and put the rising sun at my back and noticed my shadow -- and how tense my upper body appeared. I consciously relaxed my shoulders and arms - and watched my heart rate drop, and a sense of fluidity return. It was a great feeling.

The rest of the run was quite good. I kept thinking about keeping my motion relaxed and smooth, not choppy, and it helped. (Funny how much easier it is to do that barefoot than while in shoes.) My paces and heart rates were startlingly good -- sub-10 the whole time, faster each mile, which only the last mile creeping above my target as I tried to inch up the speed a little.

Average HR for entire run: 136
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:17 pm

Low HR Run: 6.28 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, coolish. 46 degrees. Gear: Altras, shorts, long-sleeved T. Fuel: Mid-morning snack before. Water during.

Out in the country this morning. I debated between about 5 or 6 miles and opted for the slightly longer run. I know I still need to hold a back a little on these midweek runs to make sure I'm fresh enough for the longer back-to-backs on Sunday and Monday.

My legs have been feeling a little creaky lately as I play with different foot conditions and intensities, but I was pleased to see my first two miles after my warm-up in the very low 10s. Okay, the HR was a bit too high on the second one, but it was nice to see my legs wanting to lock into a pace. I eased back in the next mile and didn't slow down all that much, which was encouraging. I'll need to do another MAF test one of these Sundays to see how the mitrochondria are building. Smile

Another nice thing about this run was that, despite the slightly higher HR at some points during the run, my HR fell quickly in my cool-down walk and ended up noticeably lower than usual when I hit stop.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 134
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:29 pm

Low HR Run: 4.5 miles in Lunas

Weather: Sunny with big poofy clouds, 53. Gear: Luna Monos, shorts, T. Fuel: Nothing before or during.

I stalled just long enough to let a series of showers pass through the area, leaving me bright sun, wet pavement and towering clouds moving off into the distance. I decided to run in my Lunas, seeing if I can figure out how to run in them properly -- getting the most out of the near-barefoot experience. I hadn't quite figured out the landing, and I think I have been unconsciously punching down. Either that, or I haven't been letting my foot relax enough to have my heel touch before liftoff. Or both.

So, relaxation was the name of the game. I must have done something right, because I was astounded to see that my heart rate was holding unusually steady throughout the run. There was some drift, but not much. And my paces seemed pretty decent, too, considering I'm still figuring out how to run in these things. But I seem to be learning more with each outing.

By the time I was done, I was extremely pleased and kind of excited. My initial instincts were correct: these new sandals really DO work for running!  Very Happy 

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 131
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:19 pm

Sounds like an encouraging run.  Glad you were able to dodge the worst of the rain showers.  Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks, Nancy! I don't always get lucky like that, but I like it when I do.

And those doppler radar apps for the iPhone? They come in very handy.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Low HR Run: 8.25 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild, a little drizzle. 53 degrees. Gear: Altras, shorts, T, jacket, hat (stowed). Fuel: Oatmeal and coffee before, nothing during.

Met up with my training partner for a run in the Salmon Creek Greenway. We went out easy, and I was surprised to see how low my heart rate was for much of the run. I had several miles with an average HR of 132-133, well below my target of 138ish. Our pace was a bit slower, of course, but it felt very relaxed and easy. That bodes well for my 20 tomorrow.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 129 (!)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:30 pm

Looks like you are getting some spring early, wish we could say that with this long brutal winter we've had. Anyway nice runs, keep it up!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:09 pm

fostever wrote:Looks like you are getting some spring early, wish we could say that with this long brutal winter we've had. Anyway nice runs, keep it up!

Thanks, Steven! We got some unsettled spring-like weather today when I was out on my 20... nothing like getting pelted with hail for a few minutes. Luckily, it was Pacific Northwest hail (about the size of a BB) rather than what folks get back east.  Shocked 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:09 pm

Long Run: 20.27 miles

Weather: Yes! Lots of it. Sun, rain, wind, hail. 41-49 degrees. Gear: Altras, shorts, long-sleeved T, jacket/vest. Fuel: Double dose of Grape Nuts for breakfast, coffee. On run: Half pack of granola bars at 90, 2:30; Gu at 2:00, 3:00; E-Caps on the hour. 3.5 bottles of nuun.

First 20-miler of this cycle. I had some wild spring weather for it, which had me alternating between being overheated or chilled to the bone. I even got caught in a brief hailstorm! Ah, March.

The run got a bit challenging in the last few miles, but the first 16 miles or so were surprisingly good. I focused on staying relaxed, and was pleased to see my body going along with the plan. My HR was at or below my target rate up through Mile 16, then it started to edge up as fatigue built. Not surprising.

Fueling went well, with some solid as well as liquid food. I could tell that I was getting into bonk territory a couple of times right before feeding time, so I was motivated to not forget.

Sore ankles and lower legs afterward, but not terribly so.

Now that I've gotten a road 20 out of the way, I'll start thinking more about working in extended trail runs.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 136
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:52 pm

Nifty job, Mark.  Always glad to see you persevere, especially when I don't have to and can watch from the temperature-controlled desk. What a Face 

Euell Gibbons would be pleased and proud.  Did you know he's a native Texan?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:04 pm

ounce wrote:Nifty job, Mark.  Always glad to see you persevere, especially when I don't have to and can watch from the temperature-controlled desk. What a Face 

Euell Gibbons would be pleased and proud.  Did you know he's a native Texan?

I did not know that, but I do remember his commercials.

I forgot that they used him because he was a big natural foods advocate (though natural food folks now tend to turn their nose up at Grape Nuts, which is highly processed), but it makes sense. I also can't get his "Ever eat a pine tree? Many parts are edible" line out of my head.

Thanks on the run. The first 20-miler after a break is always the toughest. My plan is to do another 20, then step back, then keep at the double-hard/easy routine up through 22, 24 and 26. That'll put me right on track for the race on June 14.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:11 pm

Congrats on the 20 miler!
'
Grape nuts just sound good, especially hot but I think I've mentioned that before.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:28 pm

Julie wrote:Congrats on the 20 miler!
'
Grape nuts just sound good, especially hot but I think I've mentioned that before.

Thanks! Good to be back up that that distance.

Never tried Grape Nuts hot; I'll have to do it sometime.

You know what's also good? Take a spoon loaded with dark chocolate peanut butter and plunge it into a box of Grape Nuts.

What Comes Next  - Page 16 Pbco-d10

Devour. Repeat. Mmm.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:23 am

Mark B wrote:
Julie wrote:Congrats on the 20 miler!
'

Thanks! Good to be back up that that distance.

Never tried Grape Nuts hot; I'll have to do it sometime.

You know what's also good? Take a spoon loaded with dark chocolate peanut butter and plunge it into a box of Grape Nuts.

What Comes Next  - Page 16 Pbco-d10

Devour. Repeat. Mmm.

So I guess the wife won't (or doesn't) eat Grape Nuts after you've been in the box?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:12 am

ounce wrote:So I guess the wife won't (or doesn't) eat Grape Nuts after you've been in the box?

Why would you think that? Wink

(Actually, the PB is so good at adhering to the cereal, no residue is left behind. Unless I'm clumsy and hit the side of the bag on the way in, of course.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Walk: 2.2 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, a little breezy, mild. 48 degrees.

I am feeling my 20-miler yesterday -- both in my legs and my body (which feels depleted) -- so I was hopeful that a short walk at lunch would help get the blood flowing and speed recovery. It wasn't very uncomfortable, but it was all general aches as opposed to any specific sore spot. So I guess that's a good thing.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:27 pm

You have a fun blog, Mark. Chocolate and all that....
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum