365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Comes Next

+17
mul21
JohnP
Schuey
nkrichards
Jerry
Michael Enright
Nick Morris
dot520
charles.moman
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
wendy_miller
T Miller
Julie
ounce
Mark B
21 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

What Comes Next  - Page 15 Empty Re: What Comes Next

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:23 am

Good run, Mark.  I would actually give a lot for a run on terrain like that right now.  Haven't been able to see too many hills with the weather lately and I hope to drive to Hinckley, OH this weekend for a hilly 20.  The buzzards don't come back for a while.  

http://hinckleytwp.org/content/buzzard-day-history
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:53 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Good run, Mark.  I would actually give a lot for a run on terrain like that right now.  Haven't been able to see too many hills with the weather lately and I hope to drive to Hinckley, OH this weekend for a hilly 20.  The buzzards don't come back for a while.  

http://hinckleytwp.org/content/buzzard-day-history

Nice link! And I'm glad it's later in the month when they arrive. I don't know how motivating it'd be to have flocks of buzzards on the while you're out on a long run.  What a Face 

I was pretty sore after my run yesterday, but I seem to be bouncing back well today.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:24 pm

In past slow, long runs, I would've appreciated a couple of flocks swooping down and picking me up to get me out of the way for slowing down their business.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:51 pm

ounce wrote:In past slow, long runs, I would've appreciated a couple of flocks swooping down and picking me up to get me out of the way for slowing down their business.

Heh. This whole buzzard talk has me thinking about one of the best-titled books on the craziness of ultra running

The book's pretty good, too, though it's more about crazy super-long running events of the past and not the current affinity for hundos and such.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Barefoot Run: About 3 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, wet pavement, mild. 54 degrees. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T.

Out for some barefoot laps on a very mild morning. The run felt pretty good without many kinks or aches from Monday's enhanced long run.

The run ended up abbreviated slightly due to a phone call with unfortunate news that my aunt had passed away and that my stepbrother was in the hospital with a nasty, undiagnosed infection. Good thing I was running laps around the block, because it was a quick trip back home so I could tend to those more important matters.

Average HR for entire run: 137
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:49 pm

Mark B wrote:Barefoot Run: About 3 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, wet pavement, mild. 54 degrees. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T.

Out for some barefoot laps on a very mild morning. The run felt pretty good without many kinks or aches from Monday's enhanced long run.

The run ended up abbreviated slightly due to a phone call with unfortunate news that my aunt had passed away and that my stepbrother was in the hospital with a nasty, undiagnosed infection. Good thing I was running laps around the block, because it was a quick trip back home so I could tend to those more important matters.

Sorry about your aunt Sad and I hope that your stepbrother is going to be ok.

p.s. Can you please send Spring our way??
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:45 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:Barefoot Run: About 3 miles

Sorry about your aunt Sad  and I hope that your stepbrother is going to be ok.

p.s. Can you please send Spring our way??

Thanks, Nick. She was a great lady. We haven't been in contact much over the years, but I have good memories. And we also have a blanket she made for Alec when he was little that remains a prized possession. So he's pretty sad, too.  My stepbrother has had some health problems over the years, but this one was apparently quite scary at first. He seems to be doing better, though, and we're all hoping they get it back all under control again.

As for spring... I'll see what I can do. But do you really want tornadoes? Because you know that's what's coming next.  Neutral 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:20 pm

Mark B wrote:

As for spring... I'll see what I can do. But do you really want tornadoes? Because you know that's what's coming next.  Neutral 

I would take tornadoes over snow any day...

Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:50 pm

Sorry to hear about the family stuff, Mark.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:34 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Can't quite wrap my head around that. But heck, I'd take earthquakes and volcanoes over tornadoes...

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Sorry to hear about the family stuff, Mark.

Thanks, Michele. I appreciate it. I don't know what's an odder thing to ponder -- that my parents' generation is mostly gone, or that my own generation is starting to follow suit.

Last edited by Mark B on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Low HR|Sandals Run: 4.11 miles

Weather: Stormy! Overcast, rainy, wind gusting to 26 mph. 51 degrees. Gear: Luna Mono sandals, shorts, T, jacket, hat.

It's windy and rainy (but not cold) outside, so this morning's run had a nice touch of adventure to it. I decided to really amp up the interest level and test out my new sandals after making some adjustments aimed at keeping my heel from sliding off the back end. I opted to do laps around the block so I could more easily compare effort level and pace with barefoot, and so I could stop and make adjustments -- or bag the experiment if it didn't work.

I did a couple of miles and noticed the heel was still inching back, so I tried a different adjustment and did a couple more miles. The second adjustment seemed to help. I still slipped a bit, but not as much. The fact that the footbed was soaked with rain might or might not have had an impact.

In a nutshell, while running in sandals still feels unlike running barefoot mechanically, the pace and effort level appears to be comparable - at least in this test. I had to deal with lots of wind (which was kind of fun), but I also stopped a couple of times to adjust things that helped keep my HR down.

Anyway, a pretty satisfying experiment. Oh, and one thing for the record. I don't envision these sandals as replacements for barefoot -- I see them as a possible replacement for shoes. Smile

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:20 pm

Tornadoes only last for a few minutes...Snow lasts for months (at least in Madison)
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:39 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Tornadoes only last for  a few minutes...Snow lasts for months (at least in Madison)

Can't argue with that, I suppose. The longest it usually hangs around here is a week, and that takes some pretty unusual conditions.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Can't quite wrap my head around that. But heck, I'd take earthquakes and volcanoes over tornadoes...

Thanks, Michele. I appreciate it. I don't know what's an odder thing to ponder -- that my parents' generation is mostly gone, or that my own generation is starting to follow suit.

Yup, sorry to hear about those kind of issues, Mark.

I only know that I don't want to live as long as my parents had/have.  The mind is just wasting away.  I wonder if I have "DNR after 4/12/2037" tattooed on my chest, would it be legal.

By the way, Nick, the warm air from the Gulf of Mexico contributes to tornados.  I can work on sending Spring up there, as soon as it arrives here.  We are seeing the trees budding out, here.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:51 pm

ounce wrote:

By the way, Nick, the warm air from the Gulf of Mexico contributes to tornados.  I can work on sending Spring up there, as soon as it arrives here.  We are seeing the trees budding out, here.

We just got 4 1/2 inches of snow the other day Sad Good thing I am leaving for Phoenix next Friday Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:32 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I only know that I don't want to live as long as my parents had/have.  The mind is just wasting away.  I wonder if I have "DNR after 4/12/2037" tattooed on my chest, would it be legal.

All our parents have been gone for years now. My stepmother is doing well, which is nice. Even so, it's hard to imagine still having parents when you're up in your 50s. Though I know it's quite common.

Weather-wise, the crocuses are up, and the daffodils are about to bloom. My quaking aspen is putting out those annoying little fuzzy things, trees are starting to bud, and the homeowners association is making noises about inspecting yards and making sure we're living up to their exalted standards.  Suspect 

Yup. Almost spring. At last.

Nick Morris wrote:
ounce wrote:

We just got 4 1/2 inches of snow the other day Sad Good thing I am leaving for Phoenix next Friday Smile

Nice that you have those escape valves for sunbelt getaways. Imagine what it was like for your pioneer ancestors who were stuck up to their navels in snow all winter long.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:29 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

All our parents have been gone for years now. My stepmother is doing well, which is nice. Even so, it's hard to imagine still having parents when you're up in your 50s. Though I know it's quite common.

Weather-wise, the crocuses are up, and the daffodils are about to bloom. My quaking aspen is putting out those annoying little fuzzy things, trees are starting to bud, and the homeowners association is making noises about inspecting yards and making sure we're living up to their exalted standards.  Suspect 

Yup. Almost spring. At last.

Nick Morris wrote:
ounce wrote:

We just got 4 1/2 inches of snow the other day Sad Good thing I am leaving for Phoenix next Friday Smile

Nice that you have those escape valves for sunbelt getaways. Imagine what it was like for your pioneer ancestors who were stuck up to their navels in snow all winter long.
Well, both my parents and both of my inlaws are still living.  My FIL will be 88 on March 15th, and my Dad and MIL will be 82 and my Mom will be 81.  I know I'm not really prepared for the next few years.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:23 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Well, both my parents and both of my inlaws are still living.  My FIL will be 88 on March 15th, and my Dad and MIL will be 82 and my Mom will be 81.  I know I'm not really prepared for the next few years.

It'll be difficult, to be sure. And there's no real way to prepare. But for now, it must be nice having them around. Enjoy them.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:12 pm

Sorry to hear Mark.  I'll be thinking of you and your family.

Dad was 82 when he passed away last month.  He was actually pretty active and more importantly had his mind until the last couple weeks.  Mom and Dad were still living at home until the complications from his surgery required his hospitalization and Mom is now back at home on the farm.  We're lucky my brothers live nearby and are eager to help her.  We moved my Aunt into a memory care facility a couple weeks ago.  She is in her early 90's.  Mom and I went to visit her and that was really tough for my Mom.  Not only did my Aunt talk about Dad as if he were still alive but I could see that Mom was thinking about her future.  Quality of life is definitely more valuable than quantity at this point. 

Thinking of you...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:34 pm

nkrichards wrote:Sorry to hear Mark.  I'll be thinking of you and your family.

Dad was 82 when he passed away last month.  He was actually pretty active and more importantly had his mind until the last couple weeks.  Mom and Dad were still living at home until the complications from his surgery required his hospitalization and Mom is now back at home on the farm.  We're lucky my brothers live nearby and are eager to help her.  We moved my Aunt into a memory care facility a couple weeks ago.  She is in her early 90's.  Mom and I went to visit her and that was really tough for my Mom.  Not only did my Aunt talk about Dad as if he were still alive but I could see that Mom was thinking about her future.  Quality of life is definitely more valuable than quantity at this point. 

Thinking of you...

Thanks, Nancy. And my thoughts go out to all of you who have yet to see that generation slip away and pass on. It's a hard thing, but it can bring out the best in us. Hang in there.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:41 pm

Hill Run: 4.33 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, mild. 52 degrees. Gear: Altras, shorts, T. (and that's it!) Fuel: Nothing during run

This is a step-back week for me in terms of distance, but I'm playing a little with different aspects of my run. Yesterday, I tried out my new sandals. Today, I decided to give it a bit more gas on my hilly route. It's been a while since I've stressed my anaerobic system, and I thought it might not be a bad idea.

I went out on my normal hilly route and let my HR rise higher than usual on the hills rather than shift into granny gear. I didn't do anything like sprint up the hills (I don't know that it'd be possible -- they're pretty steep, and not short) but I ran hard enough to get some good wind-sucking going and boost my heart rate from my normal target of about 138 to peaks as high as 169 on the biggest hill. I tried to recover on the downhills, but that didn't really work very well, so I did walk a little at my turnaround point before heading back and pushing up the hills on the return leg.

Here's a quick look at pace, average and max HR:

Mile 1     12:19     114     153
Mile 2     10:11     150     169
Mile 3     10:33     145     167
Mile 4      9:52     149     164
0.33       16:27     123     166

I don't know that I'd want to do this every week -- I need to train my aerobic fibers to climb hills without the need to suck wind -- but a little stimulus from time to time will probably help.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for the entire run: 137
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Always good to get out of "granny gear" every once in a while.  Although hills probably create enough stress in themselves.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Dave Wolfe wrote:Always good to get out of "granny gear" every once in a while.  Although hills probably create enough stress in themselves.

Hi, Dave! I'd be the first to admit that I've been avoiding significant intensity for several years now. It's not that I don't like going fast or working hard -- though I can't say I necessarily enjoy it, either -- it's just that whenever I've done it in the past, I've ended up broken. Clearly, I'm a danger to myself. I guess I should consider myself lucky that Maffetone-style low-intensity training seems to work for me.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:58 pm

Low HR Run: 4.53 miles

Weather: Overcast, muggy, 52. Gear: Altras, shorts, T, jacket, hat (doffed). Fuel: Oatmeal and coffee before. Nothing during.

This daylight saving time switch came at the right time, just as I hit my scheduled step-back weekend. I had about 4 on the plan, so I was able to fit it in without messing up sleep patterns and schedules. Woot!

I also lucked out in timing, because it had been raining for most of the past 24 hours. Just as I was about to start, the last of the rain moved out of the area, leaving only a brief sprinkle at the start. It was mild and very muggy -- everything was saturated -- but fine. Nice.

I ran easy, on a fairly flat loop, to work the kinks out from my experiments this past week. I got into a decent groove and was pleased to see little fall-off in pace or creep in heart rate.

I'll probably do about 10 tomorrow as I finish my step-back. Then it's back to it, with what I hope will be my first week with a 20-miler this cycle.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 131.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:38 pm

I hope the 20 miler goes well.

I'm sorry to read about your parents...I so dread the day I lose my mom; she and I are very close.  My uncle passed away at age 50 (dad's bro.). Life is so fragile.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum