365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Comes Next

+17
mul21
JohnP
Schuey
nkrichards
Jerry
Michael Enright
Nick Morris
dot520
charles.moman
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
wendy_miller
T Miller
Julie
ounce
Mark B
21 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

What Comes Next  Empty What Comes Next

Post  Mark B Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:27 am

Is my new blog title a statement or a question? It's a little bit of both.

I've spent the better part of the past two years getting ready for my most audacious running goal ever -- finishing a 50-miler to a celebrate my 50th year: The Mount Hood 50. That I actually got it done still makes me smile. 

But figuring out what to do next is proving trickier than I'd expected. 

Yes, I want to keep running. Yes, I want to keep barefooting. Yes, I want to keep up the low HR system. And yes: I DO want to do more ultras. And marathons. And whatever else strikes my fancy.

And that's part of what's making it tricky. There are so many possibilities. My imagination is darting around like a kid in a candy store, too hyped up to pick any one thing, and getting a little worried that all the good stuff will be gone by the time I make up my mind.

So in addition to tracking my runs and showing off photos captured along the way, I hope this blog will help me explore my options and find the path from what I did to whatever it is I'm going to do next.

It should be an interesting journey. I hope you join me for it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

What Comes Next  Empty Re: What Comes Next

Post  ounce Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:53 am

Woohoo!  Off square one.

I'm also here to collect the Blog Tax. $5 per word on the opening post, please.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:49 am

From what I've seen of your previous blog you should have plenty of beautiful trails in the area, right? i look forward to seeing what you pick next. Blog tax....really...
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:50 pm

ounce wrote:Woohoo!  Off square one.

I'm also here to collect the Blog Tax. $5 per word on the opening post, please.
Yup. Decisively lurching forward into the unknown now! Woot!

I think the tax is only applicable on "quality" posts, so by that measure... I think I'm due a refund. Wink

Julie wrote:From what I've seen of your previous blog you should have plenty of beautiful trails in the area, right? i look forward to seeing what you pick next. Blog tax....really...
Hey, Julie! Lots of trails, yes. I'm curious about what I'll pick next, too! Hopefully, there will still be some spots left when it all comes together.

---

I skipped my regular Sunday run today, hoping that a little extra sleep will let me clear whatever weirdness has been in my body for the past week. I don't think I've ever felt almost sick like that before. It's really quite odd.

If I feel okay tomorrow, I might head out after I get Alec and Alita off to school. Alita's done with her month-long post-surgery break. Crossing my fingers and toes that it goes well for her back in the classroom.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:19 pm

OH, please.  Those llamas?  Those pictures?  They make the words quality, even if the words are just, "See Mark.  See Mark run.  Run, Mark, run."  Pay up, me bucko.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:52 am

Hi Mark, it's an interesting title that you've chosen for this blog.  I'm interested to see where you go with it.  I hope your training is going well and that Alita's foot holds up for her first week back. It'll be a short one so that should help.

I hear Waldo 100k is in your area and the BONUS is that it's a Western States 100 qualifier. Smile

It's one of the very few 100k races in the US that will qualify you for WS100 in 2015.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:42 pm

ounce wrote:OH, please.  Those llamas?  Those pictures?  They make the words quality, even if the words are just, "See Mark.  See Mark run.  Run, Mark, run."  Pay up, me bucko.
Wait ... you're going to start charging for the photos now, too? Yipes! At the whole "a picture is worth a thousand words" formula, I think I might need to get a second job! Laughing 

If you really want to tax me, you ought to tax for extraneous exclamation points... What a Face 

T Miller wrote:Hi Mark, it's an interesting title that you've chosen for this blog.  I'm interested to see where you go with it.  I hope your training is going well and that Alita's foot holds up for her first week back. It'll be a short one so that should help.

I hear Waldo 100k is in your area and the BONUS is that it's a Western States 100 qualifier. Smile

It's one of the very few 100k races in the US that will qualify you for WS100 in 2015.
Hi Tim! Great job out there at JFK! It was inspiring to see you all working together so well. Maybe we'll get a West Coast version of that going sometime.

I'm curious as to where this part of my journey is heading, as well. Guess we'll all find out together.

Alita is off at school now. I hope it's going well. I noticed she was walking without favoring her toe lately, which is a good sign. Still, it'll be the longest she's been on her feet for weeks today, so she's a little nervous. I think she'll be sore, but fine.

Ah, Waldo. I've skied at the ski area where the race starts and camped at Waldo Lake, so I'm somewhat familiar with the area. I bet it's a great place to run, and it's been a race that I've kind of wanted to do someday, though I suspect they're not kidding when they warn that it's NOT a beginner's ultra. It has 11,000 feet of elevation gain (and an equal amount of elevation loss) mostly on single track trails and (borrowing from the website) "there are 3 major climbs of more than 2000′ each and 2 minor climbs of more than 1000′ each. High point is 7818′ at the top of Maiden Peak. Low point is at Gold Lake, about 4900′."

When a 1,000-foot climb is considered "minor," you know you're in for a butt-kicking challenge. Wink  

That said, this is a popular race (it's 2013 running sold out in 58 minutes), and it's certain to be even more popular now that it's a prime 100K qualifier for Western States. So if you want to get in, you'd better be fast on the keyboard on registration morning!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:27 pm

Hey, look! A run!

---

Low HR Run: 60 minutes (5.11 miles)

Weather: Sunny and cold. 38-42 in the sun, frosty in the shade. Gear: Testers, tights, T, pullover, hat, gloves (shed). Fuel: Nothing during.

With both Alec and Alita off to school today, it seemed like a good day to test out my systems with a Monday run. I need to see if this bug has cleared my system, and I need to get some miles on these testers like I promised Uncle Phil.

So, I headed out on my country route, which puts me on all sorts of different types of pavement, and did my best to enjoy the time outside. It was chilly -- still close to freezing in the shade but rapidly warming in the sun -- and pretty.

The run went pretty well. My HR was a little higher than optimum, and I'm still fading more than I'd like after the first couple of miles, but that just shows where I need to focus my efforts. It makes me also wonder if I need to start bringing some fluids again. It's chilly, but dry. I felt well during and after, so that's a good sign.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 133
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  wendy_miller Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:32 pm

A 100 miler is the obvious next step. Duh.Very Happy
wendy_miller
wendy_miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:38 pm

wendy_miller wrote:A 100 miler is the obvious next step. Duh.Very Happy
Duh. At least as a crew/pacer. So all I need to do is find a runner fool enough to go that far. Any suggestions...?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  wendy_miller Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:42 pm

Mark B wrote:
Duh. At least as a crew/pacer. So all I need to do is find a runner fool enough to go that far. Any suggestions...?
Yes, I might know someone...though right now she can hardly walk.
wendy_miller
wendy_miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:43 pm

wendy_miller wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Hey, I know her too.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Hey, I know her too.
Me, too! I love it when a plan comes together.

(Oh, and as far as 100-milers go, I'm to the point to where I can't say I'll never do one. But I think I'd need more experience at shorter distance ultras before even considering something that involved.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:12 pm

Mark B wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Hey, I know her too.

(Oh, and as far as 100-milers go, I'm to the point to where I can't say I'll never do one. But I think I'd need more experience at shorter distance ultras before even considering something that involved.)
No problem, mark - I've got I'll never do one covered.  I'll crew though....
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Mark B wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Hey, I know her too.

Awesome! And you are wiser than most of us...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Walk: 4 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, cool, breezy. 48 degrees

Took what appears to be my fastest lunchtime walk to the old Kaiser Shipyard and back. I had a nice cool headwind on the way out, but I was able to take my jacket off on the return trip and negative split the walk. 

My pace was 16:26/mi (3.65 mph), which is pretty fast for me. Great thing is, it felt pretty easy.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:50 pm

We should break 50 as a high on Wednesday for the first time since Friday.  Durn near a heat wave.  70's for the weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:31 pm

ounce wrote:We should break 50 as a high on Wednesday for the first time since Friday.  Durn near a heat wave.  70's for the weekend.
Wow!

Got you beat, maybe: We're in the crosshairs of arctic air that could bring snow and deliver some pretty cold temperatures -- into the teens or lower, possibly. We might even have multiple days of snow. That's not likely (when it's cold enough to snow, it's usually dry, and when it's wet, it's usually too warm to snow), but it could be interesting if it all falls together.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 pm

Mark B wrote:
Mark B wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Hey, I know her too.

PARTY AT MY PLACE FOR WESTERN STATES 2014!!!! What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 pm

Mark B wrote:
Mark B wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Hey, I know her too.

PARTY AT MY PLACE FOR WESTERN STATES 2014!!!! What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:43 pm

Sounds like a plan, Mike. Now all we need is to get one (or more) members of our group into the race. Piece of cake, right?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:55 am

Mark B wrote:Sounds like a plan, Mike. Now all we need is to get one (or more) members of our group into the race. Piece of cake, right?
I tried to double our chances but my finish at the Indiana Trail 50 didn't qualify me.  Now that they've upped their qualifying standards I'll have to run an ungodly difficult 100k or 100m to even get into the lottery.  And, If that isn't enough and I want to up my chances above 10% possibility of getting in it'll require re-qualifying on consecutive years.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:41 am

T Miller wrote:
Mark B wrote:Sounds like a plan, Mike. Now all we need is to get one (or more) members of our group into the race. Piece of cake, right?
I tried to double our chances but my finish at the Indiana Trail 50 didn't qualify me.  Now that they've upped their qualifying standards I'll have to run an ungodly difficult 100k or 100m to even get into the lottery.  And, If that isn't enough and I want to up my chances above 10% possibility of getting in it'll require re-qualifying on consecutive years.
Sounds like a plan, Tim.  Wink
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:57 am

ounce wrote:
T Miller wrote:
Yea, so if I want to party at Mike's house I have to run multiple hundo's.  Sad

I think there may be a pair of Hoka's in my future.  I'm getting too old for all this pounding.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Wow! A party in my blog while I was out running! Coolio.

T Miller wrote:
Bummer about the Indiana Trial 50, Tim. You were robbed. Your JFK still counts for 2014, doesn't it?

I do think that the enhanced qualifiers means you'll have a better than 10% chance of getting in with a single 100K under 16 hours or 100M finish, however. That's something, at least.

ounce wrote:
T Miller wrote:
I tried to double our chances but my finish at the Indiana Trail 50 didn't qualify me.  Now that they've upped their qualifying standards I'll have to run an ungodly difficult 100k or 100m to even get into the lottery.  And, If that isn't enough and I want to up my chances above 10% possibility of getting in, it'll require re-qualifying on consecutive years.
Note he said "a plan" not "a good plan." Suspect 

T Miller wrote:
ounce wrote:
T Miller wrote:
Yea, so if I want to party at Mike's house I have to run multiple hundo's.  Sad

I think there may be a pair of Hoka's in my future.  I'm getting too old for all this pounding.
But hundos are supposed to be fun and exciting! Do as many as you can and make WS your triumphant moment.

Besides, there are lots of great 100s out there - including out here in the Pacific Northwest.

Old? You? Pfft. As if. I saw a Hoka advertisement in the background of one of your pre-JFK photos, so I can't say I'm totally surprised that you're thinking about them. It seems like ankle suicide to me, but to each his own. I'd say toss away the shoes and learn how to frolic barefoot. geek 

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum