365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clawing My Way Back

+26
healdgator
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
jon c
Jim Lentz
Joel H
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Paula Sue
Tom H
Liz R
Seth Harrison
Mark B
John Kilpatrick
Natalie
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Tea from RonItch
dot520
Matt W
Jerry
Kenny B.
Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Dave-O
Michael Mitchell
30 posters

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Climo

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:38 pm

Mark B wrote:I'm catching up on your training, Michael, and I feel like I just got off a roller coaster! At least the highs are getting higher. Smile

I am hoping that the weather turns and you end up with a pleasant autumn and wonderfully mild winter. Though, after this summer, I think you'd be game for a blizzard.

When does the summer swelter usually break where you live?

Climo is September 25, although there are hints that a front "might" come through September 8-9. Might is the operative term. When I say climo front, I mean temperatures still near 90 and lows around 67-68, but it is very dry. The real fronts do not come until October.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Tropical Troubles In My Head

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:37 pm

Wow. Wow. Just wow. I knew the PWATS were near 2 inches. I knew I would have to start off slow and I did. I just did not realize how bad it was. I am so tired, pooped and otherwise trashed. First, this has been the most successful week I have had since June. This is also the fastest week since June. All in all, great week. I went through 5 miles at 39:30 and pushed the last 2 miles at a 7:30 pace. I was soaked and drenched. In fact, as I type this, I am drenching my shirt after a shower. Wow. Oh, 54:30 for 7 miles. I ended with 44 miles for the week. The highest week, mileage wise, for the year. So things are really looking up. My plan is to squeeze two 53:12's out for Sunday and Monday ( with the humidity so bad) and see what Tuesday brings. Otherwise, Happy Labor Day to all.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Sunday In The Park Equals Off

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Went ahead and 86d Sunday. Just needed some rest. Now today. It was hot. High pressure ridge is giving us our LAST taste of summer. Front comes in Saturday night. Now, you folks up north of us think that a high of 88 and a low of 66 is not cool, but to us, it is polar express. Smile We have one more week of this. Now, today's run. I had planned to run 5 miles. I felt bad and almost chucked the whole thing, but started at an 8 minute pace. By the time I had hit the three mile mark at 23:30, I thought, let me stride this out at an 7:30 pace. Now mind you it is hot in the house. Yeah, 80 is hot. I am soaked, but trundled on. I hit the five mile mark at 38:30 and actually said, well let us continue. I actually hit the last two miles at a 7:24 pace. Yep. Surprised me too. I have not run that fast since mid June. I ran a 53:12 and had some gas left in the tank. Smile Now tomorrow is a 12 noon run because I have a meeting at 1:30 pm and my kid's swimming lessons at 5:30 pm. I have 7 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Re: Clawing My Way Back

Post  KathyK Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:11 am

good job!
By the way, from my perspective, a 7:24 pace is not 'trundling'. I trundle, you do not.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Thank You

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Thank you. You are kind
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Day Off

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:41 pm

I went to the treadmill. I looked at it. I said, no not today. I was not feeling it. I went home. No excuses....Today. 53:12 for 7 miles. It is hot. It is humid. I just need to get it done. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Gym Rat

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:58 am

You know what. I applaud all those who workout. I do mean that. The gym is a place to get things done and feel somewhat good you did them. I went to the YMCA at 4 pm. Now, as many of you know who follow this blog (ha ha), my YMCA is toasty. They say it is in environmental ( the A/C works off what is going on outside), but it stays 78 pretty much all summer. With the sauna and whirlpool nearby, it makes the humidity very sticky (68-70 percent). Essentially, heat training. Nowing that, I still have to get the run in. I have to take in 20-25 oz of fluid and GU to make sure I A) do not cramp up and B) I am able to make it. Knowing that, I am 20 minutes into my run. The ventalation system ( antiquated and such that it is) blows straight across ( they are visible ducts, like I stated, in the basement and very old building and set up) and there is a ceiling fan that blows the air down. Before my run, I turned that fan on high. No one was on that set of treadmills ( 5 of them). I get on at a 7:36 pace. By the 20 minute mark, I am soaked, but I live with it. Gym rat comes in and turns the fan off. Did not ask ( I always ask or just leave it alone), just did. I put my arms up in the air. Now, he was going to turn it back on, but I said, "No, that is ok, do not worry". He tells me, " I come in here to sweat". Really? Freakin really? I have to monitor my fluids so I do not die and this yahoo is saying this. I say, "Sir, I have been running for over 30 years, I would love NOT to sweat". I left it alone, but was pissed. I then sped up to a 7:30 pace by the 3.36 mark. Meanwhile, gym rat is running at a 12 minute pace. Now, I do not care how fast he is running, but he better be running more than a small amount of time. WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. Freakin lightweight. 10 minutes folks. 10 minutes and he is done and leaves. I am burned up. Now, hotheads (lol..he he ) on this board told me to throw my sweat rags ( go through two a run. TWO...LOL and plus I am soaked from my head to my shoes) at him, but I did not want to start something. LOL. I am running mad. Now, he goes and lifts weights and I am stuck with this. Now, I could have gotten off and turned the fan back on, but I thought, nah...I did tell them gym rat I need to run with my big boy pants on and suck it up. This is heat training and I know it. He comes back to do weights ( it is very small in this gym..the lats and delts machine is right in front of the treadmill I was using) around the 10K mark. I am now ( it is so bad) wringing out my rags on the carpet with water streaming out. I was so hoping he would see it ( I did this at least 10 times), but did not. I was thinking, "You want sweat so bad, take mine". Sheesh. After that, left for good. Now, my rant is over, but give me a break. I ran a 52:50 for 7 miles, but dang. Today, 7 miles, 53:12 I think at 12 noon. I have a meeting at 2 pm to 5 pm today. Tomorrow, 1 pm for a I have a meeting from 8 am to 12 noon, then another meeting from 3 to 4 pm. Sigh. I have 14 miles this week. Oh, there is a front coming. Sigh.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:26 am

Calling me a hothead? Ouch man....he already started something. Clearly he was a butthole and doesn't get how running works.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Ha Ha

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:18 pm

Joel H wrote:Calling me a hothead? Ouch man....he already started something. Clearly he was a butthole and doesn't get how running works.

Joke sir. Joke. LOL Did not see him today...LOL
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Gym Rat Sweat Boy Not There

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:22 pm

Nope. Not today. Ha. ha. Oh well, Run went ok. Not great, but what do you expect at 80 degrees with 71 percent humidity. By the way, even when the front comes, it will be nice outside, but the humidity does not go away at the gym. It usually lingers really bad until mid October. Smile Fun. The run, 52:30 for 7 miles. Nice. Legs were good. Stayed hydrated. No GU ( forgot it), but ok. Tomorrow, will run at 1 pm. Have a meeting from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm and then another from 3 to 5 pm. Only time I can run is at 1 pm. Lovely. I have 21 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty What A Catch Up

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:23 am

Yep. Let me see. I ran 5 miles on Saturday at 38:30. It was hot and disgusting, but ok. Gave me 33 miles for the week. Weekends are starting to become tough to run. With so much to do, it is tough. We decided to go to church with our in laws. It was good. I ran a quick 25:30 for 3 miles for I knew the afternoon was a goner. I was right. They just HAD to watch their Saints. LOL. Yesterday. It was hot and humid at the YMCA. Now the funny thing is that the temperature gauge was reading 76. For most days, that is frigid. The humidity was another one. 69 percent. Yep, sweaty like crazy. I then used a treadmill that I swear is faster than what it is showing. I need to man up again. LOL. Well, I ran a 53:00 for 7 miles for I just did not feel like going faster. I did have the last mile at a 7:30 pace. The only way I will be able to duck under 7:30 pace is use this treadmill. Sigh. I have 10 miles this week. Oh, I have to run at 12 noon today for I have a 1:30 pm meeting and my kid's swimming practice at 5:30 pm. Fun. My morning runs ( I have not done them in awhile), maybe gone. I have to leave even earlier than before.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Tired of Sweat

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:04 pm

I am tired. I am so tired. They (YMCA) was working on the Sauna. They are replacing all the wood inside. That is great. Lovely. Why could they not spend the money on the archiac air conditioning system? What I have not told you all is that the system is so bad, one part of the basement gym is freezing cold and the other part ( where the weights and treadmills are) is just plain hot. There is no circulation at all. It is all hanging ventilation. Anyway, the Sauna is wide open. It is hot and matriculating into the basement. What does that mean? It was really hot today. Sigh. Well, I survived it. I swear I am not one on excuses, but goodness gracious. 52:42 for 7 miles and I am done. By the way, the heat training will continue at the YMCA. Why? Because it does not really back off at the YMCA until mid October, when the first real front comes through. Oh well. Fun. I have 17 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:16 pm

Good job working your way through the trailing end of this endless, awful, summer.

My two cents: You should have thrown your sweat towels at Mr. Gym Rat.

That is, unless he was benching 265, of course... Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Thanks

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Mark B wrote:Good job working your way through the trailing end of this endless, awful, summer.

My two cents: You should have thrown your sweat towels at Mr. Gym Rat.

That is, unless he was benching 265, of course... Wink

Yeah I know. He was a weird one, that fellow. I have not seen him since. Not sure what he was benching....I know he wore a jacket the whole time he was there. Again, strange.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Tweaking Yet Again

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:51 pm

I can say it has not been tweaked (my right hamstring) since June, so....It finally went away after a slow day and that is what I will do today. 7:54 pace the whole way. I am icing and taking Advil. The run will begin at 4 pm. I should be ok tomorrow.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:57 pm

I had to chuckle at your story about the person and the fan. Someone does that by me too, actually several people. They don't ask, they don't look, it's just all about them.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Indeed

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:01 pm

JohnP wrote:I had to chuckle at your story about the person and the fan. Someone does that by me too, actually several people. They don't ask, they don't look, it's just all about them.

I will agree, but that is the first ( and right now last) time I had seen him. I have not seen him since. It is hot enough in that place without any help. At this YMCA, it takes until the first part of October until it really gets nice. So, I have my heat training until then. Oh boy.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:41 am

Mr. gym rat ran 10 minutes? And says he goes there to sweat.
Like my grand-daughter would say...."Whatevo"
Good luck with the rest of your heat training!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Sigh

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:34 pm

KathyK wrote:Mr. gym rat ran 10 minutes? And says he goes there to sweat.
Like my grand-daughter would say...."Whatevo"
Good luck with the rest of your heat training!

Thanks. It was horrible today. Just terrible this morning. Great googla moogla.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Get To Off A Day

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Well, the hamstring was tweaky. I thought about running, but then thought...nahhh...let it rest. This morning. Well, it was so humid, you can just feel it. I ran a 43 for 5 miles ( the first one being at 11 minutes) and I swear I was dragging mules with me. A whole load of them. Wow. Today's run should be just fun. Just a riot. Sigh. Oh well. I have 22 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Tropical Tribbles For A Non Participating Mind

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:46 pm

Goodness. Gracious. Mercy. Me. Sigh. I did not run Thursday afternoon. I was just beat. Friday. Well, it started well enough. I was raring to go. Everything was set up for a YMCA run. Everything except for my.....music. No music, no run. Sorry. Headline News aint gonna cut it. So, it was a run at home. The humidity. The heat. The love. 55:18 for 7 miles and I was done. Then we went to a horrible Italian restaurant. I had oil and butter dumped on all of it. Had nausea later. Lovely. Brings me to today. I woke up and everything was ok. Not great, but ok. Cleaned house and somewhere during that time, I pulled my back. Man oh man. Well, my DC/PA will see me at 8:50 Monday morning, so that will help. I told him I did not need ART, but I am sure he will check my legs out anyway. Going into to the run, I was really worried. It was hot, humid, and the back was killing me. Well, guess what, it loosened up to run. Woo Hoo, but I paid for it. Goodness, humidity. I ran at an 7:54 pace on purpose the last two days ( and will tomorrow too). I knew it will break Tuesday, so I can get some work in. 55:18 and I am done. I finished with 37 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Monday, Tuesday, Looking Out For Number Twenty One

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:59 am

Monday was good. Not really that stressful. After getting ART for my back and my legs, it was ok. It was a little tiring, for I have not had my legs that fast since Wednesday, but good to get it out of my system. 53:12 for 7 miles and it was hot and humid inside the YMCA, but it was heat training you know. LOL. Today, 7 miles at noon for I have a 1:30 pm meeting and a 5:30 swimming practice I have to attend. All in all, it will be ok. I will say this. With the cooler temperatures, I did notice a slight decrease in the swealtering index inside. Yes, I still soaked my shirt and rag, but the shorts were not soaked quite so bad. Oh and another gym rat came in and shut the fan off. Yep. I did not say anything, but I timed him (12 minutes) and when he finished, I did ask him to turn the fan back on. He did. I told him I was 47, running at a 7:30 ish pace and did not want to die. LOL. Today, 7 miles to Judas Priest's Nostradamus ( I cannot get it off shuffle for each song...so it is a mystery as to what song is next...sigh) to Headline News. Sigh. I have 7 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Well Twenty One Has Come and Gone

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Man oh man. It was actually semi ok outside. Our Pacific front has not come through and had not come through as of my run. It was hot and humid in the YMCA. Actually worse than yesterday. I mean the last half mile was brutal. Just brutal. I ran my 53:12 for 7 miles and got out of there as fast as I could. Wow and here I thought doing it earlier with no folks in there would be better. NOT. I have 14 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Well Twenty One Has Come and Gone

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Man oh man. It was actually semi ok outside. Our Pacific front has not come through and had not come through as of my run. It was hot and humid in the YMCA. Actually worse than yesterday. I mean the last half mile was brutal. Just brutal. I ran my 53:12 for 7 miles and got out of there as fast as I could. Wow and here I thought doing it earlier with no folks in there would be better. NOT. I have 14 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 37 Empty Just Danged Pooped To Do Anything

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Well, that is how it started. I was exhausted. Just plain pooped. I went home and talked myself into something. after a 9:17 first mile, the next four were in 30:32 ( for a 39:49 for 5 miles) and the last mile in 7:24. I guess not too bad for nothing. LOL. I still felt like crud, but I got something in. I have 19 miles for the week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next