365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clawing My Way Back

+26
healdgator
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
jon c
Jim Lentz
Joel H
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Paula Sue
Tom H
Liz R
Seth Harrison
Mark B
John Kilpatrick
Natalie
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Tea from RonItch
dot520
Matt W
Jerry
Kenny B.
Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Dave-O
Michael Mitchell
30 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty Re: Clawing My Way Back

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:47 pm

Joel H wrote:102 today....105 is quickly approaching, I still think we could see a 107-110 day in our near future. The rest of summer has been August, so does that mean August has to be the surface of the sun?

Yes, this is the Sun...LOL....
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty Run Moved

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Inside running, of course. It will stay that way until October. LOL. My interviews took longer than I thought, but we have a short meeting today, so if I get out at 3:45 pm, 7 miles, 4 pm, 6 miles and 4;15, 5 miles. We shall see.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Never said you weren't a real runner or a cheater...just a WIMP!! Laughing
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty :)

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Joel H wrote:Never said you weren't a real runner or a cheater...just a WIMP!! Laughing

Whatever sir, whatever....LOL
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:53 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:
Seth Harrison wrote:Michael, going back a bit in your blog, I couldn't figure out how much running you're able to do outside and how much is on the TM. Based on the temps, I don't see how you're doing much outside. I assume your midday run today will be indoors?
Anything that you're able to do outdoors is pretty impressive in that heat.

No outside running. I have not run outside since October 29, 2010. This is all inside running. It has varied on temperature and place. At my house, it is 80 upstairs and dry. At the YMCA, it is 75 and humid.

...and I thought that somehow you referring to outside temperatures, even though I know it's been above 100 forever down there. I can't even imagine...
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty Yep

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:08 pm

I refuse to run in this crap. Plus, ( much to some on here) I do not have the time to run outside. It is just easier to get it done inside. I only have a limited amount of time to get things done and for running it is one hour. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty Meeting Went 3 Hours

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:11 pm

No run yesterday. Today, I am staying home with my wife. She had eye surgery, so I need to be here. I will be getting on the treadmill, which is 15 feet from me. I am hoping for a good run. It should be ok. I hope. Talk to you later.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty Hot Topics In Running

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:17 pm

It was hot, but not too bad. I could live with this. This is includes a 52:30 for 7 miles. I can say that I started with a 7:51 pace for the first mile. That last 6 miles were at a 7:19 pace, so improvement is there. I just need to keep working at it. I am tired, but ok. Still on pace for 42-43 miles this week. It is just so hot outside and we are stuck in this pattern for at least the next two weeks. We will be going on another top 5 finish in August of all time if we do. Already one of the hottest summers of all time. I ran 8 miles in 1:02:30. I have 15.25 for the week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:43 am

Hope your wife's eye surgery went well - what was wrong? That is some strong running lately and a strong week.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty Discussion

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:15 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:Hope your wife's eye surgery went well - what was wrong? That is some strong running lately and a strong week.

My wife has diabetes ( by the way, the perception is that many diabetics are overweight. My wife is not even close, so weight for many, does not matter). She has had it since she was 28. That, of course, causes complications. This latest one is with her eye. The blood vessels in her left eye swelled up and blurred her vision. This is the second surgery to correct it. There is a very minute chance she could go blind, but I am sure it will not happen. We will see how this surgery takes in the next few weeks. Thanks for asking. Now to my running. Yeah, I am trying. Today will be a 52:30 pure and simple. If I have time, I will go an hour for an even 8 miles. Still on track for 42-43 miles this week. The Lake Houston 10K is looking very doubtful. I am just not sure I want to run in 80-81 degree heat ( ok, I am doing it now, you are correct) for that again. If I did, it would be a 45-46 10K. I would not even try to push the pace.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty I Hate Summer II

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:37 pm

Dadgum I hate summer. That is why I have a winter avatar. I want winter back. Well, it was a crappy run. I felt crappy all the way through it. At least I am running. That is a plus. 1:00:00 for 8 miles, which is a 7:30 pace. I was soaked, I mean soaked. The humidity was something horrible in there. Yeah, yeah it is 100 degrees outside and I need to stop complaining, but goodness gracious. Tomorrow, hopefully, will see a 5 miler easy in the morning and a 7 miler in the afternoon. I need to hydrate and get some ART done to my legs. I have 23 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:24 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:Dadgum I hate summer. That is why I have a winter avatar. I want winter back. Well, it was a crappy run. I felt crappy all the way through it. At least I am running. That is a plus. 1:00:00 for 8 miles, which is a 7:30 pace. I was soaked, I mean soaked. The humidity was something horrible in there. Yeah, yeah it is 100 degrees outside and I need to stop complaining, but goodness gracious. Tomorrow, hopefully, will see a 5 miler easy in the morning and a 7 miler in the afternoon. I need to hydrate and get some ART done to my legs. I have 23 miles this week.

Despite the crappy run you did a pretty dam fast pace for 8 miles. nice job.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty Death Ridge of High Pressure 2011

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:35 am

Kenny B. wrote:
Michael Mitchell wrote:Dadgum I hate summer. That is why I have a winter avatar. I want winter back. Well, it was a crappy run. I felt crappy all the way through it. At least I am running. That is a plus. 1:00:00 for 8 miles, which is a 7:30 pace. I was soaked, I mean soaked. The humidity was something horrible in there. Yeah, yeah it is 100 degrees outside and I need to stop complaining, but goodness gracious. Tomorrow, hopefully, will see a 5 miler easy in the morning and a 7 miler in the afternoon. I need to hydrate and get some ART done to my legs. I have 23 miles this week.

Despite the crappy run you did a pretty dam fast pace for 8 miles. nice job.

Yes, it is. Thanks so much for the encouragement. I am going home to run today. I swear that YMCA run about killed me. I did not want to run this morning. I am still hydrating and getting myself ready for today. If I can punch in 8-9 today, I am still on track for 42-43 this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty Hopefully Good News

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:54 am

According to a meteorologist friend of mine, the first week of September is when we (Houston) will see a meaningful cool intrusion this latter half of the year. Until then, we bake. 100+ temperatures will be the name of the game until then. Sigh. My run was ok. Not great, but ok. I started at a 7:56 pace and ended up at a 52:20 for 7 miles. Most of it was at a 7:24 pace. I have 30 miles this week and hope to try to hit 40 by the end of the day.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:23 pm

The problem I have with most treadmills is the lack of air circulation causes me to sweat a lot more than I should for the temperature and humidity inside.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty Yes

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:The problem I have with most treadmills is the lack of air circulation causes me to sweat a lot more than I should for the temperature and humidity inside.

That is probably my problem too, but remember, it is better inside ( right now) than outside. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty A Tale Of Two Runs

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:57 pm

This morning's run was great. I am was happy. It was fluid, I was happy and life was good. I ran a 37:30 for 5 miles. I figured I would be loose going into today's run. I was loose alright. Loose in the head. I am tired and it was hot. Hot and humid. It was 76 this morning and 81 this afternoon. I started slow (7:54 pace) and then ratched to a 7:24 pace. That gave me a 52:30 for 7 miles, but not before I had to stop four times for a drink (5 seconds each). Goodness. Oh well. The week is done. I have 12 miles for the day and 42 for the week. I am done.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty I Hate Everything

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:54 pm

Yep, today was a b&*^% of a day. I swear. This was one of the worst. By the time I got to run, I was worn out. I mean completely blown. When you get on and you are thinking "Fudge this, I do not want to run today"", you blow it off. I did. Now, tomorrow, I have to run an 8 miler in the morning ( my president has moved our meetings back 30 minutes this semester) and it would be crazy to run 8 in the morning and then turn around and run 5 at 11 am. Anyway, to blow off steam, I am biking for an hour. I need something to get rid of this. The heat, well it sucks. It is with us until at least September 5. Great. Summer, where the birds are chirping and singing, where the trees are blooming and life is great. NOT!!! Oh Wednesday will be double day ( 5 in the morning and 7 in the afternoon)

THE TEMPERATURE HIT 100 DEGREES AT IAH THIS AFTERNOON. THIS IS THE
EIGHT CONSECUTIVE DAY WITH THE TEMPERATURE REACHING OR EXCEEDING 100
DEGREES. THIS TIES FOR THE 4TH LONGEST SUCH STREAK IN CITY HISTORY.

14 DAYS 7/19/1980
11 DAYS 8/05/1998
9 DAYS 7/03/1980
8 DAYS 8/08/2011
8 DAYS 9/05/2000
8 DAYS 8/21/1993
8 DAYS 8/14/1962

WELL IT WAS BOUND TO HAPPEN AND AS OF THIS MORNING...HOUSTON IS
ENDURING ITS DRIEST YEAR TO DATE AND IT`S WARMEST YEAR TO DATE.

CITY OF
HOUSTON

1/1 THRU 8/7

72.2 2011
72.2 1911
71.8 1962
71.7 2009
71.7 1953

10.86 2011
12.27 1917
13.58 1915
14.41 1996
14.65 1937

The birds have left for Canada, the trees are dead and Texas bakes....Sigh.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty Morning Runs Are Rough

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:09 am

Yes, they are. I have at least two more this week. I just never get into a rhythm with these. I was going to bike last night, but nothing. With my wife still recovering from eye surgery and cannot drive, so it was just not going to happen. We ( my son and I) had to pick her up last night. Oh well. Ran 5 mile this morning. I hate them. I really do. It was hot and humid and I am so glad when they are through. 37:30 and I was so glad to finish. Today should see a 6-7 miler after work. We are scheduled for our meeting from 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm, but there is a chance we might finish a wee bit early. We shall see. I would run on my lunch break, but I feel that 3 hours is not enough recovery for my legs. Talk to you later. I have 5 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:26 am

Michael - you are having to fight through runs recently - your pacing isn't a problem as you are running well - seems you might need a mental break? All I can say is hang in there. Hope your wife is recovering well from surgery...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty The Wildest Summer Yet

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:59 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Michael - you are having to fight through runs recently - your pacing isn't a problem as you are running well - seems you might need a mental break? All I can say is hang in there. Hope your wife is recovering well from surgery...

Yeah, I still think it is the heat. It has really worked me over this summer. My wife is doing better. Thank you so much for asking. I think life sometimes gets in the way. I will run 8 miles tonight after my son goes to bed ( the treadmill is on the same floor as he and it is super quiet). Mental break? Maybe. Who knows? I think the stress of my job is getting to me. LOL
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:11 pm

Michael, I think John is on to something regarding the need for a mental vacation. Your recent runs have looked very stressful. On second thought, maybe you (and everyone else down there) just need a break from the heat. I can't imagine what it's like day after day.
On a nicer note, I'm glad you're wife is recovering from her surgery.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty Heat

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:Michael, I think John is on to something regarding the need for a mental vacation. Your recent runs have looked very stressful. On second thought, maybe you (and everyone else down there) just need a break from the heat. I can't imagine what it's like day after day.
On a nicer note, I'm glad you're wife is recovering from her surgery.

Heat. Ahh, a wonderful thing. We will not get a break until September 5. That is almost a given. I am thinking 100+ temperatures until then. Now, we might ( a big might) get something tropical, but as was seen with Don, the dry air just sucked it up like a sponge. It will need something major ( cold front) to dislodge the high pressure ridge and I do not see it until first week of September. Well, I do think eventually once I get into something easier, it will get better. Right now, I am just fighting. Thank you for your concerns Seth.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 12 Empty Houston To Announce Mandatory Water Restrictions

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:31 pm

Well you knew this was coming. Sigh...

HOUSTON – Mayor Annise Parker plans to issue mandatory water restrictions within the next week, her office confirmed Wednesday.

The dry conditions have been causing the city to pump a record amount of water this summer.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Houston-mayor-to-issue-mandatory-water-restrictions--127456258.html
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:52 pm

First Bush, now Perry, of cause we are in hell. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum