365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thank You Sir, May I Have Another - MCM 2013

+10
dot520
mountandog
Alex Kubacki
Jerry
ounce
Mark B
Nick Morris
Michele "1L" Keane
John Kilpatrick
Michael Enright
14 posters

Go down

Thank You Sir, May I Have Another - MCM 2013 Empty Thank You Sir, May I Have Another - MCM 2013

Post  Michael Enright Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:14 am

I ran MCM with my buddy Steve yesterday. Bottom line: Great event, beautiful day, slow time (4:27:05), no complaints or excuses. We had a great weekend.
My training had been solid but not spectacular. I started from zero back in June, after some time off to consider whether I'd need surgery for a torn meniscus. The doc recommended leaving it alone, so I took his advice, and just started to train as usual then. It went well, though I was tending towards the slow side.
My buddy Steve wants to lead a pace group in Chicago (he has run that race many times), and has been in a back and forth with the people who set those up. He was torn between trying to run a really well paced 4:10 or being more aggressive and going for 4:00 or faster. We've both run marathons that fast before, though I haven't accomplished that since 2010, when I did it twice. I'm not getting any younger (I turn 57 in a week). My training has pretty much plateaued, and I've noticed my times tailing off some. And that's been ok by me. I love running, but I'm not that competitive, and I only have so much time that I'm willing to use for training. But I felt well-trained, all things considered, and that a sub-4:00 was aggressive, but not impossible.
I took Amtrak down to DC on Friday, getting to our hotel at about 7:00 p.m. We had a real nice dinner at a sushi place, and caught up a lot. Grabbed some high carb snacks and had a realtively early night watching sports in the hotel. Then to bed, and neither of us slept well (lots of noise on Vermont Avenue, near Washington Circle - sirens and honking - most of the night). But it was ok. We got up relatively early, had a good size carbohydrate breakfast at the buffet, and headed out to the expo. We were lucky we went pretty early. The lines were not too bad. Later in the day, they lost power for some reason, and people were waiting in line forever. We got our bibs and shirts (awesome shirts) and I bought some throw away sleeves at the expo. We strolled around just a bit, and were out of there.
We headed back to the hotel, and then before too long were ready for lunch. So we went to a nice Chinese place in Georgetown and then went to see Gravity in 3D at the IMAX there. That was awesome, and a good way to spend the afternoon pre-race. Then, back to the hotel, watched some college football, and then out to dinner.
Ate a really nice Italian place called Floriana, which was nearby. Had Penne. Delicious. Headed back to the hotel and watched some more sports, and tucked in pretty early. It was probably good that we were tired from the poor sleep the night before, because I actually slept pretty well.
Up about 4:30 on race day. Beautiful day. Just perfect for a marathon. Ate well, got all prepped, and headed over to the race by Metro at about 5:50. No logistics problems. We were standing in the chute, well-placed, before sun up.
Watched a spectacular opening ceremony, with servicemen doing some precision parachuting while carrying giant flags. They landed right next to us by the chute. Wow. Just so impressive. Then it was time to toss our throw-away sweats (chilly at the start), and await the gun.
They sounded the howitzer, and we were off. I had told Steve that he was pacing me, and I would do whatever pace he wanted, and would just stick with him as long as I could. I told him that if he lost me, just keep going, as I would probably fade. He set out attempting to get somewhere just below 4:00. It's a bit of a hilly run at the start, and we did ok, with the up and down. Splits off my garmin are below (I hit the splits by hand, and missed some, as usual). This is a really cool course, and I really enjoyed the sights and sounds. Only part I didn't like is the long bridge back to the other side of the Potomac, by which time I was wiped out, but that is ok. I was also very confused by the routing in Crystal City in the 20s, but I think I would have been confused in my front yard at that point, given how I was feeling! Overall, this is just well worth doing, whatever the pace.
I stayed with Steve through mile 16. Right after that, and after a sharp turn that took me to a water stop, I knew I had to let him go. I'd been feeling it for a few miles, and was not feeling the way I should if I'm going to maintain a pace through the second half, but I'd hung in there until then. Also, my neck and lower back were starting to bother me. When I get fatigued, I tend to let my head tip back, and it gets sore, and I'm sure affects my efficiency. I also aggravated a chronic back condition I have about a month ago, and though I thought I'd managed my way well past that, it came back to haunt me in the late teens in this race. I knew it would get worse. I switched to long run pace for as long as I could hold that, but then really started to bonk by 20. Right at the 20 mark, I pulled over to the side to take a quick walk break, and almost fell over backward between my neck issues and my lower back issues! I started taking walk breaks and doing my really slow survival run after that. It was still just fine. I've been there before, knew I would finish, it was a beautiful day, there were plenty of people after that bridge to help me a long. And the marines were just terrific. Nothing like it.
I struggled through those last few miles, very happy to be there, and knowing we'd had a great weekend, and this finish was certainly within the range of my expectations, so it was all ok. I struggled up that dang hill at the end and gladly took my metal from the Lieutenant and headed out to grab my bag and find Steve. He'd beat me by 12 minutes, also having faded badly. Despite that, he was also really quite pleased with the whole experience, and impressed with the event. We got in the long line for the Metro, headed back and showered up and went out for big burgers at a place near the hotel, and watched a little NFL before heading off to go our separate ways.
It ended up I had quite the struggle to get home. I was supposed to get back to New Haven by Amtrak at 10:30, which would get me to my house from there by about 11:15. But the train left Union Station about 20 minutes late. And then when we got to Penn Station and had been sitting there for a while, they suddenly announced that they had a problem, we'd all have to get off the train and go upstairs, and it would be at least a couple of hours (by this time it was almost 10:00 p.m.)
I got upstairs, and they were announcing that if we were going to Connecticut, it would make more sense to go over to Grand Central and take the commuter train. This would work for me - it goes to the same station where I was parked.
So, I hoofed it over there, missed the train, and had to sit there until 11:20 to catch a train. It got into New Haven at 1:20 a.m., and I got home at 2:00 a.m. Tough travel after a marathon!
I had to get up early (5:30) to get my daughter to school, and I was in the office by 7:45.
Great weekend.
What a great race!
I wish I was faster, but I was not - I gave it an aggressive shot, knowing what might happen.
No regrets.
Oorah!
Thank You Sir, May I Have Another - MCM 2013 Splits10
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Thank You Sir, May I Have Another - MCM 2013 Empty Re: Thank You Sir, May I Have Another - MCM 2013

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:32 am

Sounds like a good time if not an awful ending (not the marathon, the trip home).  I've heard that is a great marathon - congrats on another finish!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Thank You Sir, May I Have Another - MCM 2013 Empty Re: Thank You Sir, May I Have Another - MCM 2013

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:44 am

Congrats Michael on both marathons - the one you ran and the train ride home!  When I saw that last night on FB, I was shocked.  My daughter is taking the train to NY (Penn Station) over Thanksgiving - so I hope for no problems.  Admirable job especially since you thought you might never get there in June!  Rest up and recover well.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:58 am

The really good news here is that the knee was never an issue!!  It's too bad that you faded in the end, but like you said, you took the aggressive approach and was willing to accept the consequences.  And you really weren't too far off from your goals, so I call it a win.  Rest, recover, and get ready to run again Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:08 am

That, sir, is some impressive positive mental attitude you displayed out there. Oorah!

It sounds like a great weekend overall with some quality time with a buddy, and a solid, well-managed effort in the race. Can't ask for much more.

Well, okay, You could have asked for a better ride home. That sounded awful.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:18 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:Sounds like a good time if not an awful ending (not the marathon, the trip home).  I've heard that is a great marathon - congrats on another finish!
John, this IS a great marathon - I would strongly recommend it to anyone. Might be a tough PR, though. But awesome. Thanks!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:20 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Congrats Michael on both marathons - the one you ran and the train ride home!  When I saw that last night on FB, I was shocked.  My daughter is taking the train to NY (Penn Station) over Thanksgiving - so I hope for no problems.  Admirable job especially since you thought you might never get there in June!  Rest up and recover well.
Thanks Michele! It was funny, I was talking to the guy I was sitting next to and saying how much I'd ridden Amtrak the last year or so on that route, and how reliable it was! They spend money maintaining that route because it's the only money-maker they have (my trains were all sold out), so I'm sure it'll be ok at Thanksgiving.
I was glad to get to the finish!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:21 am

Nick Morris wrote:The really good news here is that the knee was never an issue!!  It's too bad that you faded in the end, but like you said, you took the aggressive approach and was willing to accept the consequences.  And you really weren't too far off from your goals, so I call it a win.  Rest, recover, and get ready to run again Smile
Thanks Nick. I called it a win too!

Actually, thinking about Philly! I doubt it, but I did sign up for it as a fallback measure a few weeks ago, figuring I could just use it as backup if we had some terrible weather or something. Another easy trip (though maybe I'd drive instead of taking the train!).
But I doubt I'd do that at all!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:22 am

Mark B wrote:That, sir, is some impressive positive mental attitude you displayed out there. Oorah!

It sounds like a great weekend overall with some quality time with a buddy, and a solid, well-managed effort in the race. Can't ask for much more.

Well, okay, You could have asked for a better ride home. That sounded awful.

Thanks Mark! I was surprised by how upbeat I was in that long final stretch.
Even on the ride home...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:25 am

Great job, Senor.  I, too, hate that hill to the monument, but I love the shirts they give at packet pick up.  In '05, it was purple with gold lettering.  It often gets confused as an LSU shirt, in these parts.

Enjoy the recovery, but get back to work!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:50 am

ounce wrote:Great job, Senor.  I, too, hate that hill to the monument, but I love the shirts they give at packet pick up.  In '05, it was purple with gold lettering.  It often gets confused as an LSU shirt, in these parts.

Enjoy the recovery, but get back to work!
Thanks Oz! On the hill, I was "running" in the sense that running was the motion. I believe the speed, however, was more like a realtively slow walk!!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence on Amtrak!  MCM was my PR back in 1987 - the course has changed slightly but not much, and I know they will never get rid of that last killer hill!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:21 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Thanks for the vote of confidence on Amtrak!  MCM was my PR back in 1987 - the course has changed slightly but not much, and I know they will never get rid of that last killer hill!
I wouldn't change a thing about the way they have the course right now, I think. That long bridge back is boring, but hey, you gotta get back across somehow!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Nice job, Michael.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:54 pm

Jerry wrote:Nice job, Michael.
Thanks Jerry! You look a lot like Pre these days!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:50 am

Great job Michael.  You made it to the Start and got to end. That's all that matters.  That's a tough commute getting back home. Rest well now.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:27 am

Nice race report.  I like the way you keep everything in perspective.  Nice job.  MCM will always hold special memories for me as it was my first in 2009.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:41 am

Loved the report, sounds like a must do at some point.  Congrats on your finish and your fortitude.  As always, any race that you are satisfied (okay with) is a great experience.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:57 pm

Yes you may! Congrats on your great day, Michael!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:10 pm

good job sounds like you really enjoyed your weekend and in the end thats what it's all about great job!
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Great job!! Congrats!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RobA Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:45 pm

Job well done Michael, a great read. Congrats !!!
RobA
RobA

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down