365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 in Reflection

+10
Dave Bussard
Mark B
fostever
Glenn
JohnP
Chris M
ounce
Nick Morris
Michele "1L" Keane
mountandog
14 posters

Go down

2013 in Reflection Empty 2013 in Reflection

Post  mountandog Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:22 pm

How about a thread highlighting your highs, lows, met expectations, missed expectations, PRs, etc. for 2013.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

2013 in Reflection Empty Re: 2013 in Reflection

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:44 pm

Good idea - you start Wink
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:52 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Good idea - you start Wink

Approval 
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:01 pm

I'll start...

2013 was a pretty good running year for me. I stayed relatively healthy, outside of minor mcl inflammation that sidelined me for three weeks in January.

My high point was a new marathon PR and my first BQ. This was very special to me as I had tried so hard for the last three years, coming up just seconds short last year.

I guess if I was to have a low point for my running, I would say that not PRing in the HM kinda sucked. But I would trade a HM PR for a BQ any day.

Just a low point in general was the Boston Marathon bombing. The lives that were taken and affected by this ungodly act will always stay with me.

I still look back today on my race at the beginning of November and just smile Smile I can't wait for 2014
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:57 am

2013 has been a watershed year for my running. 

I changed my fueling from carb based to fatty acids based.  So, I don't carbo-load anymore prior to a race.  Switching over to low carb/high fat method of eating caused me to lose 30 pounds, lower my overall pace, break an 8 and 9 year old PR's in the 30K and 25K races, respectively, and I'm on track for a PR at the Houston Marathon on January 19 with a goal time 30 minutes faster than my PR and 54 minutes faster than last year.

I also have done 2-24 mile long runs, this cycle.

I couldn't have done the speed part of this without the help of Mark, Michele, and Jim.

My slogan in my signature below is finally starting to happen.
Ride
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:51 am

2013 was somewhat a comeback year for me and I used it to build back mileage topping it off with a BQ for 2015 even if it was/is slower than I think I can run, but it will get me in nevertheless.

Highs - Bounced back ok from surgery in late 2012 running 6 marathons (albeit slowly).  Did get a BQ for 2015.  Meeting up with a bunch of you before the fateful Boston race.  Crewing at JFK and seeing all your smiling faces as you accomplished something I will never do and still being in complete awe.

Lows - Boston bombing.  I'm not really sure I've actually processed what I witnessed and maybe that is a good thing. I'm ever so thrilled to be able to run it again in 2014 and I hope with a good end result.

Thanks again for all your support.  I might ramble a bit, but it is good to write it down and keep track of it all even it you never read it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:56 pm

2013 was a terrible year for running for me.

Nagging knee pain from the 2nd half of 2012 carried over into 2013 and I had microfracture surgery on my right knee in February.  Unfortunately, that surgery has not been 100% successful and I've spent the rest of year battling on and off sharp pain in the same knee that keeps me from running too many days in a row or being able to anything close to my desired level of weekly mileage.  So, I started running in 2008 and have always had a bunch of PRs each year 2008-2012 but 2013 was a bad step-back with nothing close to a PR at any distance in the few times I tried to race. 

To be more positive than that very negative paragraph, some 2013 running highlights were:

- Did get a BQ
- Ran with buddies like Schuey, Dave, and Kevin
- Was part of the crew at JFK for Schuey, the Millers, the Youngs, and Vivian
- Got to run in some cool new places (new for me) like Juneau (Alaska), Frankfurt, Cagliari (Sardinia), Vancouver, Barbados, New Orleans, NYC Central Park and London's Hyde Park.
- Generally found that I do like to run more than I thought and maybe appreciate it more now that a nagging injury is keeping me from it some
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:03 pm

2013 was the second bad year in a row of running for me, mostly due to injury. I don't feel I've had a good race since October 2011 when I BQ'd at Grand Rapids. I feel the injuries are from two things - overtraining and wearing the wrong shoes. I did ramp the training down a bit and hope I am now in correct shoes. Work is so busy that I haven't run races other than the two marathons in 2013. I get very envious when I see people run so many races but with some more discipline, I know I could run more too. However, 2014 is shaping up as another busy work year with new responsibilities so I need to concentrate on doing well in the few races I plan on.

Still, despite this negativeness, I love running and training for races, I just wish it was more in my genes to handle the miles to do great. And my high for the year was running Boston. Despite all the horror of what happened there, it was the highlight of my running year to be there.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:35 pm

I haven't posted much here this past year, but I still drop in from time to time to check in.  I had a great year.  I got two marathon PRs - Ogden in May and St. George in October.  At St. George I ran negative splits and finally broke 4 hours - a goal I've had since I surprised myself and ran a ~4:05 at Grandmas in 2011.  I also got a Half Marathon PR in August.  I credit the improvement mostly to better, more structured speed-work sessions, under the supervision of a coach.  More importantly, I went through the year without injury.

I ran a 3rd marathon in November (Richmond) but having reached my sub-4 goal, I paced my wife, who was running her second marathon, and she crushed it for a 30 minute PR.
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:21 pm

Had a decent final AG year. Ran the Disney World Marathon in January (3:25) w/all the characters. February to Rock Cut for a slow icy trail 7miler. Ran a March lakefront PR Half (1:29:06) in 25-30 mile wind gusts. April Boston bombing overshadows a personal course best of (3:16.) August ran my 1st road 5K since my 20's (19:29.) September helped friend from my training group to a 5min PR half (1:31.) October Chicago- 2nd best marathon time (3:11.) November Turkey Chase 8K (32:43) to finish 2013 w/AG prize card- trigger point roller, Yeah!  Looking back I ran more races than I thought. No wonder the Trochanteric bursitis!! Rolling Eyes
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:19 am

2013 was my year of living dangerously. I committed myself to training for an completing my first ultramarathon, and I picked a 50-miler because I figured the more audacious the goal, the more fun it would be to achieve it. In getting ready, I had a dozen days with 20 or more miles on my feet -- and two of those at or greater than marathon distance -- and I recorded my highest weekly mileage ever (peaking at nearly 65 miles), with some continued barefooting and a lot of hill running.

I finished the year with 1,500 miles exactly. It was (much to my surprise) the most miles I've done in a single year. I say "surprised" because it didn't feel like the most miles ever. I had no injury or fatigue problems.

It was pretty great, actually.

The race itself (the Mount Hood 50) was a great challenge and quite the adventure. For my debut at nearly twice my longest race distance, that's pretty satisfying.

The less good for this year was what happened after the ultra. I had hoped to recover quickly and get back to those trails, hills and barefoot outings, but things kept going wrong -- a stubbed toe here, a virus there, etc. -- and I haven't been able to get back to that great rhythm of running that I enjoyed in the first part of the year. I'm hopeful that'll turn around once I get my 2014 plans nailed down.

Last edited by Mark B on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:22 am

I was thinking about this too... I think my year was pretty good, despite my training taking a huge stepback. I called it a retirement but I think it was really just a rest period. Ended up the year with 2400 miles, of mostly just running. There were no training or racing plans. Did a few tempos, and it seemed I still did my weekend long runs. Probably just old habit! Anyhow, best race of the year was a 16:32 5K (91.52%). Others were 27:52 5M, 35:32 10K, 46:25 8M, 53:41 15K. Won a few races and was unbeaten in the 50-54 for the 2nd year in a row. All good stuff!

Looking forward to stepping up the training a bit in 2014...Long term I would like get close to the 55-59 AR in the 5K in 17 months!

Stay healthy everyone...
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:26 am

Running-wise, 2013 was a dud.  But maybe there's more to life than running...?

Came into the year wanting to GAIN weight (what?!) and stop looking like a frail man-child.  I started cycling with a group up here and came to a very happy medium.

Moved in with my girlfriend in June, and we're well on our way to engagement.  Career launched and has been extremely successful so far.

Hit another string of running injuries at this point - shin splints, groin issues, left knee, right glute, now left quad...  So I'm back on the bike.  Not unhappy about that, but still hoping to one day find that balance and be able to get back to the trails.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:21 pm

Well I think I will need to reflect on this one some more but to sum it up running was good in 2013. Racing in 2013 well it just sucked!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:41 pm

Well, if we are talking running I guess you could say it was not a good year since the end of January I had to stop running until Sept and had about 12 weeks of bed rest off and on. But I am very happy and thankful to have my baby boys here healthy and safe and we had really wanted more living babies for over 2 years so really all the running in the world doesn't compare, for my family. Right now I'm running 5-6 miles most days since my babies can't have me leave them much longer without needing to nurse and I hope to train for a 50K Oct of '14. So a year off for me but a really really great (although crazy busy) one for my family. Thanks all of you who have given support.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:08 pm

since I started this I guess I have to chime in.  Overall a good year but a mixed bag on a couple of things.  And sometimes it's not always about oneself.

Plus:
New PRs in the 5k (18:46) and (HM 1:24:43)
Ran my first road mile (5:41) and 50 Miler (8:26:04) > so technically PRs > my shortest and longest ever races
Ran Chicago with my wife and four eldest kids > that was really cool
Saw Chelsea really grow as a runner and go sub 2:54 in the marathon
Won my AG in the Detroit Turkey Trot 3 years running
Was 5th AG in Chicago
Used a coach for the first time
JFK was cool
Actually spending some time with people from this board was a highlight

Minus:
Boston - enough said
Two injuries caused me to miss running, the Crim 10M and not breaking my marathon PR for the first year since I started running - first one caused by waterskiing and second was tendinitis caused by running
No 10k PR
Lower total mileage than the last couple of years, but just by a hundred miles or so
I know - high expectations, but as I'm still a relatively new runner, I still want to go faster before the age thing catches me.  Figure I only have a couple of years left for real PRs

No major complaints on the running front.  Was a pretty good year.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Good:

-2500+miles, PR
-Cut half time from 1:28 to 1:24 and qualify New York Guarantee Entry
-Survived the TM, did lots on TM.
-Started listening broader materials on the run, audible books, classics etc
-Found my running mojo back, not that I loved the running that much, I had to press on to pursue PRs, cause my PR days were numbered and I feared if I didn't keep trying, I might regret later.
-Eventually gave up soccer

Bad:
-Could be more discplined in time management and diet.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down