365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Midwest Half Marathon, Huge PR!

+21
Dave P
KBFitz
Paula Sue
Jerry
Jim Lentz
Schuey
mountandog
JohnP
amyjoann
Matt W
jon c
Alex Kubacki
nkrichards
Bob
ounce
Mark B
mul21
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
fostever
carleenp
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

First Midwest Half Marathon, Huge PR!  Empty First Midwest Half Marathon, Huge PR!

Post  carleenp Wed May 08, 2013 12:46 pm

Short Version: Old PR 2:07:04 New PR 1:59:34 cheers

Longer Version: I have been doing the Hanson’s classic marathon training program for awhile now. I am almost done with the speed portion of the program and am about to enter the strength portion. Here is info about the program: http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/new-year-new-you-way-renegades?page=single

I had noticed a significant improvement in my overall paces since starting the program. Everything based on feel has sped up by a good 30 seconds per mile. I'm running slow and easy now at what used to be my marathon pace. I was targeting a 4:15 marathon goal for Missoula in July and originally planned to run the half at a pace that would predict that in McMillan as a test of sorts. I think I needed 2:01 or 2:02 or for that.

When I got to the race I felt good, and the weather was perfect, so I decided what the heck, I would go for sub 2:00 and see what happened.

The race was generally flat, but with some long slight hills. Go figure one of these had to be the last half mile at the end. But the course was out and back, so I knew from the downhill at the start to expect it. I ran a pretty even 9:04-9:09 pace the whole way with the exception of one long downhill mile that came in at 8:48 and the uphill at the end which was more like 9:20. I felt pretty darn good the whole way, but the last mile was tough, I really had to dig deep to not drop off more at the end.

I came in under 2 both on the clock and official. 1:59:59 clock time and 1:59:34 official chip time. It predicts around a 4:11 marathon in McMillan, and I have usually been able to outperform his predictions by a minute or two, so I am now training for a 4:10 marathon (current PR 4:28:48). I'm rather amazed by that!

I am really liking the results I have been getting from the Hansons program. If anyone asked me last year if I thought I could ever break 2 hours in the half, I would have said no way! Other than worrying about the long run topping out at 16 miles in the Hansons classic program, which psychologically I will just have to deal with, I feel pretty confident now about Missoula in July!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

First Midwest Half Marathon, Huge PR!  Empty Re: First Midwest Half Marathon, Huge PR!

Post  fostever Wed May 08, 2013 1:35 pm

Ran that race in 2011. Nice PR, Carleen!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

First Midwest Half Marathon, Huge PR!  Empty Re: First Midwest Half Marathon, Huge PR!

Post  Julie Wed May 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Congrats Carleen and have fun in MT! Sounds like that training program is working for you.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed May 08, 2013 2:44 pm

Wow, that is major, Carleen!! Congrats! Can't wait to see how you do at Missoula, but I predict that current PR won't be there for long.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed May 08, 2013 4:25 pm

Damn! Way to go! <Looks very hard at the Hanson plan>
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 08, 2013 4:33 pm

Suh-weet! Sub-2! Fantastic job, Carleen. Congrats!

Here's to more records falling in Missoula. Approval
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 08, 2013 10:17 pm

Write your current PR's for the full and the half in pencil because I think some new figures are going to replace them.

Nice job!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Wed May 08, 2013 10:47 pm

Woohoo!
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed May 08, 2013 11:28 pm

WOW! Congrats.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu May 09, 2013 8:01 am

That is awesome Carleen. That's crushing a PR. Looks like you've latched on to the right training for you. Congrats.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu May 09, 2013 9:11 am

I'm with the others... very impressive! It's always a great encouragement when you see significant improvement to go with all the hard work!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Thu May 09, 2013 9:49 am

Congrats on the sub-2:00 Half!!! Milestone PRs are always fun to get... well, any kind of PR is fun, but breaking through a round number is extra fun.

Keep up the great work and good luck in Missoula.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Thu May 09, 2013 2:45 pm

Thats so awesome! Huge PR you have been working very hard and it's paying off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu May 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Great job, Carleen, congratulations on a great PR. Were there any other items you'd credit for the PR - such as lack of any injury or anything else? I ask as I need to pick a plan for the fall. I bought the Hansen book when it came out and really liked it but had some hesitations about it but need to decide soon. Funny as I thought the plan would not allow for any PRs in non-marathon distances because the pacing is so close to marathon speed.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Thu May 09, 2013 7:44 pm

JohnP wrote:Great job, Carleen, congratulations on a great PR. Were there any other items you'd credit for the PR - such as lack of any injury or anything else? I ask as I need to pick a plan for the fall. I bought the Hansen book when it came out and really liked it but had some hesitations about it but need to decide soon. Funny as I thought the plan would not allow for any PRs in non-marathon distances because the pacing is so close to marathon speed.

I credit the plan fully. I posted more in the other thread about the Hanson's plan (that is here: http://www.365runners.com/t2095-hanson-s-training) but in a nutshell I think the combo of going from 4-5 days per week to 6 with the speed work did the trick. I have not done a lot of speed work in the past, just pace runs, so I definitely got quick improvement from that. But I also have seen a lot of reports in other forums from others with more experience in that area doing very well with the program. So I think it works well for a wide range of people.

I noticed that all of my paces based on perceived effort have improved significantly, so even though I wasn't training specifically for a half, I was expecting a big PR. Going sub-2 was a bit of a surprise though since I decided to go that big on a whim the morning of the race!

One other note is that I was running mostly 8 miles per the program for the long run before the half. There might have been one 10 in there over a month ago. Then I did one 12 a few weeks ago just because I thought maybe I should with a half coming up. I think I could have been just fine for the half without it though. Endurance was not a factor for me at all during the race expect for the last half mile uphill.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu May 09, 2013 10:31 pm

congrats Carleen. I'm a big fan of Hanson.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri May 10, 2013 4:20 pm

Carleen huge congrats!! There is no doubt that PR was well deserved, you have been busting your ass for the last few years. You have always been open to and have changed your training. It paid off huge for you this last time by using the Hanson plan!!! Keep up the solid running.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri May 10, 2013 4:40 pm

Great job going sub-2:00 and the BIG PR!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri May 10, 2013 4:40 pm

Awesome, carleen. This is just a beginning of many PRs.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Sat May 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Nice job, Carleen! Looking forward to your report from MT. I may have to go back and read my Hanson book again. Michele peaked my interest in Hanson Training some years back. I just never followed through.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Wed May 22, 2013 9:18 pm

I like the short version. It screams!

It's the plan, it's the plan! It's very encouraging to see your progress under a new training regime. Keep firing on all cylinders Carleen.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Mon May 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Sweet - nothing like a PR. Congrats!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 28, 2013 11:47 am

That is one heaven of a PR. Great job knocking off so much time. Congratulations!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RobA Tue May 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Congrats on the race, I see a sub 4:10 in your very near future Very Happy
RobA
RobA

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:40 am

Just now getting to some of the race reports that I missed during a busy period of work.  Your PR is just inspiring!  That's just plain awesome!  I have a friend that insists that 16 miles is the way to go...apparently that and all the other Hanson training worked out for you.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next