365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just Cuz Half Marathon

+9
Chris M
Diego
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
Bob
JohnP
T Miller
fostever
wheakory
13 posters

Go down

Just Cuz Half Marathon Empty Just Cuz Half Marathon

Post  wheakory Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Just Cuz Half Marathon 1:19:04 second place finish overall

Great race. I felt this was a break-through for my recovery and just in general that maybe after my accident of being hit two years ago the recovery process of how hard I've worked to come back with God's Grace is here. We don't give God the glory enough when the little steps add up to something tremendous in our lives.

Morning:
Race started at 10:13am so I slept in till after 8am I didn't here my alarm. I needed the sleep though with work just being so busy my sleep for the last few weeks has been less than 5 hours a night. My daughter was also running the Half Marathon (she finished at 1:36) and got up as well and we ate breakfast. I had half a bowl of oatmeal and a granola bar.

Race.
My daughter and I hopped on a bus and headed up to the course. It was about 30 degrees but was going to get in the 50's so I wore a nike green singlet and shorts and my CEP2 compression socks. I did a little warm-up and a couple 100 meter strides.

Ok gun off... at the time I didn't realize it but I was running with Taylor Farnsworth who runs for BYU. He was doing this for training and wasn't signed up for it. He was running a regional race for BYU in six days and his girlfriend was running officially in this Half Marathon and he wasn't registered but running for fun. What a great guy all around, just a great individual and so humble.

Mile 1 - 5:33 - (Steep Downhill) Taylor helped me start out faster on this downhill mile which I probably would not have. My strategy was 6:10's in the beginning miles.

Mile 2 - 5:49 - (More Downhill) Still downhill and feeling good. I really was thinking of just trying to do 6:10's but the pace felt good.

Mile 3 - 6:12 - (More of the same) Started talking to Taylor and the young kid from Idaho Falls on this Mile and just think we lost the pace here. Dan Buner a friend was out in front and the young kid really wanted to chase him down.

Mile 4 - 6:09 - (Downhill and flat) The young kid decided he wanted to caught the lead runner so Taylor and I stayed together. He was not pushing it because he was going to have to run for BYU in 6 days at regionals.

Mile 5 - 6:00 - (Downhill and flat) Good mile and just kept talking to Taylor. I definitely didn't train the Tempo runs for this pace in my training. I was worried I might suffer in the later miles.

Mile 6- 6:12 (Downhill slighty and rolling) Felt good just trying to manage the pace. I thought looking at the split this is what I originally was going to run.

Mile 7 - 6:22 (Hilly) This mile I felt a little fatigue and had some negative thoughts that I might have over-paced because I never felt this fatigue going uphill in the training on this part. But than again I was running faster than I planned too.

Mile 8 - 6:02 (flat) I recovered from the slower mile and I just felt I've worked too hard to let anything make me die and I just let the fitness part take over. Taylor left me on this mile and wanted to try and caught the leader for a good tempo pace for this the awesome BYU runner. Took a Gel at this point but I missed the water handle and dropped the cup at the aid station.

Mile 9 - 5:57 - (flat) This point I was right behind the second place runner and knew I would caught him. I was feeling good on the flat portion heading into Indian Hills.

Mile 10 - 5:59 - Caught the second plan runner and just keep moving. Luckily my mom was driving her van down the course so I asked her if she had water and to pull off to the side of the road ahead of me and I would grab the bottle. I needed a drink to wash down the Blueberry Gel I took. This worked excellent.

Mile 10 - 6:08 (Rolling) Feeling good just moving along and managing the pace.

Mile 12 - 6:02 (Rolling) More of the same and I was far ahead of the third place runner and was insight of the first place runner but there's no way of catching him. He was way ahead. In training I always loved these last two miles and their the hardest on the course.

Mile 13 - 6:10 (Uphill flat) Finished strong at 1:19:04 . Then I ran back to find my daughter and ran with her the last mile. She finished at 1:36.

Coming away from this race I've learned a few things since my recovery.
1. I did well going beyond the pace I thought I could run.
2. Sometimes it's good to head off with the leaders, because you just never know when all the cards fall your way in a particular race.
3. I need to trust myself in running faster and not think of having a Titanium Rod has a handicap and just go for it.
4. It's amazing when you run above your expectations. Sometimes don't have any and just go for it.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Just Cuz Half Marathon Empty Re: Just Cuz Half Marathon

Post  fostever Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Congrats on a magnificent race, Cory! To God be the glory for sure!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:32 am

Wow Cory, congratulations to you and your daughter on a fantastic half, I love that you give all the glory to God. He deserves it.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:56 pm

Congratulations to you and your daughter, Kory. That was a great run and you have pretty much completed your return to running very successfully.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Superb.

Major congrats!
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:30 pm

Totally awesome, Kory. You continue to be an inspiration to me and others. Congrats to you and your daughter!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:02 pm

The amazing comeback continues! Congrats Kory.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:36 pm

Fantastic race, Kory. You have indeed been blessed! Keep up the hard work.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:09 pm

Metal rod in leg? No problem! AMAZING. Great comeback and so inspiring.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:30 am

Awesome!! You continue to inspire!!!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Kory, what a great race and comeback. You have worked hard!

Thanks for sharing!

E Greenie
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Whoaah! I'm waay behind the curve here. No matter. You've recovered your Gigabyte Speed with Titanium. Major testimony Mr. Wheatley!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 pm

Congratulations on the race and your recovery. It's been an inspiration.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down