365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My favorite new road shoes are...Skechers??

+5
Nick Morris
Schuey
mul21
Diego
Ben Z
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My favorite new road shoes are...Skechers?? Empty My favorite new road shoes are...Skechers??

Post  Ben Z Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:26 pm

My favorite new road shoes are...Skechers?? Skeche10

So after reading a bunch of reviews I decided to give the Skechers Go Run 2 a shot. And I am very impressed with the shoe overall. It has replaced the Brooks Pure Connect as my go-to road / long run shoe.

And at $80 a pop (and already $65 onsale online) it's a very solid deal IMO.

I still cringe a little when I realize I am running in Skechers but hey, at least the colorway is pretty loud!
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

My favorite new road shoes are...Skechers?? Empty Re: My favorite new road shoes are...Skechers??

Post  Diego Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:16 pm

At least you didn't say Crocs or Birkenstocks. Very Happy
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

My favorite new road shoes are...Skechers?? Empty Re: My favorite new road shoes are...Skechers??

Post  Ben Z Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:50 pm

My favorite new road shoes are...Skechers?? Sweet-10

Diego wrote:At least you didn't say Crocs or Birkenstocks. Very Happy
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:57 pm

I just got a pair myself from the pacing group I help out with. I was also quite surprised at how comfortable they are. I haven't done any big mileage in them yet, but have worn them several times and I think they're great.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:26 pm

Diego wrote:At least you didn't say Crocs or Birkenstocks. Very Happy

Sweet Diego!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:52 pm

What is the weight? How's the width?

I am aways looking for alternatives Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:32 pm

Nick Morris wrote:What is the weight? How's the width?

Just under 8 oz for a size 9 I think and plenty wide.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:34 pm

mul21 wrote:

A bit lighter actually. 6.7oz in a mens size 10. Not Altra or Merrell wide but yes, enough room for toe splay. The upper is awesome too. It's a super stretchy mesh.

Read a review from Runblogger (who helped design the shoe):

http://www.runblogger.com/2013/02/skechers-gorun-2-review-how-running.html
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:11 am

Ben Z wrote:
mul21 wrote:

A bit lighter actually. 6.7oz in a mens size 10. Not Altra or Merrell wide but yes, enough room for toe splay. The upper is awesome too. It's a super stretchy mesh.

Read a review from Runblogger (who helped design the shoe):

[url=http://www.runblogger.com/2013/02/skechers-gorun-2-review-how-running.html
http://www.runblogger.com/2013/02/skechers-gorun-2-review-how-running.html[/quote[/url]]

Thanks!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:35 am

They look and sound similar to Brooks Green Silence... Maybe a bit more support, but otherwise similar. Yes?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:07 am

I figured I will give them a try.

Just ordered a pair of the Lime/Green from shoebuy.com. THey have an Easter special going on where you get free shipping and 20% off. You just have to enter the code "BUNNY20". I got them for $63...so it is worth a shot.

http://www.shoebuy.com/skechers-gorun-2/598500/1231166?cm_mmc=cj-feed-_-none-_-none-_-none#
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:41 pm

You get those at "Payless Shoes," right? hah
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:They look and sound similar to Brooks Green Silence... Maybe a bit more support, but otherwise similar. Yes?

No, a bit different. Only a 4mm drop, no burrito tongue and a 'rocker' shape (but very slight). Similar upper to an old Nike Free 3.0. Similar foam too but more pronounced.

I know, Skechers, but just did 11 in them yesterday and 20 today. Best shoe I've had in awhile, seriously.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:26 am

Hmmm, how's the width? One thing I always hated about Nike was that the midfoot width left me hanging over the inside of it.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:51 pm

Ben Z wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:They look and sound similar to Brooks Green Silence... Maybe a bit more support, but otherwise similar. Yes?

No, a bit different. Only a 4mm drop, no burrito tongue and a 'rocker' shape (but very slight). Similar upper to an old Nike Free 3.0. Similar foam too but more pronounced.

I know, Skechers, but just did 11 in them yesterday and 20 today. Best shoe I've had in awhile, seriously.

I wonder what the diruability is...Think you can get 500 out of them?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:38 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Ben Z wrote:

No. But I don't get 500 out of any shoe as I don't push it. Hoping for 300-400.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:47 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Hmmm, how's the width? One thing I always hated about Nike was that the midfoot width left me hanging over the inside of it.

Width is good. I feel like I have a really solid base underfoot. They feel very similar to my Free 5.0/Run that I've worn in the past but with a bit more width.

Nick Morris wrote:

No way I'm getting 500 out of them. I usually get 400-500 out of a shoe, but I just don't think these will hold up that well. I'd bet 300-350.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:42 pm

My shoes are sitting on my front porch right now waiting for me to get home. Funny thing is that after I ordered mine, I told one of my running friends about them and he ordered a pair, too.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Nick Morris wrote:My shoes are sitting on my front porch right now waiting for me to get home. Funny thing is that after I ordered mine, I told one of my running friends about them and he ordered a pair, too.

I don't think you will be disappointed if you like light, 4mm drop type shoes with some cushioning.

I'll confirm now that it is a better shoe than the Brooks Pure Connect. At least for what I prefer in a shoe.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:43 pm

I am amazed that Sketchers' SuperBowl commercial hasn't made an appearance in this thread.

So...

Guy sort of looks a little like Ben, don't you think? Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:31 pm

Now I remember that commercial!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:31 pm

Ben Z wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:My shoes are sitting on my front porch right now waiting for me to get home. Funny thing is that after I ordered mine, I told one of my running friends about them and he ordered a pair, too.

I don't think you will be disappointed if you like light, 4mm drop type shoes with some cushioning.

I'll confirm now that it is a better shoe than the Brooks Pure Connect. At least for what I prefer in a shoe.

I'll let you know my thoughts next week...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:11 pm

Cool. Looking forward to hearing your opinion.

Give me 2-3 runs though as I thought they actually required a break-in run or two. Purely to soften up the midsole. But they are still pretty soft right out of the box.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:43 pm

I'm slightly out of shape, so I'll say that as a precursor to this. I paced the 1:45 half marathon group on Sunday in St. Louis in what is a fairly hilly race. I hadn't gone more than 6 miles in these prior to that, but hadn't felt any ill effects on those runs so I went ahead and wore them. I'm still sore today after a relatively easy paced half marathon for me. Probably a little to do with the shape I'm in right now endurance wise, but I really think the shoes have a lot to do with it. My quads are just trashed right now. I'm not sure I've ever been any more sore than this after racing a half. They were fine on my feet, but I would caution you to make sure you ease into them.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:16 am

I'm in need of a new pair of road shoes and I'm curious how you guys would compare these shoes to the Saucony Kinvara. They sounds very similar but I would have to hear some good things in comparison to get me to switch over. I got over 800 miles out of my last pair of Kinvara's.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next