365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rotating shoes

+8
Nick Morris
mountandog
Chris M
Jim Lentz
Joel H
mul21
sir digby
Tim C
12 posters

Go down

Rotating shoes Empty Rotating shoes

Post  Tim C Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:47 pm

A question for those of you that have multiple pairs of shoes and rotate them. Do you rotate using the same brand / make of shoe or no?

I've been rotating shoes for a while. My last shoes were Asics Gel Nimbus 11's, but both had far too many miles on them. I bought a pair of NB 890's to try a lighter shoe. I like them a lot but don't know if I'm committed to them. So I don't know if I should buy another pair of the 890's or maybe try something else and rotate 2 different shoes???

Seems like a lot of you like the Kinveras, but I'm worried it might be too different from what I'm using to go back & forth...
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Rotating shoes Empty Re: Rotating shoes

Post  sir digby Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:50 pm

I like to have 2-3 different brand/type shoes in rotation, I think it helps prevent injuries and surely helps when they cancel your favorite shoe. I went a year or so running only in Brooks Launches and when I tried racing in a different shoe it messed me up, so now I am back to a 3 shoe rotation.
sir digby
sir digby

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:55 pm

I have a huge variety of shoes, and although they're all lightweight, they're pretty different in terms of fit.

Nike Free Run, NB 905, Saucony Tangent, Adidas Adizero Ace, Asics DS Trainer, and I occasionally do a training run in my Mizuno Ronins, but usually leave those for mostly longer races (10K+).

I'm relatively neutral in terms of foot strike and can wear almost anything, so I may not be the best example to follow, but sir digby is definitely right on the whole discontinuing your favorite shoe issue. I'd try to find another brand/model you like as well.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:04 pm

I agree with the above posts...switch it up but make sure and do it slowly. When I introduce a new brand/model into the mix I usually run a short 3-4 mile run in them once a week at first, then gradually move up the distance and the number of days I am running in them.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:06 pm

I have done both, rotated the same shoe model and diiferrent shoe models at different times.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:24 pm

First off, I do think rotating shoes every run is a good thing. I don't run in the same shoes twice in a row, even when doing doubles. In general, I have about 4 different types/brands and just rotate among those for the different runs although there are some I use just for speed work, some for recovery runs etc. For the first time, I do have two identical brand/model (Brooks Launch) in the mix so now there will be times that I do consectuive runs in the same type of shoe but I still think it matters changing which specific shoe you run in to give 24+ hours between runs in each of the pairs of shoes.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:16 pm

I mix em up too. For variety, shoe recovery and different muscle use and injury prevention. Saucony Kinvara 2 for 2/3, Brooks Launch for 1/3 and Adidas Adios for races and a short run for a day or two before the race. To think a year ago I was running in Brooks Adreneline. Big step up in terms of minimalism.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:44 pm

I mix and match styles of shoes, but I stick with one brand, Mizuno. I have tried all different brands and styles and Mizuno seems to fit my foot the best. I have multiple pairs of the Musha and Elixirs that I swap out depending on the run. For the most part I train with the Elixir and race with the Musha, but will wear the Musha during speedwork.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:45 pm

I'm probably the wrong person to ask this question, as I have been labeled "obsessive" when it comes to running shoes.

That caveat aside, I have different shoes I like to use for recovery runs, long runs, and speedwork. I like switching it up between flats and heavily cushioned shoes. While I love running in flats, I don't think doing so every day is beneficial; my feet and achilles need easy days too.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:50 pm

I only have 1 type of shoe I run in and yes I do try to rotate them but am not always consistent.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin L Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:28 pm

I'm currently rotating 4 pairs of different shoes. I'm training doubles - and I've never worn the same pair of shoes in two consecutive runs. I don't care much for cushioning and letting the foam to recover its elasticity...etc. However I hate putting on a pair of wet shoes from last run because I sweat a lot. Also I believe it stimulates and strengthens different muscles when I use different shoes. Figuring out the shoe rotation in advance to match any specific training routine is a whole different game. It gets even trickier during winter because I might wear certain shoes depending on the weather. Someone lied to me when I was told that running is cheap.
Kevin L
Kevin L

http://sweatengine.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:47 pm

I have rotated up to 5 different shoes right now I am r down to 3 as I am having trouble finding a 4th and 5th. I try not to run in same shoe two days in a row or on double but lately because of the lack of shoes in rotation it has been happening. Not sure I notice any difference.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin L Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Kenny B. wrote:I have rotated up to 5 different shoes right now I am r down to 3 as I am having trouble finding a 4th and 5th. I try not to run in same shoe two days in a row or on double but lately because of the lack of shoes in rotation it has been happening. Not sure I notice any difference.

I think you bought the last pairs of orange shoes in your size. You'll have to wait until Halloween.
Kevin L
Kevin L

http://sweatengine.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down