365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stalking 50

+31
Jim Lentz
Nick Morris
Schuey
wendy_miller
Dave P
nkrichards
amyjoann
Natalie63
healdgator
ounce
fostever
Ben Z
KBFitz
Chris M
JohnP
Seth Harrison
Alex Kubacki
Dave Wolfe
KathyK
T Miller
Kenny B.
mul21
Glenn
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
dot520
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
charles.moman
Michael Enright
Mark B
35 posters

Page 38 of 41 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Go down

Stalking 50 - Page 38 Empty Re: Stalking 50

Post  Mark B Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:47 pm

Walk: 2.5 miles

Weather: Sunny, cool, beautiful.

I didn't feel up to a run this morning, but I did feel up to a walk with Alec and Alita in the Salmon Creek Greenway this afternoon. It's important to do this because Alita is having surgery on her big toe joint next week (hallux limitus), so she's going to be laid up for a while.

We took a different trail than the one I usually run on in the park, and got to spend some time off the pavement, which was nice.

We also had the chance to take some nifty photos with the late afternoon light.

Stalking 50 - Page 38 13978710

Stalking 50 - Page 38 14004110

I think the distance was about all I could handle, though, because I felt like I hit the wall afterward.

Extra easy tomorrow, as in... probably no activity. I want to get this cold out of my system, pronto.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:21 pm

beautiful pics! Feel better soon! drink lots of hot tea. Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:48 am

Sorry about the bad cold.  Don't breathe over the computer, ok.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:59 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Sorry about the bad cold.  Don't breathe over the computer, ok.
I'll try not to. If I were you, I'd lean back a little, just to be safe. alien 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:56 pm

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Sorry about the bad cold.  Don't breathe over the computer, ok.
Thanks for the warning.  I'm finally starting to almost feel normal and I don't need/want to deal with more symptoms at this point!

Take care of yourself.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:07 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Thanks for the warning.  I'm finally starting to almost feel normal and I don't need/want to deal with more symptoms at this point!

Take care of yourself.
Thanks! I'm trying. This is a day off for me, and I've spent it sipping tea, eating soup and watching "Lawernce of Arabia" on DVD. (Nothing like a loong movie, though I did skip past the overture and intermission.)

I feel a little guilty, because Alita had to go to work today, and she has been feeling a bad as I have. She'll have a month off post-surgery, so here's hoping it's not spent with a box of tissues.

Glad you're feeling better!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:05 pm

Don't forget to use this, too.

Stalking 50 - Page 38 Purell10
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:11 pm

ounce wrote:Don't forget to use this, too.

Stalking 50 - Page 38 Purell10
Nice, though I was thinking about setting up a Purell Slip-n-Slide. Very Happy

Alas, we've been trading this virus throughout the house. The only ones unscathed are the cats -- and even they are a little jumpy with the nose-blowing, throat-clearing and coughing.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Yeah, there's a nasty cold virus going around here, too.  Hand washing / hand sanitizer is your friend!  Hopefully you both can kick it quickly.  Good luck to Alita on the toe surgery.  The pics you posted are so pretty.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:35 am

Just read about the attempted shooting at a school in Vancouver, WA - hope that wasn't your boy's.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:12 am

Penelope wrote:Yeah, there's a nasty cold virus going around here, too.  Hand washing / hand sanitizer is your friend!  Hopefully you both can kick it quickly.  Good luck to Alita on the toe surgery.  The pics you posted are so pretty.
Thanks, P! I'd tried hand washing when others in the house were showing symptoms, but it must have been too late. Alita works with low-functioning special ed kids at the high school level and is therefore exposed to just about everything out there, repeatedly, every day. I figure it's more a matter of building up immunity to everything at this point.

I'm still not completely over this - some residual gunk - but I'm much better than I was last weekend. A few more days and I may be ready to get out and enjoy this unusually sunny fall weather we're having. Being stuck inside, inactive, has been driving me batty.

Toe surgery is later today. She's understandably nervous. I hopeful for a good outcome and quick recovery.

Mike MacLellan wrote:Just read about the attempted shooting at a school in Vancouver, WA - hope that wasn't your boy's.
Hey Mike! No, it wasn't at Alec's school, thank goodness. It was at one of the middle schools in town that rated highest for bullying incidents and weapons violations, though. It's a weird case. We knew the school went in lockdown, that they'd found some ammunition and a weapon and were investigating -- but that's not all that unusual -- so the news release they put out at 9:45 p.m. saying that they'd found 400 ROUNDS, a handgun and several knives was a shocker. (And poorly timed, given print deadlines.) But not as much as an 11-year-old being arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. There'll be a lot of attention on this incident, I'm sure.

The school where it happened figured prominently in a big story we did last year about violence in schools. We found that middle schools were the worst place for bullying, weapons and fights. (You can read the story here.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:37 pm

There was a bomb threat locally here yesterday and then the shooting in Danvers, MA.  And my daughter wants to be a math teacher.  Ugh.

Good luck to Alita.  I believe that is the same (or similar) surgery that Greg Castady had, and well, he is still a fast runner.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:44 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:There was a bomb threat locally here yesterday and then the shooting in Danvers, MA.  And my daughter wants to be a math teacher.  Ugh.

Good luck to Alita.  I believe that is the same (or similar) surgery that Greg Castady had, and well, he is still a fast runner.
Crazy times. The boy was in court here. He said his plan was to shoot a kid in the arm who had kept calling his friend "gay" - and then shoot himself in the head, but then he heard a voice telling him that he should actually just kill the kid. His mom alerted the school when she noticed a bunch of kitchen knives were gone right after her son left.

Scary situation, but at least this kid will get the help he clearly needs. And maybe the school (notorious for bullying incidents) will crack some heads. Er, I mean, address the issue proactively.

Yeah, for an old guy, Greg does still seem marginally ambulatory. Wink

Alita liked the comparison. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:03 pm

Update!

We had a long wait (arrived at 1:30 p.m., finally rolled out of pre-op at 5 p.m.), but the surgery on Alita's foot went pretty quickly.

The doctor said there was a large amount of arthritis removed, but that she should now how good dorsiflexion of the toe - and no huge bone spurs poking out the top of her foot. He seemed pleased about her prospects for walking, running, etc. Woot!

I've taken several days off to fuss over her and make sure she keeps her foot iced and elevated.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:32 am

Keep up the fussing - you are a good husband.

Good news!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:34 pm

Mark B wrote:Update!

We had a long wait (arrived at 1:30 p.m., finally rolled out of pre-op at 5 p.m.), but the surgery on Alita's foot went pretty quickly.

The doctor said there was a large amount of arthritis removed, but that she should now how good dorsiflexion of the toe - and no huge bone spurs poking out the top of her foot. He seemed pleased about her prospects for walking, running, etc. Woot!

I've taken several days off to fuss over her and make sure she keeps her foot iced and elevated.
That's good to read.  Give her Maffetone to read, followed by Hadd, to get her in the right frame of mind.

And as far as the fussing, I don't care what Michele says, you're okay!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:45 pm

Michael Enright wrote:Keep up the fussing - you are a good husband.

Good  news!
+1  If you can stay inside fussing over Alita during this nice weather you're a GREAT husband. Smile 

Glad to hear things went well.  Maybe next year Alita will be able to do the Girlfriends Half again.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:47 pm

Good  news!
Thanks, Michael. I'm doing my best. The first few days are the roughest, then it gets better.

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Update!

That's good to read.  Give her Maffetone to read, followed by Hadd, to get her in the right frame of mind.

And as far as the fussing, I don't care what Michele says, you're okay!
Oh, I think Alita could earn an advanced degree on Maffetone and Hadd, after hearing me ramble on about it over the years. Smile

And I'm not sure... Michele does seem to be an awfully good judge of character...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:00 pm

nkrichards wrote:

Good  news!
+1  If you can stay inside fussing over Alita during this nice weather you're a GREAT husband. Smile 

Glad to hear things went well.  Maybe next year Alita will be able to do the Girlfriends Half again.
Aw. Thanks! It helps that I have such a good patient.

Alita would love to get out there again, though she has said Girlfriend's is a bit too "pink" for her tastes. She's confessed that she really seemed to connect with the lower-key, less produced vibe of (wait for it...) -- trail ultras! Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Wait - I never said that Mark was a bad hubby - just that Alita would soon be as fast as G$.  I'm sure that Mark is treating her more than very well after all she had to put up with his training for a 50 miler Wink
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Wait - I never said that Mark was a bad hubby - just that Alita would soon be as fast as G$.  I'm sure that Mark is treating her more than very well after all she had to put up with his training for a 50 miler Wink
I think Ounce was just joshin' ya, Michele. And yes - for all she had to put up with, what I'm doing for her pales by comparison.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:06 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Wait - I never said that Mark was a bad hubby - just that Alita would soon be as fast as G$.  I'm sure that Mark is treating her more than very well after all she had to put up with his ---fill in the blank----.Wink
it could be that I got that wrong.  And I tweaked your quote a bit to make it more 'real world.'  Twisted Evil
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:17 pm

ounce wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Wait - I never said that Mark was a bad hubby - just that Alita would soon be as fast as G$.  I'm sure that Mark is treating her more than very well after all she had to put up with his ---fill in the blank----.Wink
it could be that I got that wrong.  And I tweaked your quote a bit to make it more 'real world.'  Twisted Evil
I think the "doing the 50-miler" probably covers most of the other options for that "fill in the blank" section.Very Happy

We're dealing with pain management, medication levels, and instability on crutches today, which led to a scary near-fall and somewhat painful self-arrest using her bad foot. Tomorrow will be better.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:20 pm

ouch Shots
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:30 pm

Whoa, it's Sunday? Wow. Kinda lost track of time there...

Here's an update, on the third day after surgery. The first couple of days were a bit rough, but Alita's foot seems significantly improved this morning. She's been able to walk without crutches (still wearing as surgical shoe) and is in less pain overall. Whew!

I've been staying close by and keeping myself busy when not fussing over Alita by playing with the cats (they're addicted to the laser pointer) and updating system software and applications on our two iMacs. (The new Mavericks OS seems to be a very solid upgrade, and the price -- free -- can't be beat.)

No running at all - I want to say close to home - but that's probably not the worst thing in the world as I finally clear the last remnants of that nasty cold bug out of my system.

If all keeps goes well, I'll be back to work (and exercising) later this week. I hope to do some "birthday shoe" running on Wednesday...Very Happy 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 41 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum