365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stalking 50

+31
Jim Lentz
Nick Morris
Schuey
wendy_miller
Dave P
nkrichards
amyjoann
Natalie63
healdgator
ounce
fostever
Ben Z
KBFitz
Chris M
JohnP
Seth Harrison
Alex Kubacki
Dave Wolfe
KathyK
T Miller
Kenny B.
mul21
Glenn
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
dot520
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
charles.moman
Michael Enright
Mark B
35 posters

Page 39 of 41 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Go down

Stalking 50 - Page 39 Empty Re: Stalking 50

Post  nkrichards Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:36 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Michael Enright wrote:Keep up the fussing - you are a good husband.

Good  news!
+1  If you can stay inside fussing over Alita during this nice weather you're a GREAT husband. Smile 

Glad to hear things went well.  Maybe next year Alita will be able to do the Girlfriends Half again.
Aw. Thanks! It helps that I have such a good patient.

Alita would love to get out there again, though she has said Girlfriend's is a bit too "pink" for her tastes. She's confessed that she really seemed to connect with the lower-key, less produced vibe of (wait for it...) -- trail ultras! Smile
I agree that the race is a bit too "pink"...actually way to "pink".  I do it at the request of my daughter and will admit that I enjoy the course and the support the racers show for each other but would prefer a smaller casual race to the big production they do.

Good to hear Alita's foot is feeling better.

Enjoy those birthday shoes when you are able to get back out there.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Thanks, Nancy!

Alita's trying to taper off the pain medication as much as possible, so the mere fact that she wants to do that is a good sign.

The doctor had said most patients report a big improvement after three days, so it's not a bit surprise. Still, it's very nice.

I actually made it outside to rake some leaves today, which was very necessary, because some rain this morning got our trees all a'shedding.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:02 am

Uh-oh! Guess what day it is??

Guess what day it is!

Huh…anybody?

Very Happy

So, why hump day? Well, it's obvious, isn't it? It is Wednesday... and I'm over the hump on my way to 100!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:41 am

And Happy Birthday!!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:03 am

Thanks, Dot! Nothing like waking up to a bunch of BD best wishes from my far-flung friends. Very Happy 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:02 pm

Birthday Shoes Run: 3.1 miles

Weather: Pretty, but cold! 33 degrees. Gear: Bare feet, tights, long-sleeved T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves. Fuel: Post breakfast.

I was pretty excited to get out there this morning and do my traditional "birthday shoes" run. Sure, it was freezing outside, but hey... it's a tradition! I overdressed from the ankles up - that helps shunt heat to the toes - but the excitement and extra clothes got my heart rate up well above my target range. Oh well.

The run was good. I felt the cold most after about a third of a mile, but my toes warmed up enough to make the rest of the run pretty comfortable.

I was sub-10 for every lap, and since my HR was decidedly NOT low, I let my body speed up in the last lap to what would pass for a "comfortably hard" effort as my pace dropped from the 9s to the 8s to the 7s and into the 6s. Once I passed the 3-mile mark, I gunned it and finished the run with a top speed of 5:06/mi pace. It felt great.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Wow, you've been holding back on all that speed until you turned old?

I was going to say, "Not bad for an old man.", but that would've been tacky on your birfday.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:30 pm

ounce wrote:Wow, you've been holding back on all that speed until you turned old?

I was going to say, "Not bad for an old man.", but that would've been tacky on your birfday.
Hey, I never said I couldn't run fast. I just choose not to. Wink

(And I think turning 50 isn't "old" - it's finally accepting the fact that I might almost be an adult.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:36 pm

Ah, newsies.

I was minding my own business this morning when I was presented with this:

Stalking 50 - Page 39 Mark_s10

Yup. A bouquet of wilting/dead flowers, "With sympathy for the loss of your youth."

Here are a few detail shots.

Stalking 50 - Page 39 13840410

To their credit, not ALL of the flowers were dead. But the ones still alive are carnations, cemetery flowers...

Stalking 50 - Page 39 13817310

So thoughtful, eh?

Stalking 50 - Page 39 63703_10

And nice choice for the vase cover: a "Focus Fifty Plus" tab. The other side has ads for varicose vein removal, and death notices.

Pretty funny surprise!

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Happy Birthday!!!  I still don't quite understand you barefoot guys, but good work on the run this morning.  Enjoy your day!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:54 pm

Mark B wrote:Ah, newsies.

I was minding my own business this morning when I was presented with this:

Stalking 50 - Page 39 Mark_s10

Yup. A bouquet of wilting/dead flowers, "With sympathy for the loss of your youth."

Here are a few detail shots.

Stalking 50 - Page 39 13840410

To their credit, not ALL of the flowers were dead. But the ones still alive are carnations, cemetery flowers...

Stalking 50 - Page 39 13817310

So thoughtful, eh?

Stalking 50 - Page 39 63703_10

And nice choice for the vase cover: a "Focus Fifty Plus" tab. The other side has ads for varicose vein removal, and death notices.

Pretty funny surprise!

Once, I sent a package of Depends to someone that turned 50.

Nick Morris wrote:Happy Birthday!!!  I still don't quite understand you barefoot guys, but good work on the run this morning.  Enjoy your day!!
Then you sure as hell won't understand the LC/HF guys, either.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:17 pm

ounce wrote:Once, I sent a package of Depends to someone that turned 50.
Ouch! (But I am so not surprised.)

Nick Morris wrote:Happy Birthday!!!  I still don't quite understand you barefoot guys, but good work on the run this morning.  Enjoy your day!!
ounce wrote:Then you sure as hell won't understand the LC/HF guys, either.
Thanks, Nick! And what scares me is that I almost understand you, Doug! What a Face
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:44 pm

You're only as old as you feel...

Happy Birthday...sounds like it's been a fun one.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:10 pm

nkrichards wrote:You're only as old as you feel...

Feel? Funny you mention that. This morning , after my run, I felt like Tigger. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:30 pm

My dad, who worked in the car business, would say, "It's the model, not the miles."
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:37 pm

ounce wrote:

My dad, who worked in the car business, would say, "It's the model, not the miles."
Nice!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:18 pm

Soo... it occurs to me that the theme of this blog has just exhausted itself.

I successfully managed to sneak up on both a 50-miler and my 50th birthday. (Well, as much as one can manage either.)

That's all well and good (actually, it's fantastic) … but now what? New blog? Keep going? Hm... scratch 

---

(Note: Alita had her first visit to the doctor post-surgery yesterday, and everybody is pleased at how well she's healing up. She's starting some home PT, working the toe joint's range of motion even before the stitches come out. Not exactly comfy, but it's important to get back to where she wants to be.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:53 am

Well, you averaged .500 on those objectives.  You were the FIRST person to attain 50 years in your body.  WELL DONE.  And you were in last frickin' place on your 50 mile journey.  WELL DONE!

I am in awe of both accomplishments.  Wink 

And as far as the blog, I dunno.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:39 am

ounce wrote:Well, you averaged .500 on those objectives.  You were the FIRST person to attain 50 years in your body.  WELL DONE.  And you were in last frickin' place on your 50 mile journey.  WELL DONE!

I am in awe of both accomplishments.  Wink 

And as far as the blog, I dunno.
Aw, thanks! Very Happy

I'm not sure on the blog, either. I'll keep adding to it now, until maybe I come up with a great new theme -- or at least sign up for a new race.

What I'm still seriously considering is the Lake Sonoma 50, a highly regarded race in Northern California that happens to coincide with the last weekend of spring vacation. It's also part of the Montrail Ultra Series, which means that it'll include many of the world's top ultrarunners, which would be cool. It also means that its 300 spots will probably sell out very quickly.

It bills itself as "One rugged run." Video I've seen of the course shows eye-popping NorCal beauty -- and nothing but hills. It's been described as "relentless" by top racers -- either up or down. There's 10,500 feet of elevation gain, and about an equal amount of elevation loss. (Yes, that's 21,000 feet of elevation change.)

Really? Really. Here's the elevation profile:
Stalking 50 - Page 39 Yipes10

So, there's that.

I asked distant online acquaintance who ran Lake Sonoma last year how the terrain compared with the Tecumseh Trail Marathon, which he's also run, and he said Lake Sonoma is far more difficult. But totally worth it.

How's that for an endorsement? What a Face 

Except, I've felt sort of aimless after Mount Hood. It was my big, hairy, audacious goal. I couldn't get a good sense of what's going to motivate me going forward. Until I started thinking about this race.

I'm either getting excited, or scared out of my wits.

Either way, it might just work for me.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:51 am

I believe you were getting scared and excited for Mt Hood, if I remember correctly.  Reina might have some information on that trail.  It seems she gets around the northern California area a bunch.

One possible blog title:  Somona Sonoma  which is slang for "Some more of Sonoma"
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:27 pm

Heh, nice.

Here are a few photos that show the course. It's quite pretty in Northern California in the spring, and Lake Sonoma puts most of the rest of Northern California to shame.

Stalking 50 - Page 39 Madron10

And there are 12 (count 'em, twelve) stream crossings. This photo was from a lower water year. I've seen photos of runners up to their knees in a creek.

Stalking 50 - Page 39 Stream11

But it is a bit, er, hilly.

Stalking 50 - Page 39 Ahill10

Finally, here's a video that the Injinji toe sock people shot at the race. It gives a good feel for the terrain, and the level of runner it attracts. Serious star-gazing potential here.

Beautiful and brutal. I guess that's a perfect combination, right?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:38 pm

<Grabs the doob from Mark>, sucks on it (because I've never inhaled) and says, "Oh, dude, that is totally righteous." 

Ride
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:43 pm

Well, I'd say that if race was 2 minutes and 18 seconds, then you're in for a great time!

Oh, by the way, another benefit of turning 50 is an all expense-paid Colonoscopy!!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:52 pm

ounce wrote:"Oh, dude, that is totally righteous."
Dude. Totally.

ounce wrote:Well, I'd say that if race was 2 minutes and 18 seconds, then you're in for a great time!
And if I could float up steep hillsides like that, I'd be ... well, faster. Smile

ounce wrote:Oh, by the way, another benefit of turning 50 is an all expense-paid Colonoscopy!!
Nah. Had one a couple of years ago. (Talk about a 'Whoa, dude!' moment...) And I'm good for another decade. Approval

---

So, looking at calendars and noodling around with numbers, I see that the race is about 23 weeks away. I've printed out the old Ultraladies 20-week plan again and seeing how that matches up with dates. I see I'll need to start getting some momentum going on the whole base-building process. Time to see if I'm ready to roll again.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Low HR Run: 8.19 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy and cool. 43 degrees. Gear: Instincts, shorts, T, pullover, jacket (shed), hat, gloves (shed). Fuel: Zilch.

I was good about turning the clocks back last night but somehow turned off my alarm, so I woke up only a few minutes before my training partner showed up for a run. That meant no food, no coffee, no pit stop and very little stretching -- for my first real run in several weeks. Yipes.

I paid attention to my HR and we did our best to stay under control (my training partner hasn't been running much, either), and we had to walk several times when my HR went up and refused to settle down. That was probably partly due to the sudden transition from sleep to running but more from this past month or two of reduced activity. My legs felt fine with running, though, which was nice. It was just that the aerobic system wasn't tuned up. Hope that comes back soon.

Walked first 5, last 8 or so minutes.

Average HR for entire run: 133
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 41 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next