365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alpine half marathon - weather matters

+9
John Kilpatrick
Ben Z
Dave-O
Alex Kubacki
fostever
Schuey
Michele "1L" Keane
Chris M
JohnP
13 posters

Go down

Alpine half marathon - weather matters Empty Alpine half marathon - weather matters

Post  JohnP Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:53 pm

As a spur of the moment thing, I read an article on this local half marathon (Lake Zurich) on Thursday, signed up that day, and ran it on Sunday. Part of the reason is that I finally had a free weekend, and also I wanted to see where I am fitness wise as I think my training has been going very well. Also, and not least, the weather was forecasted to be pretty chilly on Sunday. I love local races as you don't have to get there so early, they are not that crowded, and it's a pretty friendly atmosphere.

My PR in a 1:42:15 and I really wanted to beat that. THough it was a hard workout week, I took Saturday off and felt that helped me a lot. Race day was about 42 degrees at the start, nearly perfect. THe course is slightly hilly but nothing like Cary March Madness. I was able to start way near the front as most people hung back not wanting to be on the front line. The horn wouldn't work so the guy yelled Go.

I can't remember a race where I ran such consistent splits. They were 7:40, 7:39, 7:40, 7:39, 7:43, 7:49, 7:38, 7:47, 7:49, 7:39, 7:47, 8:07, 7:43, :48. I think for the 8:07, I mentally checked out a bit but got it back together for the last mile. It was a good feeling to see the 1:41 on the clock as I near the finish line. Time was 1:41:33 - new PR for me. This predicts out to a 3:33 for the marathon which is good since I usually hit the predicted times since I mostly train for marathons. 8 more weeks to train so I may just hit my goal of 3:30. This is a very good race if in the area.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Alpine half marathon - weather matters Empty Re: Alpine half marathon - weather matters

Post  Chris M Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:06 am

Great spur of the moment PR!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Alpine half marathon - weather matters Empty Re: Alpine half marathon - weather matters

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:11 am

Way to go, John! It is always nice to have an unexpected PR!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:28 pm

Sweet!! All that great training you have been doing over the last year is really starting to show!!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Alpine? Lake Zurich? Apparently in reference to the name sake city. Anyhoo, nice PR, John. Looks like you should have a decent chance to PR in your Marathon.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Spur of the moment is great. No pressure leading up to it. Great job and congrats.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:30 pm

You definitely thrive in colder temperatures. Very strong and consistent race, John!
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Nice John, nice.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:02 pm

Great splits and congrats on the PR - makes me wonder if sometimes our heads get in the way of a good run sometimes! Good job.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Very nice! Way to rip out a PR on short notice. Maybe there's something to sneaking up on these things. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:51 am

Wowee! Fun! And smokin'!
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:12 am

Ah...surpassed your Indy Mini PR....wonderful!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:30 am

Way to go John! I thought I had already responded to your report but apparently I haven't. Things are looking good for a shiny new marathon PR. I hope it plays out as expected.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks all for the comments! And Dot, you are right, I finally beat my Indy mini PR. I did not mean to make it sound like a PR was unexpected. The race was unexpected but I feel really strong so was definitely hoping for one once I signed up.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down