365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pittsburgh Half Marathon

+14
Penelope
dot520
Michele "1L" Keane
Kenny B.
ounce
Jerry
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
Chris M
Diego
Lauren
Bob
Admin
Dave-O
18 posters

Go down

Pittsburgh Half Marathon Empty Pittsburgh Half Marathon

Post  Dave-O Mon May 07, 2012 7:29 pm

My race reports for the last two years have sounded like a broken record. “Training went well, I felt great during taper, I should be ready to PR, I sucked on race day, no PR, back to the drawing board.” You can apply the same line of thoughts to yesterday's 1:16:24.

Excuse my language, but I’m sick and fucking tired of it.

This one hurts even more than the rest, simply because unlike some of the other races, I have no excuse. In the fall of 2010, my half marathon was thwarted when I vomited during mile 9 thanks to my weak stomach/acid reflux. In the spring of 2011, a hip injury eliminated any chance at a fast race in Napa. In the fall of 2011, the heat extinguished yet another 2:30 attempt at the Chicago Marathon. But this race? I can’t point to any culprit. I made it through the training cycle healthy and the weather was favorable on race morning. I can only pin the blame on myself.

What’s even more frustrating is that I felt like absolute shit on race morning. Not in a sick way. I’ve been having trouble explaining it to others; the best I can describe it is that every muscle in my legs felt achy and tense. It’s like I couldn’t run in a relaxed fashion. See, in 2008 through 2010 – when I seemingly was rewarded with a PR at the end of every training cycle – I remember how explosive, smooth, and relaxed I’d feel after a full taper. I even coined the “Rule of 15 Seconds,” which meant that during taper any given effort level resulted in a pace 15 seconds quicker than during training. I think back to the Cherry Blossom 10 or Indy Mini and remember how much easier goal pace felt during the race.

I honestly haven’t toed the line of a race and felt that way since the spring of 2010. On Sunday, I executed my plan to go through 2 miles in 11:00, hitting it in 11:02. Deep down I knew I was “off” though. My stride felt sluggish. I hung in there and battled as long as I could, pleading with myself to get through 1 mile at a time. I made it through 6 still close to race plan – churning out miles in the mid 5:30’s. It wasn’t as fast as my “A” goal, but it was respectable. Still, I knew my effort level was too hard, the pace too forced. The downward slide began in miles 7 and 8. As bad as I wanted to step off the course, throw my shoes into the trash, and curse this entire stupid sport, I tried to stay in the race.

By mile 10 I was cooked, mentally and physically. My pace for miles 10, 11, and 12 was about 6:00, or maybe even a tad slower. I ran a 5:50 in mile 13 essentially just because my momentum carried me downhill. My hamstrings were incredibly tight, as if they were locked into permanent “flexed” mode. I was getting passed left and right and could not have cared less. My final time was a very disappointing 1:16. If you asked me on the spot when I’d race again, I would told you “never again.” And I would have meant it.

While that’s being overly dramatic, to say I’m frustrated with my performance in the past two years would be an understatement. Nothing illustrates that better than listing my half-marathon races since 2007:

1:19, 1:17, 1:13, 1:13, 1:11, 1:11, 1:13, 1:13, 1:14, 1:13, 1:15, 1:16.

I should expect a 1:19 next time out to complete the backwards slide. What. The. Fuck.

Even a day later, I’m at a loss for what went wrong. Though I didn’t have a breakthrough tune-up race or a perfect cycle by any means, the training was there. I hit my tempos, my long runs, and the majority of the planned volume. More than anything, it just didn’t come together during taper. The week of the race, I felt progressively worse as the week went on. I tried to attribute it to the normal taper process, but during my easy run on Saturday and warm-up on Sunday, I was faced with the unfortunate fact that my legs apparently didn’t make the trip. For whatever reason, taper didn’t work, and I most certainly did not peak.

I honestly don’t know what’s next. I’m running the Soldier Field 10 in three weeks, but that will basically just be off this training. You can forget about a PR there; I’ll be happy to run about 56:00 and salvage some semblance of decent race. After that, I think its time to turn the reigns over to someone else. Clearly, I’ve gone as far as I can as a Self-Coached Runner, and I need to reverse the trend I’m on. Because as things as going, I’m not willing to continue sacrificing 10-12 hours per week to get slower.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Pittsburgh Half Marathon Empty Re: Pittsburgh Half Marathon

Post  Dave-O Mon May 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Negativity aside, I want to mention some of the great positives to the weekend:

1. The elite treatment I received from the race directors and elite coordinator was top notch! Very convenient and relaxing pre and post-race staging, all the amenities, etc. Even when it’s not deserved, I will never tire of or take for granted that kind of treatment.

2. Special thanks to Chris’ buddy Scott and his son for not only taking me in for the weekend, but for serving as my personal chauffer. Hopefully I can repay the favor sometime in Chicago.

3. I’ll let Chris provide his own race report, but our outing to PNC park for the Pirates-Reds game was a blast. Chris scored us just about the best seats in the stadium, which included access to the Lexus Club and a bar that was kind enough to turn the Bulls game on for me. And when the Bulls lost, the bartender felt bad enough for me to pour a free Dogfish Head IPA.

So not everything sucked this weekend!
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 07, 2012 7:44 pm

I'm feelin' ya, Dave. Lord knows that you have put in a lot of training over the past few years. You've earned the right to be pissed off at the results. I agree that this race doesn't make much sense... I have a couple of thoughts, but I'll save 'em for later.

Rest up and give the 10 miler hell. After that, summer running! Pittsburgh Half Marathon 63558857

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Mon May 07, 2012 7:50 pm

I'm in no position to be giving you advice, so I'll just go with I agree totally with you on moving in another direction and getting a coach who will figure out what is best for you at this particular time in your life/training.

You've got quite a few more years of PR's in you, unlike me, so figure it out and go get them.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Lauren Mon May 07, 2012 8:54 pm

Sorry to hear your frustration on this Dave-I don't blame you on that. No shame in getting another viewpoint. You'll get it figured out, I have faith in that. Look forward!
Lauren
Lauren

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Mon May 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Dave-O,

I know how much it sucks to not have race day go as planned. But for you, I can't even come close to imagining what's going wrong these past few years and how you feel.

Buddy, I am so sorry!!
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon May 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Dave, racing is just a mystery. It is so hard to figure out why sometimes a great result pops out in the middle of a cycle without taper (you at CB10) and other times everything points towards a huge result but it just doesn't click (yesterday). Is there a runner on these boards that hasn't had a similar experience? I'm sure the pros go through days like you had yesterday pretty often. My God, every marathon I've run has been a massive disappointment that doesn't line up with my training. But you've also nailed some huge race results and with your unbelieveable base of fitness, you are due for some more amazing times very soon. Off of this cycle of training. You are simply in too good a level of fitness not to crush a race soon. I think you've got a good plan to get some input from some knowledgeable guys on how to best be in a position to unlock your great training on race day. You are not getting slower. You know that from your training times. There's sub 1:10 and then some in there. Maybe just sign up for a "what the hell?" half in the next couple of weeks? You are super fit right now - might as well throw a 2nd chance at it.

And here's how I REALLY know you've got big things in store....because you 100% guided me to my monster result yesterday! Dave guided me through a weird cycle of being completely primed to break under 3:00 at Boston but then calling it off a few days before due to the heat and then reloading for a hard shot at the Pittsburgh half. But with a Winter cycle of Dave-constructed training behind me, a strange double taper that had me crazy explosive feeling in the early miles and a Dave-designed approach to the Pittsburgh course, I was able to shave over 90 seconds off my half PR yestredat with a 1:22:48. There is 0% chance....and I mean 0%.....that I could run a time like that without having been coached and encouraged by Dave these past 3 years. I got myself to the BQ level and a 1:30 half stumbling around on my own un-coached and I was pumped to do that but all of the crazy work its taken since then has been with daily guidance from Dave. Dave is a unbelievable resource and knowledge center about running training. This training crap is hard and Dave deciphers it for me. So I think I'm in an excellent position to say I KNOW the training Dave has done will work and lead to significant race milestones. You are a minute or more per mile faster than me at every distance and workout time and pace etc so I know with dead certainity that you have a 1:09 in you right now. Nothing less. That's the speed and fitness you've got right now.

Now, all that aside, it was awesome to hang out on our brief visit to Pittsbugh. What a cool city, eh? Surprisingly (at least to me) really nice and beautiful city. Amazing ballpark, kick ass diner food, beers and Bulls. Ok, losing my wallet sucked but I was in post-race mental lockdown and probably threw it into the bottom of the PortaJohn for all I know. I could barely stand up after the race. It was a great time, as always, to hang out with you and just shoot the shit about nothing and everything.

You know you've got some huge race results coming. Go toe the line again soon.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon May 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Well that was not the result I was looking to see or thought I will happen at the end of this last cycle!

My advice to you is buckle it up as soon as possible and give it another try. The good thing about half is the recovery time is quicker and like Chris said just sign-up for a race with no pressure no expectations and just go out and race and run like hell and see what happens!

It will come Dave just believe!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue May 08, 2012 7:35 am

Sorry about the race Dave. Maybe as the others have said show up for another with no pressure and go for it. Maybe ditch the watch and run it by feel. You'll nail it at some point.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue May 08, 2012 1:13 pm

Sorry, Dave.

I am with Schuey on this one that you MUST give another try. Who knows what happened? But what we do know is not every race works out. Giving your level and seriousness on the training, you need to give another try.

But what does Jerry know. Very Happy

Can't believe Chris beat me in the season. Maybe I need to make another try myself.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 08, 2012 2:12 pm

Real bummer about your race. I'm sure a fresh approach or tweak would do your attitude a great boost.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Dave - Sorry it did not go as planned. I feel your frustration but I think you have a solution as you said "... I think its time to turn the reigns over to someone else.
Clearly, I’ve gone as far as I can as a Self-Coached Runner, and I need
to reverse the trend I’m on. Because as things as going, I’m not willing
to continue sacrificing 10-12 hours per week to get slower."

That makes great sense to me. There is a saying out there that goes If I can't, he can, so let him.

PS: Although you might be coaching others to great success sometimes the coach needs coaching! We see what others don't but sometimes not for ourselves. An outside observer might be your solution.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue May 08, 2012 4:29 pm

I have been in your shores (and I was your age). I did turn it over to a coach, and I never regretted again. I'm not going to say anything else except Cleveland is next weekend. Flat course!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue May 08, 2012 6:07 pm

That sort of disappointment cuts to the bone! Everyone has good suggestions for you. Mine is to come on back to Indy. Lousy weather this year, but traditionally we have cool/cold temps. It's gonna happen for you, I know it.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed May 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Sorry to hear it didn't work out with your goals. I can't imagine how frustrated you must feel, but I'm glad to hear you're not giving up. Everyone here knows you have tons more PRs in you--it's just a matter of figuring out why they aren't surfacing in your races. If you think of the PR as a finished ice sculpture, and your talent as the block of uncarved ice, it's in there--maybe a coach can help you get to it, as you mentioned you were thinking of.

The only other thoughts I have are: when you do PR, think how great it'll feel after this bad streak. Maybe you'll appreciate it even more than you otherwise would have and it'll be more special / meaningful to you after the above struggle. Maybe some of the slower races can serve as a springboard to get you mad enough at the past during the race to fuel you even more and get the PR. I don't know enough about elite racing, but I wonder if performance at your level comes in cycles / waves. Maybe after a 2-year streak of no PRs, something clicks and for the next few years you have a whole string of them. If you research other elite runners and their half times over the past 5-6 years, would you see a similar pattern of PR-less years / lack of improvement, followed by some major breakthroughs? Just a thought.

PS--glad you got to see PNC Park--so beautiful! If you didn't make it to Mount Washington for dinner this time, definitel head there next time--beautiful views. The Church Brewworks is another cool place for next time where they've taken an old church and made it into a microbrewery. The alter is where the beer is actually made. Good food, great beer, and a cool venue.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Wed May 09, 2012 1:41 pm

Is there an area of training where more dramatic distinctions are drawn coach to coach than taper? No wonder you - or anyone - has struggled to hit on the 'ideal' strategy as individuals.

If training has gone well, than maybe it make sense to try something different for taper. Maybe your muscle composition has changed enough after so many hears of intense training that what worked for you before isn't woking for you now. If you're doing three weeks, how about two? If two weeks, how abut three?

I doubt there's a single person you've ever met that's familiar with your runnng that doesn't want you to have that breakthrough performance. Me among them. That says a lot about your character, Dave. Hang tough.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Wed May 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Dave-O sometimes it's a hit/miss. You progress in your training and you hit a peak right during race day. Then other times you hit your peak during training and miss out on race day. I don't think it's anything you can pin point I just think the body will only peak at one certain point. Do you think maybe your legs were tired from the high miles? Because you mentioned they ached. What about sleep? Were you getting plenty of sleep? What about your diet leading up to the race? I'm just throwing things out there that I've experienced and not giving any advice whatsoever. Were all different and some training methods work for one and not another runner.

Your extremely talented and your race peaks are ahead of you because of your fitness level. I think sometimes are bodies don't want to do things at times. Just like when you have a bad training run. I'll I can say is I would take you has a coach/teammate any day of the week and know we would come out winners.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Wed May 09, 2012 6:15 pm

I don't have any substantiative advice other than keep trying to tweak different things and see what might work for you. Can't see you as being far off the mark. I agree at this point that a coach might be able to assist as good and well trained as you are already. New eyes might shed new light.

Mainly I wanted to say that I hope you can eventually sort it out and have a breakthrough performance that will encourage you along this path you have chosen.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed May 09, 2012 6:45 pm

Mr MattM wrote:I'm feelin' ya, Dave. Lord knows that you have put in a lot of training over the past few years. You've earned the right to be pissed off at the results. I agree that this race doesn't make much sense... I have a couple of thoughts, but I'll save 'em for later.

Thanks Matt. Pissed off period is over. I'm interested in your thoughts, whenever you are in the mood to offer them.

Bob wrote:I'm in no position to be giving you advice, so I'll just go with I agree totally with you on moving in another direction and getting a coach who will figure out what is best for you at this particular time in your life/training.

Thanks Bobby. If nothing else, I need to be ready for DWD....

Lauren wrote:Sorry to hear your frustration on this Dave-I don't blame you on that. No shame in getting another viewpoint. You'll get it figured out, I have faith in that. Look forward!

Onward and upward baby!

Diego wrote:Dave-O,

I know how much it sucks to not have race day go as planned. But for you, I can't even come close to imagining what's going wrong these past few years and how you feel.

I'll turn it around. Thanks.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed May 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Chris M wrote:
This training crap is hard and Dave deciphers it for me. So I think I'm in an excellent position to say I KNOW the training Dave has done will work and lead to significant race milestones.

The past few days left me wondering if the time I spent on running is worth it. Your post erased any doubts about that. Thank you.

Schuey wrote:Well that was not the result I was looking to see or thought I will happen at the end of this last cycle!

It will come Dave just believe!

When playing football at Providence, the fans had a chant during tough times: You gotta believe. I thought it was a little cheesy at times, but right now it seems applicable.

Alex Kubacki wrote:Sorry about the race Dave. Maybe as the others have said show up for another with no pressure and go for it. Maybe ditch the watch and run it by feel. You'll nail it at some point.

Low pressure may be the way to go...but it is easier said than done.

Jerry wrote:Sorry, Dave.

I am with Schuey on this one that you MUST give another try. Who knows what happened? But what we do know is not every race works out. Giving your level and seriousness on the training, you need to give another try.

I think my "other try" is just going to be the Soldier Field 10. I love that race and know I can perform well there.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed May 09, 2012 7:12 pm

ounce wrote:Real bummer about your race. I'm sure a fresh approach or tweak would do your attitude a great boost.

I sure hope so!

Kenny B. wrote:

PS: Although you might be coaching others to great success sometimes the coach needs coaching! We see what others don't but sometimes not for ourselves. An outside observer might be your solution.

I agree; the coach needs coaching. Thanks Kenny.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:I have been in your shores (and I was your age). I did turn it over to a coach, and I never regretted again. I'm not going to say anything else except Cleveland is next weekend. Flat course!

I hear ya...

dot520 wrote:That sort of disappointment cuts to the bone! Everyone has good suggestions for you. Mine is to come on back to Indy. Lousy weather this year, but traditionally we have cool/cold temps. It's gonna happen for you, I know it.

Haha, I do have a record of success in Indy.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed May 09, 2012 7:15 pm

Penelope wrote:

PS--glad you got to see PNC Park--so beautiful! If you didn't make it to Mount Washington for dinner this time, definitel head there next time--beautiful views. The Church Brewworks is another cool place for next time where they've taken an old church and made it into a microbrewery. The alter is where the beer is actually made. Good food, great beer, and a cool venue.

Thanks for the comments Kathy, and I did make it up to Mt. Washington on Saturday.

Martin VW wrote:

I doubt there's a single person you've ever met that's familiar with your runnng that doesn't want you to have that breakthrough performance. Me among them. That says a lot about your character, Dave. Hang tough.

This thought means a lot....thanks VW.

kory.wheatley@gmail.com wrote:.
I'll I can say is I would take you has a coach/teammate any day of the week and know we would come out winners.

As does this one. Thanks for the encouragement Kory.

jon c wrote:

Mainly I wanted to say that I hope you can eventually sort it out and have a breakthrough performance that will encourage you along this path you have chosen.

You and me both!

OK, time for a run. Running
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed May 09, 2012 8:45 pm

The only advice I could give would be maybe don't put so much pressure on yourself. Hopefully you still enjoy the act of running. Compared to most you are still throwing down some decent times. If you can, go back and track what you were doing back when you had your peak times and try to mirror that. Sorry you had a crappy race, but you may surprise yourself at the soldier field race. Hey at least you had a fun weekend.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down