365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boston 2012

+27
Vivian
Lauren
JohnP
wrichman
Dave-O
Alex Kubacki
Chris M
mountandog
Jenny O
jon c
littlewally and farnk
Mark B
Julie
carleenp
Dave Wolfe
Peg Coover
fostever
Randy E
Seth Harrison
Jeff F
healdgator
Jack_Scaff
Jim Lentz
ounce
KathyK
Joel H
Michele "1L" Keane
31 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Boston 2012 Empty Boston 2012

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:06 pm

I was actually really looking forward to Boston this year as I thought I had a chance of bettering my NYC time and running the fastest over the course than I had in a decade. I also hoped to "equal" my age-graded Boston best that was accomplished in 1986, and I can tell that I am most definitely in shape for that as even my slow Boston time will reveal. Of course as we all know, Mother Nature threw us more of a knukleball than a curve yesterday with temperatures at the start around 79F and 87F at the finish. According to Monday night's Boston news, the pavement temperature was measured at 103F at Cleveland Circle at 1PM.

I've pretty much crashed and burned in all previous marathons that I've attempted to run in those types of temperatures, so I knew that if I was going to run, I had to have a pretty sound plan and try my best to stick to it. I did debate deferring the race since I have a -14 BQ for next year if I want to use it (and if I do it had better SNOW), I debated dropping out at 12 miles (Mom's house) and I debated running slowly with my friend. In the end, after talking with my coach, I decided to run it albeit dialed back with the ultimate plan to walk through every water stop from the first one (around mile 2.5) grabbing and drinking one cup of Gatorade, one of water, and a third for my head.

I started off faster than I wanted although I must admit, I was not tracking my mile pace only my 5K splits, but that first downhill section is more than tough to control as gravity simply pulls you along and to put on the brakes is simply stupid in my opinion. I was being passed by 1000s of runners in those first 3-4 miles, and I began my water stop strategy at the very first one.

When I reached my Mom at mile 12, she had a bottle of Gatorade for me which I took with me. I felt great at the time and told her that I expected to run/walk the hills and that I figured I'd slow down by BC, so look for me around 4:15 or so for a finish. I took off and continued on my plan. The energy in Wellesley was not what I hoped for, but I did get some of the women going with my "1983 Wellesley Chant", and I continued on. I felt that the temperatures were going up, but I was determined to only walk the length of those tables (on the left side) and remained as steady with effort as I possibly could. My first goal after Wellesley was to get to the highway hill, and the next thing I knew, I was there.

After crossing the highway, I made my next goal to get to Heartbreak Hill. Again, my strategy was to simply walk only the water stops, but I was determined to give myself the out if I needed it to walk the hills. I was never so thankful for the spectators and volunteers along this stretch from 17 through 21 as I was handed numerous deliciously cold paper towels and ice cubes. My biggest thanks goes to the women at mile 20 who ran up to me with ice cubes saying "I got you Atlanta - to the finish, yes you will" as I placed those cubes in the palm of my hands and they continued to trick me into feeling cool until BC.

As we passed BC, my goal was simply Cleveland Circle - getting to the base of that hill was going to be the next challenge. A runner dropped in front of me due to cramps, and as I was about to stop two spectators and a policewoman seemed to come out of nowhere and grab him. I kept going. I was taking in fluids and salt tablets and gels at a regular rate, and although I felt zapped, I knew by then that I only had 5 miles to go and I would get there. Right before Cleveland Circle, I felt my left shin/calf cramp just a bit, so I quickly adjusted my stride - and it was gone. On to Coolidge Corner.

The next 2 miles were a battle, but a good one. There was now shade on the right hand side of the street and I continued my walk strategy until just after mile 23. I was simultaneously amazed as to how many runners I was passing, and how many were actually passing me. Just past the little hill at Coolidge Corner, I caught an Atlanta Track Club friend who is a 2:50 marathoner. He was walking and I slowed and called his name to make sure he was ok, he told me that he was fine, to keep going, that I looked great, and not to stop - so I didn't. And on to that nasty Fenway Bridge into Kenmore Square.

By this time, I was almost at mile 24, and I realized that I could indeed do anything for 2 miles and that I had run 2 miles many a time that hurt more than these two would. With the Citgo sign looming, I abandoned my water stop walking and ran the next 2.2 miles to the finish (and interestingly enough, my 5k pace went back to 9:11 from 9:28).

I have never been so happy at Boston to go under the Mass Ave overpass and feel a little breeze knowing that the turn onto Hereford lay ahead. I gave whatever I had left to crest that little hill up to Boyleston and even though it is the longest half mile in the world, I still ran down to that ever elusive finish line with everything I had left.

Am I pleased with yesterday - absolutely! I finished in 4:00:11, and I was the 3rd fastest member of my ATC Masters Team (and the slowest qualifier!). I've learned a lot about running, training and marathoning in the last couple of years most importantly that a little extra effort in training and hard work do indeed pay off even in the worst nightmare of conditions. My splits might be slow and all over the place, but that wasn't the point yesterday. So what regarding the 8:36 positive split, the hills are hard and they were hot. I finished the race as best as I possible could. I did not crash and burn. I did not wilt in the heat. I did not let Mother Nature or even the Boston course win. I did.

I called my Mom as soon as I got my phone. Her first question was "Where are you?", and I answered walking back to my hotel - she said, "Are you ok?" and I said, "Of course, I'm done." Pause, and then, "wow, that's way better than I ever expected today." Yup, Mom, me too.

PS Of course, what are the odds that Judy and I would run into none other than Bob Winter on the walk to the buses in the early am? And that I would then look up after crossing the finish line only to see Bob right in front of me. Nice run, Bob - you were so happy and that was awesome!

PPS Judy had a tough time and dropped out at mile 20 which was the right decision as she was dizzy and nauseous. She was fine by the time they got her to the finish and all she wanted was a burger and a beer.

17002 Keane, Michele C. 50 F Atlanta GA USA
5k 10k 15k 20k Half 25k 30k 35k 40k
0:26:43 0:54:17 1:21:42 1:49:45 1:55:42 2:17:51 2:47:31 3:17:19 3:47:41
Finish: Pace Proj. Time Offl. Time Overall Gender Division
0:09:10 4:00:11 4:00:11 8678 2465 77

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Boston 2012 Empty Re: Boston 2012

Post  Joel H Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Great job on executing your strategy to a T and doing a great job finishing Boston. You are one impressive lady!
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:56 pm

So impressed, Michele...you had a plan and you executed it perfectly! You are a warrior! Big congrats on that tough race!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:02 pm

Great job, Michele. How are the little aches and/or pains, today?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Very nicely done, Michele!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:09 pm

Nice, Michele - glad it worked out for someone, given those conditions!
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:36 pm

That's awesome, Michele!!! Congrats!
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:46 pm

Well executed plan, congratulations!

I had a similar plan for the 2010 Chicago, I don't think the conditions were as extreme as Boston but being conservative due to the conditions can work if you are physically and mentally prepared.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Terrific job Michele...you really stuck to and executed your plan brilliantly. Knowing the course as you do obviously was a great asset. You conquered the conditions and didn't let the weather or the course beat you. Very impressive! Fantastic report!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:52 pm

Michele, congratulations on a finely executed race. As I read, your descriptions of various place on the course helped me visualize it over again, particularly that little last hill as you approach Boylston. Your right, it seems like it takes forever to reach the finish line.
Nice job. I wish I would have run into you, not literally, of course.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:57 pm

Nice meeting you be it ever so briefly at the Pru. Hope you and the girls had fun. Congrats on a solid finish on a brutal day! I heard last year's winner was walking near Fenway according to the sports announcer. There was definitely no shame in that. We barely had a breeze until the slight one at the end.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:46 pm

What a great joy to read your enthusiastic report about a great race--strategy to the T!! Loved all the details!

Congratulations!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:59 pm

Wow, smart and tough. You beat both the weather and the course.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Awesome job! It takes a lot to stick with the plan when you have to change it like that, and then stick it out through those conditions too. You excelled at both!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:15 pm

You ran a smart and good race, Michele! I'm glad you stayed safe and I'm really glad that your training has been going so well. What is next?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:16 pm

Prom, Graduation and the Move! But as for running, a bit of downtime due to the next busy month or so, and then into the summer with a couple of half marathons and then NYC, yet again.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:39 pm

Great report and a great job out there Monday.

It wasn't just the training that got you so successfully through that heat-fest yesterday, you know. It was years of accumulated experience and wisdom that helped you make the right decision time after time. You managed this race like a pro and showed your mastery, not only of the distance, but of the conditions. Bravo.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewally and farnk Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:54 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:

I've learned a lot about running, training and marathoning in the last couple of years most importantly that a little extra effort in training and hard work do indeed pay off even in the worst nightmare of conditions.

I would run into none other than Bob Winter on the walk to the buses in the early am? And that I would then look up after crossing the finish line only to see Bob right in front of me. Nice run, Bob - you were so happy and that was awesome!

TWO great things:
I could have written the green comment for any of my last 8 Marathons.
So impressed with Bob's accomplishment!
littlewally and farnk
littlewally and farnk

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:56 pm

Congrats Michele, it was nice to meet you briefly at the food court. Glad your daughter seems excited about BU. That is cool.

As for your race, you did very well and I am glad that things worked out the way they did for you. It was great that you had contingencies if it hadn't worked out but you listened to your body and acted accordingly.

I wonder too if running in the warm weather in Atlanta helped overall. It seemed to me that I got hot very early, but then realized it wasn't going to get any worse so it was a matter of seeing if you could outlast it, and of course stay hydrated. I honestly think it helped me running in the summer heat last year, even though we had only a week or so of 80 plus weather last month to begin to acclimate to warm weather running.

The people out on the course were the best. They really seemed to realize what the runners needed. I was truly impressed with how the community responded to the circumstances of the race.

Again, congrats on executing your plan successfully.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny O Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:31 pm

Wow! I'm impressed! Huge congrats!
Jenny O
Jenny O

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:14 pm

Smart water stop strategy. It was hell out there so I really think your strategy and ability to stick to it was brilliant. Congrats on the run.

Hey -- wasn't it nice to come home to the ATL Half Award in the mail? Especially after Monday?
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:32 pm

It was great to finally meet you (too briefly) on Saturday. Great job on Monday. I'm hoping you are coming East to be part of the JFK party in November. We'll see you then if not before.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:39 am

Just a phenominal job in those conditions. You executed a great plan. Congrats.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:39 am

Very impressive race, Michele. I know there's no calculator that can factor in the conditions (103 on the pavement!!!!), but if there was, your performance would score very high. Your experience and expertise paid off today!

Now, time to find you a cool, fast race to really show off your fitness.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:24 am

Very impressive, Michelle. You ran well in the conditions, which not too many of us can say. Congratulations on a well-run race!
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next