365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HR monitor wacky during race

+3
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
Stephanie
7 posters

Go down

HR monitor wacky during race Empty HR monitor wacky during race

Post  Stephanie Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:52 pm

A few weeks ago I ran a half marathon at Disney and was wearing my Garmin HR monitor. My HR readouts were INSANE!! I didn't realize until after the race that I must have been picking up readings from other people's monitors. Has this happened to you? The entire race I just ingonred my HR and figure it'll be useless to wear it during larger races in the future. Is this common?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

HR monitor wacky during race Empty Re: HR monitor wacky during race

Post  ounce Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:28 pm

I have not heard of such. Mine did act a little peculiar, until I figure out the strap was sliding down my chest/stomach and giving me a funky reading.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:30 pm

Not recently; however, back when I had my first monitor in 2000 -01, it used to go nuts around some of the larger homes with security systems on this one route I ran.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:22 pm

Running past larger homes? Weird! Josh also ran with my Garmin (it was our relay exchange baton Razz ) but he didn't have the HR monitor on and we have HR & foot pod data for his half of the marathon. I was very surprised that I was picking up others' HRs... that, or I have a max HR of 240. affraid

HR monitor wacky during race Screen12
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:49 pm

No one has a HR of 240 during a race. I'm guessing your HR strap was getting static interference from your top. Happens to me often when on the bike or if I run in the wind.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:03 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:No one has a HR of 240 during a race. I'm guessing your HR strap was getting static interference from your top. Happens to me often when on the bike or if I run in the wind.
Ya I've had that happen to me too - it's a regular occurrence during the cold, dry winter months. Once I saw my HR was in zone 6.7 I knew something was up and I didn't look at my HR again.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Heh. Yeah, 240 might be a teensy bit high, eh?

That's happened to me, too, when my HR strap slips out of position. You'd think it'd simply show no reading when that happens, but noo...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:32 pm

This happens all the time with the new-style Garmin HR straps and I'm fairly sure it has nothing to do with interference. I got so fed up that I went out and bought a Polar RCX5. I really prefer my Garmin 310XT, but it was no good for HR-based training. I have heard of two solutions:

1. Wash the strap with an anti-static fabric softener. If that doesn't work...

2. ...buy a Polar strap, without the transmitter. The Garmin transmitter fits and apparently works well. I intend to try this. I'm just a bit worried that, if it works, I shall have paid an awful lot for a strap :-)
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:43 pm

Chris Coleman wrote:This happens all the time with the new-style Garmin HR straps and I'm fairly sure it has nothing to do with interference. I got so fed up that I went out and bought a Polar RCX5. I really prefer my Garmin 310XT, but it was no good for HR-based training. I have heard of two solutions:

1. Wash the strap with an anti-static fabric softener. If that doesn't work...

2. ...buy a Polar strap, without the transmitter. The Garmin transmitter fits and apparently works well. I intend to try this. I'm just a bit worried that, if it works, I shall have paid an awful lot for a strap :-)
Thanks for the tips! I too have the 310XT. I will try the fabric softener first and if that doesn't work I will look into getting a Polar strap. So I just attach my Garmin transmitter to the Polar strap and I'm good to go?

Last edited by Stephanie on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:47 pm

Just found this link with details on how to swap out the Garmin strap with the Polar strap. I'm definitely going to go this route now. Thanks for pointing this out to me Chris!

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/solution-to-heart-rate-dropoutsspikes.html
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:27 am

I tried it a few days ago and it works perfectly. I didn't need to spend all that Money on a Polar RCX5, when all I needed was the HR strap.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:12 am

Chris Coleman wrote:I tried it a few days ago and it works perfectly. I didn't need to spend all that Money on a Polar RCX5, when all I needed was the HR strap.
That's wonderful - glad it's working so well! Is it as comfortable as the Garmin strap is?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Chris Coleman wrote:I tried it a few days ago and it works perfectly. I didn't need to spend all that Money on a Polar RCX5, when all I needed was the HR strap.
That's wonderful - glad it's working so well! Is it as comfortable as the Garmin strap is?
Better, if anything. But in most other respects I still prefer the Garmin. Anyone want a Polar RCX5 without HR strap? Buyer collects from the United Arab Emirates. Didn't think so. Oh, well!
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks. I have both straps already and will swap now as the FR 610 is my new everything watch.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down