365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garmin heart rate monitor problems

+5
Stephanie
Jim Lentz
Mike MacLellan
John Kilpatrick
Reina
9 posters

Go down

Garmin heart rate monitor problems Empty Garmin heart rate monitor problems

Post  Reina Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi all!

I got a new Garmin Heart Rate monitor when I got the new Garmin 610 about 2 months ago. It was working fine until a few days ago ... and now it's giving me really really high heart rate readings - way out of line compared to how I feel and what I have seen for years using other heart rate monitors. Like an average heart rate of 197 when the day before on the same basic run, same distance etc... the average was 144 - which is pretty typical for me.

Anyone else had weird high heart rate readings? I'd think it was in need of a new battery, but it's NEW!

Thanks in advance!

--Reina
Reina
Reina
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Garmin heart rate monitor problems Empty Re: Garmin heart rate monitor problems

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:45 pm

Does it act up at the beginning of a run or throughout? I know if I forget to wet my HR strap, it will spaz out for a little while before settling down with my real HR. I'm guessing your real HR is probably nowhere near 197? There may be something really wrong with it, but maybe try wetting the contact area of the monitor and see if it helps... Its new so it shouldn't be a problem, but the battery in the HR strap might give weird signals if low? Just another idea...

Good luck

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:19 am

Mine does it. My old one did it only on the bike. New one, same model, does it constantly. To the point where I sometimes take the thing and just pull it down to my waist so I don't get so frustrated. It's pretty arbitrary, too, though if I'm really sweating up a storm, it doesn't do it as much. But average sweat/moisture levels are half and half.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:50 pm

That typically happens if it is too loose and the contacts aren't wet. Try putting water on the contacts before you put on the monitor and snug it up a little.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Mine acts up and gives ridiculously high readings at the beginning of a run during the winter. I think it's because everything is so dry & there's static electricity in my clothes. Could it be loose clothing that is causing the misfire? Does the problem go away once you're a little sweaty?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:17 pm

Stephanie wrote:Mine acts up and gives ridiculously high readings at the beginning of a run during the winter. I think it's because everything is so dry & there's static electricity in my clothes. Could it be loose clothing that is causing the misfire? Does the problem go away once you're a little sweaty?

I have that problem when it's cooler out, too. I have gotten that problem a lot in the winter, so I take a glob of aloe vera gel and smooth it on the HR strap. That allows contact until your body gets warmed up and perspiration can make the contact work.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:07 am

Like Mark, I use aloe as well. Even using water didnt always work for me, so I make sure my strap is very tight, and I slather a glob of aloe across the strap and my chest (where the strap will be) and it works great. Otherwise, I had the same issues at times - 30 seconds into a run, it was telling me my HR was 180! Not possible.
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:15 am

Mark B wrote:
Stephanie wrote:Mine acts up and gives ridiculously high readings at the beginning of a run during the winter. I think it's because everything is so dry & there's static electricity in my clothes. Could it be loose clothing that is causing the misfire? Does the problem go away once you're a little sweaty?

I have that problem when it's cooler out, too. I have gotten that problem a lot in the winter, so I take a glob of aloe vera gel and smooth it on the HR strap. That allows contact until your body gets warmed up and perspiration can make the contact work.

Ken Mello wrote:Like Mark, I use aloe as well. Even using water didnt always work for me, so I make sure my strap is very tight, and I slather a glob of aloe across the strap and my chest (where the strap will be) and it works great. Otherwise, I had the same issues at times - 30 seconds into a run, it was telling me my HR was 180! Not possible.
Great suggestion! I will be sure to use aloe vera gel this winter. Thanks!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:58 pm

May have to start trying aloe. I wet mine and have it on pretty damn snug and it still goes wonky.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:48 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:May have to start trying aloe. I wet mine and have it on pretty damn snug and it still goes wonky.

Yup, aloe is the key. Its just like that gel they put on you at the hospital - conductive. And it doesnt dry up immediately, so you have time to get a sweat going
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:01 am

I bought a tube of that electrolyte (or whatever it is) gel that they use when hooking you up for ekg's etc. A tube cost me $3 about 10 years ago and it's a life time supply. Works like a charm. I just put a dab on the two HRM spots, a dab on my skin and I've never had conduction problems.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:09 am

Very good advice by all! I would only repeat - tightening the band so it has a very snug fit.
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Reina Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:24 am

Thanks all! I will try the aloe gel. I never used to have this problem ... but maybe I sweat less or the strap is less tight now that I've lost weight?

In any case, thanks for the suggestions!

--Reina
Reina
Reina
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down