365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Odds for a US Olympic marathon medal

+7
fostever
John Kilpatrick
Chris M
Kenny B.
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave P
ssilvert
11 posters

Go down

Odds for a US Olympic marathon medal Empty Odds for a US Olympic marathon medal

Post  ssilvert Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:48 am

My take on medal possibilities, in order of OT finish:

MEN
Meb has PR'd in his last two marathons. So he's obviously in the best
shape of his life. But he'll need another PR and a major heatwave to
medal in London. Meb is great in the heat.
Odds to medal: 20-1, but 5-1 if it's over 80 degrees.

Hall needs to train at altitude before London. Staying at sea level
before the trials hurt him at the end of the race. Even though he made it look easy
and he wasn't striving for his best, he also wasn't AT HIS BEST. He'll be better in London but he'll still be outclassed.
Odds to medal: 8-1

Abdi will go for it, but he will fade and end up out of the top 20. There's just too much talent out there on the men's side for Abdi to sneak in.
Odds to medal: 50-1.

WOMEN
Shalane is indeed a medal contender and the only American with a
legitimate shot to win it all. She's the only one on the same level as
the top women in the world.
Odds to medal: 4-1.

Desi is a smart racer with a lot of heart. But she'll be outclassed in London. But she's also short, which would give her a boost if it's unusually hot.
Odds to medal: 20-1, but 8-1 if it's over 80 degrees.

Kara will be in better shape by the time London rolls around. But she'll still be a long shot shot for bronze. I give her slightly better odds than Desi because she's slightly more talented.
Odds to medal: 18-1
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Odds for a US Olympic marathon medal Empty Re: Odds for a US Olympic marathon medal

Post  Dave P Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:12 am

Interesting take on the odds of a medal.

I enthusiastically wait for summer with great anticipation.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Odds for a US Olympic marathon medal Empty Re: Odds for a US Olympic marathon medal

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:14 am

I tend to agree with your take, Stan. I think it will be a major long shot for our men to medal, but our women definitely have a chance. Of course, I don't think anyone would have given Meb high odds to win the silver in Athens, so who knows.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:13 pm

I actually think Hall will have a better shot in London over Meb but don't think any American Male will place in the top 3.

Woman I tend to like Shalane "Sea Bass" Flanagan for a top 3 place and Desi to out run Goucher. I think Goucher has true grit but not sure she can keep up with the competition give her top 7.

Hall 6
Abdi 8
Meb 10+

Shalane 2
Desi 5
Groucher 7

Those are my pics as of today!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Kenny B. wrote:I actually think Hall will have a better shot in London over Meb but don't think any American Male will place in the top 3.

Woman I tend to like Shalane "Sea Bass" Flanagan for a top 3 place and Desi to out run Goucher. I think Goucher has true grit but not sure she can keep up with the competition give her top 7.

Hall 6
Abdi 8
Meb 10+

Shalane 2
Desi 5
Groucher 7

Those are my pics as of today!

Are those your odds or is that where you think they will place?
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:59 pm

That's where I think they will place. I don't know much about odds.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:33 pm

I'm putting $100 each on Desi and Kara to medal at Stan's odds. Well, not the lowered odds for Desi if it is hot. But at the 18-1 and 20-1 odds, I really like my bets. For the men? 8-1 seems about right for Hall. A lot a lot a lot of things would have to go right for him and wrong for others in the race for him to medal. There will likely be 3 sub 2:04 guys in the race just from Keyna!! Who of those is Hall going to beat, let alone the other guys from other countries in the race. Yikes, that will be a fast race.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:36 pm

What are the odds that Hall leads the race for some significant portion of the first half?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:48 pm

I think a lot will have to do with the weather since they run these Olympic races sometimes at the hottest times of the day. The heat definitely favors the African runners. To early to make a prediction. Shalane is definitely a favorite to medal among the US runners.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:10 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:What are the odds that Hall leads the race for some significant portion of the first half?

I'll put my life savings on "yes," John.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:54 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:What are the odds that Hall leads the race for some significant portion of the first half?

+1
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:23 am

fostever wrote:I think a lot will have to do with the weather since they run these Olympic races sometimes at the hottest times of the day. The heat definitely favors the African runners. To early to make a prediction. Shalane is definitely a favorite to medal among the US runners.

I just read that the women's race will be run at 11:00am. I assume the men's race will go off at the same time.

As we saw in Athens, the heat does not necessarily favor African runners. On the men's side the first African finished 7th.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics_2004/athletics/results/3532860.stm

The African women did better, placing 2nd and 4th. But one Kenyan and one Ethiopian DNF'd.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics_2004/athletics/results/3532868.stm

I don't think heat favors Africans. Heat does favor short runners though. That's a proven fact.

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:08 am

ssilvert wrote:
fostever wrote:I think a lot will have to do with the weather since they run these Olympic races sometimes at the hottest times of the day. The heat definitely favors the African runners. To early to make a prediction. Shalane is definitely a favorite to medal among the US runners.

I just read that the women's race will be run at 11:00am. I assume the men's race will go off at the same time.

As we saw in Athens, the heat does not necessarily favor African runners. On the men's side the first African finished 7th.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics_2004/athletics/results/3532860.stm

The African women did better, placing 2nd and 4th. But one Kenyan and one Ethiopian DNF'd.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics_2004/athletics/results/3532868.stm

I don't think heat favors Africans. Heat does favor short runners though. That's a proven fact.

Stan
Well let's see, 2004 silver medalist Meb is originally from where? Also what about the 2008 Olympic sauna? Sammy was from where? Also 7 Africans in the top 8 in 2008 on the men's side.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:45 pm

fostever wrote:
ssilvert wrote:

Stan
Well let's see, 2004 silver medalist Meb is originally from where? Also what about the 2008 Olympic sauna? Sammy was from where? Also 7 Africans in the top 8 in 2008 on the men's side.
Genetically, Meb is from the same part of the world as the other (more talented) East Africans he beat. For instance, the great Paul Tergat ran that race but finished 10th. He's five inches taller than Meb. The difference was Meb's size, not his genetics. It actually helps to prove my point.

2008 wasn't as hot as 2004. Starting temp in 2008 was 74 degrees. 2004 starting temp was 80. That's a fairly big difference as heat tolerance doesn't scale linearly. But as far as it goes, Sammy was only 5' 4", so he had a nice height advantage over most of the field in 2008.

I can state unequivocally that there is no proven advantage to African heritage when it comes to racing in the heat. But it is a proven fact that shorter runners handle it better than taller runners.

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:08 pm

As a gambling man, I can't argue with your odds. Seem pretty accurate to me.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Odds are pretty good.

But I have to disagree with your one comment about Kara being more talented than Desi. To me talent is just as much about being able to put in the hard work and not get injured.

I will bet anyone $20 if both are injury-free in training that Desi beats Kara in London. Any takers? We can even settle up over PayPal post race Wink
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:53 pm

Ben Z wrote:Odds are pretty good.

But I have to disagree with your one comment about Kara being more talented than Desi. To me talent is just as much about being able to put in the hard work and not get injured.

I will bet anyone $20 if both are injury-free in training that Desi beats Kara in London. Any takers? We can even settle up over PayPal post race Wink

I'm taking the bet. Go Kara! Assuming both start (we'll use that as the injury test) $20 to you if Desi beats Kara and vice versa.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Deal Chris! Should I give you my gmail address for payment now or do you wanna wait until mile 25 when Desi is 2 minutes up?

Can't believe I'm saying this btw because I love Kara (but maybe more so for other reasons) Wink
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:49 am

Ben Z wrote:Odds are pretty good.

Good point. And Desi is 2-0 against Kara in their last two races. So that counts for something.

But I wouldn't take any bets on that. It's too close to call.

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:20 pm

Ben Z wrote:Deal Chris! Should I give you my gmail address for payment now or do you wanna wait until mile 25 when Desi is 2 minutes up?

Can't believe I'm saying this btw because I love Kara (but maybe more so for other reasons) Wink

We'll definitely have a live Olympic marathon tracking thread going here - although I still have some long shot hopes that work sends me to London then...not likely - and we'll trash talk each other during that and settle up after one of them MEDALS to win the bet!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:11 pm

Hmm, no love for Shalane then, huh:?:

BTW, I am still trying to understand Hanson's plan for the masses(on RWOL, or RT), which is basically a watered down HH program with two speed days(one being MP) and a long run that maxes out at 16 miles and about 65 miles per week.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down