365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indy All Women's Half marathon Inaugural

+8
Dave-O
John Kilpatrick
Jim Lentz
charles.moman
Michele "1L" Keane
Peg Coover
Stephanie
dot520
12 posters

Go down

Indy All Women's Half marathon Inaugural Empty Indy All Women's Half marathon Inaugural

Post  dot520 Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:36 pm

Had to sign up for this inaugural half marathon in Indy that was downtown this morning. The race director, Ken Long, put this one on in honor of women and women in the military. Everything about the lead up to this race was first class. The womens' tech tshirt was a deep magenta, a floral pattern on the front, a few sponsors on one sleeve and nothing on the back. Really nice Asics shirt (sp?). At the expo they had the Paul Mitchell school of Beauty there giving spa treatments for tips. Low entry fee of something like $35 which is awesome these days.

Pros:

-12 water AND Gatorade stops since the morning started out at 78 degrees.

-The med tents had crushed iced for the asking and I did ask otherwise I would have had to take out a gal who was putting some in her water bottle from an unknown source. LOL

-There was a band afterwards, Oaken Barrel Brewhouse supplied beer, mimosas, Bloody mary's.

-The course was an extension of other Indy courses, but had some new territory as well.

-The med personel were highly visible on bikes....good thing.

-The police were out in force and did a tremendous job with the traffic.

Cons:

-It was hot, freakin' hot. The first 4 water stops were totally unprepared for the masses and had warm water (when you waited around for them to pour it....this was very unfortunate>

-It was hot...oh, I already said that didn't I? Never saw a yellow flag, never saw a red flag, but my friend tells me who finished about an hour after me that it was Black flagged about the time that I finished. Definite mid to high 80's but the dewpoint was too high and the index went with it. Today will hit 96 degrees in the afternoon.

My story: I already knew that coming into this I wasn't going to race it. I'm screwed up with my training and I'm not in tip top condition. I was going to use it as a long run which I did. I knew it was going to be freakin' hot, so that would slow me even more, which it did. Somewhere around mile 12 I was at an intersection and the policewoman was stopping traffic and the way I felt...hell, I told her just to let them run me over...please. LOL I'm a cold weather runner and I know that I was on the verge of some heat sickness even with tossing warm water over me to cool off. Somewhere around mile 11 I was feeling very cold and knew that was a sign of something. Snapped out of it and started sweating again in the direct sunlight....and finished. Yeah! Grabbed some orange slices, water and banana and headed to my car to sit in the air conditioning. Headed home with an awesome looking medal...the prettiest one I've ever seen.

Note: Interesting - There was a mother daughter team out there...I'd say the girl might have been around 10 or 11 years old. The mother was READING a book to her as she ran! No joke, running along side of her and reading, flipping pages etc. Wow!! That was darn incredible to me.

I'd pos the medal but it's taking too long to download right now. Sent it to facebook.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Indy All Women's Half marathon Inaugural Empty Re: Indy All Women's Half marathon Inaugural

Post  Stephanie Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:58 pm

Sounds like a great event Dot, even with how hot it was. Too bad about not being able to post a pic of the medal... I would love to see it. And that's awesome about that mother/daughter team... my mom is miserable about being overweight and I'm trying to get her to ride her bike with me during my longer runs. It's nice that they are sharing in that together. The mom's pretty talented to be able to read & run... I'm too much of a klutz. Razz
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Indy All Women's Half marathon Inaugural Empty Re: Indy All Women's Half marathon Inaugural

Post  Peg Coover Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:19 am

Sounds awesome but I would've hit the beer tent! If the only con was the weather, sounds like a great event!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:56 am

Congrats Dot an a job well done. As for the book reading, seriously? I'd have fallen in a hole or something.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Indy All Women's Half marathon Inaugural Empty Here's the awesome medal

Post  dot520 Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:05 pm

Hope I can get this to right size. So far it's either too tiny or gigantic. Not sure how to make it in between a thumbnail and this size. I had 'resize' on the hosting popup.

Indy All Women's Half marathon Inaugural Imag0118
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:09 pm

Way to go Dot my friend!
It was over 100 here in Seymour yesterday - I bet it was over 100 on the Indy streets.
I know about loading audiobooks on your iPod, but not about Mom unloading them on the run!
I would surely be flat on my face within a block or two if I tried that.

I am thinking about doing the Kennekuk Wild Wild Wilderness Train Run on 9/25.
I also am interested in their Siberian Trail run at the same place in January.
Now THAT is a race for a cold weather girl like you! Laughing
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:34 pm

Great job doing the half in such hot weather, Dot! The is one nice looking medal.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:21 am

LOVE that medal!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:39 am

Good job on getting through what sounds like a tough run! I'm also amazed at the mother/daughter team. It is all I can do not to fall down myself sometimes when I only have myself to worry about and am keeping my eyes on the road!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:06 pm

reading a book, huh? Never heard that one before.

Nice job in terribly hot conditions.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:09 pm

Ooooo, that IS a purdy medal! Smile Thanks for posting!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:47 pm

Nice job, Dot. It's never fun in the heat so it's good you weren't trying for a PR. I am also not a hot weather runner. Sounds like a great race though, especially for $35, what a bargain.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:26 pm

That really is a beautiful meadow.

The book reading story reminded me of a guy who ran in my vicinity for most of my race today - he whistled the whole way! I suppose that is a way of making sure you don't run too fast, but after a while I wanted to silence that canary!

Good thing the race was over before you were toast...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Awesome finish. I hate the heat too. Will have to encourage all my female friends to run this just for the medal. Really nice!!
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:54 am

Great job getting it done in those conditions Dot.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down