365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road to Nowhere

+28
Dave P
wheakory
Jerry
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
Dave-O
Dave Wolfe
ounce
Michael Enright
KathyK
dot520
Neil Ruggiero
mul21
Seth Harrison
MioMabusy
Joel H
Kenny B.
Glenn
Michele "1L" Keane
charles.moman
John Kilpatrick
JohnP
Traveller
Sara Jane
Bob
Mike MacLellan
Tom H
Mark B
32 posters

Page 20 of 43 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31 ... 43  Next

Go down

Road to Nowhere - Page 20 Empty Re: Road to Nowhere

Post  Mark B Mon May 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Low HR Run: 60 minutes (4.46 miles) on treadmill

Temp: 68. Gear: Free 3.0 v4s, shorts, t (shucked) Fuel: Got water halfway through

I wanted to do something a little different today, so I hopped on the treadmill, set it at a slowish (12/mi) pace and decided to just keep going until I didn't want to do it anymore. I got up to about 25 minutes before my HR slowly climbed up to my target of 138. I passed the TM and got some water, then started back up again, thinking it'd give me more time before having to slow down. Not really. After a few minutes, I slowed the TM a bit (not sure how much) and got it to a point to where my HR would fluctuate between 137 and 140, depending on my form. I spent the next half hour experimenting with that, trying to relax and stay loose. I decided it was time to wrap it up and do my 5-minute cool down at 55, but mostly because I need to be able to get Alec at the bus stop. I could have kept going, and kind of wanted to. That's the sort of feeling I'm shooting for - that "let's run all day" feeling. Smile

Walked first and last 5 minutes, as usual. Average HR for entire workout: 126
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon May 21, 2012 10:47 pm

Mark B wrote:
Joel H wrote:Ah yes, I had already taken Beacon Rock off the list as I remembered you had done that one and you were cursing the almighty on that one. Thanks for the info on the others. Looks like I have a few choices and now I just need to convince the wife to let me do it and get her up there....hmmm, now that is going to be the TOUGH part.

Good luck with that! You might also want to point out some of the amazing/cool/fun things to see and do in this part of the country that don't involve running. Approval

And just to be clear, I was cursing TO the almighty at Beacon Rock, not cursing AT the almighty. And yes, I hope to run that race again, when I'm ready.

The problem is NOT the amazing things to do outside of running, it is the RUNNING a marathon on vacation that the wife may not agree too. Trust me she is dying to go see her friend so that will not be a problem. I have nearly a year to convince her though. Wink
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon May 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Mark B wrote:Low HR Run: 60 minutes (4.46 miles) on treadmill

Temp: 68. Gear: Free 3.0 v4s, shorts, t (shucked) Fuel: Got water halfway through

I wanted to do something a little different today, so I hopped on the treadmill, set it at a slowish (12/mi) pace and decided to just keep going until I didn't want to do it anymore. I got up to about 25 minutes before my HR slowly climbed up to my target of 138. I passed the TM and got some water, then started back up again, thinking it'd give me more time before having to slow down. Not really. After a few minutes, I slowed the TM a bit (not sure how much) and got it to a point to where my HR would fluctuate between 137 and 140, depending on my form. I spent the next half hour experimenting with that, trying to relax and stay loose. I decided it was time to wrap it up and do my 5-minute cool down at 55, but mostly because I need to be able to get Alec at the bus stop. I could have kept going, and kind of wanted to. That's the sort of feeling I'm shooting for - that "let's run all day" feeling. Smile

Walked first and last 5 minutes, as usual. Average HR for entire workout: 126

I have seen a lot more treadmill runs lately, is that due to any other reason than just convenience or is there a specific training stimuli you are trying to get out of it?
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon May 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Joel H wrote:The problem is NOT the amazing things to do outside of running, it is the RUNNING a marathon on vacation that the wife may not agree too. Trust me she is dying to go see her friend so that will not be a problem. I have nearly a year to convince her though. Wink

Oh, that. Well, if her friend lives anywhere near Portland, that Vancouver marathon would be a good choice. There's lots of lodging options and distractions available to make up for her hubby's proclivities.

Joel H wrote:I have seen a lot more treadmill runs lately, is that due to any other reason than just convenience or is there a specific training stimuli you are trying to get out of it?

A lot of it is simply convenience - it was pissing down rain today - and the desire to make use of my handiwork with the mounted TV.

But also, there is a bit of an experiment, as well. Unlike a regular run, when I walk 5 minutes and then start running until my HR gets to about 138 - usually within a few minutes - I do my 5-minute walk and then turn the treadmill up to a pace slower than I'd ordinarily run when I'm outside. At the moment, I'm setting it at a 12/mi pace. It takes 25+ minutes for my HR to slowly climb up to that target area and a little longer for it to creep high enough to where I have to slow down. This also happens at 68 degrees, which for me is pretty warm for a run.

It makes for an extra-low intensity workout and lets me work in the 128-138 range, which is an area Maffetone has said is important but I almost never stimulate. I usually blow right through that zone on my way up to 138. I'm curious to see what that does for me. Maybe, just maybe, it'll build a more solid foundation for future gains. It also gives me a chance to practice more of a forefoot landing, which is one of the things I'm working on this year: a whole new way of moving.

I'm not willing or interested to do it all the time, but it seems like another thing worth trying from time to time.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 22, 2012 4:28 pm

Recovery Walk: About 2 miles

Weather: Overcast and stormy. Rain showers, winds 10-22 mph. Made holding the umbrella tricky!

I've been doing lunchtime walks when I do the day shift at work, and I was determined (okay, hellbent) to do it today despite stormy, windy weather. I decided to grab our bigger umbrella from home, to provide more protection. Of course, it also made for a bigger airfoil. Is there any way to log wrist and hand strength workouts? Wink

The rain let up for a while, so I was able to stow the umbrella/drogue chute for a while. The path along the Columbia River was quite unpopulated, needless to say, so I got to enjoy the peace and quiet and ended up back at work only slightly damp.

One other note: Watching the pounds slip off has been nice over the past couple of months but I finally hit true verification this morning when the belt went one notch tighter. Approval
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Wed May 23, 2012 12:37 am

Congrats on the shrinking waistline. I know that losing a belt notch represents a lot of focused effort.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 23, 2012 8:50 am

Tom H wrote:Congrats on the shrinking waistline. I know that losing a belt notch represents a lot of focused effort.

ditto.

I took some kitchen string and cut off a piece for the true size of my waist. That's been fun re-measuring, too.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 23, 2012 11:05 am

Tom H wrote:Congrats on the shrinking waistline. I know that losing a belt notch represents a lot of focused effort.

Thanks, Tom. It's also nice that my running jacket isn't so snug anymore. Smile

ounce wrote:ditto.

I took some kitchen string and cut off a piece for the true size of my waist. That's been fun re-measuring, too.

Heh. A true waist measurement always ends up being bigger than my pants size, so I end up discouraged. So I tend to avoid that. I do pay attention to the BMI charts, mainly the magic number where the chart says I finally fall out of the "overweight" category: sub-167. I hope to go lower than that, but it'll be a nice milestone when it happens.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 23, 2012 1:43 pm

My heaviest 'healthy' weight is 171. I'll get there before August.

The belt method of assessment works, as long as the pants aren't too big. I can tug in an extra notch in size 34 pants, but I have to give a notch for 36 or 38's. I've stopped wearing 38's now, as they're just too baggy.

Until I settle in around 170 or less, I'll be getting my Dockers at Goodwill for $7 a pair. Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard, but I don't want to buy a new pair knowing that I'll just have to buy a smaller pair in a couple of months.

Oh, the complications of losing weight.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 23, 2012 4:33 pm

ounce wrote:My heaviest 'healthy' weight is 171. I'll get there before August.

The belt method of assessment works, as long as the pants aren't too big. I can tug in an extra notch in size 34 pants, but I have to give a notch for 36 or 38's. I've stopped wearing 38's now, as they're just too baggy.

Until I settle in around 170 or less, I'll be getting my Dockers at Goodwill for $7 a pair. Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard, but I don't want to buy a new pair knowing that I'll just have to buy a smaller pair in a couple of months.

Oh, the complications of losing weight.

Au contraire, my increasingly petite friend: It's one of the best parts! About 6-7 years ago, I was pushing (if not over) 220. I managed to drop 47 pounds (that's enough fat to fill a 5-gallon pickle bucket to overflowing, btw) using the South Beach Diet - and one of my favorite memories was going to Kohl's and trying on replacement Dockers. Those "What? You mean I'm down to this size? Really?!?" moments are things you can't forget.

It's good to channel your Scottish* heritage, but hey... they're Dockers. Live a little! Very Happy

*-Recent ancestors were named Caskey and Johnston, and yes, Uncle Scrooge was my favorite Disney character. So I understand being cheap, er, thrifty. Wink

Last edited by Mark B on Wed May 23, 2012 11:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Walk: 2.63 miles

Weather: Overcast, 59, a little breezy, with a brief shower.

I was done with lunch a little earlier than usual today, so I decided to extend my walk by heading over the Interstate 5 Bridge that crosses the Columbia River and links Vancouver and Portland. It was a nice day for it, though the slight breeze was, er, enhanced by all the trucks zipping by 10 feet away from me on the freeway.

Despite the traffic, it's a nice walk, with a great view of the river. You get a good view of ships at the Ports of Portland and Vancouver, and if the weather's clear (it wasn't today), you get a great view of Mount Hood. Approval

Here's a view of the bridge at sunset.

Road to Nowhere - Page 20 Sunset10

My walk takes me along the street you see in the foreground, under a railroad bridge, barely visible at left, then up and over the river. I cross it completely, making sure I touch the ground in Oregon, before heading back.

Last edited by Mark B on Wed May 23, 2012 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Wed May 23, 2012 9:15 pm

Nice pic Mark & sounds like a nice walk.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 23, 2012 11:20 pm

Dave P wrote:Nice pic Mark & sounds like a nice walk.

Hey Dave! Nice to see you back.

It is a nice walk. I've been using walks for active recovery and to burn a few hundred extra calories a day as I work on getting my weight down. It's also very nice to not spend my lunch hour hunched in front of my computer. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Thu May 24, 2012 11:20 am

Very cool picture and looks like a great place for a walk...lots of things to keep your eyes wandering.

I found out that our friends live in Oak Harbor, Washington which looks to be on the complete opposite side of where you are so I am not sure if any of those races will work. Looks to be about 4+ hours from you based on a quick google search. Hmm....what to do, what to do.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 24, 2012 11:30 am

Joel H wrote:Very cool picture and looks like a great place for a walk...lots of things to keep your eyes wandering.

I found out that our friends live in Oak Harbor, Washington which looks to be on the complete opposite side of where you are so I am not sure if any of those races will work. Looks to be about 4+ hours from you based on a quick google search. Hmm....what to do, what to do.

Oak Harbor?! Your friends live in one of the prettiest places on the planet! It is, alas, a ways from where I live.

As far as races go, I'd have to do some looking.. but nothing is popping up immediately for the summer months. Hm...

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 25, 2012 2:34 pm

Low HR Run: 8.25 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy with some sun, cool, a breeze. 52-57 degrees. Gear: Free 3.0 v4s, shorts, T. Fuel: Carried handheld with nuun.

I had to turn yesterday into a rest day (my dance card was full), so I knew I wanted to go longer on my run this morning. That meant forgoing a barefoot run in favor of a nice low HR ramble in the country. (Maybe I can sneak in a mile or so barefoot tomorrow.)

I started off easy, knowing I'd be tempted to push it after a rest day, and let my HR rise more slowly. I hit the first non warmup mile at a nice pace, and, even better, didn't see the pace fall off too much for the next mile. Getting better. I checked out the llamas and alpacas and headed down Llama Ridge, passed the 4-mile mark and decided it was time to turn around and head back up the hill. (I'd thought about doing 9 originally.)

Odd observation of the day: It's easier for me to run at a lower HR going uphill than downhill lately. I guess my body knows how to slow down but not speed up and still show some restraint. Very Happy

Walked the first and last 5 minutes, as usual.

Average HR for entire run: 134
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri May 25, 2012 4:26 pm

Nice run, Mark. I'm glad you got to visit the llama and alpaca!
It's been fun to track your barefoot running progress.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 25, 2012 4:50 pm

KathyK wrote:Nice run, Mark. I'm glad you got to visit the llama and alpaca!
It's been fun to track your barefoot running progress.

Hi Kathy! The critters were a tad antisocial today, but I did get a glimpse of them. The even better view was of the strawberry fields getting closer and closer to producing berries. Mmm.

I'm really enjoying the barefoot experiment. I *might* have overdone it a bit last week (as evidenced by my abraded feet) but they have pretty much healed up now. That foot skin provides a nice way of keeping you honest, that's for sure.

I just started reading Barefoot Ken Bob's "Barefoot Running Step by Step" and learning interesting things already. More details on that later.

Road to Nowhere - Page 20 Images10

Last edited by Mark B on Sat May 26, 2012 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Question, sir. In Maffetone, he said (if I remember correctly) that when you're figuring the HR target, one could add 5 bpm, if you're in good shape. Does he ever say if you're in better than good shape that one could add 10 bpm?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 25, 2012 5:56 pm

ounce wrote:Question, sir. In Maffetone, he said (if I remember correctly) that when you're figuring the HR target, one could add 5 bpm, if you're in good shape. Does he ever say if you're in better than good shape that one could add 10 bpm?

I'll defer the words of the Maff himself:

Calculate Your Own Maximum Aerobic Training Heart Rate

To find your maximum aerobic training heart rate, there are two important steps. First, subtract your age from 180. Next, find the best category for your present state of fitness and health, and make the appropriate adjustments:

1. Subtract your age from 180.

2. Modify this number by selecting among the following categories the one that best matches your fitness and health profile:

a. If you have or are recovering from a major illness (heart disease, any operation or hospital stay, etc.) or are on any regular medication, subtract an additional 10.

b. If you are injured, have regressed in training or competition, get more than two colds or bouts of flu per year, have allergies or asthma, or if you have been inconsistent or are just getting back into training, subtract an additional 5.

c. If you have been training consistently (at least four times weekly) for up to two years without any of the problems just mentioned, keep the number (180–age) the same.

d. If you have been training for more than two years without any of the problems listed above, and have made progress in competition without injury, add 5.

Source: http://philmaffetone.com/180formula.cfm

In other words, no.

I don't blame you for asking, though. EVERY runner wants to cheat that heart rate up a few more beats, just to get a little faster! (Myself included.) And while OF COURSE you can run faster than you can at your MAF heart rate, doing so defeats the purpose of this type of training. You start burning sugar instead of fat, you stop building mitochondria, and you predispose yourself to injury and burnout.

Full disclosure: I bump my target HR up by about 5 bpm, from 133 (180-48) to 138, even though I probably don't hit his strict definition of being +5 worthy. Oh well.

When I pushed it up another 5 bpm and set my HR target at 143 previously, I did go faster... but I also ended up seriously overtrained. I went out of balance. This is why I'm sticking with the lower number now.

You mileage may vary, but caveat emptor.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat May 26, 2012 5:53 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Question, sir. In Maffetone, he said (if I remember correctly) that when you're figuring the HR target, one could add 5 bpm, if you're in good shape. Does he ever say if you're in better than good shape that one could add 10 bpm?

I don't blame you for asking, though. EVERY runner wants to cheat that heart rate up a few more beats, just to get a little faster! (Myself included.) And while OF COURSE you can run faster than you can at your MAF heart rate, doing so defeats the purpose of this type of training. You start burning sugar instead of fat, you stop building mitochondria, and you predispose yourself to injury and burnout.

You mileage may vary, but caveat emptor.

You may have over reached in the downside by saying mitochondria stops building.

But it's not clear to me yet how the affect of low carb diet (or much lower than traditional running doctrine) skews the burning fat instead of sugar equation. Yesterday, I did not notice any reduction in energy on my 10 mile run.

I wonder if, like buidling endurance by a slow increase in mileage, one can truly depend solely on fat for endurance events. I've read where triathletes who are strict Paleo do it. The body always has pretty much an infinite supply of fat, even those with single digit fat percentage.

I know quite clearly at what point my body will demand carbs by its cramping. Wouldn't it be interesting, if I could PR without carbo-loading? Ah, the journey continues. Thanks for the clarification.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat May 26, 2012 1:46 pm

ounce wrote:You may have over reached in the downside by saying mitochondria stops building.

According to Maffetone (my source in this), I didn't overreach. His theory/guidelines note that, once you have breached the aerobic/anaerobic threshold, the stimulus on the body changes and your body begins adapting in a different way. It's not just about burning fat vs. burning sugar.

I'm trying to remember this correctly, but I believe he argues that going anaerobic during the aerobic build phase raises blood lactate levels to the point to where it shuts down adaptations that improve the aerobic system (which would mean mitochondrial growth). If anaerobic metabolism/physiology is designed for emergencies, then it's logical that anything that would get in the way of maximum power would be suppressed.

Again, these are Maffetone's theories. I have no empirical evidence to prove them right or wrong, except my own. I did notice when I started sneaking in anaerobic work before I was ready for it, my MAF times plateaued and then collapsed. Whether it was by short-circuiting the aerobic process, or simply wearing myself out with too much work that was just barely anaerobic, I don't know. But what I do know is, I don't want that to happen again.

That said, even Maffetone says anaerobic work is necessary. However, he says the best approach is to continue doing low HR work until your MAF test times begin to plateau. At that point, he says, you've gotten as much out of the aerobic training as you can, and you're ready to start working in anaerobic workouts/competition - no more than 3x per week - for six to eight weeks. After that time, if you return to pure low HR work, you'll find that your MAF times will begin to improve again, thanks to the extra strength you've built.

Sounds suspiciously like periodization, doesn't it? Maffetone doesn't get much credit in this area because all most people talk about is the low HR work. But while he's still not a big fan of it, Maffetone does see anaerobic work as a useful tool. Just at the proper time.

And that's just it. I don't know that I've ever reached the point to where I've plateaued in low HR work. For many people, simply the low HR work and aerobic development can yield huge gains in efficiency and speed.

Didn't mean to write a dissertation on it, but it's more complicated than it appears.

ounce wrote:But it's not clear to me yet how the affect of low carb diet (or much lower than traditional running doctrine) skews the burning fat instead of sugar equation. Yesterday, I did not notice any reduction in energy on my 10 mile run.

I wonder if, like buidling endurance by a slow increase in mileage, one can truly depend solely on fat for endurance events. I've read where triathletes who are strict Paleo do it. The body always has pretty much an infinite supply of fat, even those with single digit fat percentage.

I know quite clearly at what point my body will demand carbs by its cramping. Wouldn't it be interesting, if I could PR without carbo-loading? Ah, the journey continues. Thanks for the clarification.

If you could PR without carbo loading, it'd be impressive. And, imagine this: if you'd trained for the race low carb, then loaded before the race and supplemented carbs during the race! Does the term "rocket fuel" bring anything to mind? Very Happy

I know even skinny ultra runners will take carbs during a run, as much to keep their brain from fuzzing out as anything.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat May 26, 2012 4:46 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:You may have over reached in the downside by saying mitochondria stops building.

According to Maffetone (my source in this), I didn't overreach. His theory/guidelines note that, once you have breached the aerobic/anaerobic threshold, the stimulus on the body changes and your body begins adapting in a different way. It's not just about burning fat vs. burning sugar.

I'm trying to remember this correctly, but I believe he argues that going anaerobic during the aerobic build phase raises blood lactate levels to the point to where it shuts down adaptations that improve the aerobic system (which would mean mitochondrial growth). If anaerobic metabolism/physiology is designed for emergencies, then it's logical that anything that would get in the way of maximum power would be suppressed.

Again, these are Maffetone's theories. I have no empirical evidence to prove them right or wrong, except my own. I did notice when I started sneaking in anaerobic work before I was ready for it, my MAF times plateaued and then collapsed. Whether it was by short-circuiting the aerobic process, or simply wearing myself out with too much work that was just barely anaerobic, I don't know. But what I do know is, I don't want that to happen again.

That said, even Maffetone says anaerobic work is necessary. However, he says the best approach is to continue doing low HR work until your MAF test times begin to plateau. At that point, he says, you've gotten as much out of the aerobic training as you can, and you're ready to start working in anaerobic workouts/competition - no more than 3x per week - for six to eight weeks. After that time, if you return to pure low HR work, you'll find that your MAF times will begin to improve again, thanks to the extra strength you've built.

Sounds suspiciously like periodization, doesn't it? Maffetone doesn't get much credit in this area because all most people talk about is the low HR work. But while he's still not a big fan of it, Maffetone does see anaerobic work as a useful tool. Just at the proper time.

And that's just it. I don't know that I've ever reached the point to where I've plateaued in low HR work. For many people, simply the low HR work and aerobic development can yield huge gains in efficiency and speed.

Didn't mean to write a dissertation on it, but it's more complicated than it appears.

Yeah, I was thinking the mitochondria made the muscles cells, instead of producing the ATP which is the fuel. I found an article that said the slow twitch muscles use the ATP and the fast twitch can't use mitochondria (ATP), but uses glucose instead. So, I sit corrected. http://members.shaw.ca/bodybuilding/Muscles/structure.html

ounce wrote:But it's not clear to me yet how the affect of low carb diet (or much lower than traditional running doctrine) skews the burning fat instead of sugar equation. Yesterday, I did not notice any reduction in energy on my 10 mile run.

If you could PR without carbo loading, it'd be impressive. And, imagine this: if you'd trained for the race low carb, then loaded before the race and supplemented carbs during the race! Does the term "rocket fuel" bring anything to mind? Very Happy

I know even skinny ultra runners will take carbs during a run, as much to keep their brain from fuzzing out as anything.

The 'rocket fuel' metaphor was pretty much the carbo loading effect the website I first read about the low-carb training for endurance athletes. It does work. I had 64 grams of pasta (the 'serving size' on the wrapper about 9 hours before a 5K in April, after doing 9 miles in the morning, and I was not hurting or feeling tired during the race.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat May 26, 2012 5:48 pm

ounce wrote:Yeah, I was thinking the mitochondria made the muscles cells, instead of producing the ATP which is the fuel. I found an article that said the slow twitch muscles use the ATP and the fast twitch can't use mitochondria (ATP), but uses glucose instead. So, I sit corrected.

http://members.shaw.ca/bodybuilding/Muscles/structure.html

The 'rocket fuel' metaphor was pretty much the carbo loading effect the website I first read about the low-carb training for endurance athletes. It does work. I had 64 grams of pasta (the 'serving size' on the wrapper about 9 hours before a 5K in April, after doing 9 miles in the morning, and I was not hurting or feeling tired during the race.

That's an interesting link, Ounce. Thanks for sharing. I tried a low carb diet in my build-up for the Eugene Marathon back in 2010 - for about a month. It was awful at first -- I was practically crawling after a mile or two (it really did feel like it feels when you hit the wall) -- but my body started adapting to it as it started tapping into fat stores.

Whether that contributed to my PR a few months later, I can't say for sure... but it probably didn't hurt!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat May 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Had a similar experience as heavy legs. I'm not feeling it now. The good thing is that if I abandon low-carbing, there won't be any withdrawal pains.

Separately, I saw you use Nuun. What do you think about it? How long does it take to dissolve? Would you (or have you) ever not dissolve it, before drinking? Maybe even swallow it whole or in pieces?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 43 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31 ... 43  Next