365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brooksie Way 1/2 Marathon, Rochester, Mich -- Race Report

+4
Seth Harrison
John Kilpatrick
Gobbles
mountandog
8 posters

Go down

Brooksie Way 1/2 Marathon, Rochester, Mich -- Race Report Empty Brooksie Way 1/2 Marathon, Rochester, Mich -- Race Report

Post  mountandog Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:18 pm

It was a crisp sunny morning today. 41 degrees and about a 10mph North wind. But.......at least it was sunny. The Brooksie is a nice race about 2500runners through some subs, a dirt road and a couple of slag trails. One thing I've never quite figured out is what to wear on these kind of days. Wore a heavier than normal long-sleeve shirt, throwaway gloves and a headband. Pretty good, but should have worn a short sleeve with arm sleeves. I got quite warm the last few miles even though the temp didn't change and the wind was cold. The course is downhill for the first 5, uphill for the second 5 and relatively level for the last 3. So you have to watch your pace. Get a bit ahead early knowing you'll bleed some, especially 7 - 10 and then give it what you've got left.

I haven't run many 1/2s and it's been about 15 months since my last one so a new PR wouldn't be a big deal with three more marathons and a couple of thousand miles under my belt since. This was kind of a throw-in race that my brother talked me into running so I said what the hell earlier this week. Glad I did.

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect only four weeks since a marathon PR of 3:08, but I ran 1:28:36, which was a least a minute better than I'd expected. An 11 min PR, but that's compared to the "old" me. Finished 45/2643 overall and AG 5/184 (can't wait to turn 55 next month!!) and was far enough behind the guys in front that a few seconds wouldn't have made a difference.

Now the big question, can I run the Grand Rapids Marathon in two weeks and give it a good go. Maybe a new PR. Two weeks isn't a lot of recovery time, but I surprised myself today so you never know. I haven't registered yet and will give it a couple of days before committing. We shall see.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Brooksie Way 1/2 Marathon, Rochester, Mich -- Race Report Empty Re: Brooksie Way 1/2 Marathon, Rochester, Mich -- Race Report

Post  Gobbles Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:44 pm

Congratulations.
Looks like the temperature was similar in Detroit and Atlanta.
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Brooksie Way 1/2 Marathon, Rochester, Mich -- Race Report Empty Re: Brooksie Way 1/2 Marathon, Rochester, Mich -- Race Report

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:36 pm

Wow - great pace and congrats on the race!!!! You should probably have a good sense of where you stand for the marathon in a couple of days - BIG difference in recovery between a marathon and a 13.1. Great job!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:20 am

Very nice overall and AG finish. You'll probably start taking home some hardware once you hit the new AG!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:56 am

Congrats on the huge PR, and yes, I think you can be ready to run the Grand Rapids in two weeks.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:45 pm

Congrats on a good run, and I guess I'll see you in Grand Rapids (I'm only running the half).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:45 pm

Great job and congrats on the PR.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Very nice job on the race and a great PR.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down