365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overreaching or overtraining?

5 posters

Go down

Overreaching or overtraining? Empty Overreaching or overtraining?

Post  Kenny B. Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:12 pm

There are two classic physiological signs that you can prophylactically monitor or use to confirm a hypothesis that you are overreaching or overtraining. First, check to see whether your heart rate is elevated before getting out of bed in the morning. A heart rate that is elevated by at least 10 percent for three or more consecutive mornings suggests that you are at least overreaching. Second, if you wear a heart-rate monitor, a higher heart rate for a given pace is another sign of pushing too far. - from relentless foward progression

Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Overreaching or overtraining? Empty Re: Overreaching or overtraining?

Post  mul21 Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:44 pm

And that's exactly why I bailed on a tempo run earlier this week. I usually see a HR of 135-145 during a warm up and it hit 154 by the end of mile 1. No reason to try to push when something that glaringly obvious shows up.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Good stuff Kenny...I love the analytical side of my training and monitoring my HR is a big part of that.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:44 pm

There are times I want to run without hr strap like today. But then I remember how important it is to have that data for reasons above.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:34 pm

Kenny, you missed the 3rd one. Very Happy
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:40 am

Kenny B. wrote:Second, if you wear a heart-rate monitor, a higher heart rate for a given pace is another sign of pushing too far.

Do you watch your HR for the entire run for this warning sign or look at your avg. pace & avg. HR for a given run to be on alert for an elevation?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:17 am

Stephanie wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:Second, if you wear a heart-rate monitor, a higher heart rate for a given pace is another sign of pushing too far.

Do you watch your HR for the entire run for this warning sign or look at your avg. pace & avg. HR for a given run to be on alert for an elevation?

For recovery run I look at it at the start if feeling tired or maybe rundown. If it is high then I know to slow down or cut the run. (this rarely has happened). If after the run avg is higher out of zone I will look at RH in morning and the next days run.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:51 pm

Kenny B wrote:For recovery run I look at it at the start if feeling tired or maybe rundown. If it is high then I know to slow down or cut the run. (this rarely has happened). If after the run avg is higher out of zone I will look at RH in morning and the next days run.

Makes perfect sense! Thanks!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum